[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is literally the best album ever made.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7
File: Velvet_Underground_and_Nico.jpg (9 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Velvet_Underground_and_Nico.jpg
9 KB, 350x350
I mean come on:
>invented rock music (as in first intelligent rock music not rock & roll crap)
>invented "art" rock
>invented avant-garde rock
>Invented experimental rock
>invented punk music
>invented dream pop
>invented shoegaze
>invented noise pop
>invented noise rock
>invented post-rock
>>
Not sure if "best", but definitely one of the most innovative and influential albums of all time.
>>
>>63799693
Made by mentally ill faggots and heroin addicts. It literally is the perfect album for the libtard scum that visit this board.
>>
>>63799758
Enjoy your cutting edge right wing music fag. Sure is a lot of it XD
>>
>>63799693
its boring
>>
>>63799765
I'm right though. This album only appears to libtard faggot hipster scum. Who loves the sun is the only good VU song. The rest is a bunch of trans,faggot,dyke,heroin, libtard shit.
>>
>>63799780
this

They experimented. Or rather, they applied a bunch of established forward thinking ideas to rock music. Like Warhol, their main concern was to make art with pop appeal, and turn pop concepts into art. So it's super conceptually based, rooted in a pretty cynical concept at that that looks down on pop and trashes art, and is kind of lifeless as a result.
>>
I don't like it, but it's incredibly innovative.
>>
>>63799794
Jesus, who shit in your cereal today, man?
>>
>>63799758
>>63799794
>being this /pol/b8
>>
right wing scum are fucking insufferable
>>
File: 1459649426916.jpg (39 KB, 590x590) Image search: [Google]
1459649426916.jpg
39 KB, 590x590
>>63799794
>when the buzzwords so good
>>
>>63799758
>>63799794
>not knowing that Mo Tucker is full tea-party
>not knowing that Nico was a total Nazi with a serious smack habit
seriously just go the fuck back to your containment board
>>
File: White+LightWhite+Heat.png (329 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
White+LightWhite+Heat.png
329 KB, 500x500
>>63799693
this is better though
>>
File: 1402227989599.png (386 KB, 667x670) Image search: [Google]
1402227989599.png
386 KB, 667x670
>invented "art" rock
>invented punk music
>invented dream pop
>invented shoegaze
>invented noise pop
>invented noise rock
>invented post-rock
>>
>>63800084
>The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.
>>
>>63800094
Scaruffi would say that Bob Dylan did that.
>>
>velvet underground
>good

Pick one
>>
wtf, is this the only album of the 60s you have listened to or what? because that's how ignorant you sound.

no. rock & roll is not crap and not generally less "intelligent" than this album by any reasonable standard. The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Yardbirds, to name a few, were all more important for the development of modern rock music.
>invented "art" rock
which is an awful concept.
no. probably Frank Zappa did.
see above, as the two are synonymous.
>invented punk music
no, there are dozens of garage rock albums released earlier that are more punkish.
>invented dream pop
>invented shoegaze
>invented noise pop
>invented noise rock
>invented post-rock
i am willing to admit all of these genres probably have been influenced by the album to a noteworthy extent, but it is quite a stretch to say it "invented" them.
>>
>>63800148
>>invented avant-garde rock
>no. probably Frank Zappa did.

Senpai
>>
File: IMG_20160129_165734.jpg (28 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160129_165734.jpg
28 KB, 321x322
>>63799794
Wow, what a faggot
>>
>>63800047
pretty much. makes coming this site a chore a lot of the time
>>
>>63800206
>_ ____ __ ____ ____ ______.
>>
>>63799794
you are an uncultured reactionary homophobic /pol/tard incapable of understanding what your ears are hearing
>>
>>63799693
>>invented avant-garde rock
>>Invented experimental
I think you forgot about the Beatles tomorrow never knows
>>
>>63799814
It's cynical to make popular things art? stop posting please
>>
>>63800272
>reactionary
>homophobic
>/pol/tard

not seeing the problem here desu senpai
>>
>>63799693

How about Jimi Hendrix and Cream?
>>
>>63800094
>Starting with the primitive exuberance of You Never Give Me Your Money (a mini rock opera worthy of early Zappa) and Mean Mr Mustard, the suite comes in thick and fast with Polytheme Pam and She Came In Thru The Bathroom Window, and dies melancholically with yet another goliardic chorus, Carry That Weight (that reprises the motifs of Money and I Want You). It is the apotheosis of the belated music hall entertainer in Paul McCartney. And it is, above all, a masterpiece of production, of sound, of sonic puzzles.
>>
File: pee.jpg (72 KB, 669x1032) Image search: [Google]
pee.jpg
72 KB, 669x1032
>>63799794
>>63800272
>buzzwords, huh?
>I know! I'll respond with more buzzwords!
>>
>>63799794
you okay friend?
>>
>>63800374
so edgy XD
>>
>>63799794
jesus christ
>>
pet sounds is the better 60s album
>>
>>63800280
This is such bullshit.

>>63800403
VU were already making music a long while before their album came out, at first under different names. VU is fucking legendary and shits on every album surrounding it in terms of revolutionary-ness due to their (combination of) message AND music. Incredible band.
>>
>>63800856
care to elaborate on the "message" aspect?
>>
>invented "art" rock
>invented noise rock
>invented post-rock
All of those and more were done by Frank Zappa on Freak Out, one year before TVU

>invented punk music
The Kinks did it on 64
>invented dream pop
Arguably Beatles did it first with I'm Only Sleeping
>>
>>63801018
The VU rejected any existing discourse and created one of their own, one based on hyperrealism. True, it's not a single message, advocating for love, freedom, soft drugs, etc. for which the counterculture fought (though the accepted problematic between dominant and counterculture reproduced both discourses). Instead, it's filled with miseries, uncertainties, and contradictions, and much more explicit. They weren't praising life nor were they idealists. That way they transcended any existing discourse while being able to criticise society and provide unfamiliar perspectives on the world. They not only did this in virtue of their lyrics, but also in combination with their music (e.g. Herion, Lady Godiva, etc.). The band is nearly inconceivable.
>>
>>63799693
noisemaking is not inherently valuable
>>
If you're gonna claim that someone invented rock (as opposed to rock and roll) it would be Dylan with the electric 3.
>>
>>63800856
Explain what's "bullshit"
>>
>>63799693
And it wouldn't have happened if it weren't for Cale.

Lou Reed was a talentless hack.
>>
This is funny, because when I listened to it I thought the exact opposite - that it created edgy libscum WERE ON DRUGS 2pretentious5deep3u music that we hear all the fucking time now. Like goddamn music has to take itself less seriously. This album really was the end of a better era in music.

I still like this album and think it's great though.
>>
i still don't understand this meme
i mean, how can a banana be the best album ever?
>>
>>63802881
opinion induced falsehood
>>
File: Lou 'One Man Klan' Reed.jpg (13 KB, 182x198) Image search: [Google]
Lou 'One Man Klan' Reed.jpg
13 KB, 182x198
>>63799758
>>63799794

>Specifically referring to late singer-songwriter Summer, he once told a reporter, 'I don't like niggers'

>He also called Bob Dylan a 'pretentious kike'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3270363/Lou-Reed-woman-beating-monster-called-Donna-Summer-n-r-Bob-Dylan-anti-Semitic-slur.html
>>
>>63799693
how is this at all shoegaze or dream pop
>>
>>63799693
>invented [insert edgy pretentious genre here]

Yeah, it did all right.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.