[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm confused by /mu/'s relationship with pic related.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 293x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 293x300
I'm confused by /mu/'s relationship with pic related. I've been on this board consistently for about a year, and I know it's a giant meme. Honestly, though, I think it's a really great album, and I think a lot of other people think so too. I also think that people on this board rip it and call it a meme because they used to like it and now that it's more popular they want to be better than those newcomers who like it so they trash it. I could be totally wrong, I'm just curious as to the real relationship.
>>
>meme
>good album

pick one, both, or neither
>>
>>63850853
I think it's great, I'm recognizing that it's a meme on this board. Sorry for the confusion.
>>
No way in hell you've been here a year and need to ask what we think about meme hotel
not gonna spoonfeed u newfag
>>
>>63850853
both
>>
>>63850884
"we" is you. I'm not sure you understand what I'm asking.
>>
>>63850843
gosh everybody loves it you fucking fag
>>
I think that, crucially, you're taking the things you read on 4chan seriously.
>>
>>63850843
yeah maybe some people treat it like a meme but i think the majority of this board actually likes it

there was this one thread not so long ago that evolved around the memories people have had with this album or something like that and it was pretty clear that it's a pretty beloved album on here. i was actually a pretty sweet tread
>>
The board is actually made up of (an estimation) a few hundred regular posters and probably well over a thousand incidental posters (I fall into the second category, I usually lurk here oncr or twice a week and post very infrequently). Among those are a few different archetypes of people, some who really like and appreciate music as musicians, or deep musical appreciators. They're very critical, they have ideals, they keep up with current music and have a deep background knowledge of music and its history. There are very few of these people, but they do exist here. There are also plenty of people who just like music and come here to talk about it, share it, discuss it, learn about some new music, this is where I find I fit in. There is also a large amount of contrarian shitposters who are here to try and be on the "cutting edge" of music and to learn when something has become popular enough to hate. This is probably the most vocal group on the board, and most of them are young but some people don't grow up.
Anyway, point is, there is no real "board consensus" on this album, but there's really nothing wrong with it. That isn't to say it's a "perfect" album, but it's good, fun, has some good music, isn't super simple or boring, etc.
Personally, it's an album I like. I can see it not being for everyone, but it seems a bit silly to me fo anybody to call it a "bad" album.
>>
>>63850897
but we are anonymousse xD

on a more serious note if you've been here for a year and stil don't know what /mu/ thinks about this album you should kill yourself desu
>>
>>63850952
I think you should read >>63850946

>>63850937
I'm sad I missed it
>>
most people here love or at least like the album and the vast majority of people who claim to detest it do so in order to be contrarian or edgy. there are only very few people who sincerely don't like the album and these are mostly people who aren't very fond of indie folk anyway
>>
>>63850999
Thank you, anon.
>>
File: 20140706_113237.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20140706_113237.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
musically it's like a fresh cut of modest mouse, keaton henson, and overall what you'd expect some of us to grow into when we stopped drinking mt dew and started drinking coffee. The wide availability meant threads and eventually it was memed
>>
ITAOTS is to /mu/ as Morrowind is to /v/
>>
You know when you like something a lot and when you show it to your little brother he hates it just because he wants to seem cool? It's like that.
>>
>about a year
>>
how is it even a meme i listened to it last night nothing funny or memey about it
>>
it's a good album man

just because there's always some asshole at any show of any band screaming for "free bird" doesn't mean it's a shitty song
>>
>>63850870
my point is that just becuase it's a meme doesn't mean it can't be a good album
>>
great album
>>
File: 1423089968001.png (38 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1423089968001.png
38 KB, 256x256
>>63850843
Allow me to end your confusion on possibly a lot of things regarding /mu/. Stop thinking of /mu/ as a single entity as this board is so schismatic as a whole and simply contrarian in it's nature that you will constantly find people disagreeing.

That said, that album is almost universally loved.
It's fucking great.

P.S.
Don't be one of those people who gets their opinions from /mu/ or RYM or Dancethony Partytano... making threads like "What does /mu/ think of X?"

[End Rant]
>>
The album is incredibly popular on the board and mostly universally loved by the users
But the board is large and has a diverse set of users
There's only so much you can say about a 19 year old albym so the threads that this album's fans make often have loads of shit posting, lyric quoting, and mindless praise for it
That caused disdain for from the people who like it. They only see the memes and they don't understand it's value so they get mad when people act like it's good or start talking about it and retaliate
That's all there is to it
>>
>I think it's a good album
>I think other people think that too
>I'm unironically posting this about the most famous and well regarded indie album of all time

What the fuck is this place?
>>
its a 10/10 album
>>
It's an amazing album that people listen to unironically.
>>
>>63850843
Shit album full of weird music. /mu/ calls it 10/10 just to seem intelligent and different than le mainstream.
>>
>>63850843
It's a genuinely great album but it's become uncouth to like it (because of p4k, fantano and general popularity), so people shit on it.
You typically get that sort of love/hate relationship with any given "/mu/core" album though.
>>
>>63854935
>not 'getting' ITAOTS
how pleb can you be
>>
>>63854935
how the hell is ITAOTS "weird?"
>>
>>63850853
I would say both, but It's hardly ever shit posted here anymore
>>
>>63850843
The entire board adores this album. It's our baby. We've just talked about it to death over the last like 6 years so it's only jokes now.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.