[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So which is better?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 12
File: PhotoGrid_1459994502002-1-1.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1261) Image search: [Google]
PhotoGrid_1459994502002-1-1.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1261
So which is better?
>>
Sleep Cycle
>>
Sleep Cycle for me.
>>
Person Pitch
>>
Person pitch def
>>
Person Pitch

Take Pills
Comfy in Nautica
Bros
Ponytail
Carrots

All sleep cycle has that interests me for real is Golden Chords.
>>
sleep cycle is being overrated hard as fuck. its pretty good, but on the same tier as slasher flicks/grim reaper/painting with.

Person Pitch is a 10/10 masterpiece of production and melody
>>
>>63893042
painting with is bad though
>>
jesus fuck i can't stand how reactionary and desperate this place is. already trying to crown deakin's album as better than person pitch? keep your pants on guys
>>
Sleep Cycle is good but Person Pitch takes the cake. Sorry Deak.
>>
Person Pitch 10/10
Sleep Cycle 8-9/10 (need more time to decide)
>>
why is person pitch the go-to always. tomboy was better overall and more consistent.
>>
>>63893042
I completely agree. It's retarded how many people are hailing this EP as the best AnCo release to come out in the last 10 years. Holy fucking shit guys you're delusional.
>>
>>63892867 Person Pitch is better melodically but Sleep Cycle is better lyrically. Both great in their own merits.
>>
>>63893102
What? No it wasn't Tomboy was extremely mediocre. Almost every track on Person Pitch was fantastic and a completely refreshing take on sampling.

Tomboy had some great moments, Night at the Jetty, Know you Can Count on Me, Benfica, Alsatian Darn, and Scherezade, but aside from those tracks I can't really even remember anything else from it.
>>
STGSTV: 9/10
Danse Manatee: 7.5/10
Campfire Songs: 9/10
Here Comes the Indian: 8/10
Sung Tongs: 10/10
Feels: 8/10
Strawberry Jam: 7/10
Merriweather Post Pavillion: 10/10
Centepide Hz: 6.5/10
Painting With: 6.5/10

Hollindagain: 9/10
Prospect Hummer: 8/10
People: 7/10
Water Curses: 6.5/10
Fall Be Kind: 9.5/10

Panda Bear
s/t: 6/10
Young Prayer: 9/10
Person Pitch: 10/10
Tomboy: 7/10
PBVSGR: 5/10

Avey Tare
Down There: 6/10
Slasher Flicks: 5/10

Deakin
Sleep Cycle: 8/10
>>
>>63892867
I need to listen to Person Pitch again, 'cause I remember listening to it before a few times and getting nothing out of it.

First listen of Sleep Cycle, though, and I really enjoyed it. Could be the buzz of the moment, of course.

>>63893042
Nah, Sleep Cycle is definitely better than Grim Reaper and Painting With -- good lord is it better than Painting With.
>>
>>63892867
Person Pitch, by a hair
>>
Person Pitch
>>
>>63893141
5/11 ain't bad. Person pitch has moments in every track, but require major skipping. like skipping the entirety of good girl. and bros is just repeated over 10 minutes or something. ponytail and comfy are the best tracks.
>>
i love sleep cycle but person pitch is definitely better
>>
>>63893208
I used to really hate Tomboy, but I went back to it a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised. I feel like the exact opposite has happened to PBVSGR. Was really into it at first but it lost its luster for me
>>
>>63893208
5/11 ain't bad but 5/7 is even better friendo. I've never felt the need to skip a track on Person Pitch but hey, different strokes right?
>>
>>63893250
I agree on tomboy. At release I didn't like it, same with CHz. I burned myself out of PBVSGR but revisited recently and it was great again. So maybe give it some time. DESU though I don't think I'll ever like painting with. is something wrong with me?
>>
Person Pitch is the only solo album that stands up to their work as a band. Down There, Grim Reaper, Tomboy, Slasher Flicks, all really mediocre
>>
>>63893164
This
>>
>>63893159
dude no. no no no no no. I cannot believe how despicable your anco ratings are.
>>
>>63893159
danse/hcti/hollindagain that high
painting with not 0
kill urself my man
>>
>>63893164
I have to disagree. Really will never understand the hatred for Painting With. At all.
>>
>>63893159
>danse, campfire songs both above SJ
>Campfire above Feels
>down there rated that low
i hate u
>>
>>63893517
Hollindagain is definitely way too high but Danse and HCTI are great albums what the fuck are you on about? And Painting with is at LEAST a 7.5/10 fuck anyone who says otherwise. Personally, to me it's an 8/9 out of 10.
>>
>>63893564
I love feels and campfire songs..I just love campfire songs more
>>
>>63893540
I don't hate it. I just thought it was forgettable, meh.
>>
>>63893564
Strawberry Jam is good but holy christ if it isn't becoming overrated as hell. Campfire Songs is criminally underrated to be honest. Also, I don't understand the hatred for Danse either, especially over Hollindagain.

