[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What musician from the 2000s is recognized as legendary? I mean
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8
File: kurt_cobain.jpg (794 KB, 2000x1339) Image search: [Google]
kurt_cobain.jpg
794 KB, 2000x1339
What musician from the 2000s is recognized as legendary? I mean legendary as in famous, critically loved and something people will look back as something that defined that decade? Kind of in the same way Kurt Cobain was seen as a legendary musician from the 90s.
>>
>>63790249
Kanye unfortunately.
>>
File: 3423.png (37 KB, 219x185) Image search: [Google]
3423.png
37 KB, 219x185
>>63790249
>>
>>63790249
kendrick lamar
>>
>>63790340
00s not 10s...
>>
probably a bunch of "indie" artists like
Arcade fire
Sufjan Stevens
Joanna Newsom
The strokes
White stripes
Maybe also LCD soundsystem, daft punk, Kanye
To be clear: these aren't my favorites but they're probably going to be viewed as the defining artists of the decade
>>
There will literally be no musician as legendary as Kurt Cobain but some there will be some that have come close
>>
T.I, Jay-Z, Lil Jon had a huge effect on hip hop all of G-Unit and Eminem of course.
>>
>>63790510
Scratch all of G Unit, but 50 cent absolutely.
>>
Amy Winehouse
>>
>>63790268
>unfortunately
>implying
>>
jesse lacey from brand new is no where near as big but is still treated like a god by every dipshit i went to high school with/beyond. the man can do no wrong to a lot of people. to be fair i think brand new is pretty cool but i don't get it.

i kinda think now everyone has their specific, personal idols and it just depends on who you ask whereas twenty years ago the label system was feeding us a person to worship and adore. idk though i'm a retard so who the fuck really knows
>>
kanye
kendrick
foo fighyers
>>
Dave Grohl. you know its' true.
>>
Thom Yorke
>>
Eminem
>>
amy winehouse
>>
>>63790268
This, especially if he kills himself
>>
The 2000s are objectively the worst decade for music. I mean, how many critically acclaimed buzz artists from the 2000s do we still talk about? Arcade Fire and maybe Sufjan Stevens? Most people would associate Radiohead more with the 90s.

Nobody talks about Broken Social Scene, TV on the Radio, Wolf Parade, The Rapture, Hot Chip, or Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah anymore. Even the couple of artists that started picking up steam late in the decade and early into the 10s (Deerhunter, Fleet Foxes, Dirty Projectors, Bon Iver, Passion Pit etc.) have completely faded into irrelevancy.

Every decade had it's fair share of artists that continued to be remembered fondly, discussed, acclaimed, and listened to in later years, with the exception of the 2000s.
>>
>>63790510
wouldn't say Lil Jon and Eminem are "critically loved" as OP asked
>>
>>63790249
Jack White?
>>
>>63791638
The Slim Shady LP and The Marshall Mathers LP are definitely critically acclaimed.
>>
File: over-and-under.jpg (15 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
over-and-under.jpg
15 KB, 300x200
>>63790249
>tfw you'll never see Kurt diving into Dave's drum set with your own eyes

Why even live
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-12-13-01-33.png (536 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-12-13-01-33.png
536 KB, 720x1280
Sad how hip-hops the current mainstream genre of the generation.

To me, it feels like the overall quality of musics dropped with hip-hop becoming mainstream.
>>
>>63791814
tfw you'll never see Elvis juggling his legs
>>
>>63790249
Justin Timberlake
Pharrell
Kanye
Beyonce
Amy Winehouse
>>
Tosin Abasi, Devin Townsend maybe.
>>
>>63791751
no point anymore
>>
>>63791417
Honestly this is the most accurate answer ITT.
>>
>>63791417
This is the correct answer. He had enough acclaim during that time and was the best-selling artist of the decade.
>>
daft punk
radiohead
>>
>>63793705
have to agree with this, it's kind of defining of that decade.
>>
I don't think we've been alive long enough to consider Kurt Cobain "legendary"
>>
File: file.jpg (39 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
39 KB, 600x450
>>63791814
>overall quality of music
>too lazy to look up anything outside of mainstream
Radio is for money, not music my friend :^)
>>
>>63790383
Maybe legendary to p4k music type people (specifically those that value rock) but this wouldn't be the consensus of any typical people
>>63790268
a good possibility of this
>>63794685
In the mind of a child from right now, he's an icon.
>>
>>63792852
I can see Devin becoming a cult. I have a friend who loves him. If Townsend were just a little higher profile, it might happen.
>>
>>63791487
he's way to arrogant to commit suicide, but i would like that, people would brag on about him for a few month, and then i wouldn't have to see his smug face everywhere
>>
ITT: Things plebs care about

No one will be listening to Kanye West in 2030.

