[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/ - Music Production General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 14
File: TR-808-Roland.jpg (1 MB, 2400x1440) Image search: [Google]
TR-808-Roland.jpg
1 MB, 2400x1440
TR-80+8 edition.

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CGHNJpHndE
>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors (wink, wink, WINK)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.
Four tet is a god t bh
Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP : posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.
>>
>Mixing secrets for the small studio
>page not found

ayy lmao
>>
I dunno https://clyp.it/euioivaq
>>
>>63851676
Why are so many people using prod as a clyp.it version of a soundcloud thread these days? I feel like discussion is ded because everyone just wants people to look at their clyp.its.

>>63851536
also this, when I rarely make an OP, I usually say something about improving the pastebin
>>
who knows anything about the techniques amon tobin uses? he has been getting fantastic, expressive, mind-melting sounds out of something ppl on reddit call 'spectral morphing', and i tried to do something like that using m4l but i don't rly have time for all that.

Anyone know a good spectral morphing vst/au?
>>
>>63852167
The idea of the clypits is to encourage music production discussion in the thread. The problem is when you have posts like that one, with no specific questions or comments to make the clyp worth hearing or to give an idea of what feedback is wanted.

Basically puys itself on the same level of saying "send me yr beetz <sc link>". It takes just a little bit more to spark some discussion.

I think most /prod/sters study, so they're likely busy with school. Or maybe I'm just projecting my case onto everyone else's. Anyway, yeah, anons have to put more effort than "I dunno lol" into their posts.
>>
>>63851536
It sucks that a lot of these links are deprecated. I think I have that book on my PC. I can upload it to share it here if you still want/need it.

Has anyone here ever used Serum and/or Z3ta that can weigh in some opinions? I saw Z3ta+2 going for 50$ and I'm really thinking of pulling the trigger cus it's real cheap but I want to know what you guys think.

If it was Serum going for 50 I would have already bought it lol.
>>
>>63852965
I think you're right about college though, I used to post a lot more and this semester is killing me right now, so I'm not posting much myself.

>>63852692
I'm familiar with spectral morphing myself, but idk if there's a good VST for that, I've only done it in Kyma.
>>
>>63851474
four tet sucks
f a m
>>
>>63853030
aaaah shit

>>63853018
If you're a student or plausibly a student you can get the Serum price reduced by 33%.

Uh yeah neo-Serum is incredibly performant but still has a fuckton of features and arbitrarily complicated LFO/envelopes (which sold me).
>>
Anybody got any experience dealing with small labels? Looking for general advice when it comes to releasing something under a small, newly established internet-label.
>>
>>63853104
>that picture
Looks like some dumbass shit.
Can build your own 8core production PC for about 800$.

But isn't z3ta+2 for 50$ abit more reasonable than Serum for 120? Thanks for the comment though. Hopefully it's not real CPU hungry?
>>
>>63853312
I've never used it. If you do, please report back to /prod/ so we can know if it's any good!
>>
>>63853104
My uni has 2 pacas and 2 loaded capybaras, so I paid squat. Fun as hell though.
>>63853312
It sounds like shit until you realize its proprietary DSP cards that process audio more efficiently than your garden variety jack of all trades processor. The hardware doesn't have to run your OS and everything else like your computer processor does. Same goes for the dedicated sample RAM. I can technically do the same things in other coding platforms, but it would be extremely power hungry, which is not good when you're doing things live.

Pre rendered is fine if you're making a fixed work I guess.
>>
>>63854003
what??? what school is that?? i'm thinking abt something music-related for a master's rn
not gonna lie, being able to mess around on one of those things would break a tie hahaha
>>
>>63853030
>Kyma
Do you have a capibara or whatever it's called at home/school or can you use it without that thing?
>>
>>63853193
Get a contract, then get either a lawyer or law student friend to look over it. Don't sign anything
>>
>>63853018
Yeah upload that shit, need to get this horrorcore going
>>
>>63854307
The old rackmount one is the capybara, the smaller new ones are the paca and pacarana. We have the capybara in one studio, and the paca in another in a portable enclosure with a Mac mini. I also have the software on my own computers but it doesn't run native, so I have to have the hardware attached.