But yeah Down There is definitely an 8/10 and Slasher Flicks is a 7.5/10
>>
>>63893540
the same song: the album
>>
Person Pitch easily.

Sleep Cycle is a strong 8, but there's no way that it can top even Slasher Flicks, PBVSGR, Painting With, or Tomboy. I'm impressed and delighted by what Deakin has given us, but there's only 6 tracks and 4 at most really interest me.

Every other album that I've listed has at least double the number of songs and they're all good in my opinion.
>>
>>63893597
It's got some of their most memorable melodies in my opinion, vocally. Not to mention I can sit through almost the entire album without a hitch. It has good momentum and is pretty damn cohesive. It starts to kind get iffy around Natural Selection but it picks back up pretty damn quick. It drops off again at Summing the Wretch.
>>
>>63893609
>the same song: the album

Holy shit. You're fucking deaf mate. Similar instrumentation =/= the same song.
>>
Person pitch by far. Sleep cycle is amazing though
>>
>>63893609
I can't identify separate melodies and instrumentation: the person

And don't use the hocketing effect as an argument, simply because you want to treat it as a 'gimmick' rather than as an alternative style of singing.
>>
>>63893717
People act like hocketing is all the way through the album when it's really only used on 4 or 5 songs all the way through. I really pity those who can't understand Painting With man because it really is a great album. But they can't see past "MUH HOCKETING AND FART BASSES"
>>
Sleep Cycle. I appreciate Person Pitch, but it's never been a thing I've listened to repeatedly.
>>
>>63893717
Not that guy but the fact that the hocketing on Painting With is primarily on Panda-heavy tracks right after he releases an album that made heavy use of hocketing is still painfully transparent on PW.

It's honestly as bad as the vocal effects Avey used in CHz that bled over into Slasher Flicks.
>>
>>63893774
The only track with hocketing on Grim Reaper is Boys Latin tho???
>>
>>63893774
Avey barely used that effect on Slasher Flicks and it was really only used on Mercury Man on Centipede Hz.

If these are the critiques you guys have as to why Painting With is a bad album, you're shit at critiquing music lol.
>>
>>63893774
>after he releases an album that made heavy use of hocketing
Boys Latin is one track in an era of 17 songs, the rest of which didn't use it. Don't say something this stupid again

The hocketing effect was utilized on Painting With in order to simulate the idea that each song was co-written by both Avey and Panda. Noah probably looked at Boys Latin and said, "hey what if we re-contextualized hocketing into ___"

I think that you're looking at it from the wrong angle
>>
STGSTV: 7/10
Danse Manatee: 6.5/10
Campfire Songs: 6/10
Here Comes the Indian: 7.5/10
Sung Tongs: 8/10
Feels: 10/10
Strawberry Jam: 10/10
Centepide Hz: 10/10
Painting With: 7.5/10

