[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Someone explain this shitty band to me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 11
File: Animal-Collective.jpg (2 MB, 2100x1400) Image search: [Google]
Animal-Collective.jpg
2 MB, 2100x1400
I seriously can't stand it. Everything they make is so gross and tacky and stupid. It's like with every song they had a serious case of writer's block and they decided to just run with it.

Their music is "wacky" and "psychedelic" in the lamest and stupidest way possible. It sounds like they decided they were too cool for anything that would make a song purposeful or interesting so they pulled something out of their ass that didn't pertain to anything and then reached extremely hard to pretend that the song they're making is really special and purposeful. It's so contrived I can visualize veigns popping out of their head.

You can tell that a band has a lack of creativity when the theme of the things they make is just random bullshit and doesn't seem to be getting across anything.

I'm making this thread out of sheer fascination to find out how anyone can stand this insufferable hipster crap. It's by a wide margin some of the worst music I've ever heard.
>>
it is awful, i do agree. im not even gonna get into it why like you have im just going to say, i do not find it good at all either
>>
That's a lot of words to say nothing at all.

AnCo isn't hard to "get". They use common pop structures while keeping unique and interesting with experimentation. Whether that be blending the pop with feedback loop noise, traditional sounding freak folk, or most recently traditional african folk.

I'm not sure of what vendetta you have against them to just brush them off as "hipster crap", but I really don't see how their music is contrived at all. Which albums of their's have you listened to?
>>
>>63889415
Godspeed (You)!
>>
Their music isn't 'wacky' or random bullshit at all. If anything it's unique and you're not used to it.
>>
>>63889429
>They use common pop structures while keeping unique and interesting with experimentation.
I didn't say it wasn't different, I said it was different for the sake of being different.

And I wouldn't consider any of their songs catchy

>Whether that be blending the pop with feedback loop noise, traditional sounding freak folk, or most recently traditional african folk.
But why

For what purpose

What are they trying to convey?

>Which albums of their's have you listened to?
Person Pitch, Panda Bear and the Grim Reaper, Sung Tongs, MWPP, CHZ, PW

Different sounding music, same over-arching problems.
>>
>>63889448
Describe what their music is like without using literal terms like synthesizer.

Spoiler, you can't. It's random bullshit.
>>
>>63889602
>different for the sake of being different.

what a shitty faux-critique
>>
>>63889634
is a lot of random bullshit placed in a relatable way
>>
>>63889709
You clearly disagree so explain what it's trying to get across.
>>
>>63889200
Man what a great thread OP, good work, keep it up.
>>
>>63889602
>wouldn't consider them catchy
I didn't say they were catchy, but really? None of them? The first AnCo song I ever heard was My Girls and I think that's a very catchy song.

>For what purpose? What are they trying to convey?
I have no idea. I can't speak for the them, but it's just an artistic image. Why does any other musician do what they do? Although Painting With was inspired and meant to convey Cubism according to some interview

AnCo albums all differ a lot. Their catalog is very rich, I'm sure there's at least one thing in there that'll change your mind.

>>63889634
Thinking that AnCo is random is ridiculous. There is clear structure to all their songs, it's pop ffs.
>>
>>63889200
>explain
stop trying to approach music as if it's something to solve or "understand"
>>
>he fell for the AnCo meme

Lawd
>>
>>63889755
Give me an example.

>>63889786
Fuck off dork.
>>
>>63889826
>memes XD
believe it or not, there's actual discussion going on in this thread, don't get in the way
>>
>>63889805
>he doesn't understand music
What are you doing here?
>>
>>63889602
>those albums you've listened to
Go listen to more of their other early stuff. I love Sung Tongs and think it's their best album but you couldn't have chosen an early album of theirs that sounds more similar to their later stuff that has the negative properties you described to you.
>>
>>63889828
>example
Not him, but Peacebone and the first two tracks of STGSTV come to mind
>>
Anco is a meme
>>
>>63889634
>early period
noise rock/ambientish experiments with texture and frequency
>mid period
rock/folk/pop juxtaposed with droney soundscapes created with unique use of rock instrumentation
> late period
psych pop music, some of it built upon repetition (mostly panda's stuff)
>>
>>63889952
life is but a meme
>>
>>63889787
>I didn't say they were catchy, but really? None of them?
Just barely / not at all.

If it's catchy it's catchy in a very half-baked way.

>I'm sure there's at least one thing in there that'll change your mind.
I've listened to a pretty diverse palette of their albums and despite being very different there's the same recurring problems. Which is to say a lack of anything redeeming. It just sounds uninteresting and poorly constructed.

>Thinking that AnCo is random is ridiculous. There is clear structure to all their songs, it's pop ffs.
Here's the track list for Painting With:

FloriDada
Hocus Pocous
Vertical
Lying in the Grass
The Burglars
Natural Selection
Bagels in Kiev

etc.

Spoiler: None of these songs or their titles mean anything. Or if it does like "My Girls" it's incredibly loose and boring. Not once have I listened to one of their songs and taken something meaningful away from ti.
>>
>>63889602
I don't see how this is just random or """wacky""" bullshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXfwc0RDHBQ
>>
>>63889976
what if it's just music for its own sake, where's your problem with that exactly?
>>
>>63889976
>meaning
No work of art has to have meaning. AnCo is really about the sound, they've never meant to send a "message" as much as they have a feeling or idea. It's sort of like modern day Popular Impressionism in that sense
>>
>>63889966
Those are mostly technical terms.