>>63854307
Our department is super small, if I told you where, I could get doxed. I can tell you they offer a masters in music performance or composition, but I don't think they offer anything digital audio related.
>>
>>63854724
It can't run on a midi controller? Interesting. So Kyma has a protocol that is non-midi then?
>>
>>63854856
>it can't run on a midi controller
I don't think you know very much about midi or midi controllers. Midi controllers don't run audio software, they're just controllers for software on your computer. Kyma is a hardware/software platform, not a controller. The software is hosted on your computer, and everything is processed on the dedicated hardware. Controllers are separate devices that you can use to integrate with your patches. We use a keyboard controller, a trigger to midi controller for some drum pads we made, and a behringer fader controller that Kyma will automatically assign knobs and faders to. The midi integration is actually pretty seamless, it's basically up to you to program what you want it to do.
>>
Guys, let's be honest here. I don't think I could ever achieve the same knowledge as an audio engineer, but I am interested in learning enough to be able to do some decent work. I've already went through the sticky numerous times, but this is not exactly what I want.

I know basic music theory, more than that, I have years of experience in classical music. I need to understand the technicalities of production, how to make a good drums, synth or any other instrument, how to EQ, really understand everything about frequency, additive and subtractive EQ, compression etc. etc. I've been dealing with FL Studio for around 2 years now, I have a lot of small projects but never really finished anything, and I really concentrated just on the composition so I still don't really know much about mixing. Then again, all of the YT tutorials and a lot of tutorials from sites like Lynda are really really basic, so I guess I know more than I think, but that is still nothing. I need some GOOD source for the shit I mentioned before. Something straight to the point. Is there maybe some audio engineering student that could recommend literal books from his course?
>>
>>63855204
>ad hominem
come on, dude

You have the Kyma software. I didn't know that external Kyma has to run on dedicated hardware-- in fact, I bet it would be a bit easy to be able to run it on any decent macbook-tier hardware.
>>
>>63855248
Try to reconstitute a song you love from scratch (take, for example, Flim by Aphex Twin).
>>
>>63855267
>ad hominem
what? I just thought you didn't know very much about midi

I'm sure it would be easy to create something comparative that can run on macbook hardware, but the way kyma was built around the DSP (rendering audio in realtime, not in a memory buffer), it's not currently possible. You'd also hit the CPU limits a lot easier on a general purpose CPU. Basically, you would have a more user friendly Max/MSP.

An 8 core processor isn't the same thing as 4 individual DSP chips.
>>
>>63855286
I should really try to do that. Was always thinking about it but never did it. But still, I don't know much production theory and I can't just only play around and see what works and what doesn't.

I don't want to be like this guy lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEEau89XEDk
>>
>>63855248
I found this mastering video course in TPB or kickass, I don't remember which one, but just search "mastering course" and it should come up. I got it like more than a year ago and i still haven't watched it huehuehue.
>>
>>63855461
Is this guy just fucking with us, or does he really talk like this?
>>
>>63855506
That's what it looks like when someone does a A+ job on a voice over. Yeah it's a parody lol. I hope nobody thought the music in the intro sounded good because it seriously sounded like absolute trash.
>>
>>63855608
I thought the shitty music made sense, because it was made by a company who exclusively makes gaymen products.
>>
>>63855486
>>63855608
>>63855461

the real thing is just as bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IPxxeb-4gk
>>
>>63855608
Kek yeah, that was a parody of him, but you can watch the original where he doesn't really know what he is talking about.
>>
>>63855433
that's fair.
>>
>>63855608
The intro is trash but it makes me kek so hard every time.
>>
https://clyp.it/gbskhu0m
hey lads any tips for mixing here?
>>
>>63851676
very good I enjoyed it
>>
Anyone know anything about mapping LED feedback for MIDI controllers in Ableton? Having the worst time finding the answer to this.
>>
m80s how do you feel about selling the album you made with a pirated DAW? (well, pirated DAW, plugins, vstis, etc.)
I did a quick math and it would take me more than $10k to get the DAW and plugins I use the most. Are you supposed to get them legally before selling an album?
>>
>>63856218
No one can really prove you used a certain DAW or vst to make your album, much less prove that it is pirated. Unless you publicized that information or someone had access to your PC.