Hollindagain: 6.5/10
Prospect Hummer: 8/10
People: 7.5/10
Water Curses: 6.5/10
Fall Be Kind: 9/10

Panda Bear
Person Pitch: 8/10
Tomboy: 6.5/10

Avey Tare
Down There: 8.5/10
Slasher Flicks: 8/10

Deakin
Sleep Cycle: 8.5/10
>>
>>63893717
>>63893650
Don't get me wrong, I've been my way through the album plenty of times. I'm actually a fan of hocketing and I'm fine with common themes. If I wasn't I wouldn't like Campfire Songs or Fall Be Kind or Young Prayer or what have you. But lord does every song feel the same. Standouts to me are bagels and lying and I guess Recycling. But don't tell me Natural Selection, On Delay, Spilling Guts, and Summing the Wretch are not the same freakin deakin idea with different words.
>>
>>63893844
I think it also helps provoke imagery of cubism, in my opinion. A lot of aspects in these songs are little phrases and bits and pieces of melodies that coalesce to form a bigger picture, like pieces of geometry falling into place on a canvas. I have said this a million times on this board, and I honestly think if people look at it in this way, the album makes a lot more sense. There were definitely concepts behind this album they were trying to put forth. Commentary on society through the styles and ideas of dadaism and I feel sonically trying to visualize aspects of Cubism, similar to the artwork on the album.
>>
>>63893851
>Fall Be Kind, Sleep Cycle, and Down There the highest rated releases
Viper yourself
>>
>>63893822
>Avey barely used that effect on Slasher Flicks and it was really only used on Mercury Man on Centipede Hz.

You are absolutely deaf. The only time Avey's voiced wasn't drenched in it on Slasher Flicks was Little Fang, and it was absolutely all over Centipede Hz.

I don't think Painting With is a bad album, I'm merely pointing out its very visible who is dominating the sound of the album, just as it was very obvious who was responsible for the sound of Centipede Hz.
>>
>>63893874
Uh. They aren't. Natural Selection, Summing the Wretch, Spilling Guts and ESPECIALLY On Delay sound NOTHING alike...
>>
File: dissapointed wooghost.jpg (38 KB, 351x464) Image search: [Google]
dissapointed wooghost.jpg
38 KB, 351x464
>>63893564
>SJ better than Campfire Songs
>>
>>63893885
srsly? I gave Feels, SJ, MPP, and CHz all 10/10. Those are the best imo.
>>
File: 1458335479239.png (55 KB, 209x221) Image search: [Google]
1458335479239.png
55 KB, 209x221
>>63893622
>Sleep Cycle can't top Slasher Flicks, PW, or Tomboy
>>
>>63893885
>implying Fall Be Kind isn't a 9/10 EP
I'm not him, but christ that's a horrible opinion
>>
>>63893890
Why the fuck do you care who is "dominating" what album? Your reasons for not liking Painting With are pretty unwarranted and really not logical by any means.

And no, that effect wasn't used all over Centipede Hz, and as I said it was barely used on Slasher Flicks. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I'm pretty certain here.

Also, even still, what does it matter if he was using a similar vocal effect on either album? I guess if you don't like it, fine, but that doesn't necessarily make them "bad". He clearly liked the sound and thought it fit or else he wouldn't have used it.
>>
>>63893844
So Panda took the most popular track from his last album and shoehorned its style into almost half of the next one?

Call it "recontextualilizing" if you want, that's still overusing the style, which combined with the speed of the album overall makes it seem much more apparent.
>>
>>63892867
Person Pitch will always be the more impactful record. Sleep Cycle is great but you can't convince me that it's groundbreaking in the same way that the other is. That said I am curious to see what Deakin gets up to from here on out and he may well come out with something phenomenal in time... we'll see.
>>
>>63893908
i'm sorry, apparently i'm illiterate

>>63893927
it's okay, not fantastic or anything. i think i can is great though.
>>
>>63893925
lol you Deakin memers are ridiculous. Look, he's a good addition to Animal Collective but he has a lot of work to do in terms of song writing and ESPECIALLY singing.