Ween is a gross and unsettling amplification of what it means to be juvenile.

Boards of Canada is faint and nostalgic music that tells some kind of abstract story that makes sense the more you listen to it.

What is Animal Collective? It's so tacky and nondescript I don't understand what anyone could possibly take away from it.
>>
>>63890060
I like plenty of music that's just about feelings.

I'm open to what the band is trying to convey flying over my head but I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what that is.

I think the answer is they're just reaching.
>>
>>63889602
>implying anyone can be different without doing it for the sake of being different
>>
>>63890108
looking for a concept in all music you listen to is a very bad idea famlam
that being said their early stuff has a very strong focus of youth and childhood, but you haven't listened to that stuff
>>
>>63889994
I like that a little more. Just a little.

At least it sounds like it's trying to convey something.
>>
>>63889828
>Give me an example.
untitled (from STGSTV) has one track that is just harsh noise and another track with feelsy piano arpeggios.
the juxtaposition is nice.
by themselves those two elements would be nothing memorable.
idk dude i think you just dont like them.
no reason to act all autistic about it.
you have to much free time
>>
>>63889970
And we but memers
>>
>>63890108
Those descriptions are absolute trite and subjective.

AnCo is a post-modern reflection of youth, with a touch of melancholy of the future (especially on feels)

See, how easy was that?

>>63890164
It's not "about" feelings. Feelings is what is being conveyed. It conveys emotion. A lot of music does that. There isn't anything to "get", you just have to feel it as you would Satie or a Monet painting
>>
>>63890164
They're not trying to "convey" anything. They're just writing songs and making sounds that they like and hoping people connect to it on an emotional level. It's seems clear that they haven't made an impression on out, but they do resonate with a lot of people.
>>
Why do people get so mad and defensive when someone likes or does not like a band
Who cares
>>
>>63890295
>discussion = being mad and defensive
go back to shitposting friend
>>
>>63890216
I'm not saying you'll definitely like these either but I really think you should give Feels and Strawberry Jam a listen, since you apparently haven't yet. While you're at it give STGSTV a try as well, these albums all have more of an emotional concept to them and you said you liked that track off feels a bit more anyway.
>>
>>63890295
The op asked a question. This is what we call a discussion
>>
>>63890242
>Those descriptions are absolute trite and subjective.
lol ok

>AnCo is a post-modern reflection of youth, with a touch of melancholy of the future (especially on feels)
Now we're getting somewhere. Not that I support it.

>There isn't anything to "get", you just have to feel it as you would Satie or a Monet painting
Sure. What are they trying to get across?

What is someone supposed to connect with in a song titled "Bagels in Kiev"
>>
>>63890330
The op is clearly baiting judging by his op and responses
>>
>>63890350
I don't think there's much point in trying to connect with anything off Painting With, especially since you're not an anco fan and that album is not well regarded even within the anco fan base.
>>
>>63889766
lol you think they're different for the sake of being different as opposed to making the music they want to make?

Their albums have themes and concepts behind them. I'm not gonna fucking spoon feed you this shit. Go do your own research.

>inb4 you're pulling this out of your ass and thats why you aren't explaining it to me
>>
>>63890369
Yeah, are you guys retarded? He literally called the band shitty insufferable hipster crap right in the OP. This was a thread to rile AnCo fans up and it's working.

Stop replying, christ.
>>
>>63890350
Bagels in Kiev is a reflection on Avey's family history and heritage and uses that to look at what separates people and causes violence
>>
>>63890462
I'd agree, but the fact that he's expounding his opinions so much itt and seems to actually be discussing past what he said is making me question that desu
>>
>>63890407
I didn't ask you to make me connect with, I asked you to describe whatever it's supposed to be.

>>63890409
Another "AnCo" fan with another retarded post.

I didn't say they didn't have different shades of random bullshit, I said none of it had any kind of purpose with what it was trying to accomplish. And I know that because neither me nor anyone else seems to know what the point of their music is.
>>
>>63890350
Why are you cherry picking Bagels in Kiev. Like I said, it's not about the title or lyrical content. It's about emotional expression. Satie's most famous and influential work in called Gymnopedies and he called himself a phonometrician rather than a musician. He wrote critical writings panning his own work. He used fifths when nobody would ever do that. Was he being different for the sake of being different?

Another comparison to Satie is that neither of their music has a message. You connect to it through emotions, I don't know what's so hard to get about that
>>
File: asshat.jpg (42 KB, 312x385) Image search: [Google]
asshat.jpg
42 KB, 312x385
>>63890502
So because YOU don't know what the point of their music is that means there isn't any? How about you pull your head out of your ass?
>>
>>63885333
Did one of the members take your girlfriend or something? What artists of the same genres would you argue are better than AnCo
>>
>>63890531
The thing is though Animal Collective's music does have meaning behind it. Literally almost every album they have recorded has a theme or a place it came from. It's not music made for the sake of sounding weird or "cool" or to be pretentious.

