[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I feel so ignorant when i come to /mu/ and realize my shit taste.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 216x233) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 216x233
I feel so ignorant when i come to /mu/ and realize my shit taste. I have like two or three favourite bands/artists that i listen to, but nothing else. How can i improve my taste ?
>>
Who are those artists?
>>
>>63809298
use lastfm and listen to recommended artists, also read about the history and influences of the genres you like and listen to the related bands that you don't know
>>
Listen to some essential albums to start exploring new genres. There's nothing wrong with liking shit bands as only as you have explored more music and don't just listen to the same 3 artists thinking they're the best without ever hearing anything else
>>
>>63809579
This.

Just find what you like. Find out why you like it. As long as you have your own opinions on music, you don't have shit taste.
>>
>>63809298
Go on Spotify, go to an artist you like, click on related artists to discover more stuff you like
>>
Listen to Viper
He'll die in a few days and you'll be real cool because you were enjoying his music before died and became a sensation
>>
start off with some dadrock like The Beatles and Led Zeppelin
>>
>>63810239
and then move on to Pink Floyd and Radiohead, to name you some essential bands
>>
>>63809519
I'm mostly listening to these 3 :

1. Pixies
2. Nirvana
3. David Bowie

I have the complete list of all the music from these 3. But i also listen to RHCP, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones

Thanks for the advices guys
>>
File: folder.jpg (247 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
247 KB, 600x600
Give this post-country masterpiece a listen
>>
>>63810420
Ok man ! That's what i need btw, suggestions. That's how i discovered the Pixies on /mu/

I'm into Rock, Alt Rock, i don't really know how to classify the genres
>>
>>63809298

Basically, just pick out some albums on the /mu/ core chart and expand from there
>>
File: morph.jpg (69 KB, 700x708) Image search: [Google]
morph.jpg
69 KB, 700x708
>>63810404
Ew
give pic related a try
>>
>>63810772
Ok ! Thanks

Oh and i didn't really like Jason Aldean, not really into country
>>
>>63810469
>>63810404
Don't bother thinking that you need to know all the most obscure artists, or that you need to listen to incredibly niche genres. Start from what you know you like and expand outwards. The danger of coming to /mu/ first is that you either get bogged down by shit you don't really understand, or you let this board define what you listen to too much.

Based on Pixies/Nirvana/Bowie, you'd probably like:

>R.E.M.
>The Smiths
>Radiohead
>Smashing Pumpkins
>>
>>63810988
You're right man, i tried to listen to Swans the other day, and it didn't go well lol. I'll check those out. I mean, i know them but i never got the occasion of listening to them, i will now.
>>
>>63811225
Revisit the more experimental stuff later on when you've broadened your palette more. I remember listening to Swans when I was 16 and not getting it, but I went back a couple years later and loved it.
>>
>>63810404
You already have good taste

Try The Clash, specifically London Calling
>>
if you like alt rock like pixies/nirvana you might like the replacements, husker du, dinosaur jr, or other stuff like that

i would also second
>>63811374
it's good to revisit stuff once you've broadened your taste
>>
>>63811383
Ok man thank you i'll check them out.
>>
Listen to The Bends, Ok Computer & Kid A by Radiohead
>>
>>63811556
Yeah maybe i'm not " prepared " enough to try the experimental stuff. Thanks for the advices.
>>
>>63810404
What's the point of listening to Beatles? Isn;t it complete trash?
>>
listen2name
tasty beats i've produced
https://soundcloud.com/name_music/phasemurder
https://soundcloud.com/name_music/gored-doors
>>
>>63809298
Consider Arcade Fire, start with Reflektor
>>
>>63811736
Ok i wrote down all the suggestions from you guys and i'll check em out later.

Thanks a lot guys, you rock !

I didn't expect such a good feedback thank you so much !
>>
>>63811993
Try Dinosaue Jr. too
>>
>>63811993
/mu/ isn't what it used to be. Don't take advice. You have better luck just listening to top albums from RYM.
>>
>>63812012
Ok !
>>
>>63812026
>You have better luck just listening to top albums from RYM.

disgusting
>>
>>63811493
Most of mu is 18 year old introverted white boys
>>
By the way have you guys listened to Indie Cindy yet ? How was it ? I really enjoyed it especially Greens and Blues, Snakes, and Indie Cindy.

But why does it seems like no one even wanted this album ? Shouldn't it be loved after a 23 years break ?
>>
>>63811903
No, it's not. And by the way your post looks it seems like you have never listened to them and you're just listening to /mu/ and not forming your own opinions.
>>
>>63809298
>implying /mu has good taste

Bro all people in this forum listen to is Kanye West, synth, and shit tier underground bands. Wtf do you mean by "mu has good taste"? Just listen to what you like. But spoiler alert: 60's-90's rock is the patrician's choice.
>>
>>63809298
This may be frowned upon but here's how I started.
>Find albums you like.
>Look them up on Rate Your Music
>find what genres they are
>Show the top charts for that genre
>explore related genres

Also Bancamp and Souncloud threads on here are nice.
>>
File: mu core chart.jpg (4 MB, 1781x4325) Image search: [Google]
mu core chart.jpg
4 MB, 1781x4325
>>63809298
Lurk more.
>>
>>63810838
it's because jason aldean is meme, it ain't good, no ones like it here
>>
>>63809298
Try Weezer first 2 album
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.