[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stop this.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7
File: 1460068567108.png (9 KB, 631x544) Image search: [Google]
1460068567108.png
9 KB, 631x544
Stop this.
>>
File: 71AuvTik0VL._SL1500_.jpg (185 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
71AuvTik0VL._SL1500_.jpg
185 KB, 1500x1500
TO THE TOWN OF AGUA FRIA RODE A STRANGER ONE FINE DAY
>>
>>63894673
HARDLY SPOKE TO FOLKS AROUND HIM DIDN'T HAVE TOO MUCH TO SAY
>>
If you know the difference between Mid-Western-Emotional-Post-hardcore-punk-rock and melodic-death-metal but not chamber music and a concerto, Dixieland and bebop, tape music and tekno and Gamelan and Calypso, you should get the fuck off the music board
>>
>>63896280
nice
>>
>stop speaking about music you know more about in a more specific way

>the level at which you are allowed to discuss music should be defined by the parts of it you know the least about
>>
>>63896291
PLEB AND PROUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
File: Autism-Speaks-Logo.jpg (811 KB, 1286x1254) Image search: [Google]
Autism-Speaks-Logo.jpg
811 KB, 1286x1254
>>63894640
>>63896275
>>63896322
>>
File: Axiomatic Triangle 2.png (130 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Axiomatic Triangle 2.png
130 KB, 1600x1200
>>63894640
lolno

Jazz and what you think of as electronic are both popular music.

"Electronic" isn't a genre, it just implies the music is made by electronic instruments or computers or tapes.
Early Stockhausen and Babbit on electronic instruments is actually art music. same with Xenakis on UPIC.
>>
>>63897369
Then where does Musique Concrète fits?
>>
>>63894693

snack-times patrolling the mo-hungry makes you wish for a nougat-lear winter
>>
>>63897369
>Jazz and what you think of as electronic are both popular music.

Where was OP implying different?
>>
If you use any more rock genre labels than

rock
metal
punk

you are an autistic reddltor
>>
>>63897390
Musique concrete is usually made by composers, so falls under art music. Guys like Schaeffer, Henry and stockhausen were all hard core music geeks usually with formal training in physics and theory.

Musique concrete made by untrained people probably doesn't qualify as art music though
>>
>>63897404
B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG CROSBY
>>
>classical
Is there any serious system for dividing it into "genres", or is it just the usual by era, form or even just composer?

>jazz
I think a lot of people on /mu/ actually split it into at least a few categories, like swing, bebop, post-bop, avant-garde jazz and something like that. Not sure what else you can ask for, when only a portion of /mu/ cares about jazz.

>electronic
/bleep/ threads seem to divide it into their respective genres, like house and techno.

>world
No one here gives a shit about regional or traditional music, so it's no wonder they're not invested in defining it more precisely. Considering there are generally so few record to find, it's not much use to employ terms like "Ṭār" for example, over just "comorian traditional music" or similar.

Nothing wrong with any of the above. People here listen to rock and pop, get used to it.
>>
>>63894640
stop posting about classical? are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>63897721
when i use the term "classical" i'm simply referring to the traditional european way of writing music
>>
>>63894640
>electronic music
>a genre
>>
>>63897369

jazz should be in art music or have its separate category, it shouldn't be lumped in with popular music.
>>
>>63897780
congrats! you understood the point.
>>
What about baroque, rococo, romantic? What about modal jazz, cool jazz, bebop? The 380+ different electronic genres? The fact that "world" isn't really even a genre?
>>
>>63897780
>>63897859
There's literally nothing wrong with calling electronic a genre.
>>
>>63897865
This is the point you numpty.

The board has threads specifically for rock microgenres and throws a hissy fit if you call a 2nd wave post-rock band first wave but electronic, jazz, trad and classical are all lumped into singular threads when they're all more diverse than rock
>>
>>63897884
>>63897887
>>
>>63897887
Rock music is the most diverse genre.
>>
>>63897887

that's more to do with the fact that (most) electronic and classical fans are obnoxious and need to be quarantined like KPOP rather than the actual music.

>>63897906
>>63897906

LOL
>>
File: babies.jpg (91 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
babies.jpg
91 KB, 600x450
>>63896280
>>
>>63897887
Because people here listen to rock music predominantly, and there's literally nothing wrong with that.

