[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/Mu/sic Theory
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: theory.png (35 KB, 1301x450) Image search: [Google]
theory.png
35 KB, 1301x450
Does anybody here know theory

I'm doing some homework that's fucking with my head hardcore
>>
I'm a conservatory student

What do you need help with
>>
File: 20160403_230412.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160403_230412.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
>>63794571
Oh thank you so much

I'm doing some RNA and there is a D9 chord right before a Dm7, key is C major. We're doing modal mixture and have been over secondary chords, and for the life of me I cannot figure out how it's fucntioning. It cannot be a I/ii can it? That wouldn't make any sense!

Pic related.
>>
diatonic deceptive cadence? do you have rehearsal rooms as well you spongy git?
>>
>>63795077
That's not the end of the piece nor is it a resting place, and even if it were that would be a half cadence.

I'm talking specifically about that chord. Notice it's also preceded by an F major chord (a IV), but before that there is an Em7 chord (which might be a iii but that's highly debatable, I honestly don't know what it is).
>>
>>63795252
>half cadence.

not a simple as opposed to compound cadence?

are you going on a school trip to see the show? with sandwiches?
>>
>>63794681
Wouldn't you just play C lydian over the D9? At the end of the day, it works cause it sounds dope.
>>
I don't understand learning all these fancies words when u can just fucking do it on a keyboard...

I am also jealous
>>
>>63794681
You're thinking about it too much. Not every chord has to function according to rules. It's literally a D9 moving to a Dm7 then an Fm6. Nothing else to it, no dominant function.
>>
>>63794681
Looks to me like its easier to think of it as a D9 into a G (V of V) with Dm7 and Fm6 as "passing chords"
>>
>>63795896
I don't even know any music theory and I find this thread hilarious
>>
>>63797505
I don't really see the point when it's much more reasonable to understand music on a physical level instead of an abstracted, traditional level.

It's all just wave functions, innit?
>>
>>63797505
yes, but
SANDWICHES
>>
>>63798034
im waving my peenor at you
but mostly as a passing cadence anticipating an oral reciprocal contrapuntal climax
>>
>>63798103
k senpai.
>>
>>63795896
>>63797505
>>63798034
Probably helps in writing music. Especially in orchestra.
Anyone who is super solid at theory know a place to start?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.