[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/BLINDFOLD TEST/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
File: Blindfold-Charlie Parker.png (85 KB, 293x251) Image search: [Google]
Blindfold-Charlie Parker.png
85 KB, 293x251
Welcome to the weekly /mu/ jazz Blindfold Test thread. Every Friday and Saturday.

If you're new, the point of these threads is to have fun and encourage critical listening, discussion, and general enjoyment of jazz. All critical music listeners are welcome. The more participation we have, the more fun and successful these threads will be. In the interest of keeping the thread alive and bumped, any general jazz discussion is welcomed here as well.

For more information about how the threads work and listening suggestions, please refer to the pastebin: http://pastebin.com/ZaFe6HUA

THIS WEEK'S THEME: Wildcard
COMPILED BY: Clueless

NEXT WEEK: ???
COMPILED BY: ???

If you missed last week's thread, DON'T WORRY. It's not too late. Here are the links for the mystery tracklist. Download the tracks, record your thoughts/guesses/evaluations for each one, and then come back and post them in the thread. Remember, people will be posting guesses and thoughts in this thread so don't read the thread until you have listened to the music and collected your thoughts in order to avoid spoilers. Track info for this week's tracks will be posted on Saturday, so if you see the thread is close to dying before then, give it a bump.

http://www9.zippyshare.com/v/XDc04nrx/file.html
https://mega.nz/#!1dkzWKLD!f70jv1pSJaPGhPe76fee8TTM2G5luyqxYK9zXc4Pt3o

Posting with names or tripcodes is encouraged as it makes discussion much easier.
>>
memejazz
>>
I probably won't be able to be around all day to make sure the thread stays alive so if you see it getting close to dying please help me bump it.
>>
1. This sounds like a typical 50’s Sonny Rollins type of tune. Or Dexter Gordon. It’s nothing really all that memorable but the tenor solo is pretty nice and the rhythm section can swing. 3.5 stars.
2. Free jazz. I’d actually like to hear more of this kind of thing on the blindfold tests. It reminds me of Cecil Taylor. I actually have a little bit of trouble following this though. It just seems all over the place. I’d rather hear some melody in there somewhere rather than just straight noise. 3 stars.
3. This is cool. I like the piano solo a lot. It sounds like someone who has listened to some Monk. Maybe Herbie Hancock. I didn’t think the other solos lived up to the piano solo. But still a pretty cool piece. 3.5 stars for the song as a whole, 4.5 stars for the piano solo.
4. This sounds like a very old big band recording. But it doesn’t sound like anything I’ve heard from Ellington or Basie which makes up most of the older big band music that I have heard. The solos are nice, especially the sax solo and the guitar solo. Having a guitar solo seems unusual for a recording this old though. 3.5 stars.
5. I thought I wasn’t really going to like this one at first but it turned out pretty good. The bass playing is very nice here. The vibraphone solo was really great and I had fun following it up and down the instrument. The only vibraphone player I’ve listened to very much is Bobby Hutcherson but this sounded too gentle to be him. The piano solo was great too. 4 stars.
>>
>>63900504
6. This one sounds pretty old too. The piano reminds me of Fats Waller and that kind of old style of playing jazz. Other than that, I didn’t really find anything very interesting or exciting about this one. 2.5 stars.
7. This reminds me of Ornette Coleman a little at the beginning but I know it’s not. I think it’s just the two horns playing a melody together with drums and bass. This sax solo was really great, he played a lot of melodic things but also did some exciting stuff with his tone and playing repeating patterns. Then it sounds like there was a baritone sax solo too. I normally don’t really like baritone sax very much but this was pretty good. I usually like Gerry Mulligan but I don’t think this was him. Anyway, great track. 4.5 stars.
8. There’s a latin flavor here that comes from the bongo playing but it switches back and forth between a strong latin feel and swing feel. I’m going to guess that this has to be either JJ Johnson or Curtis Fuller on trombone. Whoever it is had a great solo. 4 stars.
9. This one is kind of weird too with the vocalizations. And then the overblowing on the flute. I like this one though because it goes back and forth between sounding like a free improvisation and having some structure. It goes on for a long time but they keep switching it up which is nice. 4 stars.
10. This one sounds a lot more like folk to me than jazz, but it also has a nice sort of swing to it. It reminds me of chase music from an old cartoon or something. It sounds like there was some good improv in the middle there so maybe this does get a pass as jazz. It’s cool to have something different anyway. 4 stars.
>>
Posting first listen comments as I go along...

