[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
if u like this album your are stupid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7
File: 1455558096991.jpg (184 KB, 754x754) Image search: [Google]
1455558096991.jpg
184 KB, 754x754
if u like this album your are stupid
>>
I'm dumb as fuuuck then
>>
Welp might as well kill my self desu
>>
File: FONVQWZh.jpg (192 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
FONVQWZh.jpg
192 KB, 1024x1024
>>63910726
It's a solid 7-7.5/10
Also have a better cover
>>
File: 53.gif (322 KB, 200x230) Image search: [Google]
53.gif
322 KB, 200x230
>>
When this leaked people will non-ironically comparing it to Pet Sounds and calling it their greatest albums for like 2-3 days

It was fucking embarrassing
>>
>>63910773
thank u
>>
>>63910773
Then p4k and melonman panned it, and you totally hated it the whole time, right?
>>
its probably their weakest release since campfire songs, but its bretty good
>>
>>63910773
People relating it to Pet Sounds is fucking stupid.

It being a great album however, is not. I don't give a fuck what anyone says. Everyone will look back on this in a year and realize its genius. All I've ever heard from critique is "it's bad because i miss their old sound and wish they would go back to it" or "the bass sounds like farts" or "the entire album is hocketing".

None of those are legitimate criticisms. Someone even said the other day it's "The Same Songs: The Album". If you think all of these tracks sound exactly the same you're tone deaf and retarded and apparently can't differentiate song structures and melodies.
>>
>>63911142
how is it good
>>
>>63911118
>campfire songs
>weak

ULTRA PLEB DETECTED HOLY SHIT
>>
>>63911142
Not that guy (I'm >>63910757,) and I agree that the criticisms you listed are pretty inaccurate, I just don't think it's a masterpiece like you say. Other than The Burglars this album truly didn't have any god-tier moments unlike pretty much every other album by them, and there were few great moments as well. Overall it was just consistently good.
>>
>>63911170
sorry senpai but its true

i put it on to study, but other than doggy and the "THE COLOR PEOPLE SAY OH NOOO" (i love that melody a lot), there's nothing memorable about it

here comes the indian is impressive imo, even though I don't listen to it much
>>
>>63911160
Oh my god I need to make a fucking copy pasta because I've explained this at least 300 times on this fucking board.

I can visualize geometric shapes falling into place on canvas, and the hocketing certainly helps push forth this idea. Each song is made up of simplistic little phrases rather than long drawn out lead melodies, and they all stand to support eachother in the over arching piece of art. The vocals are the main focus, while everything else falls into place around them. Lying in The Grass and Vertical especially invoke images of cubism to me very strongly, while a lot of the lyrical concepts focus on Dadaism. Floridada being the obvious one, but vertical even seems to be about how social status is a societal construct they're not exactly familiar with and don't wish to be. Working up a corporate ladder, wanting to build upwards, giving in to material obsession, it's not something they desire. They even discuss this on their critically acclaimed song My Girls

>I don't mean to seem like I care about material things, like a social status

I feel like a lot of people are completely missing the point of Painting With and it's really disappointing but it's fine I guess. Because I see it for what it is (or at least what I believe it to be) and it's a fucking masterpiece in my mind.

I will go more in depth if you care to hear more. But, mostly, people just hate the hocketing apparently and that's fine, but to sit there and say it's an absolute shit album is objectively wrong.
>>
>>63911263
>to me
>to me
>to me

i dont believe that albums are objectively good or bad, bad, but i agree when you say that people can be missing its point. obviously the boyz knew how direct and how much hocketting they put on and whatnot, so yeah just dismissing it because songs sound similar at first is not giving it a proper try.

i understand why it's not for most people, I am not a fan of some of its songs (bagels in kiev for some reason turns me off), but yeah I wish more people would look past the hocketting and stuff and see it for what it is
>>
>>63911245
Ugh. I'm about to copy and paste my entire post from last night talking about Campfire Songs. If you're listening to Campfire Songs for "memorable" moments, you're listening to it like it's a pop album. It's a concept album. Many of their albums are. It's about the stories it tells and the themes of death that are consistently presented throughout the album.

>not liking "the sky has brakes, what a good way to rise" melody and rhythm in De Soto De Sun
>We've been beaten - we're dying, let us congregate
>the sound of the dog collar jingling as if the dog in doggy is circling his dog bed right before he lays down as they're playing the song about his death, almost as if he's there in spirit
>two corvettes beautiful breezy melody at the beginning and the jarring dissonance that occurs as they draw nearer each other on the freeway and eventually collide

I swear to god some people just don't listen to these albums with the right ideas in mind. You can't just take a LOT of their albums at face value.
>>
>>63911245
you didn't "study" hard enough if you missed the overarching themes and symbolism present in the music itself.