As for samples, that's another story.
My thought is that you did it wrong from the start by pirating shit. DAW demos and free vsts/samples are extremely capable and can teach you a lot if you put in the time to git gud with them. But you're way past that point.

Also
>10k
What the heck are you using? ProTools and Waves plugins?
>>
>>63856322
Also if you buy things bit by bit, after a long while you have 10k worth of things. What's cool is that when you buy something, by the time you have the spare cash to buy the next thing, you've already spent plenty time with the last thing so you got pretty good with it.
>>
File: CVK_9maVAAAFVkU[1].jpg (35 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
CVK_9maVAAAFVkU[1].jpg
35 KB, 600x400
where the fuck do I start with ableton

I always make a nice sounding thing with two midi instruments and then I nitpick over some fucking setting I dont understand and when I can't get it to sound exactly how I want I just give up

is there a big guide out there somewhere? the tutorial kinda sucks
>>
>>63856218
I sold several beats to shitty soundcloud rappers over the past year with a pirated DAW.

I saved all the money I made from those commissions to buy the legit version, made me feel good.
>>
>>63856397
keep using it. I knew fuck all about anything when I got it but kept at it until I had what I want if you don't know what a word or an effect means then google it don't learn ableton learn sound production and apply it to ableton
>>
>>63856397
You're not using FL studio, and you might not be producing trap music.

But check out this series, he goes over a lot of general producing tips and tricks for a beginner in a clear manner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m5ud-jpOP4

this might not help you but at least I tried
>>
>>63856397
>is there a big guide out there somewhere?
yes they include this thing called the manual that covers every aspect of the software.
>>
>>63851676
>>63852167
Oh shit, sorry.
Pasted the clyp over my message.

I dunno how to continue this. Got any tips? I suck at playing the guitar, and I'll most likely re-record it.

Since it's been a couple of hours, I've expanded on it.
Removed the drums, looped the guitar for 3 minutes and 30 seconds and normalized them, recorded some variations and layering them on top of the original with a bunch of effects. I also added a constant sub and an oscillating pad.
https://clyp.it/rzicog0v
I'm stuck here now, so feedback would be nice.
Or maybe I should just let it end at 4 minutes?

Also, I rarely got any actual feedback on my posts when I used to post a lot and gave feedback to other people. /prod/ has its good days and bad days.

>>63856091
Thanks.

>>63856218
I don't know for sure, but if you want to get signed to a label, they might ask that you give them proof that you bought your DAW.

>>63856749
This.
RTFM.
>>
>>63856397
RTFM and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dza0RKSVLCo&list=PLa9ASr8n5idArGa1uaBExM-lI-nO1P959
>>
File: R0dxnh9.webm (1 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
R0dxnh9.webm
1 MB, 720x404
>>63856397
what it feels like trying to use audio effects in ableton without any understanding of audio engineering
>>
what is the best synth I can buy under $200.
I'm a poorfag and I just bought a laptop to start producing again because my old one broke.
I only have a Novation Launchkey, a Maschine that I can't use, and Ableton.

Help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
>>
>>63857460
There are no good synths under $200
>>
>tfw you've been super inspired for weeks and don't know where to go with your music. ;_;

>>63855658
They probably would have had more success with his ghost producer.

>>63856218
Eh, it's definitely questionable. Of course it's pretty hard to prove that an album was made using pirated software so I wouldn't worry too much about the legal aspect, I think the moral aspect is bit more concerning. Personally, I've paid for my DAW and the plugins and samples that I use the most. Stuff that I use on odd occasions I don't bother with trying to go legit.

