[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
P4K and other music sites
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: 6DxJO5o0.jpg (18 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
6DxJO5o0.jpg
18 KB, 400x400
It seems like /mu/ has a hate/love-relationship with Pitchfork. Why is that? And what are some music sites that you enjoy?
>>
Don't really pay attention to them.

Hate that scaruffy meme-guy tho
>>
>>63861631
Who the fuck is that?
>>
Marcel is infinitely more entertaining and insightful on great, obscure new releases.
>>
File: 1279892836436.jpg (164 KB, 433x434) Image search: [Google]
1279892836436.jpg
164 KB, 433x434
I don't care about music reviews, where can I go for music news and info about new releases?
>>
>>63862265
http://marcelsmusicjournal.com/tagged/listen
>>
>>63861611
>hate/love relationship
it's 90% hate and 10% ironic love

no one on here genuinely likes them (except for the people that work for pitchfork and bump their nightly threads for page hits)
>>63862232
>>63862284
go the fuck back to bed marcel
>>
>>63862296
shut up you ignorant tool, you know NOTHING about ANYTHING.
>>
>>63862315
hi zoladz
>>
>>63862296
So where do you go for your music news?
>>
>>63862766
here
>>
Sputnikmusic is my favorite. They cover news, have staff (and user) reviews, generally don't act all hipster/pretentious about certain types of music, etc. It's like a P4K that doesn't sniff its own farts.
>>
>>63863006
Jesus...
>>
Stereogum, Sputnik, RYM, TMT. Those are the only places I go for tunes.
>>
TMT has good writing and covers good music but they never update and half of their content is memes

The 405 has good writing and updates frequently but covers a lot of boring music

The Quietus is perfect, but very pretentious
>>
I know mu is quick to dismiss any "blog" but this site offers some good discussion on occasion:

http://basementalitymedia.com/2016/04/06/untitled-unmastered-album-review/

http://basementalitymedia.com/2016/04/02/slime-season-3-album-review/
>>
>>63861611
Plenty of people who work for Pitchfork or have written for them in the past are talented and have plenty of insight on popular music. But their site has sucked for a while and the editorial content in terms of both columns and album reviews has gotten pretty abysmal. I've been checking out some blogs. Like Mark Richardson's and Tom Ewing's. I like going through Christgau's archives, especially his long-form columns. Consumer Guide stuff is quippy but he lost the plot somewhere. Like he's obsolete. Oh shit right The Quietus! Enjoy them. I also bought a subscription to The Wire but the writing is kinda turgid so I've been loath to read and explore what they're covering. What a waste.
>>
>>63863413
I actually appreciate the SS3 review. Its not a circle jerk which is refreshing
>>
>>63863559
>this is a real person that genuinely exists
>>
>>63863876
I mean I'm not even looking for new releases most of the time anyway. Could you give me a few tips? Where do you turn? Always appreciated. Are you looking for new releases or are you just interested in writing on popular music? I guess I'm looking for both but I really don't feel enthusiastic about new releases.
>>
>>63864104
For new releases:
>Tiny Mix Tapes
>The Needle Drop
>Spin
>Basementality
>The Quietus (if you can deal with how pretentious and stupid they are)

For old stuff:
>Rate Your Music
>mu (sharethreads, chart threads, anything that involves exploring stuff)
>>
Pitchfork is garbage. NME is probably worse. At least Stereogum and TMT deliver decent news. All pitchfork gives us is badly written reviews and articles like "best memes of 2015." But you should never have your taste spoon-fed to you by a website like pitchfork. Develop your own opinions instead of looking at what recently got bnm.
>>
>>63864191
Okay are you the same person as >>63863876 ? I knew about this stuff but thanks.
>>
>>63864310
Yeah. There's not like secret sites to sort of learn about music, its all on you. The sites are good for springboarding your own taste and eventually developing and branching out. For the first few years, sure, use Pitchfork and the other sites I listed as a crutch to learn about what's good and help sift through the countless releases of the years. But eventually, you'll be on your own and it'll be better.
>>
>>63864384
Echoing this

You'll get there ;)

Also what the fuck are the quietus and basementality. Literally never heard of them before this thread.
>ps tinymixtapes is more pretentious than pitchfork
>>
>>63861611
I have hated Pitchfork long before I came to /mu/, they had really bad infuelnce on music journalism

I have used Drowned in Sound and Sputnik Music
>>
>>63864726
Drowned in Sound is so aesthetically unpleasing though. And I hate the way they qualify every score as a product of the writer's taste, not the site's.
>>
>>63864918
>And I hate the way they qualify every score as a product of the writer's taste, not the site's.
Not him but I actually like that. It's a nice change of pace. That's more accurate and genuine in a certain aspect. You just know that not all the writers have the same opinions about every album all the time.
>>
>>63864973
I agree its more genuine but it feels like a blog at that point. Like it gives you no indication of what the site values, just glimpses of what this one writer thinks.
>>
Here's the thing. If you want new recs you need to find independent blogs. But when blogs get posted, mu collectively shouts SHILL and destroys the poster
>>
>>63863006
getting your music news (or opinions) (or anything really) from /mu/ sounds like a fucking nightmare. Pitchfork is, by far, the best when it comes to news. And whether you like their reviews or not, they review mostly everything so it's a good way to keep up with what's coming out or what just came out.
>>
Memethony Fantano is the best and you all know it
>>
>>63866148
The meme king is better than pitchfork, ill give you that
>>
>>63866148
nah
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.