Seriously, you kids either need to listen to the music a little more closely or read some fucking interviews with the band. This whole idea that they make music just to be weird is absolutely retarded.
>>
>>63890350
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST DUDE ITS POP MUSIC CALM DOWN LAD
>>
>>63890462
Basic critical thinking skills is what riles up Animal Collective fans then

>>63890463
And he decides to explore that with a weird psychedelic song with african drum beats in it and puts it on an album that's supposed to be "fun and kooky" to listen to

>>63890543
Nice selfie
>>
>>63890502
>What is someone supposed to connect with in a song titled "Bagels in Kiev"

In what way is that not asking how to connect with something? My point is that Bagels in Kiev is a crap example because lots of people who LIKE anco do not like that song and it'd be better to pull out something like Banshee Beat and try to find something worth connecting in that.
>>
>>63890615
That's your comeback? What are you, ten? Why did I even bother taking this bait. You're either baiting or inable to have a discussion about music because you don't consider anything about music beyond "hurr its dem sounds dat i hear dats nice"
>>
Music is, actually all sound in general, just vibrations with no meaning in the context of the universe so it's absurd to say one thing has meaning and the other doesn't. With that said, I really like these dudes as their shit isn't very generic and to me is just good vibes
>>
>>63890108
>What is Animal Collective

A post-modern reaction by acid gobbling children who's parents were dirty alt-education hippies to modern pop structures
>>
>>63890642
I connect with Bagels in Kiev pretty heavily because it's a song about Avey's grandfather.

>I wasn't there when Moses parted the sea, I wasn't there with you Grandpa back in Kiev

He missed out on some of the most key and crucial moments of his grandfather and he may never get to know the man his grandfather was back in Kiev. My grandfather passed recently and when he did that song took on a whole new meaning. There is an entire decades long gap I never knew about my grandfather because I wasn't around. How can you NOT relate with that?
>>
>>63890575
A theme isn't meaning. The op wants lyrical mening, which is why he's shitting on Bagels in Kiev so much. He thinks a song about bagels is too wacky to have a meaning. I agree with everything else you said, and I do read the interviews, but I don't think critical listening of their albums can reveal their intentions of theme very clearly. I think they're more relevant to the conception and writing of the album
>>
>>63890694
Think of it like this, Moses performed the miracle of parting the sea, which Avey missed out on, and he most likely missed out on a lot of the "miracles" his Grandfather performed by bringing joy to his community in Kiev simply be being a bagel maker.
>>
I like music that I think sounds nice
I think Animal Collective sounds nice
>>
>>63890694
lol that's all well and fine but op clearly does not connect with it and it's generally not a song that is cited as being emotionally striking or 'relatable' or anything like that, which is apparently what he's looking for
>>
>>63890710
What are you even on about? There is meaning in plenty of their song.
>>
I can't stand the vocals, they sound like literally any other p4k band and their music is lazy
>>
>>63890752
That's one song out of an entire discography of music which is subjective. I don't know what to tell him.

"Hey, I guess you don't like Animal Collective. You're so much cooler than the rest of us!"

To sit there and say there is no point or meaning to any of their music is asinine, especially when you say yourself you don't see the point. So because you don't see the point there isn't any?
>>
>>63890710
AnCo lyrics using a lot of imagery and try to avoid being direct but I guarantee you there is a meaning in almost every song. Lyrics are really important to Avey and it shows if you try to analyze his.
>>
File: Ways-Music-Affects-Your-Baby.jpg (686 KB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
Ways-Music-Affects-Your-Baby.jpg
686 KB, 3888x2592
>>63890651
"music sound nice to me ears what does purpose mean lol goo goo ga ga"
>>
>>63890790
People can't get into imagery or concepts apparently. It's just weird music for the sake of being weird man, because you know, like, we wanna be so weird. Totally don't enjoy making any of this music, we just do it to be weird man. Ya know? It's like...super sweet how weird we are...ya know...for the sake of being weird.
>>
>>63890756
>>63890790
Of course there's meaning, Alvin Row, Brother Sport, even FloriDaDa, but I never took it as the main focus. It always seemed more personal to the members. I've always considered AnCo to be impressionist
>>
>>63890800
The thing about music is you assign your own inference of purpose to it because it's SUBJECTIVE.

To sit there and say every band has a specific agenda and message with every single piece of music they release is absolutely retarded.
>>
>>63890781
alright you've lost me, i think there's been a misunderstanding somewhere and now I genuinely can't tell what you're trying to say
>>
>>63890822
Why are you getting so hostile? Because someone listens to music differently than you?
>>
>>63890844
I really don't understand the point you are trying to argue here dude. Of course it's personal. If you can relate to it, that's a plus and that's what usually makes you end up liking a song.

Why would a band set out to directly write a message to its audience? That's not how Animal Collective works. They don't make music to please people. That's never been their style. They make the music that they feel represents them as a group at the point in time they are writing. They don't sit down and say "Okay, how can we get the teen demographic to really get into our music now? What message should we be sending? Oh, I know, let's let teenage girls know they're better than what everyone else says and that they're beautiful no matter what."

I mean, that's essentially the idea behind Golden Girls, to praise the female gender and give them the respect they deserve. But you know, that doesn't count as a message apparently. Giving respect to the women in your life, or your significant other for all of the stuff they have to put up with in society yet they still hold their head up and try to help support you through it all. Totally not a message by any means. It's just weird for the sake of being weird.
>>
>>63890502

They do a bunch of fucking drugs that's it you fucking mongoloid
>>
>>63890924
You consider that hostile? lol. Wow.
>>
>>63890852
We aren't arguing about whether I like it, we're arguing about why other people do. And nobody can seem to explain it.