>>63856749
lol

>>63857460
It's better to just go with a decent soft-synth under $200. You can't really get anything good for hardware in that price range. For soft-synths, Serum, Sylenth1, Diva if you have CPU to spare. They're all pretty decent and I've had some good use out of each.
>>
>>63856440
how do i get into that?
>>
File: EQ Frequencies.png (379 KB, 806x706) Image search: [Google]
EQ Frequencies.png
379 KB, 806x706
>>63855248
this chart really helped me grasp EQ
>>
>>63858504
How can I make my music sound more "professional"?
It sounds good but at the same time it sounds "blegh" (for a lack of a better term)
It sounds dull and straightforward
Like for example you listen to a Lil Ugly Mane beat and it sounds colorful and vibrant, and then you listen to a random soundcloud rapper and the beat sounds "blegh" (again, for a lack of a better term)
I don't know how to thoroughly describe it, but I'm sure you know what I mean
How can I fix this?
Is it a mixing and mastering thing?
>>
>>63858592
Nice hardware. A lot of in the box stuff just sounds bland. That's why people limit it and squash it so hard, the only way to make it less bland is to totally smash it.
>>
does prod know how to crack finale 2014? I need it for homework, and I've exceeded the 8 track limit for Notepad
>>
I want the DSI Oberheim so bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6GG7V7oGoQ
>>
>>63858239
Make good enough beats that they want to rap over them. That, and marketing. Lots of marketing to these rappers. While I personally don't have any tips for that type of marketing, I know people who have experience and could help you out. Or just wait for anon to reply.
>>
>>63858592

download more plug-ins and learn how to use then. things like pre-amps, compressors, EQ's, distortions and such things.
>>
>>63858900
that's really corny
I like the new DSI, but that video doesn't do a thing for me
>>
Anyone ever just feel like quitting music? Like you feel like you could go months without touching a daw or a keyboard and you'd be fine? Is this being burnt out?
>>
>>63858998
>Anyone ever just feel like quitting music? Like you feel like you could go months without touching a daw or a keyboard and you'd be fine? Is this being burnt out?
Yup. Feel that often, actually. I always come crawling back to my great, though.
>>
>>63858998
That's just being uninspired and possibly a lack of confidence. Burnt out is when you've made so much music, sitting several hours every day for an extended period of time, that you dread the very thought of starting up your DAW.
No easy way to get into it other than to listen to some new music, watching some creative movies, or absorbing some inspiring art and then just getting back into it.
>>
>>63858973
>>63858900
>camera pans out
>was neon indian playing the whole time
>>
>>63855248
Mastering Audio by Bob Katz was one of the go-to books to begin learning about audio mastering last I checked. The Mixing Engineer's Handbook by Owsinski is a good introductory text on classic, basic mixing practices and contains some small interviews with several fairly accomplished mixing engineers.

For more "modern" genres and approaches to production, like rap or any genre with a bunch of synths in it, you can get some free stuff from Warbeats, and one artist named Zircon has a few good tutorials on some subjects for free as well. Be warned, though, many free tutorials are mostly "you get what you pay for" created by amateurs. If it doesn't sound good, it ain't good.
>>
>>63859432
>one artist named Zircon

Mr. Aversa insists that it's zircon, lower-cased. But yeah, he has some great tips. I need to see if he's added anything new to his website lately. I know he's busy with ISW though, so probably not.
>>
>>63855658
pirated version of sylenth1 lel
>>
Looking for opinions on tempo and drop of this WIP.

Too fast? too slow?
Is there enough tension before the drop at 0:40?
Does the transition into the drop sound off?

https://clyp.it/qcsycb5j
>>
>>63859930
Rolloff the bass dude, it's making my head vibrate.

That scratch at :35 also sounds extremely off, and the chord synth at the beginning is kinda ugly. Otherwise, I really like it. I'd suggest leaving more room before the kick comes in.
>>
>>63853312
just pirate both and buy the one you like more
>>
I just ordered an MPC 2000xl what should I expect?

Any tips/tricks?
>>
how can I tell if something I made is good or not? I can hardly ever get anyone to give me feedback unless it is in a souncloud thread or something and usually it isn't liked very much even though when I made it I liked it a lot. I usually use 2-3 different synth patterns and a have a changing drum beat behind them. How do you tell if something you made is good or not before getting someone's opinion?
>>
>>63858239
make a soundcloud and put your shit on there, and post it on forums and stuff asking people to critique while you critique theirs

build a small following basically
>>
>>63860431
Just be confident and don't let other people give you your validation. Everyone is full of shit anyway.
>>
>>63860431

you'll know
>>
>>63860431
ALWAYS produce over speakers FIRST then go onto headphones

I think only I do this but take a break and 'wash' your ears out every twenty minutes or so with nujabes' album metaphorical music, just two songs will do. This is to regian decibel sensitivity once you get to the mixing/mastering stage, you will pick up things in the 5khz+ regions better once you get back to it

Ask anyone who lives with you or near to you to listen your music once you're done. It's always good to have a fresh pair of ears to judge panning and midtone presence. Just don't ask them about the general quality if they aren't into music as much as you are.
>>
>>63860994
Thank you
>>
>>63861042
No problem

And I forgot one thing which should be the third step, and that is to listen to your music yourself during a simple, then a slightly more exhaustive task.