All meme rap ages like fucking milk.
>>
>>63790249
Jack White
>>
>>63791638
>eminem
>not critically loved

You're kidding, right?
>>
Ariel Pink is by far the single most important, influential and original artist of his time, and in time this will become evident. The only other songwriter working now I would dare call genius is probably Joanna Newsom, though for completely different reasons.
>>
>>63790249

Radiohead obviously
>>
>>63790578
Brand New are one of my favourite bands but Jesse comes across as a huge asshole. He makes great music and is a great lyricist, but as an actual guy I've never seen somebody not in the rap genre that seemed so pretentious.

also Dave Grohl definitely will be viewed as a god of the 00s even though he started off in the 90s

Adele will be as well
>>
>>63797535
wat
>>
>>63790249
justin timberlake?
>>
>>63791814
Yes because fucking grunge was so much better.
Mainstream music will always suck, if post-rock went mainstream you would have shitty musicians making tons of terrible albums and you would be complaining about that. Suck a dick.
>>
>>63790383
You wanna see the difference between a successful rock act and a music icon, look at the youtube views:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWKbfoikeg&ab_channel=NirvanaVEVO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J2QdDbelmY&ab_channel=XLRecordings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E0fVfectDo&ab_channel=ArcadeFireVEVO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8-tXG8KrWs&ab_channel=thestrokesVEVO
They're massive but they're not near as popular.

Kanye and Daft Punk are good choices tho.
>>
>>63790249
probs rihanna and beyonce
>>
>>63794685

He's definitely acquired icon status by this point.
>>
No one cares about hip-hop outside murrica

Responding to OPs question, Jack White might be the closest
>>
>>63800641
if no one cares about hip hop outside murrica then certainly no one gives the slighest fuck about Jack White
>>
Kurt Cobain is just a poor mans Sid Vicious
>>
>>63800124
>Yes because fucking grunge was so much better.

Nirvana was a great band but spawned hundreds of clone bands that produced boring, formulaic grunge well into the 2000s.

Equally, hip hop is sometimes great, but riddled with many artists producing boring, formulaic rap music even today.

Problem is that in the 2010s, there are few hip hop artists that stand tall above the rest like Nirvana did above their imitators. Kendrick Lamar maybe, but he doesn't have the same cultural impact. Kanye could have had that title because he has the "madness" factor to be a legendary musician, but he's spent too many years being self-indulgent and making subpar music.
>>
>>63790249
>who is Dave Grohl
>>
>>63800777
Dave Grohl lacks the critical acclaim. And most people on the street wouldn't recognise him, at least not to the same extent as Kurt Cobain.

Most of Grohl's music sounds the same. Kurt changed Nirvana's sound with each album, and his most interesting music probably would have been made if he survived post-1994.
>>
>>63790249
Green Day for the first half of the early 2000's. Hearing them all over the place and seeing them in the Simpson's movie and then hearing their music in all other TV commercials kind of gave me the idea. Because of them a lot of kids thought Punk was a new cool thing. I remember when Dookie exploded Green Day into popularity in 94 and then 10 fucking years later it happens again only American Idiot got old really fucking fast.
>>
File: Josh-Homme.jpg (160 KB, 940x626) Image search: [Google]
Josh-Homme.jpg
160 KB, 940x626
>>
>>63790704
This
Surprised no one else really mentioned him because it seems a bit obvious desu
>>
>>63801068
this guy sucks and killed many people, lucky he's not dead
>>
Soulja Boy & Lil B
>>
>>63800672
(You)
>>
Kanye, the white stripes, and the strokes?
>>
>>63790249
muse
kanye west
eminem
white stripes
foo fighters
modest mouse
>>
>>63797123
This.
>>
>>63790249
kanye
>>
File: 1455194536777.jpg (7 KB, 231x218) Image search: [Google]
1455194536777.jpg
7 KB, 231x218
>>63801165
>>
>>63801165
?
>>
>>63791552
Because you're talking about really generic indie pop, of course nobody cares about any of those bands anymore. I can guarantee people will still listen to The White Stripes, The Strokes, Arcade Fire, etc... for decades to come
>>
Why does it even matter? We're no longer living in the age of LEGENDARY and CLASSIC and WORLDWIDE TOURING WHATEVER and I see this as a good thing.

Stop worshipping people.
>>
>>63791552
I still love the Dirty Projectors though. I think they fell into some mild irrelavance just because it's been 4 years since their last album and they're not saying or doing shit on the media like Kanye does.
Bitte Orca is still my favourite album of the 00's.
>>
>>63790249
hard question, haven't heard anything good from the main stream since 90s desu.
lot's of crappy corporate music without soul and occasional one hit wonder, that's how I would describe 2000s.
but I kinda agree on eminem even though I dislike rap he is good and unique.
and I don't think any non mainstream band will ever get real recognition so no point in pointing them out.
>>
it's Thom Yorke
>>
>>63802972
>even though I dislike rap he is good and unique.
Ooooh finally I get it
>>
this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1yKWrnAcn8&list=PL9GBIyMKOsKYcJsz-FocnRwFZc51WeV_f
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.