Spoiler: Animal collective fans are just stupid hipsters
>>
OP you don't have to understand why other people like their music (I feel guilty just falling for this bait, by the way). The way you feel about them must be similar to the way I feel about Swans or Kanye. If already tried to follow the meme and listened, but I'm not a fan so why bother to talk about out? It's like if I didn't like a certain type of food and asked you to explain why it tastes good.
>>
>>63890982
>they like music i dont
>STUPID HIPSTERS
why am i bothering in this thread
>>
>>63890949
Actually Avey and Brian are the only two who really fuck with Psychedelics anymore and according to them it's very rare these days. Like, very rare. Panda barely even smokes weed, only does it when he's mixing music because he feels it gives him a different perception. I'm pretty sure the only one who still trips occassionally is Deakin, which I imagine he did a lot of in Mali.
>>
this OP and his thread is fucking pathetic and further proves that the "taste is objective" meme is breathable death
>>
>>63890935
Do you really think I'm arguing that AnCo is weird just be weird? If so you completely missed the point. You can listen to AnCo if you'd like, that's perfectly acceptable. But it's also valid to listen for the raw conveyance of feeling and emotion. You don't have to listen to music for lyrics, you know
>>
>>63889200
Everything you said should clearly explain why /mu/ worships them. welcome to one of the worst discussion boards in existence.
>>
>>63890982
lol why does it matter to you why other people like it if you think it's so shit?

You got me though, I listen to it just to be edgy and weird for the sake of being weird. So when people ask what I'm listening to I can say "You probably wouldn't have heard of them or like them, they're pretty weird." Because I'm a complete and utter hipster. I only listen to music that I can say that about.
>>
>>63891013
*You can listen to AnCo for the lyrics
my mistake
>>
>>63890982
Other people like their music because it sounds good to them. Happy?
>>
>>63891013
I know you don't, I never said you did you dingus. The OP did. The OP was the one arguing there isn't any point or meaning to their music and that they're weird just to be weird. Not me.
>>
>>63890998
hipster
noun
- a person who follows the latest trends and fashions, especially those regarded as being outside the cultural mainstream.

aka someone that likes things that are different just because they're different.

Animal Collective has zero purpose and reason for existing and everyone else begrudgingly agrees so their fans must just like it because it's different.

Fans are stomping there feet and getting angry ITT because they think I don't "get" things that are weird. I do, I just lose patience when the style isn't good and isn't weird for any purpose.
>>
>>63891096
>zero purpose and reason for existing
>music has to have a purpose
Most pleb thing I heard all day. Art is made for the sake of itself
>>
>>63891096
to think I defended this thread as potentially not being bait
>>
>>63891040
I like it because it gives me spectacular imagery of interesting ideas and concepts a lot of other bands can't achieve, at least for me. Songs like Safer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwc6UyhZLbc

This song has helped me get through so many hard times. It's always been about being in the darkest of places, wondering why you're there, and confronting those fears and stepping straight into the dark to explore what's keeping you down.

>There's other ways to fight torture, don't let it get you down

Don't ever give in, don't give up, fight the torture in any way you can.

>She said I'd kiss you, sometimes I don't wanna kiss you, don't mean I don't like to kiss you, just means these lips are mine.

Though you may be in love with someone, that doesn't necessarily mean you are obligated to please them at their every whim. You're your own person too, and you have your own struggles and feelings as well.

>Don't make your problems my funny problems because I've got problems well I juggle them all in time. Don't make your troubles my funny troubles becasue I've got troubles why you talk about it all the time.

Everyone has their own story and their own hardship to deal with. Everyone is fighting their torture in their own way. You're not alone in the feelings you experience, everyone has been there.

Stuff like this man. This is why I love Animal Collective. I know they're not the only band to speak on stuff like this but they are the band I connect with best. Their subject matter resonates with me and their musical styling is innovative, interesting, and different. Engaging. It invokes tons of imagery, and it really creates an amazing atmosphere a lot of times. Not all bands can do what Animal Collective does.
>>
>>63891096
hipster is a non-word that describes anyone i don't like, actually, but thanks for trying

people have explained to you a lot in this thread what anco is 'about', but you seem to be very set in your opinion without any real arguments to back it up. anco really aren't that weird man
>>
>>63891033
Giving an ironically stupid reply isn't an argument.

>>63891040
Oh gee, thanks for the clarification. We're trying to figure out why.

Here's the answer: "AnCo" fans are just dumb hipster 8th graders that want to look different for the sake of it but can't be bothered to do it in any way than the laziest way possible. They're also dumb as bricks as exemplified by this thread.

>>63891146
Call me "bait" isn't an argument, chump. I can do it too.
>>
>>63891187
Show him some Whitehouse or Sutcliffe Jugend. Or perhaps some Cromagnon.

There are way fucking weirder bands out there OP. And all of them are expressing themselves through art, not for the sake of saying "LOL WE DID SOMETHING ON ONE ELSE DID BECAUSE WE'RE SO FUCKING TRY HARD AND WEIRD"

The world doesn't work that way.
>>
>>63891217
hey anon, what's your favorite band?
>>
>>63891217
>Giving an ironically stupid reply isn't an argument.