>inb4 pretentious
>>
>>63911362
>>63911399
you're tempting me to listen to it more attentively soon.

i think that this guy has the right idea on how to listen to albums, expectations and shit can make the experience a bad one, you have to take it for what it is instead, i agree with that.

however, when i say "weak", i personally dont mean "damn this is a bad album baka 2bh senpai chan", I mean that its the one I put on the least or forget about the most, etc.
>>
why does it seem anytime any actual music discussion happens in a thread it dies? does everyone literally come to /mu/ just to shit post?
>>
>>63911492
u got it
>>
heard some tracks in german radio
shit was whack and cringy as shit
>>
>>63911492
p much

/mu/ is a man in a desert dying of thirst but when you bring him something to drink he'd rather have a coke than water
>>
>>63911487
i suppose i see what you mean, but seriously, look into the lyrics, and give into the desolate ambience their screened in porch live session gives.

it's probably my number 1 album by them though so i'm pretty biased. my least favorite is hollindagain, i really can only enjoy pride and fight and forest gospel from that one. but i also haven't listened to it as much as their other albums.

painting with is a struggle for me to decide, but its certainly top 3 for me, up there with STGSTV and MPP. Probably tied with MPP.

And see, the thing with MPP to me is, it seems like it's mostly just a direct pop album but rather than being entirely about love, it's about your social stance and family matters. i really haven't quite cracked what the themes and ideas for MPP are fully, maybe they really were just trying to make a straight up pop album with great singles....I dunno.
>>
anyway, I feel that this would have been better recieved as an EP. I think it's such a critical let down because people expected their post CHz album to be a "return to form" (even if CHz is pretty awesome to me, fuckin 7.4 motherfuckers)

if this were an EP, i would keep
>FloriDada
>Vertical
>Lying in the Grass
>The Burglars
>Natural Selection
>On Delay
>Golden Gal
>>
>>63911546
what is PW about for you?
>>
>>63911584
well the only people anyone expecting a "return to form" have to blame for not liking the album is themselves. there is no "form" to return to first and foremost, every single album is a new venture for animal collective. some may share similarities but overall they are wildly different.
>>
>>63911603
This. >>63911263

If anything to me it's trying to visualize concepts of Cubism through sonic space and present imagery of said art style, while also presenting ideals of Dadaism and a want for a change in society. Something different from the status quo. I'm about to leave so I can't get too into detail but read some of their interviews about the album and you'll have a better idea of what they were going for.
>>
>>63911612
yea, i agree with you, the fault is on them if thats the case
>>
>>63911640
dont leave senpai

i just want to add, seeing this songs live was very nice. I felt drunk and I didn't even sip alcohol ya kno? theyre so explosive and wacky
>>
>>63911677
it sucked that the volumes weren't mixed correctly on Floridada and I couldn't hear avey's verse at all though. it was the last song, too :(
>>
>>63911677
I just got some new Adidas and I'm going to the outlet to buy some outfits bro. It's getting late, I gotta go lol. I'd love to stay here all night and discuss Animal Collective but I've been doing that the past two nights and I've got other things I should be doing.
>>
>>63911698
Glad you got to see them live. I was supposed to go with a friend on May 10th to their show in DC but we had a falling out and I ain't going by myself. I saw them at Mountain Oasis though and it was pretty gnarly.
>>
>>63911584
Where's Bagels
>>
>>63911734
was the fallout caused because he prefers nike over adidas
>>
>>63911734
Feel like I'll really regret not going though, heard they played Alvin Row and Loch Raven and some other older jams....man...sounds awesome.

