[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/psy/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (252 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
252 KB, 600x600
What makes psychedelic music... psychedelic?
>>
>>63776722
DUDE
>>
>>63776722
reverbs and fuzzy guitars.
>>
>>63776764
A lot of psy-pop has none of those, and really clean guitars. Also, wouldn't shoegaze be psy then?
>>
The music emulates and/or is inspired by psychedelics
>>
textures
>>
>>63777311
well, psy music today can be defined as a specific sound, a sound that's not dictated by what it's originally inspired by. I can play you a song and you can tell me if it's a psy song or not, because you recognize psy sounds. it's just hard to put your finger on what it actually is.
>>63777322
there are tons of music with great textures that isn't psy. maybe odd textures could be an important factor.
>>
>>63776764
this has no guitar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaHEusBG20c
>>
>>63776722
I don't what exactly makes it the way it is, but please listen to this: https://youtu.be/Z8c-Nl_r9Zs.
>>
>>63777505
I'm just getting a taste, but this sounds before it's time. honestly, this sounds more like a 1976 release. the singing, the kraut-influence. can't wait to listen to this in full. thanks anon!
>>
Depends on the genre. Psytrance is trance with tropes from psytrance scene and colorful fractal album art. Psychedelic rock is rock with tropes from psychedelic rock scene and colourful painted album art

It's pure pedantry to argue about the definition of psychedelic music in reference to psychedelia. A psychedelic experience can be expressed through a psychedelic song, an ethereal track, a mundane operette or whatever.
>>
>>63777560
>tropes
so, you mean there are just specific sounds that have happened to be associated with psy, and now that's what we define as psy. that makes sense, but what are those sounds?
>>
>>63777287
I would consider shoe gaze psychedelic
>>
>>63777677
The definitions of psychedelia itself vary alot so in that way I do feel it makes sense. The tropes I mean stem from both common conceptions and simply the subcultures that associate with psychedelia. I think it works like this in any art.

Them sounds could be:
- Fuzz pedal
- Reverbs and delays
- Syncopated "groovy" rhythms
- Hallucinatory textures like those created by flangers, vibrato, tremolo and phasers
- Dreamlike fake things like mellotron and manipulated samples
- Elements borrowed from tribal and earthlike music like indigeous music and folk

Distinctions to stuff like hypnagogia, ethereality, delirium, dissociation, divinity and such can be also made, but theres alot of overlap in what kind of associations we have about this kind of abstract to the max stuff.
>>
>>63777918
...but not all shoegaze is psychedelic desu
>>
>>63776722
from what I've seen a lot of psychedelic music has these elements.
>long form song structure
>focus on repetitive building melodies
>mid to slow tempo
>focus on instrumental timbre
>dreamy atmosphere created by various effects and sampled sounds
>steady rhythm
but these elements are subject to change. mostly psychedelic music is defined culturally, for example many shoegaze bands have a number of these elements but people don't usually talk about shoegaze being specifically psychedelic even if many people like to listen to shoegaze while doing psychedelics.
>>
This music makes much more sense to me after I tried hallucinogens. Especially the visual side. I was surprised, I don't know what I expected...
>>
>>63777998
Sounds about right.
>>
>>63777555
If you like this album, definitely take a listen to: https://youtu.be/t8paf-yy5Bo. It doesn't get much better than this. I'm glad I could help you discover a new band.
>>
>TFW moon Duo and Night beats playing two small local venues in one month
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 220x220
How is this a 2.5 on R.Y.M?
>>
Who gives a shit? Can I not just enjoy some sweet tunes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnVT86eQlas
>>
>>63776722
>What makes psychedelic music... psychedelic?

Psychedelic music (sometimes psychedelia[1]) covers a range of popular music styles and genres influenced by psychedelic culture that attempted to replicate or enhance the psychedelic experiences of psychedelic drugs.
>>
>>63776722
kek, lol what a question!!!...... le drugz of course!!!!!!!!
>>
>>63781464
that's not really true in 2016. psy music has definite sound. i think >>63777998 basically nailed it, though.
>>
File: jpeg.jpg (396 KB, 1772x1775) Image search: [Google]
jpeg.jpg
396 KB, 1772x1775
>>63780924
It's good, even though I understand why. It's just too crazy - weird, even. You also need to truly know Sgt. Peppers inside and out before getting into it.

what does /mu/ think of pic related?
>>
>>63782029
>that's not really true in 2016.

A number of features are often included in psychedelic music. Exotic instrumentation, with a particular fondness for the sitar and tabla are common.[2] Songs often have more complex song structures, key and time signature changes, modal melodies and drones than contemporary pop music.[3] Surreal, whimsical, esoterically or literary-inspired, lyrics are often used.[4][5] There is often a strong emphasis on extended instrumental solos or jams, typically featuring a heavily distorted electric guitar as the main instrument.[3] Electric guitars are used to create feedback, and are played through wah wah and fuzzbox effect pedals.[6] There is a strong keyboard presence, in the 1960s this especially using electronic organs, harpsichords, or the Mellotron, an early tape-driven 'sampler' keyboard.[7] Elaborate studio effects are often used, such as backwards tapes, panning, phasing, long delay loops, and extreme reverb.[8] In the 1960s there was a use of primitive electronic instruments such as early synthesizers and the theremin.[9][10] Later forms of electronic psychedelia also employed repetitive computer-generated beats.[11]
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.