Nothing you've presented is an argument. You're sitting there trying to flamebait because you're pathetic and can't formulate any actual musical discussion. Bad day in school bud?
>>
>>63891217
I usually never use this as an argument, but what's your top 5?
>>
>>63891251
Probably Boards of Canada and I can actually explain why

>>63891252
Am I trolling or am I stupid? I can't be both
>>
AnCo music is for the most part poppy and enjoyable on a base level while still exposing listeners to new ('weird', as you put it) musical ideas, unique imagery and abstract lyricism.

The music is actually very emotional and honest, too.
>>
>>63891291
Oh so you're just stupid. Thanks for clarifying.
>>
>>63891291
Are you aware that Boards of Canada fans are dumb hipster 8th graders that want to look different for the sake of it but can't be bothered to do it in any way than the laziest way possible? They're also dumb as bricks btw
>>
>>63891271
Albums?

Geodaddi, Money Store, Wish You Were Here, Public Strain, Burial EP

May not be the best albums I've ever heard but they mean something special to me and I can explain what that is
>>
>>63891339
I mean, those aren't bad, but not really what I expected
>>
File: GirlsLaughing.png (490 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
GirlsLaughing.png
490 KB, 449x401
>>63891339
>he likes death grips
>>
>>63891339
I seriously can't stand Death Grips. Their music is "weird" and "aggressive" in the lamest and stupidest way possible. It sounds like they wanted to be offputting for the sake of being offputting.
>>
>>63891339
>The Money Store
I seriously can't stand it. Everything they make is so gross and tacky and stupid. It's like with every song they had a serious case of writer's block and they decided to just run with it.

Their music is "wacky" and "angry" in the lamest and stupidest way possible. It sounds like they decided they were too cool for anything that would make a song purposeful or interesting so they pulled something out of their ass that didn't pertain to anything and then reached extremely hard to pretend that the song they're making is really special and purposeful. It's so contrived I can visualize veigns popping out of their head.

You can tell that a band has a lack of creativity when the theme of the things they make is just random bullshit and doesn't seem to be getting across anything.

I'm making this post out of sheer fascination to find out how OP or anyone can stand this insufferable hipster crap. It's by a wide margin some of the worst music I've ever heard.
>>
>>63891418
Doing a find and replace of what I said isn't an argument but I'll entertain it anyway.

>Their music is "weird" and "aggressive" in the lamest and stupidest way possible.
It isn't though, it doesn't mince words or go out of its way to be inoffensive under any circumstances.

>It sounds like they wanted to be offputting for the sake of being offputting.
No, it's basically a monument to the fact music can be offputting with a purpose. The lyricism is very meaningful, listening to a song for the 50th time and I still find new things to pick up on.
>>
>>63891499
kek, 80% of the post this guy has made could be used as copypasta
>>
>>63889200
I love animal collective because they're so fucking in your face and just so god damn excellent it's like mmmh yeah. you know. like fucking tearin me a new asshole every single time, you know?
>>
File: face_cat_mirror.jpg (92 KB, 694x642) Image search: [Google]
face_cat_mirror.jpg
92 KB, 694x642
>>63889200
OP have you checked out their earlier work? They used to be more adventurous in their experimentation, yet more cohesive. "Feels" is one of my favorite albums, in fact. But somewhere around their Strawberry Jam album they lost it, in my opinion. Now it just sounds like they're "Beach Boys" with wet bong rip noises in the background.
>>
>>63891535
They've done it before. I'm the same guy that made the "I can't stand Frank Zappa" copypasta.

Spoiler, they didn't have an argument for that one either. Trying to get an argument out of /mu/ that isn't ironic stupidity or vapid diatribe is like trying to shave hair off a stone.
>>
>>63891569
The guy's said earlier itt that he hasn't, but don't bother trying to rec shit because it's pretty obvious he's just doing some hardcore baiting
>>63891598
Get a trip please, you'll become a meme instantly. You can be this board's bugguy or barneyfag
>>
>>63891569
I will honestly never understand this Beach Boys meme. The only thing that sounds even remotely close is the vocal harmonies.
>>
>>63891656
>The only thing that sounds even remotely close is the vocal harmonies.

That's exactly what I meant. Also similar chord progressions.
>>
>>63891622
I don't know or care who those people are but I don't want to become a meme. Or maybe I do because I can watch people who think memes are an argument embarrass themselves.
>>
>>63891598
O'mighty OP please present us with your knowledge and explain everything about your favorite albums that makes them so great since us hipsters cannot formulate such an argument or explanation because we're so dumb and vapid. Please mighty OP save us show us how it's done.
>>
File: 1458419503800.png (237 KB, 588x434) Image search: [Google]
1458419503800.png
237 KB, 588x434
>>63891622
>bugguy
>barneyfag
Oh lord, please no
>>
>>63891598
>he's also the guy who made the Frank Zappa thread
I can't remember exactly what it was about, but I was pissed off then too. Remind me why you're such a shithead
>>
>>63891794
You gotta admit it would be fun. I thought Unty would be our bugguy for a bit but then he went too obviously overboard with his bait. Not sure if I'd want this guy to be the one though, he said he likes Boards of Canada and they don't deserve to become a meme by association.
>>
Anyone have a torrent for Slasher flicks?