>Track 1
Late 50's, early 60's type feel, but could be a fairly recent recording too. There are some people around who like to play in a style like this.

Smooth, fluid sax playing, even on the faster licks it has a pretty effortless feel. That kind of makes me feel that this might be more recent than the style indicates - more people around with good technical skill.

I'd prefer to have a little bit more of a personal touch to this - it ends up feeling a tad generic for me.

>Track 2
Well, that sure escalated to free jazz quickly.

Very Cecil Taylor-type style here. As far as free jazz goes, I tend to prefer saxophone free - this type of piano playing can be tedious for me to listen to a full album of, but there's some nice variation here that gives it a bit of form. I like the drummer just pounding away at the cymbal at around 1:30 and how the ending comes together.

Just a little bit of recognizable moments goes along way towards avoiding that kind of feeling of being overpowered by an unending formless flurry of random feeling notes.

Pretty good track for free jazz piano like this IMHO.

>Track 3
This feels like it's from the 60's with that exciting intro.

Gets a lot less exciting for me for the solos, though. I had pretty high hopes for the track at the start, but it kind of lost me on the way.

Obligatory Monk-influence mention for those runs in the piano solo like the one at 1:25.

The saxophone player sounds familiar based on the solo, but can't place who plays like this.

The ending was pretty nice for me again. Odd.
>>
>Track 1
This seems like a tune I should know. The changes remind me a little bit of Silver Linings. The tenor player’s got a nice bop sound. What stands out most to me are all the turns that he throws in there. I find myself doing those more than I like to when I try to play bop style. I like the long lines that he does but I’d really like to hear more interesting accompaniment from the rhythm section. So far I’ve only heard one instance where it sounded like the pianist was reacting in an interesting way to the tenor player.

>Track 2
Cecil Taylor? Sounds like a duo with a drummer. Very well recorded though. Could be one of the many pianists influenced by him. There are some interesting bits here but I don’t really like how much he seems to rely on keeping a constant flow of fast notes in the right hand. Although around 1:45 he gets into something pretty cool with his left hand while his right hand keeps up those fast lines. A live recording too. Well this one had some cool moments but I wasn’t really a big fan of the drumming. To me it felt like his playing was getting in the way of the piano and that could have been fixed by just playing less and playing more reactively, especially at the beginning. Maybe the best in this style that I’ve heard is the live record that Cecil Taylor and Max Roach did together.
>>
File: uBHacwY[1].webm (590 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
uBHacwY[1].webm
590 KB, 400x300
>get told that 'point of deparure' by andrew hill is better than 'black fire'

>'black fire' is clearly better by some margin

See why nobody respects you /jazz/...see why even /kpop/ makes fun of you behind your back. Do you see? DO YOU SEE??????
>>
>>63902306
>Track 3
This is a nice tune. I feel like I’ve heard it before. The tune is definitely a memorable one. There’s something very Monk-ish about it but I’d bet it’s not Monk. The recording quality is very nice and sounds like maybe something from the 70’s or 80’s but based on the playing I think it’s got to be something from the late 50’s or early 60’s. The piano solo was great, I’m not sure who it was- maybe Cedar Walton or even Paul Bley. The tenor solo was good- I’m guessing it’s somebody like Charlie Rouse or Eddie Davis. The trumpet player has a nice tone but didn’t really play anything interesting. This is a cool tune, I’d like to hear some great soloists play on it.

>Track 4
Something really early now. That’s got to be Coleman Hawkins on tenor I think. Could be Lester but sounds like Hawk to me. A very nice solo. I’m not sure whose band this is with though. Oh a guitar solo- so this has got to be Django I think. Pretty cool track.

>Track 5
This sounds live and sounds later than the 70’s. Of course with this instrumentation the MJQ comes to mind but this doesn’t sound like them. It’s a nice ballad though. I like the fairly active role of the bass. So the vibes player switches to marimba part way through which is kind of interesting. I think Steve Nelson is the only player I’ve heard doing that. Pretty technical vibes solo. I also like the implied double time they keep hinting at. Now during the piano solo I like what the bass player is doing, he’s staying out of the way but still drawing the listeners attention with some repeated riffs that fills up some of the space that the pianist leaves. The bass player really likes doing those little slides up to his note though. Not a huge fan of that. I don’t really have a good guess for this one but nice tune.
>>
>>63902333
>Track 6
Here’s another pretty old one it sounds like. It’s a boogie woogie style blues and it feels really stiff to me. I don’t know whether these guys don’t know how to swing or are intentionally not doing it but it doesn’t really sound very good.