>>63897896
>>(see above)
>>
>>63897906
topkek
>>
>>63897926
>accepting plebiness as okay
>>
>>63897369
jazz shoud be overlapp
>>
>>63897974
You're on /mu/.
>>
File: embarrassing.png (71 KB, 159x183) Image search: [Google]
embarrassing.png
71 KB, 159x183
>>63897906
>>
>>63897988
what happened to having standards?
>>
>>63898014
Again, you're on /mu/.
>>
>>63897390
your mother's cunt
>>
It's not an issue. I don't see why /mu/ is practically the only community that thinks this way.

You wouldn't go on to /v/ and complain that the MOBA kids have never played obscure grand strategy or some shit.

People have different tastes. The board's name is "/mu/ - music", indicating that literally any discussion of music is warranted here.

I also know many people who listen exclusively to "electronic music" and know of many different styles and sub-styles in depth, but probably couldn't tell the difference between post-punk and shoegaze.
>>
>>63897369
how about overlap between art and a traditional?
>>
File: tumblr_mimy34u4bI1s43izro1_500.gif (499 KB, 440x338) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mimy34u4bI1s43izro1_500.gif
499 KB, 440x338
>>63898378
>trying to make a rational point on 4chan
nigga, what are you doing?
>>
>>63898378
Whats ''obscurity'' got to do with this thread?
>>
>>63898378
it's because musical snobbery is rampant even in normie culture.it's only natural.
>>
>>63898686
Where is the snobbery in breaking classical, jazz, electronic and world into different genre labels like people on /mu/ excessively do with rock?
>>
>>63898734
it shows that you know your shit.i'm not really a jazz guy, but jazz's really fucking diverse.modal, free, bebop, cool, fusion,smooth(kek). and those are all legitimate genres that was not conceived by /mu/.
>>
>>63898780
Thats not snobbery though, its called being a music fan, its only natural anyone who is into music would know the differences between all the umbrellas listed in the OP as well as rock, if you don't it would be really embarrassing to say you even like music.
>>
>>63898807
i agree. but where's the snobbery in rock?
>>
>>63898831
I dunno, you brought snobbery up, not me.
>>
>>63897369
is death grips the overlap on the lower left or just popular music?
>>
>>63897369

what makes written music better than non-written music?
>>
>>63898875
DG crossover with kids music and pop.
>>
>>63896275
>if you know contemporary genres and not archaic ones, get off this board
>>
>>63899924
Yes, this is the general music board, not the Billboard Top 10 chat board for middle schoolers.
>>
>>63899970
>criticises people people for not liking all genres of music whilst simultaneously criticising people for liking a specific genre of music

I didn't realise they let people this autistic use the internet unsupervised
>>
>this thread is still up

END THIS
>>
>>63900948
Didn't criticize anyone for liking a specific genre of music at all.
Didn't say everyone should like everything either.

Learn to read.
>>
>>63900968
no samuel, it´s not the original, the thread had a baby. it´s more fierce, more full of cancer. the next generation of shitposting.
>>
>>63900968
>I'm a closed minded ignorant tripshit who only listens to one genre

END YOURSELF
>>
>>63900985
>if you know about rock but not classical get off this board
>only middle schoolers like contemporary genres
>>
>>63901048
Again, as I said, learn to read.
>>
>>63899970
Surely it being the general music board rather than a specific one means that you should fully expect everyone to have knowledge of different types of music
>>
>>63896275
>>63899970

go back to r3ddit
>>
>>63901173
Yes, thats what I said.
>>
>>63901210
You're the one who should be there.
>>
>>63901230
But you were criticising people who knew loads about rock but nothing about other genres?
>>
>>63901317
Yes, a music fan should have as you say '' knowledge of different types of music''
>>
>>63901353
Sorry my bad I meant you should expect people to have knowledge of different types of music from each other, so some people will know a lot about rock and nothing about jazz, and some will be the other way round
>>
>>63901376
I'd expect people to know more about the genres they really like but at least have basic knowledge between different styles of classical, jazz, electronic and world, even if they don't listen to it often.
>>
>>63898884

bumping for a reply to this
>>
>>63897668
>using genres at all
>>
>>63902237
So easy when you listen to whatever p4k tells you.
>>
>>63902255
>using the internet
They didn't have internet when art music was big so if you use internet you're a pleb that probably only listen to top 40 pop music.
>>
>>63902316
So its true, lmao
>>
>>63898884
Nothing. It's just different intentions with more nuanced and complicated ideas, usually.