Slasher Flicks, PW and Tomboy all certainly top Sleep Cycle and I'm willing to bet Deakin would agree with that.
>>
>the pleb choice
Person Pitch
>the contriaian choice
Sleep Cycle
>the practician choice
Down There
>>
>>63893966
I'm not a Deak memer, but Sleep cycle is better than PW and Tomboy and at least ties with Slasher Flicks
>>
>>63893966
>all certainly top Sleep Cycle
In what ways

and whats wrong with the songwriting?
>>
>>63893993
>patrician
>not pullhair rubeye
>>
>>63893943
>Your reasons for not liking Painting With are pretty unwarranted and really not logical by any means.

I literally just told you I like the album. Don't be defensive. I suggest you listen to both of those albums again, because the only songs on Centipede Hz that don't use that vocal effect are the ones Avey isn't singing.

The only reason its bad is because its omnipresent, which kills its effect overtime. I think the hocketing in Floridada is fantastic, but after the fourth song using it, it becomes tedious rather than interesting.

Just to make it clear to you - I like Painting With. But there are still some things about it that tire me, just as they did with Centipede Hz.
>>
>>63893993
>practician
>>
Tomboy is the greatest AnCo-related release period, so....
>>
>>63894011
Nah, Pullhair is the patrician choice against Berserker and Dead Drunk.
>>
>>63894034
It's great, but not quite that great.
>>
>>63894000
Well lets see two out of six songs on sleep cycle are field recordings and ambience for transition. Secondly the songs dont go anywhere really by any means they hardly progress. Third his singing is extrmely forced and strained. I reslly dont see how you think it tops those other 3 albums. I guess Sleep Cycle is the EP for people who wanted everything AnCo released in recent years to sound like pre-mpp Type stuff
>>
>>63894016
inb4 ac won't ever return to that former band of friends we loved ever again
>>
>>63893966
Sleep Cycle beats out PW and Slasher Flicks
>>
Both are better than every Avey solo album.
>>
>>63894177
What is Spirit
>>
>>63894177
but down there is the best anco solo release.
>>
I am starting to think Deakin fans are the worst Animal collective fans in the bunch.
>>
>>63894217
The hype will be over soon. On the other hand Panda fans treat him like a godly reincarnation of Brian Wilson.

Meanwhile I'm a fan of Geologist
>>
Am I the only one that thinks Foots is the high point of the album by a wide margin?
>>
>>63894217
Nigga people suck Panda's dick like he's Brian Wilson
>>
>>63894217
I just like the band as a whole. AnCo fans have always been weird about pitting the members and their works against each other though.

I just think it's odd that there now only seems to be 4 fans of PW on /mu/ even though the overwhelming majority of people viewed it favorably when it was first leaked/released.
>>
>>63894262
It and Good House, yes
>>
>>63894217
>he can't handle the memes
>>
>>63894255
man i still don't get the hype around geo. he's been a member of so many great releases but all i ever see him doing is fucking with minidiscs.
>>
>>63894281
That's because it was panned by critics, and I hate to say it, but I think a large part of this fanbase is very impressionable. I like PW, though
>>
>>63894194
This. Also produced by Deak btw
>>
Sleep Cycle is lyrically the best AnCO release
>>
>>63893851
That might honestly be the worst ranking of AnCo albums I've ever seen.
>>
Sleep Cycle is great, but Person Pitch might be the best AnCo related release ever so it's gotta take the cake.
>>
>>63894341
really? i think some of the lyrics are pretty cringey
>>
>>63893851
neo-anco: the ranking
not the worst it could possibly be, but not good
>>
>>63894317
He's the foundation of their sound, just compare Spirit to all the stuff Geo's been involved in. He's quintessential to AnCo.