>Track 7
There’s a lot of reverb on the horns which sounds kind of weird. Could this be something led by a drummer? He’s stretching out quite a bit over the melody. Ah here’s something else like we had a few weeks ago where we’ve got congas playing a tumbao pattern over a swing feel. Does it work? I don’t know. It was a strange shift from the melody going into the solo with the bongo coming in. It feels like two different songs. I should know who this tenor player is. He reminds me of Wayne Shorter at times but definitely not at others. There’s quite a bit of Coltrane in his sound too. Joe Farrell maybe?Oh and we’ve got bari sax too. A pretty nice bari solo. I like the way he develops his melodies. The only people who come to mind are Ronnie Cuber or Pepper Adams. The drummer occasionally does some cool stuff behind the solos too. Overall a pretty good track.

>Track 8
More congas now. Oh this is Old Devil Moon, with JJ Johnson on trombone. Well the congas work nicely over the A section with the bass doing that repeated riff, but then when it goes into swing it feels awkward. The conga breaks are cool though. JJ is a genius soloist though. He can play the fast runs but here he mostly holds back from that. I’m not sure what record this is from so I wanted to try to identify the piano player but I didn’t really get to hear him enough. Despite the congas feeling weird over the swing this track is nice.
>>
>>63902368
>Track 9
The shouts of rage at the beginning of this one made me laugh a little bit. Once the flute/bass/drums bit came in I liked the space that they were playing with but they built it up into chaos pretty fast. Too fast I think. When they go into the bass ostinato it gets pretty cool though. Well after that the piece kind of meanders for a while. Some of the individual sections are cool but I don’t think they really last long enough or go far enough with them and the meandering goes on for too long. I would guess this is Yusef Lateef.

>Track 10
Well the first time through I just sat and listened to this with a dumb look on my face. But then I listened to it again and realized it’s Mingus’ “Better Get It in Your Soul” but done in a modal folk style. It sounds like a weird open tuning on the guitar. This is a really cool idea and it’s surprising how well it works.
>>
>Track 4

Old timey stuff. With that guitar this has a bit of a gypsy jazz feel. Is this from the 30's even?

Makes me think of Django Reinhardt and Sidney Bechet. I'm not surprised at all if it's Django on guitar.

Pleasant music.

>Track 5

The opening is a bit formless - I was straining to hear what's going on, but when the vibes solo starts it gets a lot better.

I kind of like how this feels a bit vulnerable - it's very human that way.

Wait, is that a vibraphone at all or are there two different instruments here? Suddenly it starts to sound like a marimba at about 2:30.

The sound of the bass player reminds me of Eberhard Weber in places. I first thought this was early 60's but the longer it goes, I'm starting to think it's a later recording especially with the bass playing - maybe 70's? Could be Gary Burton.

I could certainly see this being an ECM release from the 70's - that's what this style mostly brings to mind. Pretty good overall, I liked it.

>Track 6

Well, this sure sounds like Lady Madonna at the start with that boogie woogie piano. Fats Domino was McCartney's inspiration for that, but did he do instrumental music much? I have no idea.

Well, this was what it was and little more than that. Not something I would usually listen to.
>>
>>63902330
well how would you justify your statement that Black Fire "is clearly better by some margin"?

They're probably my two favorite Andrew Hill records but I think Hill's compositions are made a lot more interesting on PoD by writing for three horns. Henderson and Hill sound just as good together on PoD as they do on Black Fire but PoD also includes Dolphy who sounds unbelievable on that record. Roy Haynes adds an interesting dimension to BF but he grounds it a little more in traditional swing feel whereas Tony Williams really embraces the abstract nature of Hill's compositions on PoD.

But what do you feel makes BF better?
>>
>>63902535
>But what do you feel makes BF better?

the piano
>>
>>63902532
>Well, this sure sounds like Lady Madonna
I also thought of Lady Madonna right at the beginning of this. I wonder if they're in the same key.
>>
>>63902556
Well I disagree with that too. Hill does some great stuff on BF with basing his solos around themes from the melody but you can hear some times when he trips himself up and when there is some confusion between him and the rhythm section. On PoD he takes the same approach but I think it's a little more refined. He still throws some curveballs at the rhythm section but Tony Williams follows what he's doing a lot better with a more fluid sense of time.
>>
>>63902671
OH GOD!!

stop throwing all those words at me
>>
>Track 7

I like how the sax solo occasionally dips into a little weirdness. Keeps listeners on their toes.