Popular music is usually meant more as a simple form of entertainment and connection with the audience and Art music is just a bit more complicated and less accessible.

It makes sense to say that Art music can allow for a deeper connection and intellectual process than Popular music, but that shouldn't discount the value of Popular music as an art form. Not every song you listen to has to pose an existential quandary; sometimes you just need to hear a song about how loving people is alright with a nice melody.
>>
I really really hate the term world music.
>>
>>63902367

>Art music is just a bit more complicated and less accessible.

but if I'm correct, most classical music is considered art music, and a lot of classical--not ALL of it for sure but a lot of it--is extremely accessible AND popular--literally EVERYONE knows at least some pieces by Bach, Mozart, and/or Beethoven.

complex/complicated =/= inaccessible. that's pretty pretentious to assume. normal people can be stupid but they're not all THAT stupid.
>>
>>63902629
Is wikipedia that hard to use?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_music
>>
>>63902678

>Some other authors interested in music theory may define art music differently. Musician Catherine Schmidt-Jones for example defines art music as "a music which requires significantly more work by the listener to fully appreciate than is typical of popular music." In her view, "[t]his can include the more challenging types of jazz and rock music, as well as Classical."[20]

>Some forms of jazz, excluding most forms generally considered popular music. Jazz is generally considered popular music. (Adorno for example refers to jazz as some kind of popular music.[21]) But some more technical forms of jazz have blurred borders between art music and popular music.

so basically even wikipedia doesn't have a concrete definition. "art music" is basically a vague idea perpetuated by a few people, with no definitive applicability. cool.
>>
>>63902769
>Adorno quoted unironically
nice job, pinkopedia
>>
>>63894640
>World music

lol
>There's half a century of formulaic pop music for English speaking white men, and then... I dunno, all this other shit... I guess.
>What other shit anon?
>dunno, it's like, music from the rest of the world if something.
>there's a rest of the world?
>I guess; that's what they say anyway.
>how do we sell it to the kids anon?
>um I don't know, just call all that stuff uhhh... hmmm... "world music", and maybe the hippies will buy it.

"
>>
>>63903297
>>63903419
speak of the devil
>>
>>63898513
>jazz
>>
>>63894640
Genre dorks are the fucking worst.

>I have to categorize everything based on fuck all and then label the categories, because I'm a insecure teenager looking for order in chaos so I can understand where I am in what appears to be a new social order of adulthood, even though there is no fucking order and no reason to give a shit, which is why no one does once they've fuckin matured.

Quit trying to figure out what category shit fits in, when it wasn't made for the purpose of conforming to a category. You're trying to reverse engineer a puzzle that isn't a puzzle.
>>
>>63894640
If I heard a rock band create anything I hadn't already heard done originally, if better, or more interestingly 40 fucking years ago, I'd give a shit about pop & rock bands, but every time I look, all it is is continually new batches of kids playing dress-up with their dads generations cliches. Eventually, that shit just becomes uninteresting.

Meanwhile, there are hundreds of years worth of "classical" pieces to listen to that do completely unexpected and interesting things at every turn. ...far more than a human lifetime has to hear it all. The idea of wasting listening time sitting around with the rehashes of the same old pop music tropes over and over again seems like pretty fucking retarded behavior.

If they're new to you, enjoy them, but man, in a few decades, when they're not, boy are you gonna be tired of them.
>>
>>63903724
>based on fuck all
Genres are actually based on conventions in music. No, not everything in a genre sounds the same, but genres are a good way to narrow shit down without having to sit there explaining various things that happen in the music, either in musical terms or not.

Generally people don't try and make music to fit into a genre but that doesn't mean genres aren't good to use to make speaking about music easier.
>>
>>63897833
Yes it should. It's a style of popular music and was one of the earliest hit records styles of music. Just because you think it's more intelligent than other kinds of popular music doesn't mean it's not a kind of popular music.

And I'm saying that as a Jazz musician.
>>
>>63904549

>And I'm saying that as a Jazz musician.

yeah okay buddy
>>
>>63903724
Genres assist in organising, discovery and finding and expansion of tastes.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.