[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Albums you thought were overrated and horrible at first but now
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11
File: microphonesglow.jpg (152 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
microphonesglow.jpg
152 KB, 600x600
Albums you thought were overrated and horrible at first but now love. Add descriptions of why you hated it and why you fell in love if you want, if not, that's cool too.

>thought the recording quality was shotty as fuck and unlistenable
>thought people loved it for its shitty recording quality

>came to love it because it sounds so human and authentic
>constant theme of suicide that comes off as more genuine than it does edgy
>gorgeous melodies (especially "I Want Wind to Blow")
>>
I got lucky with the first time. I was really losing faith in it and then bam, in comes I Felt Your Shape.
>>
File: haino.gif (20 KB, 343x311) Image search: [Google]
haino.gif
20 KB, 343x311
Haino's "Watashi Dake?"

First listen, it sounded like aimless noise and empty nonsense vocals. I was right, BUT I looked up what "Watashi Dake?" meant after listening to some other Haino albums I liked.

It means something along the lines of "Just me?", and I realized that it was him expressing himself in the most personal way possible.

I sound like a total pretentious dickhead now, but I'm being honest.
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 500x500
>>63844039
My feelings about his album exactly. My first impression was "what is with this high pitched ringing and why is it considered music" but I came to appreciate it after a while.
>>
Sunbather. Maybe it's because I didn't know any black metal when I listened to it first time.
>>
like 1/4 of the glow is good
>>
File: image.jpg (200 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
200 KB, 960x1280
Music :D
>>
>>63844200
>north face
>>
File: pom pom.jpg (74 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
pom pom.jpg
74 KB, 620x620
I wanted to hate this thing. Thought it was average indie trash. I thought it was only good for a few listens until I got tired of it then I heard it recently and fell in love. It still holds up very well. Might be contender for AOTD. Got me listening and loving Ariel Pink again. I respect him more now.
>>
>>63844155
That was me, too. I still don't listen to much metal, especially metal as heavy as Deafheaven, but there's something about this album that always has me coming back to it. I love the cuts into beautiful soft moments, and think it's balanced perfectly with the aggression, and just the idea of a black metal shoegaze record blows my noodle.
>>
>>63844230
After 4 listens I still have an extremely difficult time with this album. But I also have difficulty getting into Zappa and Bowie, so is there no hope for me? :( I really want to like this thing. I really do.
>>
>>63844315
Don't keep repeating and going back with all three of the artists. In Ariel's case you need to listen to his early shit like Sacred Famous/FF back when it was really brown and lo-fi to truly "get it"
>>
>>63844315
Try Before Today if you haven't heard it yet
>>
>>63844170
It's 9/10 from I Want Wind to Blow to My Warm Blood imo
>>
I thought MBDTF was sooooo bad but after listening months later I realized its genius and I praise it every day. I'm gonna write a ten page essay on it for my literature teacher too
>>
>>63844574
The only thing I still think is awful about MBDTF is the drawn out, obnoxious ending to "Runaway"

And "Hell of a Life" is mediocre too.

Other than that it's fucking golden.
>>
i thought the love for ITAOTS on /mu/ was a joke for a long time. I didn't love it until like 5 years after the first time i heard it.
>>
>>63844681
Lol that was my cousin, I always loved it. He also hated old school Modest Mouse up until a year ago.
>>
>>63844655
The ending of Runaway is the best moment on the album, mate. Get your ears checked
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 432x562) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 432x562
>>63844215
you're point?
>>
>>63844728
>ralph lauren
>>
>>63844716
You're trolling, right? It sounds like if Arnold Schwarzenegger tried singing in auto tune while being melted at the end of Terminator 2.

If you're not trolling, explain.
>>
>>63844728
>my name's anon, I'm in my mid 20's and I drink too much
>>
Not an album, but Sunn O))) in general. I never understood them but then one day it just clicked and I loved them.
>>
>>63845010
I'm not the anon that posted that, but I'm the OP and I drink a lot of liquor and I'm in my mid 20s so this triggers me

#triggered
>>
>>63845086
It's okay bro, we drink so our demons have a swimming pool.
>>
>>63845113
I'm on felony probation and can't smoke weed but it's easy to pass tests w/ alcohol so I drink a shit ton instead.

Wow this got too deep. ITT: OP gets way too personal about his life.

But you guys are seriously my anonymous friends. /mu/ may be full of pretentious assholes, but at least you guys aren't /b/ and we can have a decent discussion most or the time lol

Also to contribute to my thread, this is another album that took a lot to understand why it's good (even tho I still think it's overrated)
>>
>>63845210
Start running every day dude. I swear it will help. That "I need a drink" anxiety can be burned out by exercise. It's no joke
>>
>>63845239
I am overweight, and it's a result of my stress. I had a good streak of going to the gym. Honestly, I'd prefer to ride a bike. But I thank you for this recommendation!
>>
>>63845277
He probably meant by 'start running' just to start exercise. Running is the easiest one, literally anyone can go running as long as they have shoes which.. if you're on 4chan, you have shoes.
>>
>>63845393
When did my thread become helping me overcome my demons? I really appreciate it though, you guys are fucking awesome, and music saves my life. Not in some cringy emo way, but it's such a beautiful artistic expression of different ideas and emotions, and you guys help me find more, so that I don't cling to other bad habits. I will start, anon.
>>
Never happened.

I kind of have good instincts and can tell if I'll like an album right away.
>>
File: XXX_Danny_Brown.jpg (9 KB, 316x316) Image search: [Google]
XXX_Danny_Brown.jpg
9 KB, 316x316
thought it was unbearable first listen, now its on my personal top 10
>>
>>63845538
Really? I mean I love it, but I think I may prefer "Old" more.

Speaking of, when is this nigga gon' come out with another album? Shiet.
>>
OP here.

Not gonna lie, and although not entirely relevent to my original post, can anyone tell me why this is absolutely phenomenal? I feel like the only person to ever live and hear this album more than 5 times and continually think "it's just some kinda cool noises I guess"

What am I doing wrong??
>>
>>63845430
Sometimes the /mu/niverse gives you exactly what you needed. Other times somebody calls you a faggot and tells you to kill yourself.
>>
>>63846039
I'm gonna need more information. What, exactly?
>>
I didn't like ATAOTS and after forcing myself to listen to it to "get it" I ended up liking it up until the point where I realized how shitty it truly was.
That album is poetic.
>>
>>63844102
Listened it to the first time while really high on weed cookies and playing reign of kings on steam.

Of of the most amazing experiences of my life.
Theres something about being really stoned for six hours running around a beautiful medieval island listening to penny dreadfuls and chocolate girl.
>>
File: Perfect_hair_album_cover.jpg (23 KB, 316x316) Image search: [Google]
Perfect_hair_album_cover.jpg
23 KB, 316x316
>>63846173
Listening to some things stoned really changes things. This pic is relevant.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.