The one on PB doesn't have enough seeders.
>>
>>63891842
check rutracker
>>
>>63891842
why not use Soulseek...?
>>
>>63891842
https://mega.nz/#!JEJCjL4T!pkcg1ADxwL2IDM2hDyKxZlnkSRZj8r1asEMOb6Bqy8s

Here you go friend
>>
>>63891828
Basically the same shit actually. I said Frank Zappa's music was weird for the sake of it and had no purpose and a bunch of angry manbabies thought that meant "I didn't understand it" and gave me vapid diatribe instead of an argument.
>>
>>63889200
everything about these clowns is so fucking contrived and forced to be weird and indie it's like some corporate suits found out that this type of shit music sells to kids who think it's deep and complex and put together this bullshit in a nice little package to make more jew sheckles
>>
>>63891914
What Frank Zappa did you listen to? If the answer isn't Hot Rats, go listen to Hot Rats
>>
>>63891893
Thanks pal. I listened to it once and hearing Avey yell reminded me so much of SJ.
>>
Okay OP. I'll entertain you.

You want to know what makes Animal Collective so great to me? Reinvention. Every single album sounds completely different from the last. They started out with Avey Tare's solo album with Panda drumming. It was pop ballads written at the age of 16 and onward. It was an album meant to represent the struggle of transition between childhood into adulthood. He had been working on this album from highschool up until university. The noisy aspects of it to me represented the growing pains of life, while a lot of the subject matter in the album has to do with losing friends, both real and imaginary, dealing with being an outcast and being bullied, and then growing up to the point where you one day realize you'll be able to relive childhood through having a child of your own.

Danse Manatee was similar on concept however it was more focused on the sonic aspects of their music. They wanted to experiment with extreme high and low frequencies. Perhaps there wasn't an actual message to this one more so than they wanted to push their limits and see what they could do by messing with only extreme high and low frequencies. Which is part of what I love about Animal Collective. It isn't always about the feels or the emotion, sometimes it's about pushing sonic boundaries. And no, they're not the only band who does this. Clearly there's an entire noise genre that does shit like this, however, Danse Manatee isn't a run of the mill pop or noise or electronic album. It's an entire soundscape based on the experimentation of bending those frequencies.

Campfire Songs is probably my favorite Animal Collective album of them all though. And here's why. It creates the atmosphere of fall better than any other album I have ever heard. They recorded it live while sitting on a screened in porch in Baltimore, and used fields recordings later on to add into and edit into the mix. The entire theme of the album, from what I've gathered over the years, is life and death...
>>
>>63891943
No problem. I love Avey's screaming. The first time I listened to Spirit, I was about to quit when I heard him yell on April and the Phantom, so I listened to the whole thing. Now it's an all time favorite
>>
>>63891939
First thing I listened to.

The way he composes everything is just terrible. He gets one little musical gimmick that he sounds really proud of himself for and then he stretches that out for 3 minutes longer than he should have until even the songs that are supposed to sound "fun" are ear bleedingly dry.

Back to the thing about things that are "le fun and wacky" but only in the lamest way possible. It's like Frank thought he was too cool for things that actually make you feel emotions so he makes his songs about a bunch of weird stupid bullshit that doesn't pertain to anything. And this is coming from someone that likes music like that.
>>
>>63891951
/mu/ is on a roll tonight with well thought out, and concise posts
>>
Ah, school children arguing that their piece of shit is better than the others (here's some advice, both are shit)

I'll be over here sipping a fine chateu de white wine while listening to Bach, all the while reading and studying to expand my intellectual mind of course.
>>
>>63891951
He's not even going to take that seriously.

OP confirmed for braindead goober.
>>
>>63892067
at least be less obvious about it if you're gonna make posts like this
>>
>>63891951
finally someone else who appreciates Campfire Songs
>>
>>63892067
wow your so cool with your post ironic maturity
>>
>>63891951
Queen in my Pictures seems to be more about loss, perhaps of a loved one, or a very close family member. Someone whom you can only view in a picture these days. Followed by Doggy, a song about the death of Avey's dog, is something everyone can relate to if you've had a pet. You can hear the lament in his voice as he sings about his dog and how still it lay the day he found it dead, yet to contrast these lyrics, they add in a jingling tambourine line which sounds almost exactly like a dog circling in its bed only to lay down. Two Corvettes talks about experiencing a beautiful drive with a loved one, top down, speeding down the highway. I always imagined a windy road on the side of a mountain, and as the song progresses it invokes imagery of two corvettes colliding on a freeway when the guitar chords become more jarring, disjointed, and louder. Moo Rah Rah Rain focuses on the idea of a struggling family of farmers during drought whose crops just won't seem to grow. The opening "Moo Rah Rah Rain" whispers seem to be prayers for rain to come, and even sound as though they're dried out and weakened. De Soto De Sun to me has always seemed like the arrival of the Western world to the Americas, spreading disease and sickness among the native peoples of the land. There's no place to hide, no place to go, the sickness is coming to find you. But the sun will still rise and the world will still go on, and it's one hell of a way to finish off the album. Though we experience death every single day, (the set of the sun), life is also given back every day (the rising of the sun).

It's things like this that most people don't seem to grasp and just take as "man they're just trying to be weird" when in reality their albums are VERY well thought out pieces of art. Not just "hipster" garbage.