He'll drop something huge, we just have to wait. It'll be so good. I'm just hoping with all my heart that he does it
>>
>>63894383
But what if Spirit and Sung Tongs are my favorite AnCo releases...
>>
>>63894383
If he could sing he'd be GOAT. At this point I'm hoping he does and album with one of the other members on vocals, likely Avey but honestly any of them with him could be good.
>>
>>63894383
but maybe he doesn't need to do something solo like the rest of them. maybe you're right, and he is the lifeblood of AC
>>
>>63894403
>If he could sing he'd be GOAT
there is nothing about instrumental music that makes it less worthwhile than music with vocals
>>
>>63894403
*an, not and obviously
>>63894399
That doesn't make him any less god-tier. Also while Sung Tongs is their best, STGSTV is highly overrated.
>>
>>63894399
They're two of my top three, but still
>>63894403
He could make an instrumental album. It'd be the Hot Rats of this century.
>>
>>63894421
I agree, but their general songwriting style is based on a perfect combination of vocals and instrumentals. He could pull off a great instrumental album, but it would be very dissimilar to other anco stuff.
>>
>>63894456
That isn't necessarily a bad thing, though
>>
>>63894535
I know, I'd just still prefer to hear something anco-ey desu, then maybe some more off the wall stuff. Maybe a Danse Manatee 2, but done better this time around.
>>
>>63894383
For now Stretching Songs for Springs is the closest we get.

I would love it if Anco brought in that minimal sound they had going for that EP and brought a female vocalist in again. That song was the right amount of spooky and the female vocalist took me there.
>>
>>63893159
my nigga
>>
>>63894588
Prospect Hummer was great with Vashti Bunyan. All AnCo stuff with a female vocalist is really good
>>
>>63894781
yeah i was kind of implying that release too

would be great if they did a couple tracks on a full length with a female vocalist as well as having some classic avey and panda stuff. wouldn't mind some DEAK too desu.
>>
>>63894831
Hearing Deak have a larger part in the harmonies would be great. I even love hearing Geo's nasally voice in them. For a long time I had no idea what his voice sounded like
>>
>>63894904
Geo doesn't sing m8
>>
>>63894921
He does rarely. I'm pretty sure he says like one thing in Floridada. "This bridge that someone's paying for". Even if that isn't him, he does backup vocals sometimes
>>
>>63894984
Nah, he's said outright in interviews that he can't sing. Like, at all. Also that bit in FloriDada is Panda btw
>>
>>63894383
I don't think he will. I think he's been on record as saying that he's not that interested in making solo material

If Geo ever makes a solo album, it'll probably be a really low key, inaccessible noise/ambient album in the vein of Terrestrial Tones
>>
>>63894994
Oh. I remember seeing a video of him doing vocals live, but I think it was just screaming
>>
>>63895029
Probably. I thought he finally did some vocals after seeing a vid of the current tour, but it turned out he was just doing the vocoder on Golden Gals.
>>
>>63895011
>>>>63894881
>>
File: pepe 420.png (67 KB, 230x230) Image search: [Google]
pepe 420.png
67 KB, 230x230
Down there and panda S/T
>>
>>63894325
>Deak produced Avey's divorce depression album
>Deak also produced Panda's acoustic album after his dad died

Deak is the heart of Animal Collective. Avey is the mind, Panda is the soul, and Geologist is the body.
>>
>>63894904
>tfw hearing Deak singing harmony in Hey Light

I feel you

>>63894994
>>63894921
Some of the high-pitched cries in Danse are Geo.
>>
two days ago:
>this album is fantastic!!! deakin really is talented!

now:
>this album is overrated shlock!!! deakin really is irrelevant!

lord bless this place
>>
>>63896009
that's a pretty natural course of progression for opinions

you're also blowing opposing viewpoints a little out of proportion; it's okay, it's a very common thing to succumb to if you're a child
>>
MAIN ALBUMS:
Spirit They're Gone Spirit They've Vanished: B+
Danse Manatee: D+
Campfire Songs: C
Here Comes the Indian: A
Sung Tongs: B-
Feels: A-
Strawberry Jam: A+
Merriweather Post Pavilion: A
Centipede Hz: C-
Painting With: B-

