[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Skinny puppy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7
File: DSC_0003.jpg (3 MB, 3920x2204) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0003.jpg
3 MB, 3920x2204
Literally just started listening to this band and I love them. I don't know what genre it is but I was wondering if you guys could recommend any similar bands?
>>
Nine Inch Nails
>>
File: psalm 69.jpg (464 KB, 1425x1425) Image search: [Google]
psalm 69.jpg
464 KB, 1425x1425
>>63910954
Ministry (pre-Filth Pig)
>>
>>63911129

Thats actually a good band, thanks for telling me about them.
>>
whats a good skinny pup album to start with?
>>
>>63910954
Listen to The Tear Garden, that's Skinny Puppy's collaborative project with The Legendary Pink Dots
Pic-related is better than any of SP's stuff, in my opinion.
>>
>>63910954
the overarching genre they belong to is industrial (or post-industrial depending on who you talk to) but specifically they're early EBM and were very influential on industrial rock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GctfSvFX--s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN-NnNTE-ro
>>
KMFDM
>>63911129
I can't stand Jourgensen's superfake vocals but the music is okay
>>
File: DSC_0007.jpg (3 MB, 3920x2204) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0007.jpg
3 MB, 3920x2204
Op here, you guys have done well. Really got me into industrial music. Have a picture of my dog as a reward
>>
>>63911607
one of my favorite bands, glad you liked it!
>>63913458
nice doge
>>
>>63910954
Industrial/Canadian Heroin Junkie-core

>>63911682
Too Dark Park or Rabies
>>
>>63913458
fyi, especially on /mu/, you're gonna trigger some people by calling them industrial. the word industrial first got applied to music with stuff like throbbing gristle or test dept. skinny puppy is undeniably influenced by that stuff but it is a pretty big departure musically and a lot of old school industrial fans on /mu/ get butthurt about that. it's not wrong to call the newer stuff industrial but it can be confusing so if someone gets pissy that's where it's coming from. despite all that old school industrial is a really cool genre and well worth your time to check out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls5ff7B-JUk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiYidehDb0Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZWmYEUoweg&nohtml5=False
>>
>>63913675
>Rabies
Worlock and Tin Omen are amazing on an otherwise meh album. Especially Worlock with that creative Helter Skelter sample.

>>63913689
Skinny Puppy is pretty much right on the dividing line between old-school industrial and stuff like NIN and KMFDM.

Where does My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult fall on the /mu/ industrial snob spectrum?
>>
>>63914172
My general rule of thumb (which a VERY generous broad stroke and should be taken with a grain of salt) is that if one of the members of a band that are perceivably industrial are a degree or two from Pigface, then they are industrial.

But yea Throbbing Gristle bla bla bla Industrial records bla bla bla *whines about black people bitching about white rock artists appropriating early rhythm and blues of modern*
>>
>>63913689
/mu/ doesn't give two shits about industrial, maybe a bit of the og stuff exclusively to look patrician.
Also, only pretentious fuckwits would get butthurt by seeing SP being called industrial. They're one of the genre's essential artists and contributed a fair share to the genre.
>>
File: 71d3axPWynL._SL1450_.jpg (50 KB, 1450x1450) Image search: [Google]
71d3axPWynL._SL1450_.jpg
50 KB, 1450x1450
>>63913675
Rabies fucking blows.

Bites is their best album.

>>63911607
Frontline Assembly
Front 242
Nitzer Ebb
Prometheus Burning
Kevorkian Death Cycle

Also just call it Electro Industrial and all the 1st wave industrial elitists will leave you alone.
>>
>>63915762
Oops... Recs were meant for OP.
>>
>>63915493
I've seen some pretty awesome Industrial threads here. You must have missed them Anon.
>>
Yo real talk, why does Mind never get talked about? I think it's their best album, but it always gets overlooked as everyone goes for Too Dark Park, Bites, or Last Rights.
>>
>>63915857
Mind is really good also. Cleanse, Fold and Manipulate is great too.
>>
If you ever get a chance see Skinny Puppy live. I've seen them 3 times. They are without a doubt the best live act I've ever seen. And I've seen some big acts.
>>
>>63915901
>>63915857
Also don't forget their 1st album: Remission. Also great.
>>
File: god possession.jpg (9 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
god possession.jpg
9 KB, 225x224
If you're looking to get into the more original industrial side of things (Throbbing Gristle, Coil, etc.) This album is like a perfect bridge between it and the Skinny Puppy/KMFDM sound.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.