Painting With is the same way. It's a commentary on society through exploring the ideas of dadaism and cubism sonically. When I listen to that album . . .
>>
>>63892092
>>63892109

Yep because I'm confident in myself and not afraid to express myself I am being "le ironic XD"

Honestly sick of this meme, now you anonfags may shitpost and not talk honestly but everything I say has meaning behind it.
>>
>>63892112
I can visualize geometric shapes falling into place on canvas, and the hocketing certainly helps push forth this idea. Each song is made up of simplistic little phrases rather than long drawn out lead melodies, and they all stand to support eachother in the over arching piece of art. The vocals are the main focus, while everything else falls into place around them. Lying in The Grass and Vertical especially invoke images of cubism to me very strongly, while a lot of the lyrical concepts focus on Dadaism. Floridada being the obvious one, but vertical even seems to be about how social status is a societal construct they're not exactly familiar with and don't wish to be. Working up a corporate ladder, wanting to build upwards, giving in to material obsession, it's not something they desire. They even discuss this on their critically acclaimed song My Girls

>I don't mean to seem like I care about material things, like a social status

I feel like a lot of people are completely missing the point of Painting With and it's really disappointing but it's fine I guess. Because I see it for what it is (or at least what I believe it to be) and it's a fucking masterpiece in my mind.
>>
>>63891830
BoC are already a meme
>>
>>63892053
And, do tell, what gimmick is that? Seriously if there's someone who isn't gimmicky it's Zappa.

Stop treating artists you don't like as if they were objectively bad
>>
>>63892216
They were for a bit with that "brotempo" bullshit, thankfully that's died down
>>
>>63892102
Campfire Song is a personal 9/10, so are PH and ST. All the acoustic stuff is great.
>>
>>63892247
Yeah, that shit was tiresome.
>>
>>63892254
their acoustic stuff is so underrated
>>
>>63892102
Hell yeah man, Campfire Songs is probably my absolute favorite Animal Collective album. It may be because the first time I heard it, I smoked two fat bowl packs and sat in my back yard on a cool fall night and let it whisk me away to an entirely different place.

A lot of AnCo's albums can do that for me, even without drugs. One other time in particular that was drug influenced was listening to Transverse Temporal Gyrus. During the "I'm So Sorry" part, I almost felt as if I was in utero. I was tripping fucking balls on some good LSD but holy shit it was amazing.

https://youtu.be/b2fsZC4Mqgs?t=4m47s

Not entirely sure why I felt like I was in the womb, but it sounded super watery and warm and comfy, but it also made me think of abortion (I know this is sounding super reddit tier right now) because of the sharp piercing mechanical sounds that come in and the startling "I'M SOOOOOOO SOOOOOORRRRRRRYYYYYYYY".

Totally the vibe I got from that song though. Give me a break, I was trippin'...
>>
File: hmmm.png (94 KB, 267x271) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.png
94 KB, 267x271
>falling for this b8
>>
>>63892292
Campfire Songs specifically is massively underrated and so is Prospect Hummer. I don't ever see either of these discussed really. If I do, it's Campfire Songs being shit on.
>>
>>63892300
shit this is so good. I dont think everything they've done is amazing but I don't understand how someone couldn't AnCo
>>
>>63892345
people here seem to treat Campfire Songs as if it's pointless, but the simplicity and stripped back sound is what makes it so good
>>
>>63892360
Transverse Temporal Gyrus and Oddsac both deserve a lot more attention.

Wastered is criminally underrated in my opinion too. And Crumbling Land.

>wastered side B - Animal Collective
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBE3pLV29Ig

>Crumbling Land
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og9V7HSDFtc&list=PLHph6IW5i66OUUCGaI-7fZK1CyPCS9upQ&index=3
>>
Not really related to this particular thread, but does anyone think Panda might have a case of Thom Yorke syndrome? That is, the current music that he likes and listens to is influencing his own too much, and he's just not nearly as good at emulating those styles? I know dance music has always been influential and a passion of his and in smaller doses it works (like the house/techno influence in PP and MPP), but the synthesizer beat-y stuff has just consumed him imo. His material is better when he pulls inspiration from a wider pool.
>>
>>63892403
I agree, i've always like early AnCo more anyway
>>
>>63892378
I think what makes it great is the ambience it creates as well as the themes it covers. Beautiful album. De Soto De Sun is one of their best closers to be honest. The entire theme of the album seems to be about death and near the end of De Soto De Sun they the song becomes a bit more upbeat and the lyrics "The sky has brakes, what a good way to rise. De Soto de Sun, would probably take all day, this side of the world is taking it's time good bye."

feel like that's such a commentary on the circle of life.

>>63892403
He really just wanted to try using sequencers in recent years. I'm sure he will eventually go back to using his drum set and some analog instrumentation. Although PBVSGR seemed to receive better acclaim than Tomboy. I don't think he'll ever top Person Pitch though desu. His self-titled from '98 is pretty good though!
>>
>>63892403
I blame Sonic Boom tbf.

Or at least I used to. Then I found out he mixed Good House so yeah I agree.
>>
>>63892403
Yeah, honestly it seems like Panda might be the worst synthesizer twiddler of all of them. A lot of his instrumentals on his newer stuff are just background tones for his vocals to ride off of, the one exception being PP but that worked mostly because it was sample based. Admittedly I'm not completely sure of this because I haven't tried his original mix of Tomboy yet, but it still seems like he just needs to let somebody else (likely Geo) take care of that stuff for him.
>>
>>63892494
I honestly enjoyed this version more
https://youtu.be/9ucfCDRHphA
>>
>>63892403
Yea, just comparing PBMSGR to the rest of his albums makes it obvious.

