[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the hell is the difference between shoegaze and dream pop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: 220px-Souvlaki_(album)_cover.jpg (11 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
220px-Souvlaki_(album)_cover.jpg
11 KB, 220x220
What the hell is the difference between shoegaze and dream pop? Which is this?
>>
It's a spectrum like autism.
I don't know because it's not Loveless.
>>
shoegaze is more specific than dream pop. It's generally more guitar-driven and has a larger focus on the texture or wall of sound created by the guitar(s).

Beach House for example, are dream pop but not shoegaze. Heavier shoegaze bands such as Astrobrite are certainly not dream pop.

Souvlaki meets somewhere in the middle. It's both.
>>
Dude caring about that is like caring about whats the difference between the honda odyssey and kia sedona (none). Its all music, and that is good music.
>>
There's not really that much of a difference, but dream pop usually has more of a melody and less effects on guitars. The vocals probably are more understandable. Shoegaze is more guitar effects and less lead instruments and quieter vocals.

That's how i differentiate it at least
>>
shoegaze is louder and more distorted
dream pop is calmer, softer, and like a dream
>>
Can you guys recommend some good examples of shoegaze?
>>
>>63895812
woahwoahwoah hold up. i'd say go to /o/ to get an education but those good ol' boys don't know shit.

but i think its a valid question and was affirmatively answered and closed by >>63895803
>>
>>63895785
I think dream pop has a more dreamy poppy influence where shoegaze has a more shoey gazey vibe goin on
>>
>>63895847
i literally laughed
>>
>>63895790
Doesn't loveless meet somewhere in the middle of the spectrum too? Ive always considered it dream pop but also shoegaze
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKiq-P2OJyc&list=PLhYvVM8TMz0UANjUwQNDUkBgbGwVcyGc5&index=155

Is this considered shoegaze? what is this?
>>
>>63895835
listen to Starflyer 59's Gold album. There are some heavy gaze parts. Their first three albums are like that but the rest is much softer.
>>
>>63895859
loveless is more guitar wall of sound while MBV's earlier stuff and EPs where imo much dreampoppppper ie: Drive it All Over Me
>>
>>63895859
Kinda.

I'd say Blown a Wish, To Here Knows When, Sometimes are dream pop. Only Shallow, Soon, Come In Alone, I Only Said are more shoegazey.
>>
>>63895870
Outside of that album, the rest of their stuff is dream pop. The production on the guitars makes it sound a lot closer to shoegaze.

People call it "tropical shoegaze". I labeled it as "daydream pop".
>>
>>63895870

No, I would consider this dream pop with a psychedelic influence.
>>
Nothing initially. Read on Wikipedia. They were just interchangeable terms that had risen independently to describe that new type of music.
Over time it has become to mean what the others are saying here, but I think that's largely due to ignorance and because people expect 'dream pop' to sound ethereal in some way or another, because that what the term intuitively feels like.
>>
Shoegaze is a secondary descriptor, on the level of experimental or electronic.

An album can't just be Shoegaze, it always has to be something else.
>>
>>63897744
This is the correct answer.

Two different terms for the same thing. When the terms were developed, there were only a few bands doing that sound, so there wasn't any real spectrum the way you have today.
>>
>>63895785
Imagine dream pop (soft, ethereal, dreamy, melodic) and noise rock (loud, abrasive, atonal) being opposite sides of a musical spectrum and shoegaze being the middle ground for the two.
>>
>>63897744
I really don't know a lot about the history of this type of music, so feel free to correct if I'm (most likely) wrong. But, didn't the dream pop term originate before shoegaze to describe bands like Cocteau Twins? I thought it was rooted in a more ethereal sound but has since expanded.
>>
>>63897849
yep, that seems to be true, so my comment was slightly incorrect. It seems to be the case that the term was then adopted to describe shoegazing bands but then obv the shoegaze term was developed because they always seemed to stare at their shoes.

"Dream pop is a subgenre of alternative rock that developed in the 1980s. The style is typified by a preoccupation with atmosphere and texture as much as melody, often resulting in an ethereal or dream-like sound. The term was coined in the late 1980s by Alex Ayuli to describe the music of his band A.R. Kane[1] and later adopted by music critic Simon Reynolds to describe the nascent shoegazing scene in the UK. In the 1990s, dream pop and shoegazing were regionally dependent and interchangeable terms."

"Shoegazing (also known as shoegaze) is a subgenre of alternative rock that emerged from the United Kingdom in the late 1980s and reached peak popularity in the early 1990s. The style is typified by significant use of guitar distortion, feedback, obscured vocals and the blurring of component musical parts into indistinguishable "walls of sound".[2] The term "shoegazing" was initially devised by the British music press as a gibe meant to ridicule the stage presence of a wave of groups who stood still during live performances in a detached, introspective, non-confrontational state, often with their heads down;[2][3] the heavy use of effects pedals also contributed to the image of performers looking down at their feet during concerts. The term was often used contemporaneously with "dream pop.""
>>
>>63895823
/thread
>>
>>63897984
I believe this was only true in a "all shoegaze is dream pop, but not all dream pop is shoegaze" sense.
>>
>>63895847
agreed. they're both just chill tbqh
>>
>>63898128
Yes, that seems to be the case.
Cool thread, have learned some stuff. Though I did write my comments based on two Google searches, so maybe some more /mu/tants should try this.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.