[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey there, entry level newfag here. All the time I see talk of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Trout Mask.png (159 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Trout Mask.png
159 KB, 300x300
Hey there, entry level newfag here. All the time I see talk of albums being more accessible or less accessible. But when I listen to the less accessible albums, I just can't get what's so good about them. How do I "get into" less accessible albums?
>>
TMR is all about knowing some background to Beefheart's influences. Listen to some Chicago blues and the Beefheart albums before TMR and you'll sort of understand what's going.

For stuff like Harsh Noise, it takes some adjusting. I'd start with more accessible "normal" music like Big Black, then get progressively noisier with something like Les Rallizes Denudes, and then when you're comfortable with that, listen to 1930 by Merzbow and see if you enjoy it.

Free Jazz and other avant-garde music like that is best enjoyed by listening to the stuff that preceded it so you can really appreciate just how fucking weird it is.
>>
I do not understand why people think this album is *that* strange. I think it's because of the silly title and le silly trout maymay man. I view it as somewhat comedic freestyling album.

Also, I genuinely like Beefheart's voice and think that the strange experimentations with odd synchopations and tonality was interesting. Not something I would listen to for fun, but enjoyable if you are intent on listening carefully.
>>
>>63912456
>>63912596
Honestly I just used that album as an example. I was mostly referring to inaccessible shit in general like Soundtrack for the Blind or the 2deep4u shit AnCo makes.
>>
>>63912307
stop following memes
listen to what you like
theres no such thing as entry level and patrician music, and it doesnt even matter where you find yourself
i understand you're trying to fit in, but there's nothing outside of this scope

>>63912650
AnCo is pop, there's nothing to get.
SftB and most of Swans is pretty straight forward
just listen to music.
>>
>>63912650

I agree with you about Animal Collective, although I haven't systematically listened to them (as in gone through their entire discography carefully), I did give Strawberry Jam and MPP each a careful listen, and while there are a couple tracks on MPP that I really liked, I just couldn't help but thinking that the rest of it was noise.

I would probably need to see related bands to AnCo as well as predecessors, and then find something that can trace the origin of their sound back in time to more vanilla stuff, and then start with that older vanilla stuff and work forward to them as well as through their full discography. Going through chronologically often reveals that artists were more genius than you initially thought in some innovation.
>>
>listen to what you like

I have found some of my favorite artists, albums, and songs by taking risks and branching out, often based upon recommendations, even meme ones.
>>
>>63912307
i think you must be always open minded about new stuff. that means not judging it with parameters you would normally use on what you call "more accessible" music.
i also learned that getting to know the history and social background of some music helps me appreciate it at some level (even when i dont really like the sound).
>>
>>63912692
>AnCo is pop, there's nothing to get.
You're thinking of MPP, albums like Spirits They're Gone, Spirits They Vanished or Danse Manatee are weird af.
>>
>>63912692
>AnCo
>Just pop
>>
>>63912456
How would I get into Frank Zappa? He made so much stuff under so many different genres, that it's almost impossible to get into his most experimental stuff.
>>
>>63912307
For Captain Beefheart specifically i'd reccomend listening to Safe As Milk before Trout Mask. It's much more listenable and can ease you into TMR. A lot of times with these less accessible albums you might not like them at first but weeks, months or even years later you'll miss them because nothing else sounds like them. You have to work your way into niches. If you just go for the most extreme right away you'll be turned off.
>>
File: Frank_zappa_flowchart_2.png (2 MB, 1750x2795) Image search: [Google]
Frank_zappa_flowchart_2.png
2 MB, 1750x2795
>>63914767
Use RateYourMusic and the the 4chanmusic Wiki for flowcharts and reccomendations/reviews for different artists. Here's one for Zappa. Most people (including me) will tell you to start with Hot Rats.
>>
>>63914767
Listen chronologically, aknowledge the influences for Mothers Of Invention albums, and solo too.
>>
>>63912650
I love AnCo but a lot of their really weird shit isn't that great. It's okay for the concepts and experimentation I guess but not something i'd listen to for fun. For Swans i'd listen to their most acclaimed records first (Filth, To Be Kind and The Seer) and then work your way back into their catalog if you like what you hear.
>>
For me personally, "inaccessible" usually just means that it will take me a couple listens and some time to let it marinate before I can really pick up on all the subtleties and nuances and start to enjoy it
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.