For example, you could start by listening while browsing 4chan over speakers and then headphones, then go onto cooking while using your speakers on a good laptop.

This will help you to single out repetitive/uninteresting melodies and rhythms.
>>
How do I stay motivated while producing? I usually just end up fucking around on my synths or guitars or something then give up on a song when it's still in the demo stage.
>>
>>63860994
what if I don't have speakers
>>
>>63861365

I'd second this as it's been very, very useful to me over the years.

After a while practising critical listening it becomes hard not to do it all the time, it has its rewards in that you discover things in other people's music that you were previously unaware of but it also takes away that thing that got you into music in the first place - the overall sound of a song as a whole, the thing that you want people to hear in your music.

You need a way to de-focus and any menial task is a good way to do that.
>>
>>63857315

i tried watching his videos but the guy is just so fucking slow in explaining things. All his videos could've been done in half the time they actually take.
>>
I just bought an LPD8 and fuck I'm loving this thing.

The best part about it imo is actually the knobs. it feels way more intuitive to turn knobs than to use your mouse to change settings/sliders.

I feel like I've already learned more about music production this day than I've learned in the past 2 months.
>>
File: IMG_2835.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2835.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Amateur here,

I have a musical/life mentor who has let me use his home studio to record two EP's for two different bands I know.
I'm doing it for free because I'm only a couple years into my study and have no credentials to actually charge anything. It's also been an awesome learning experience so far (mostly learning how much I don't know) because I was able to record, produce the projects. I'm also in an incredibly lucky situation where I am given free reign alone in a studio.

I am now on the process of mixing and mastering. Again, I've only been at this craft for 2 or 3 years tops so my mixes aren't pro level and nothing to brag about, but they're not bad for a beginner. I know how to make stuff sound not bad.

Or at least I thought.
So for these projects I'm using Pro Tools connected through Fire Wire into a Midas Venice F32 console, and Yamaha HS8 monitors.

I'm finding that my mixes sound great when I'm in the studio, but when I bounce it to an MP3 or WAV file to check my work in my car or on my ipod, it sounds horrible.

It's both really quiet (which I know can be fixed with mastering) and sounds completely different than what I'm hearing in the studio.

How can I get my mixes to a volume that is audible without turning the volume to the max on whatever I'm listening to it on?

Also what's the deal with the monitors? I have always thought that they were well respected? Is it the room?

Pic Related: the studio
>>
>>63861365
i do that all the time. im not trying to make you listen to these but when you say single out uninteresting melodies, are these melodies uninteresting? the first one is real repetitive but i made it to be a beat and ive realized that a lot of rap beats are quite repetitive. if you feel like giving them a quick one over and telling me what you think that would be awesome even if you didnt like it id like to get better

https://clyp.it/4kuy220r

https://clyp.it/chv5j3oz
>>
File: pills.jpg (79 KB, 840x561) Image search: [Google]
pills.jpg
79 KB, 840x561
what i can do differently next time / improve? i mean like i cant fix shit that doesnt work unless thereĀ“s feedback thanks in advaaaance
>digital ethnic downtempo whateverthefuck genre BS

https://clyp.it/ynpiszs1
>>
>>63861529
I usually go on youtube and watch videos on mixing, producing, recording tips, etc. Also, try covering a song you like.
>>
File: 1439710106475.jpg (49 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
1439710106475.jpg
49 KB, 604x453
https://clyp.it/lrzddrbt

can I get some feedback, lads?
>>
>>63861626
>Also what's the deal with the monitors? I have always thought that they were well respected? Is it the room?