I still rather like it though.
>>
>>63892540
You need to listen to Panda Bear's s/t, plenty of synth stuff on there and it's actually pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmXSqPN3UOw&list=PLZqsyBiYZFQ3TA6RRz0Tg9oL953ECeUXm

Winter in St Morowitz is a fucking fantastic song. There are a lot of gems on this album. Not the most cohesive piece of work. And the opening track reminds me of some straight up Aphex Twin.
>>
>>63892574
I still need to listen to it properly, but from what I remember I thought it was pretty basic. It seemed like there were a few alright tracks though.
>>
>>63892541
wow that's really terrible
>>
>>63892637
Not any worse than the album version to be honest. The album version relies to heavily on the vocals and doesn't really have anything interesting or engaging about it.

Honestly, Good House just never really has been a jam of mine. Golden Chords is fucking fantastic though. I could listen to it on repeat all day. Wish he'd write more like that.
>>
>>63889200
It was pretty disappointing listening to them for the first time, considering just how much AnCo is hyped up by /mu/. I can get behind some of the stuff like Person Pitch, just barely, but the other albums just take a very noticeable turn for the worse.
>>
>>63892803
Even Feels? Sung Tongs? Really?

Hm. Shitty.
>>
File: 1460060291072.jpg (20 KB, 311x303) Image search: [Google]
1460060291072.jpg
20 KB, 311x303
>>63892859
>feels even being in the same league as sung tongs
>>
Not reading the thread full of people probably calling this bait but I'm 100% in agreement with you. The only people impressed with them haven't heard a lot of music I think.
>>
>>63892859
Oops, forgot Sung Tongs, I'll admit it's a pretty good album, but I can't really get behind their other stuff, especially MWPP
>>
>>63892892
Uhhhh why wouldn't it be? What are you some kind of ultra pleb?
>>
>>63892933
Sung Tongs is their best whereas Feels is in the bottom third of their discography friendo
>>
>>63892899
OR maybe you haven't heard enough Animal Collective...?
>>
>>63892966
Or maybe he's heard too much of it?
>>
>>63892965
Feels in the bottom third of their discography?

You're insane my man.
>>
>>63892990
Maybe he's heard just enough :^)
>>63893000
I don't like indie rock and it lacks a lot of their signature sound desu
>>
>>63893015
That's the album that gave them their signature sound. It was the one that introduced the watery aspects to their music and pretty much every album after that featured watery abstract ambience. Everything before it was very high frequency, high timbre, dry sounding.

Lacks a lot of their signature sound? That album WAS their signature sound, what the fuck?
>>
>>63893058
Still don't feel it desu, and if you were to say any album or albums represented their sound the best it would be Hollinndagain for their early animalistic era, Sung Tongs for their middle ear, and MPP for their pop era. That being said, their live shows from the Feels era are pretty good.
>>
>37 posters
>170 replies
jesus christ shut up this is the most pointless thread ive ever seen
>>
>>63893116
No the best represntation of their early era would be HCTI. Sung Tongs for the middle era? No, it would be Feels. Sung Tongs was pretty fucking off the wall even for Animal Collective which is why so many people like it. They have never done anything remotely close to it since.

At least Here Comes the Indian combines elements of Hollindagain and Danse, I feel it's a better representation than Hollindagain itself. I've never really been the biggest fan of Hollindagain though to be honest so maybe I'm just being biased. I've only ever enjoyed Pride and Fight and Forest Gospel.
>>
>>63889200
>being this much of a contrarian
hows middle school?
>>
>>63891027
this is going to sound sarcastic but it's not...do you know of any better music boards? i do not
>>
>>63891307
>poppy and enjoyable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqQ7tU26Q6E
>>
>>63893196
I will never understand people like you.

>FUCK THIS THREAD IS SO GOD DAMNED ANNOYING BUT LET ME SUBJECT MYSELF TO IT ANYWAY ARRRGGHHHHH I HATE THIS THREAD BUT LET ME CONTINUE TO READ AND POST IN IT AGGHHHH
>>
>>63892899
>people like a band that I don't?
>they must be plebs that don't listen to music
gain some awareness
>>
>>63893221
People post this like it's supposed to prove Animal Collective are horrible musicians when in fact it proves the opposite. They're passionate about their craft and they're fucking having fun. And that's all it should be about.
>>
>>63893204
I would've said HCtI but I figured the droney parts weren't the best representation of their early animalistic sound. Also I picked Sung Tongs since while it was still odd (freak folk) it was melodically much closer to their later work and not as intense as their early stuff. Feels is nearly pop-era in comparison.
>>
>>63893221
>cherrypicking
>>
>>63893246
This, people take Animal Collective way too seriously. Much of their music is better taken in a lighter context.
>>
>>63893221
This is like outsider music. I like it though. I know I heard Winter's Love in there
>>
>>63893196
It's just another AnCo thread fulled with their autistic fans, nothing new
>>
>>63893254
not him, but i disagree, especially when watching early feels live shows, they were still pretty trippy and sloppy like early anco. it's a bit poppier, but it's still got stuff like flesh canoe, bees, and daffy duck, which even the most seasoned plebs don't like. and even the poppy songs aren't too poppy, they're mostly just upbeat and lacking in distortion.
>>
>>63893221
Jesus. What kinds of drugs did they take?
>>
File: cheezin.jpg (8 KB, 258x195) Image search: [Google]
cheezin.jpg
8 KB, 258x195
>>63893426
The Love drug.
Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.