LIVE AND EPS:
Hollinndagain: C-
Prospect Hummer: C+
People: C-
Water Curses: B
Fall Be Kind: A
Keep + Animal Collective: C
Transverse Temporal Gyrus: B
Live At 9:30: B+

OTHER
Down There: C+
Person Pitch: A+
Sleep Cycle: B+

>>63896069
Wow bro you fucking got 'em
>>
Sleep Cycle is better than painting with but fuck me /mu/ has this tendency to just overhype every fucking mucore band release to delusional levels
Person Pitch is a fucking masterpiece but sleep cycle is just good
>>
>>63896009
Thats every fucking /mu/ release thread ever
>>
>>63896087
MAIN ALBUMS:
Spirit They're Gone Spirit They've Vanished: A+
Danse Manatee: C
Campfire Songs: D
Here Comes the Indian: B+
Sung Tongs: A
Feels: B
Strawberry Jam: A-
Merriweather Post Pavilion: B
Centipede Hz: C+
Painting With: B-

LIVE AND EPS:
Hollinndagain: C
Prospect Hummer: A-
People: C-
Water Curses: B+
Fall Be Kind: A-
Keep + Animal Collective: C+
Transverse Temporal Gyrus: C
Live At 9:30: B-

OTHER
Down There: B+
Person Pitch: A-
Sleep Cycle: haven't heard yet
>>
I am not le mu-drone. I am objective and can see that Sleep Cycle is not as great as you are making it to be. You can thank me and my objectivity later. *tips fedora into the night*
>>
>>63896087
>PBVSGR and Tomboy not on there
Those are literally two A+s easy
>>
>>63896109
ALSO

panda bear: A
young prayer: B-
tomboy: D+
PBMTGR: B

Slasher flicks: C+
>>
File: gold face.jpg (297 KB, 1462x1462) Image search: [Google]
gold face.jpg
297 KB, 1462x1462
>>63896121
>tomboy
>A+

worst anco solo album
>>
Where the fuck did this STGSTV is the best meme come from
Seriously its good but this album has been excessively praised for like the last year or two and i really dont get why
>>
>>63896126
>Tomboy: D+
by far the worst opinion that I have ever seen on /mu/, period
>>
>>63896126
Whoops

s/t: C+
Young Prayer: C+
Tomboy: B-
PMMTGR: B
>>
>>63896133
>best anco solo album
well yeah, that's what I was already implying faggot
>>
>>63896135
it's really not very good

the few stand out songs for me are night at the jetty, slow motion, and afterburner

but even then, they are only ok-good, nothing phenominal. Rest of the album is just bland
>>
>deak takes your 26,000 dollars in return for a promised album and book
>claims he donated it all to charity, doesn't deliver anything for 6 years
>music is finally released, it's only an EP
>posts on the animal collective website that he will release it for free once the original backers get time to settle with the physical copies
>sees positive critical acclaim, puts the digital files behind a paywall instead

this has really left a bitter taste in my mouth. i think the deak coming and posting all over the internet (including on /mu/) has warped peoples' perceptions.
>>
>>63896212
>posts on the animal collective website that he will release it for free once the original backers get time to settle with the physical copies

source?
>>
>>63896134
blame rym
in the same breath they'll complain about Danse giving them tinnitus too
I bet most of them haven't even listened to Hollinndagain
>>
>>63893159
These are alright ratings. I don't agree with all of them, but they're pretty good.
>>
>>63893159
>they overrate STGSTV and Feels and underrate Tomboy
every time
otherwise pretty perfect, just switch Campfire Songs and Here Comes the Indian and bump Strawberry Jam to an 8.5
>>
>>63896134
the songwritting is god tier. The poor production adds a layer of mystique to an already ethereal album