The drums and percussion are surprisingly prominent during the solo.

The baritone sax solo is pretty nice as well.

In this track it's really the sax solos that do it for me and lift this from what might have been very dull to something pretty interesting.

>Track 8

Some latin feel here. Heh, fun conga break.

This track is a lot of fun. Makes me smile.

Pretty good latin jazz track - was a good time through and through.
>>
>Track 9
Well this sure has a start to it. Is it Rahsaan Roland Kirk with all the shouting and flute? Doesn't exactly feel like Rahsaan, though.

A little more abstract than Rahsaan typically, though, and he didn't to a lot of really long tracks. The shouting voice doesn't actually sound like him either now that I had another chance to hear it...

This is something more in the direction of The Art Ensemble of Chicago, not that it exactly sounds like them either.

I'm enjoying all the weirdness - this track continues to be surprisingly interesting even though it's so long. I'm guessing this is something pretty recent - there's some of that tribal Pan-African 70's underground jazz spirit, but the flute playing is technically much fluider than music like this from the 70's usually.

I'll gladly listen to these people freak out some more after the reveal. This kind of music is interesting to me.

>Track 10
Folk-Mingus? Heh, this is fun. (Hey, Black Saint and the Sinner Lady had Impulse!'s tagline changed to be "The New Wave of Folk is on Impulse!", so why not)

I don't really know many fingerstyle folk guitarists, so I have absolutely no idea who this could be, but it was a pretty cool diversion.
>>
>1
Nothing too special. All instrumets manage to keep it tight at all time.
The only weird moment that really pops out is when the sax makes that overtone sound around 3:20 which was kind of random.

>2
Very weird. It's not really like any free jazz I have heard before(At least that I remember).
I do like the part about half way in a little more that the beginning, since this is where they introduce a sound that seem a little more structured.

>3
Very nice. I don't know why but I really like the drums on this one.
The piano solo wasn't really something for my taste but I still think it was good.

>4
I'm out in totaly unexplored territory here. it sounds very old, I would take a wild guess and say it's something from around the 40's or 50's.

>5
Nice laid back mood. I do think though that the xylophone(??) sounds kind of strange when trying to creat this kind of mood.

>6
This too sounds very old. A little bit of a bluesy feeling, especially the trumpet.

>7
I'm not too fond of this one. In my opinion the sax even becomes obnoxious at certain points.

>8
Very nice and fun track. I especially like the more samba inspired part towards the end.

>9
Is this some sort of free jazz? I have no idea what this was but it sure was strange.

>10
Never heard anything like this. Very interesting combination of styles.

I have to commend who ever made this weeks list for the diversity.
>>
>>63900433

I have a Drumless tracklist all ready apart from removing identifiable information - I'll send it your way today...
>>
>>63902724
>stop arguing about music on a music board
>>
>>63903313
>Rahsaan
Ah I bet it's him
>>
>>63902395
>Better Get it in Your Soul
Holy shit I can't believe I didn't catch this. Good pick clueless.
>>
>>63900504
>3
I knew I had to get the obligatory Monk influences in.
>>63900522
>9
The structure to the improvisations on this one is what makes it one of my favourite free jazz records.
>10
Sounds like you didn't catch what this one was - funny, I thought everyone would instantly.

Nice to see the players are stumping people here (a couple of close guesses but none of yours were on the mark). I was aiming to avoid some of the people we see quite often in these threads.
>>
Gato Barbieri RIP bump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7opLhbYPnI
>>
>>63902306
>1
I don't know if you would know the tune. It's not written by anyone who plays on the album so I guess it's a pop tune of some sort but I can't find anything about it with Google.
>>63902333
>4
Spot on there.
>>63902368
>7
It is indeed a drummer's album, and quite a well known one. Good guesses on the sax players too. I'm not sure what you mean about the shift between melody and solo though, I thought it was really smooth. And that's coming from someone who normally can't stand irrelevant congas.
>8
It's not a particularly obscure Johnson record, though I know he did loads. Perhaps I should have picked a track that showed off the piano some more, as it's someone pretty well known.

Not as well known as someone else on this track though.