I really do hope they go back to traditional instrumentation and I really do hope to see Deakin return because he adds some really cool elements to their music. His guitar work really adds a nice bounciness to a lot of their tracks. Gotham comes to mind first and foremost. Awesome stuff.
>>
>>63911745
yea for some reason I don't like bagels very much. its definetly my least favorite one on the album, dunno why
>>
>>63911760
no it was caused because he said it isn't his fault i have useless skills and a worthless job all over a political debate over trump. he's the one that got discharged from the military lol. but whatever, he's a pos. I don't need someone like that in my life anymore. he's always been the one to stir the shit in the pot and i'm 25 now. i didn't mind it in highschool but there comes a time when you realize who you don't need to be around anymore. it also didn't help he said that shit about an hour after my grandfather died and he knew. he's just an insensitive prick.
>>
>>63911761
oh man, i dont mean to put salt in the wound or anything but once I realized that they were playing Alvin Row, I freaked. This reworked version sounded awesome. Loch Raven was one of the highlights as well, that song feels like a fairy tale about to go wrong or something
>>
>>63911807
damn thats rough my friend, hope youre not dealing with that still
>>
>>63911812
Yeahhhhhhhh god damn man. Both are such good songs. Here's to hoping their next album is more ambient and droney than poppy.
>>
>>63911853
dont hold your breath dog. But they probably still have it in them to do it
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTBRc1V9P9U

Did you guys see them cover There She Goes Again with John Cale?
>>
File: 1453663691457.jpg (18 KB, 142x236) Image search: [Google]
1453663691457.jpg
18 KB, 142x236
>>63911640
>Dadaism
>DADAISM

This is one of the most pretentious posts I've ever read on this website.
>>
>>63911886
>don't hold your breath
>implying Deak won't have greater influence on the next album just like Panda did after Person Pitch and put a fuckton of old-anco sounding stuff in
Deak will prevail
>>
File: 1202.png (282 KB, 350x465) Image search: [Google]
1202.png
282 KB, 350x465
>>63911950
I'm not even that guy and I'm usually a lurker- you are a god damn fucking cunt!

FloriDADA! Dadaism is the whole subject of the fucking album you ignorant prick! Jesus fucking Christ! There is nothing wrong with knowing something! FUCK YOU!
>>
>>63911950
>FloriDADA
Though I'd personally say the album was closer to pop art than anything dada
>>
>>63912002
Dadaism is an absolute crock of shit.
>>
>>63910726
Yo what's the name of this album?
>>
>>63912023
Why do you say that anon?
>>
>>63912002
More to the point, the closest this release got to being "Dada" is including the few syllables in the titles to one of their tracks.

But who knows. Regardless, if they were striving to create rudderless, entirely pointless bullshit then they succeeded.
>>
>>63912023
Look, I ain't saying nothing about Dadaism. I for one think it was a shitty art movement. But, it's what the album is about.
>>
>>63912049
Animal Collective - Painting With
I'd recommend them man, this maybe isn't their best but their discography is great overall
>>
File: 1459660036324-mu.jpg (88 KB, 1000x600) Image search: [Google]
1459660036324-mu.jpg
88 KB, 1000x600
Psychedelics go hand in hand with AnCo
>>
>>63912076
Thanks anon I'll check it out.
>>
>>63912103
Get ready to hear the modular-synth-pop
-with-weird-vocal-effects equivalent of Rugrats (in a good way)
Seriously though, if you don't like it, make out to check out their album Merriwhether Post Pavilion, you'll probably recognize the cover and it's very good
>>
>>63912147
*make sure, not make out dammit
Also if you like rock try Feels, and if you want more pop try Strawberry Jam and Panda Bear - Person Pitch (a solo album by a member of the band)
>>
>>63912066
How is it Dadaist? You really have to take the context and sociopolitical attitudes of that era into account - that was pretty mush of the crux of the movement - and that climate is totally different from the one today. It's not enough just to make a series of sound collages - that alone is not what makes Dadaism.
>>
>>63912213
Dude, Dadaism isn't my forte. What spurred my angry replies was the fact that some anon commented that someone who did seem informed sounded pretentious for offering his observations/conclusions on the album.

I'm just spouting what I've heard other people say regarding the album's subjects. Analysis of this nature just ain't my thing- but I like hearing other people's thoughts because at least I can see a bit more past the most shallow aspects of a song.
>>
>>63912213
You can't really escape Dadaism influence in most music these days.
>>
its theyre 4th best album after sung tongs feels and strawberry jam desu
>>
>>63912372
usually it's more of the movements that dadaism spawned (like surrealism or pop-art) than dadaism itself.
>>
>>63912458
Well yeah I'm pretty sure thats basically how influence works
>>
>>63912344
>Dude, Dadaism isn't my forte. What spurred my angry replies was the fact that some anon commented that someone who did seem informed sounded pretentious for offering his observations/conclusions on the album.
Fuckhead, I was saying the album isn't Dadaist whatsoever.
>>
File: 1391555306021.gif (186 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1391555306021.gif
186 KB, 200x200
>>63910726
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.