Are those NS-10s? They're more of an analytical tool than a reference monitor - they were never considered accurate but what they are good at is checking for errors in mixes.
>>
>>63861681
not bad at all, i like it, especially the flute hits and and the wobbly squarewave synth
>>63861739
tom drum thats come in around :50 are a great touch. everything about it sounds fine.

if anyone feels up for giving me feedback
>>63861643
>>
>>63860994
this is very good advice
another trick against getting used to the own sound is putting a reference track into your project and jumping to it every 15 minutes or so

I once made a hip hop beat without any pause for like 3 hours and was like damn this is fire
then I listened to something else and when I came back I was like wtf is this shit, where's the high end

>>63861531
get some my man
>>
>>63861840
they're HS8's they're powered. I think the NS 10s are passive, and are great.
But it's weird, I've done some research on it, andI can't find anything bad about the monitors online
>>
anyone know of any good resources for learning about sampling?
>>
I've been told that nothing sounds quite like an 808, is this true?
>>
>>63861643
your biggest problem is not the melodies themselves, but the lack of harmony. listen to this example I just made:
https://clyp.it/owjqqr1z

the first two sections are both main parts played individually. The final section is the two main parts played together. They harmonize with each other and enhance each other.
There's a saying "the harmony does all the work and the melody gets all the credit" and it's 100% true.
>>
>>63861643
Guy you replied to

For the first one, your tempo is a little off, the chords and melody fell like they are overpowering rather than supporting the drums. My right ear is crying too, get the panning sorted out

It gets stronger as it goes on, but throughout it feels disjointed. It could use more EQing and the same goes for the second, they both sound like a slightly orderly mess.

Sorry for being critical but that's just how it is.
>>
>>63862085
dang thanks this is helpful. so i need to be finding combinations of melodies that with work in harmony
>>
>>63861954
busy works beats on youtube, the guy is a great speaker
>>
>>63862154
thank you for the feedback
>>
https://clyp.it/tnlv2zny

need le feedback
>>
>>63862200
that "snap" sound at ~0:34 sounds like it's coming from behind me. this is fucking crazy
>>
>>63862200
>https://clyp.it/tnlv2zny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zip3u016uXE

i am cracking up rn
not that your thing is bad, i actually quite like it.
>>
>>63862200
my ears are singing

>>63860994
I'm this guy
https://clyp.it/1w44xenu

For my stuff I only used FL plugins, do I need something extra or is this a good base to improve on for a newbie?
>>
how do i rip off the bass sound from come up and get me?
>>
>>63862752
don't go over board with that reverbed thing.too much makes it suck. if i were you i'd just use it every few measures just to break up the monotony.
>>
>>63862752
sounds good how many synths did you use i hear the lead and a string. good stuff
>>
Can i get feedback please, am i bad at fl studio based on this, i made this in an hour and a half. i can make beats fast but i only feel inspired to make them 2-3 times a month is that normal?

https://clyp.it/xdep0t5m
>>
File: 1457585938834.png (127 KB, 493x391) Image search: [Google]
1457585938834.png
127 KB, 493x391
https://clyp.it/vrhzi134

wip

dunno what else to say really, just wanted to share
>>
>>63863058
ngl senpai, it sounds like you only spend an hour and a half per month.

>>63863109
that intro is horrid
>>
>>63862531

bongos man

>>63862752
is that good
>>
https://splice.com/sounds/splice/deadmau5-chimaera

hey someone put this up on a torrent site yeah?
>>
File: setup.png (238 KB, 1848x780) Image search: [Google]
setup.png
238 KB, 1848x780
>>63862807
I actually updated this to have less reverb on my SC

>>63862921
Minus the gaps in both the chords and melody and the organ pattern this shows you roughly what my base was. I am now updating this to a horrorcore sound and it seems like that was a good base. It sounds eerie as it should to me.

I uploaded that to clyp a while back and I remember fucking around with envelopes, the sustain and release a lot, decay and attack changes being less fucked around with.

I was typing something up whilst doing it so it was a step by step process.

sorry4blogpost

>>63863286
You bet it is, great work man
>>
I've got a vintage drum sample pack with almost all the legacy drum machine sound, but how do I get the other, non-legacy sounds? What about real drum hits? Is there any plugin for this stuff? I'm using FL 12 by the way
>>
give me a chord sequence my niggas
>>
>>63863406
Demo guy here that made ur ears sing

I highly recommend you get the following:

Alchemy, and a bunch of its preset packs (DO NOTTTTTTTTT use base presets tho, always alter them, mix them, reverb them, change delay, change pitch, detune, etc, ALTER THEM)