>>63902395
>9
This track would definitely make more sense in context, but unfortunately it would be a bit unreasonable to have one album length track in the middle of one of these...
>>
>>63902049
>1
Most definitely sixties this one, but from someone who's technical skill was pretty remarkable for the era. I can definitely get that it sounds a bit generic, he had much more interesting records, though I still like this one.
>>63902532
>>63902576
>6
>Lady Madonna
Funny you should say that, because...
>>63903313
>gladly listen to these people freak out some more after the reveal
Don't think you'll be disappointed.
>>
>>63903403
>3
Glad to hear you like the drums, they're one of my favourite parts of this album.
>4
It's actually older than that
>5
Afraid I disagree there - vibes are one of the first instruments I think of for a dark smoky mood like this.

And cheers - diversity was another one of my aims.
>>
>>63903819
I reckon if I told you it's not Rahsaan or Lateef (but you're kind of on the right lines) you'd probably get it straight away...
>>
>>63905836
>Afraid I disagree there - vibes are one of the >first instruments I think of for a dark smoky >mood like this.
After listening to it again I actually kind of agree with you.
I think what originally put me off was the fact that the vibe is kind of the "lead instrument" which means it sometimes does some strange things.
But again, after a re-listen it's not as bad as I originally thought.
>>
>>63905856
definitely not obvious to me even with that clue :)

is it someone better known for playing sax?
Henry Threadgill or someone like that?
>>
>>63906297
Definitely most well known as a sax player, but also someone who's been recognised as a multi-instrumentalist since pretty much the start of their career.

Maybe his later work is less well known than I thought though.
>>
1. Pre-Bridge Sonny Rollins - must be. '57-'60 I think.
2. Ooo, Cecil - is that you? Or else it's someone else and way later than the 70's/80's.
3. No idea
4. 30s, I think. The guitar solo was my favorite part.
5. Milt Jackson is basically the only guy I know on vibes so...
6. Bluesy! Fun track.
7. No idea
8. Some of that "latin tinge" in there on the hi-hat hits and conga drum. Kinda pop, but solid for what it does.
9. L O L - also, is that Yusuf Lateef on Flute? I love that bassist.
10. I know that tune! Mingus' "Better Get Hit in Yo' Soul" - cool treatment by ace guitarist. Feels pastoral, somehow - outdoorsy.
>>
>>63906360
I'm stumped
>>
I'm listening to them right now but i don't think i will actually participate
>>
>>63907208
you already did

mwahaha
>>
>>63905547
>It is indeed a drummer's album, and quite a well known one. Good guesses on the sax players too
So then probably Elvin right?
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 400x400
>>63903407
Are many of the tracks duos or trios? I don't know of very much drummerless jazz except for this one which is one of my favorites. I included a track from it on my wildcard list a while back but I don't think many people liked it.
>>
>>63907505
not to make it too easy on myself, it's all trios or larger

unsurprisingly this means there are many trios
>>
>>63907208
Why not?
>>
>>63907505
Kenny Wheeler is someone I should listen to a lot more of, so I'll just spin that one right now
>>
>>63905031
>Sounds like you didn't catch what this one was - funny, I thought everyone would instantly.
Listening back to it after finding out what it was I can't believe I didn't.
>>
>>63907505
Hi jtg. I found in the archive that you posted links to a bunch of old downbeat magazines back in december but the links are dead now. Is there any chance you could re upload those?
>>
>>63907803
To me that album is so easy to listen to actively because you can close your eyes and drum along with it. It's fun to me to try to balance playing with off the soloist and playing along with what Holland is doing.
>>
>>63907958
I can't right now but I will sometime in the next week and post the links on /mu/. So check the archive in a week or so. I might post some other stuff from that thread too since I imagine most of the links are probably dead by now.
>>
>>63907847
I guess if you're not expecting to hear something then it can sneak by you.
>>
bump
>>
>>63908127
thanks
>>
File: 1485x1485sr.jpg (169 KB, 1485x1485) Image search: [Google]
1485x1485sr.jpg
169 KB, 1485x1485
bumping with the strongest music I've discovered this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HEhV1dQvCE

prior to hearing this I thought Live at Birdland was the latest Coltrane I could enjoy, but I think this one recording surpasses that entire album now
>>
File: CRILfewWgAEVnP2.jpg (67 KB, 600x607) Image search: [Google]
CRILfewWgAEVnP2.jpg
67 KB, 600x607
bamp
>>
well as usual if the thread dies we'll just start a new one tomorrow
>>
File: 1455779126155.jpg (41 KB, 600x439) Image search: [Google]
1455779126155.jpg
41 KB, 600x439
bumping with essential viewing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZvqvNYJmC4
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.