[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
untitled unmastered
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: untitled unmastered.jpg (78 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
untitled unmastered.jpg
78 KB, 1000x1000
So are we in agreement that this is AOTY? Or at least better than Kanye and Denzel? And it's nothing but leftovers.

Plus everyone seems to have put this as hip-hop's high point so far:
>90 from TMT
>86 from Pitchfork
>84 from Basementality
>80 from Spin
>8/10 from the melon, too
>>
>forgetting about the deak
>>
2 > 8 > 1 > 3 > 7 > 4 > 6 > 5

I agree OP
>>
Too bad hip-hop is a boring genre which has gone through very little innovation in the past 10 years
>>
Blackstar is still AOTY
>>
>>63854322
OP idk why you tagged all those publications. Do you actually read all those?

That being said, its my second AOTY after blackstar
>>
>>63854345
I think we're witnessing a period of innovation right now. A few years ago I would have agreed with you though

>>63854387
I only included Pitchfork and the melon because /mu/ shits themselves over those two. I only really liked these two, but I figured including more would get more discussion:

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/music-review/kendrick-lamar-untitled-unmastered

http://basementalitymedia.com/2016/04/06/untitled-unmastered-album-review/

But again, more to just spark discussion. I don't personally care about scores.
>>
File: covr.jpg (138 KB, 658x644) Image search: [Google]
covr.jpg
138 KB, 658x644
>>63854322
no it got bland real quick like the rest of his projects.

Pic related is aotysf still in its own category
>>
>>63854440
Because Kendrick is finally making hip-hop political again and because Death Grips is kind of noisy?
>>
>>63854344
6 should be between 1 and 3, shit is groovy
>>
>>63854529
Death Grips barely constitutes as hip-hop now. But Kendrick is reinvigorating and popularizing that west coast 90's rap but combining it with the jazzy and experimental stuff that's also slowly emerging again.

And then you have albums like >>63854481 and it's just very clear this is a special time for hip-hop and music overall. There's no boundaries or limits anymore.
>>
>>63854322
It's terrible
>>63854586
>Kendrick is reinvigorating and popularizing that west coast 90's rap
HAHAHAHAHHA HE'S FUCKING SERIOUS
>>
>>63854481
i'm so fucking confused, I see this artwork everywhere but I have no idea what this album called or who it is by
>>
>>63854608
The artist is Babyfather. The album is BBF Hosted By DJ Escrow
>>
>>63854605
prove me wrong fgt
>>
I'm a big hip-hop fan but I think it has done all the innovation it's capable of. It's just a product of its style.
>>
>>63854322
AOTY so far maybe, but it's still April famalam

The Glowing Man is gonna be so good tho
>>
>>63854586
Nope, people like ice cube were completely different in emceeing, and the production of WC gangsta at the time was based upon thickly layered samples.

Kendrick is more like the rapper common in his style
>>
>>63854757
How about you listen to it. there's nothing 90s about it
>>
imperial is way better
>>
>>63854808
btw this is a good example

https://youtu.be/UN2D9yct2tY
>>
>>63854888
nice trips
I always wandered 1:10 wasn't it's own song
>>
>>63854775
pretty much

>black people rhyme about black people things over stolen 5 second music loops
>genre

not saying it can't be fun, but people who try to elevate it as a genre comparable to the massive umbrellas of rock or electronic music are idiots
>>
>>63854938
You seem informed
>>
>>63854938
>Instruments have to be played live for it to be a genre

W E W

E

W
>>
Who here is getting the autographed vinyl?
>>
>>63854980
>>63855011
I'm deadly serious. It holds the weight and variety of a sub-sub genre of rock. Like, new wave is a kind of pop rock, which is a kind of rock yeah? But now imagine that instead of being a phase in the 80s, new wave was treated as its own genre, all rock music released since then was new wave

that is what hip hop is
>>
>>63855090
I'm not gonna try and change your opinion, but I am going to try and challenge it.

Go Listen to any of the beat konducta albums by madlib (5&6 in particular) and hear how he brings out the best of instruments through sampling and makes them more than the sum of their parts.
>>
>>63854345
kek
>>
>>63855172
o, okay

I was actually just bored and shitposting, but since you were nice I'll just apologise for being a faggot and be on my way

Thanks for the rec
>>
File: 18758.png (213 KB, 602x240) Image search: [Google]
18758.png
213 KB, 602x240
>>63855249
no problem
>>
I liked TLOP more than Untitled Unmastered.
>>
>>63855090
Look I don't consider Kendrick hip-hop. rap sure but hip-hop's been pretty much dead since the 2000s
>>
>>63855632
Dumb boy
>>
Untitled Unmastered is nice but it's clearly a throwaway project and it lost its luster for me after a week or so

Babyfather, SS3, Imperial, and TLOP have had more of an impression on me so far
>>
>>63854322
>>63854322
I liked it more than TPAB, it's like the same thing with the same message but less preachy about it
>>
>>63854322
I like that kendrick produced an ep that's just the leftovers from TPAB, and people still praise it as a large cultural statement. I'm pretty sure he could put out 40 minutes of him experiencing post-Taco Bell diarrhea and it would be interpreted as the wailing cries of poor black urban youth. The scariest part about that is due to the cheap quality of food that the poor eat, you could make a legitimate argument for that interpretation and only look like 90, maybe even 80% of an asshole. What a time we live in.
>>
Imperial > untittied >>> shit >>>>>>>> tlop
>>
File: The Drones - Feelin Kinda Free.jpg (3 MB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
The Drones - Feelin Kinda Free.jpg
3 MB, 1400x1400
>>63854322
It's a great album, yeah.
Not album AOTYSF tho, pic related.
>>
>>63854344
>5 last
quality b8 right there u almost got me
>>
>>63854440
Damn that TMT review is like the most pretentious thing I've ever read
>>
>>63856564
There's people on Twitter slobbing all over Zayn's dick because "LOL SEX MUSIC" when there's music better shit out there. It's all a popularity contest anon.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.