[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been playing violin and piano for about a year and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: Writers-Block.jpg (45 KB, 468x373) Image search: [Google]
Writers-Block.jpg
45 KB, 468x373
I've been playing violin and piano for about a year and a half, have singing lessons every once in awhile and have quite a bit of sense of rhythm due to playing drums for 10 years (got bored tho). Learned a few songs and played with people here and there but I've never written a full song or anything that I haven't disliked immediately. I've read quite a few books in my life so I'd also argue that my vocabulary is good enough to write some lyrics that aren't completely shit and are at least semi-interesting.

How the fuck do you start writing music?
I'm hopeful that if I just start it'll be easier to keep writing and making new things as time goes on but I can never seem to sit down and actually do something (apart from practicing songs/scales every day on the violin and piano - I have no issues with that).

I'm having trouble hearing my own melodies in my head because they always seem to just clash with likable music (to me) that I listen to everyday and it's just derivative nonsense.

Do you like, write melodies on chords or vice versa? Melodies on modes/scales? Lyrics on melodies or vice versa?

How do I start /mu/! Please help. :(

Pic sort of related.
>>
bump pls
>>
>>63876533
pmub
>>
>>63876533
Should have learned guitar its literally the easiest instrument to write for...Still the only advice I can give you is to not focus on writing each part individually and putting them together. I usually start with decent chord progression and start singing until I have a melody I like. Just keep writing over every part, its that easy.
>>
>>63876533
Ok, try this.
Do a simple chord progression
C C F G
Now, write a main melody using only quarters. Don't think it too thoroughly. Now, add some feel to it using syncopation and smaller notes to decorate. That will be your main theme. Do variations on that theme, and then go back to the original theme. You've got yourself a sonata.
>>
>>63877109
I played it for 5 years but also quit. It got boring rather quick.

Thanks btw.
>>63877196
>>
>>63877109

>i play guitar in a metal band
>>
>>63877654
what ?
metal songwriting is not like that you should have typed
>i play guitar in a "rock" band

>i play guitar in a metal band
should have been if anon talked about muh "epic" riffs or shit like that
memes, know them
>>
bamp
>>
dude just relax and realize everything starts with small things and you just put hours and hours into working on them. writing stuff is absolutely the equivalent to walking around in the dark trying to figure out what kinda place you are in
>>
>>63878505
Good analogy
>>
Writing always came pretty easy to me, to the point where it was hard to even learn anyone else's songs since halfway though I'd just start modifying them until they were completely different and end up never learning the whole song.
>>
>>63878749

That's much more creative than what happens to me
>>
>>63876533
Bruh, you can't just sit down and write a song. The best ones come from what you pick up in day-to-day life that you then find a way of turning into music.
>>
>>63879068
What is that way tho
>>
Takes time. Took me eight years of doing covers before I wrote my first song and that song was dog shit. But once the time came I was able to crank out songs I actually liked. But the lyrics were still cringy. Now I'm at a different plsce 11years later where the lyrics are more out of rhythm, more esoteric, and more interesting than what I've ever done. You gotta start small and suck at it. Then the melodies will find you.
>>
>>63881303
Damn eight fucking years
>>
>>63881466
To be fair I was a bassist for five of those years. I'm 25 now so it ain't so bad. Do wish I could have written the shit I do now back when I was younger. But its whatever.
>>
>>63881303

Thanks. I guess I just have to accept my first songs being absolute dogshit and move on.
>>
>>63881704
Is it too late for me (being 22)?
>>
>>63876533
>How the fuck do you start writing music?
take an instrument
sit down
(knowing how to play the instrument you're using helps)
start making noise. if you know a scale, fuck around with the scale. make chords you haven't done before. keep adjusting the sound until you make sound you like.
repeat until you have a complete piece of melody/bassline/just fucking noise that you like
take this and repeat

eventually you'll have a song
>>
>>63881770
I don't know, man. Depends on what you want. You want to be a star? Have discussions about your albums on this board? I can't speak towards that.

But if you're like me and use music as a way of reminding yourself what your voice sounds like. If you make music to be loud and remind yourself that you're alive. To leave a digital footprint of who you were. Then its never too late.

You'll just have to suck it up and do your time.
>>
>>63882168
>>63882223
Thanks anons helps a lot
>>
>>63882290
don't know if that's sarcastic but i'm serious
here:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1k0nu93gUBw

this track isn't great (or even good, it's rough even by my standards), but I made it. i sat down and started playing around with the dmaj scale, and half an hour later i had this, just from tinkering around in my bedroom. the rythm is off, the recordings are a bit jank because of how i had to record it, it's not a professional track but i made it and i like it. what have you made?

there is no secret, there is no process. Every person is creative in their own way, and it's pretty easy to find your own by just making art the way you like/want art to be made. sit down and just DO IT. eventually you'll grasp a way.
>>
>>63882366
It's not sarcastic I mean it! That's why I made this thread
>>
>>63882431
oh good then!

never worry about how skilled you are at your instrument or how old you are or anything like that. skill will always help, but the important part is that you make art that is your own, not anybody else's. just do what you want to do, and experiment and fuck around with new things until you find out what that is.
>>
>>63882492
<3
>>
>>63882492
One caveat - look out for ego inflation. I see it more in young guys but no one is immune. Keep humble and make sure you hit up the band camp threads here and study the amateurs. Make sure your shit is better than their shit before you talk yourself up. And when you ask for feed back listen to mother fuckers. Mixing is an art as well and bad mixing will ruin a good album. Express yourself but be critical as fuck because other people will be too.
>>
>>63882786
Sound advice thank you very much!
>>
Just write shit, whether it's good or shit. I think we have friendly criticism threads here or something. We could give multiple views through professional members and shit posting. Just stick it on a single and post links. Ask you want to do is convey a message or story. So we can tell you if it's coming across. Also, for examples and practice of lyrics, read/write poetry
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.