>>63896390
>STGSTV fans complaining about noises on Danse

I don't think so tim

hollingdagain is their best live album tho
>>
File: 1.jpg (14 KB, 127x141) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
14 KB, 127x141
>>63892867
Person Pitch, no brainer

anco camp releases (off the wall, not a critically thought out list)

Person Pitch > PBMTGR (I had a big personal experience with this album okay) > Prospect Hummer > Feels > Fall Be Kind > Sleep Cycle > Sung Tongs > Merriweather > Tomboy > PW > Slasher Flicks > Down There > Panda Bear > Keep EP > CHZ >
>>
>>63896540
I swear 80% of the time STGSTV fans complain about it, I'm not even trying to exaggerate
Also while I think Hollinndagain is fantastic it's not exactly hard for it to be their best live album when they only have two m8
>>
>>63896540
Yeah its a good album but come on man, you're kidding yourself if you call it their absolute best release like i see many people here do
>>
>>63896555
T R I P S O F
T
U
T
H
>>
>>63896553
why the fuck would STGSTV fans complain about Danse? If anything they would like it over people who like post-ST anco the most

they also have 3 live albums BTW

>>63896555
It truly is. I've listened to all the main anco albums at least 20 times (except Campfire songs, only like 10 times)

when you dissect all the noises and see the harmony of the various melodies, it really comes together. ST is my second favorite for reference, followed by SJ
>>
>>63896568
Well, Danse is more abrasive overall than Spirit. Also what the fuck is the third live album I'm forgetting? If you're talking about Crack Box that's more a collection of demos with some live recordings.
>>
>>63896589
while danse is more abrasive overall, untitled and the beginning of alvin row are more abrasive than anything in danse

and yeah I was thinking of crack box
>>
>>63892867
Person Pitch. I like Sleep Cycle but after already 3 days I'm already kinda bored of it tbqh. Person Pitch is always a great listen. But it will only show over time.
>>
Sleep Cycle
>>
>>63893159
extremely accurate
>>
>>63892867
A month from now everyone will be saying Person Pitch
>>
In my honest opinion:

STGSTV: Really Good
Danse Manatee: Alright
Campfire Songs: Good
Here Comes the Indian: Good
Sung Tongs: Good
Feels: Alright
Strawberry Jam: Really Good
MPP: Good
Centipede Hz: Alright to Good
Painting With: "Alright"?

Painting With is possibly the worst studio album. STGSTV is the best autistic guitar album, SJ the best synth shit. MPP is their best album until the second half, tracks almost all sound the same.
I like Danse Manatee's noises, but they come to a point where it's not funny anymore. SGTSTV was screechy but good, on DM they went full liberal arts college student trying to sound unaccessible.
Centipede Hz's use of noise was dumb; it sounded good, but there was no reason for them to be there, they could've achieved the sound they wanted conventionally (just synth) and without samples.
>>
You people are sick.

To even seriously compare the two is ludicrous. Sleep Cycle isn't really all that special, and is basically just 4 songs, only 3 of them being consistently good. Person Pitch will stand the test of time as a landmark release, AnCo related or not, and Sleep Cycle is pretty much whatever. A decent little EP, nothing more.
>>
>>63893208
>skipping good girl
>skipping Bros.
Not a fan of repetition eh
>>
File: 1459322435421.gif (469 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1459322435421.gif
469 KB, 500x281
>there are people in this godamn earth that skip Bros
>>
>>63901473
There are people who do that?
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
>>63901473
>>
it's too early to call, really. at the moment i'm still caught up in the hype of how good sleep cycle is, it takes a while to become familiar with an album and see how it lasts
>>
>>63893106
It's definitely my favorite since Oddsac
>>
File: murriweather.jpg (26 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
murriweather.jpg
26 KB, 250x250
>>63893159
STGSTV: 7/10
Danse Manatee: na
Campfire Songs: 7.5/10
Here Comes the Indian: 8/10
Sung Tongs: 10/10
Feels: 8.5/10
Strawberry Jam: 9/10
Centepide Hz: 6/10
Painting With: 6.5/10
Hollindagain: na
Prospect Hummer: 7.5/10
People: 7.5/10
Water Curses: 8.5/10
Fall Be Kind: 9/10

