[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You don't genuinely like this album, you force yourself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: tmr.jpg (2 MB, 1408x1433) Image search: [Google]
tmr.jpg
2 MB, 1408x1433
You don't genuinely like this album, you force yourself to like it because you subscribe to a narrative that rates it so highly. Appreciating this album is literally the Stockholm syndrome of music.
>>
>>63804840
I actually enjoy quite a lot.
>>
I've tried really hard to like it, but nope I just can't
>>
I enjoyed this thoroughly on first listen, honestly.
Where did this meme saying it's so difficult come from? It still has definitive structure and melodies; I don't see the big deal.
>>
2deep4u pleb
>>
>>63804899
Nobody likes TMR on the first listen
>>
>>63804840
Honestly I just enjoy it for entertainment purposes.

Beefheart's over the top vocals just make me laugh hysterically.
>>
You just don't get it, OP. I can't imagine having such pedestrian taste.
>>
>>63804927
I did. Not that I "get" it at all but it has lots of fun moments.
I don't think it's nearly as bad on first listen as some other avant-garde stuff or pretty much any harsh noise
>>
>>63804840

I legitimately enjoy it and have enjoyed it at first listen. Some of the songs are actually catchy as fuck, especially Frownland, Dachau Blues and Moonlight On Vermont. It's not as weird as people say, I mean it's heavily influenced by blues and free jazz so if you have knowledge of those genres you will appreciate it a lot more.
>>
i mean, define "enjoy"
>>
Actually, I enjoy this album, and unironically as well. I've been listening to Captain Beefheart since I was 14.
>>
Its funny that ever since Reddit took this place over, this album has replaced ITAoTS as babbies first entry level hipster garbage.
>>
Added to my filter, fuck off with these "you only force yourself to like this" threads, it's not some dadaism art project you underage fuck.
>>
>>63804927
The why the fuck did you listened to it again?
>>
>>63806851
*then
>>
/mu/ is a place for egotistical pretentious hipsters to gather around and throw around memes of Beefheart's "Trout Mask Replica" album cover and pretend that they don't love the "plebian" music that once used to be "so undergroud" or "so lo-fi" or "so raw".

That's the fucking problem with this place. It attempts to classify ever single possible genre in which a band or piece of music could be classified into, then proceeds to create stigmas based on these types of music.

Now I'm not one to say that I enjoy mainstream music either. It's contrived and mindless and should not be considered art by any means, but this shit's gotten fucking ridiculous, /mu/.

While all of you fawn over the "underground" culture that has been constructed by the interwebs, what you're really doing is taking all the music that is held so hallowed and "primo" and perpetuating it into an endless cycle.

1). The music (let's say Death Grips for example) is taken and perpetuated on /mu/ for being "raw" and "innovative" and "engaging".

2) Then pretentious hipster fucks like Anthony Fantano (that knows absolutely nothing about musical composition or what it means to be a musician) make a video review of the music; Thereby either upholding it as musical "genius" or shit.

3). The cyclical hipster wheel then comes full circle back to /mu/ where it is shared further and fawned over some more.

Eventually, the music you once fawned over becomes popular because of the permeating nature of online media, and what do you do? You stop listening to it because it becomes part of "the mainstream".

Essentially, fuck you /mu/. You're a paradoxical message board that defeats itself with every post.
>>
File: simple-computer-tips.jpg (30 KB, 728x488) Image search: [Google]
simple-computer-tips.jpg
30 KB, 728x488
>>63804840
>Scrolling on /mu/
>"THAT thread once again"
>>
File: 1312291457832.jpg (15 KB, 367x388) Image search: [Google]
1312291457832.jpg
15 KB, 367x388
>>63806851
>did listened
>>
>>63806967
Good assessment anon. I appreciate your thoroughness but you could have just came out the gate calling them out for being insecure high schoolers. Everything you said is the behavior of insufferable, mini hipster tadpoles with incredible levels of insecurity.
>>
>>63806967
Oh and of course as your correctly gauged, they don't know shit about music and neither does Fantano.
>>
i dont get you
even if you were to successfully prove i "forced" myself to like it, in the end that still means i genuinely like it, even if i may not have initially
>>
>>63804840
unfortunately i just started an analord session and one does not simply interrupt analord, so i got music for the next 3 and an half hours :D

but yeah, already looking forward to this album!
>>
>>63805751

This. The album is wild and crazy as hell but its not incomprehensible.
>>
>>63807549
The point is that the only reason you like it is that someone else told you to and made you feel insecure for not liking it until you forced yourself to like it. People genuinely percieve somethign differently if someone they consider an authority tells them what they're looking at or listening to. You're basically a 4chan memeslave.
>>
>>63807549
There would be nothing wrong with being said 4chan memeslave I guess, until you start telling people that they're inferior or stupid for "not getting it". Therefore, you continue a chain of insecure faggots on 4chan forcing eachother to like an album that really any decent musicians could make if they just decided to play tracks individually and not have them sound good together.

It really was the thing that made me realize this board is completely full of shit.
>>
>>63804927
Why wouldn't they? It's really not that out there.
>>
>>63804840
There's some bangers on this
>>
>>63808106
Ella Guru is a big time banger, son
>>
>>63806541
whats funny about that album is how its more sexual than any rap album i have heard so far
>>
>>63806570
it literally is
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.