Sylenth

Kontakt and its packs

For mixing, I use isotope ozone 4, 5 looks better tho

my thing was a demo so it wasnt mastered really, but I also master, and rec u use Isotope for that as well and dc8c2/

Is there anything in my demo that ud like to do? I could tell you what I did.
>>
>>63863642
Just us anything in g minor, ur welcome
>>
>>63863642
i iiĀ° V6 i
>>
>>63863445

I use Addictive drums for my acoustic percussion - it does also have a pack (they're called AdPaks) containing electronic sounds like Linn Drums and Simmons drums recorded to analogue tape, called Reel Machines
>>
https://clyp.it/pj2figt3

I'm having a hard with the arrangments.
wana witch it up and maybe move the second section around.
I've also been mixing with headphones, laptop speakers, car stereo, tv's, basically anything I find.
I have a mixing cheat sheet. Kinda helps, I guess.

>the feels when no studio quality monitors to piss off your neighbors with
>>
how do i get some nice drum samples, bros
the ones that come with ableton suck ass
>>
>>63864052
>how do i get some nice drum samples, bros
>the ones that come with ableton suck ass
Lol not if you know what you're doing they don't
>>
File: 1443034976212.png (96 KB, 172x233) Image search: [Google]
1443034976212.png
96 KB, 172x233
>>63864052
...the internet

>>63864153
also this
>>
File: mouseandlaptop.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
mouseandlaptop.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
My set up for you guys
>>63863645
Bookmarking the pages for tomorrow, thanks.

I'm pretty comfortable as of now with mixing and mastering, thanks for asking

And I would like to know some tips for the FPC in FL studio, have not used it that much

>>63864052
sampleradar
>>
File: 1456949413548.png (120 KB, 355x340) Image search: [Google]
1456949413548.png
120 KB, 355x340
who else here just has a list of songs they plan on remixing at some point in a few years when they actually get good?
>>
I've been watching rhythm roulette and against the clock videos and has anyone tried either? I haven't been very motivated with anything lately, especially writing/recording but these seem pretty interesting.

Especially against the clock, like seeing what you can come up with in a certain amount of time
>>
>>63864153
>Lol not if you know what you're doing they don't
what do you mean? most of the snares are weak asf... smdh
>>
>>63864167
>...the internet
epic 4chin response xD
>>
>>63864431
fucking retard. where else are you going to get samples from? I doubt you have a proper recording studio if you're asking dumbass questions like that.
>>
>>63864375
It's called getting good, scrub.

But for real, if you're skilled with mixing and layering, these "weak" snares can be epic percussion sounds. It's knowing how to use them. At some point you need to stop looking for the right paint color and just fucking start painting.
>>
>>63861626
The room doesn't look great acoustically for mixing. Try referencing your mixes on headphones. Especially when dealing with bass instruments; bass frequencies are especially troublesome in most non-ideal mixing rooms. Headphones don't have the acoustical problems that rooms have, so can often be better for mixing bass.
>>
>>63864533
>>63861626
Also don't worry about the loudness of the mix. That can wait til mastering
>>
>>63864533
>>63864563

thanks for the advice! Yeah you're probably right, I'm going to start doing more with headphones.
>>
I'm an uninitiated hyperpleb to using daws and i thought that using a basic daw would be the best place to start. I have lmms right now and I'm wondering if i could get any tips on starting out and then transitioning with experience, Is this a good way to go?
>>
dunno where I'm going tbqh
https://clyp.it/ghzhwump
>>
>>63864935
Audacity :^)
>>
>>63864935
get ableton or FL studio and RTFM
>>
>>63861626
>ways to get it louder
turn it up, use meters, use compression, use soft clipper, add reverb, add overdrive/distortion/saturation, double tracking/layering parts, steroe separation, add white noise, use EQ correctly, compress the fucking shit out of every track and the master and slam it all into a limiter again and again
>>
>>63864935
Find a daw you like, first and foremost. Try out all the demo versions, then acquire the one you like best. I encourage you to actually buy the software, but that's at your discretion. I'll recommend Mixcraft as a next-level DAW. Not overly expensive, has a fair amount of features, and doesn't have a ridiculous learning curve. But again, that's up to you.
>>
>>63864321
i have a list and some actual samples i chopped from the songs i want to remix sitting in a folder
Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.