Panda Bear
s/t: na
Young Prayer: 7.5/10
Person Pitch: 9/10
Tomboy: 6/10
PBVSGR: 4/10

Avey Tare
Down There: 7/10
Slasher Flicks: 6.5/10

Deakin
Sleep Cycle: 8.5/10
>>
>>63893057
Seriously. Person Pitch was amazing because it was something no one has ever done before. Sleep Cycles is like sloppy seconds of a bunch of AC ideas. Maybe Deakin put a more lyrical spin on these set of songs than most other AC released do, but it's unpolished as fuck.
>>
>the first 35 seconds of singing in Footy
>"now i've foooound"
>"bra-a-a-a-a-ave"

holy shit this guy is trying way too hard
how do people prefer this over person pitch
>>
They're both equally as good. I'll never forget the first time I listened to Person Pitch. I was so into it and fell in love with it on the first listen. Sleep Cycle caught me off guard just as much. I wasn't expecting it to be so good, I just expected every song to be a muffled and reverbed "Country Report."
>>
>>63904344
Person Pitch:

>good times, good times
>hey man, like, what's your problem?

Panda is good with melody, and the ideas were there on PP, but he's always struck me as a simpleton. PP isn't perfect, it's very good though. I don't think I'd put Sleepy Cycle above it, but it definitely holds it's own against it.
>>
>>63892867
Hahahha Person Pitch came out in 2007 and sounds more fresh/relevent than Sleep Cycle does RN

It came out in 2007

>>
>>63894186
Uh... Not a solo album?
>>
>>63893042
I couldn't agree with you more. It's just decent.

Person pitch is untouchable
>>
File: panda bear young prayer.jpg (53 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
panda bear young prayer.jpg
53 KB, 500x500
it seems more appropriate to compare it to young prayer, which everyone forgets about or underrates for some reason
>>
>>63903485
These are ratings i can get behind
>>
>>63904403
Panda was building on repitition.
>>
>>63904403
panda isn't dumb, his lyrical style is intentionally simple with that stuff
>>
>>63904632
>the lyrics are bad on purpose

What kind of excuse is this?
>>
>>63904673
they aren't bad, they're simple and repetitive to shift the focus more of his vocal melodies and harmonization
>>
>>63904403
I don't understand what that has to do with I posted. Although I will say his insistence that repetition is always worthwhile if you tell people you're going for trance music. Sometimes it's just lazy and uninspired, which is how we got Grim Reaper, far and away the worst release in the AnCo discography.

>>63904632
I'd believe that if I ever saw an ounce of intelligence in any lyricism of his ever. I suppose he's got some decent stuff on Young Prayer, but aside from that it is literally always trite.
>>
>>63904787
>I don't understand what that has to do with I posted. Although I will say his insistence that repetition is always worthwhile if you tell people you're going for trance music. Sometimes it's just lazy and uninspired, which is how we got Grim Reaper, far and away the worst release in the AnCo discography.

This was directed at this
>>63904625
>>
File: Animal_collective_merriweather.jpg (123 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
Animal_collective_merriweather.jpg
123 KB, 450x450
GOD TIER

STGSTV
HERE COMES THE INDIAN
SUNG TONGS
MPP

AMAZING TIER

HOLLINDAGAIN
PERSON PITCH
FEELS
STRAWBERRY JAM

GOOD TIER

CAMPFIRE SONGS
CENTIPEDE HZ

MEH TIER
OTHER SOLO ALBUMS
PAINTING WITH
>>
>under rating painting with
All of you people loved it before p4k rated it. It's at least a 7.5-8.0
Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.