[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm falling in love with The Flaming Lips. They're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (280 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
280 KB, 1000x1000
I'm falling in love with The Flaming Lips. They're one of the best band I've heard post 1980. Why doesn't /mu/ like them more?
>>
They're extremely divisive. They've made some fantastic albums, but some of their stuff is just wacky for the sake of being wacky, psychedelic with no rhyme or reason.

A lot of people hate the singer's voice too.
>>
What? They're practically /mu/core

People just make fun of Coyne for his midlife crisis
>>
>>63764648
I couldn't get into Yoshimi or Soft Bulletin, what is it you like about them?
>>
>>63765007
Yeah, you see them around. But here I've been, posting classic psy-pop, baroque-pop and genreally maximalist music, and no one stopped me and was like "hey, flaming lips anon." I mean, guys, that's just bad form. Like, a total dick move, man.
>>
File: Clouds Taste Metallic.png (581 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Clouds Taste Metallic.png
581 KB, 600x600
This and Transmissions are my personal favorites by them. I like the noisier and more wacky vibes these two albums give off.
>>
Personally I feel like sometimes their material lacks focus or cohesion, but the textures in the music itself can make up for it.
>>
>>63764648
I imagine it has a lot to do with Coyne being a twat. /mu/ as a whole has a bad habit of judging artists based on their image and personalities rather than their music.
>>
>>63765166
>their material lacks focus or cohesion
Examples?
>>
They opened for tool
>>
>>63765098
It's basically a combo of everything I like. I love spacey music, but could never truly get into prog. I've always prefered pop structured tunes, they make more sense to me. I tend to love really maximalist music that's just filled with odd sounds, YHF is one of my all time favourite records - and fuck knows what goes on there. Baroque-pop and psy-pop have traditionally been my favourite genres because of this. Also, nice bass sounds is one of my favourite elements in music - this fits the bill perfectly. The Flaming Lips just make perfect sense to me.
>>
>>63765128
Ive been specifically recced the flaming lips before.. thats how I got into them

Maybe if you've been posting stuff that's fairly obscure, people wouldn't bother reccing you something as well-known as the flaming lips. Itd be like reccing NMH or Modest Mouse to someone looking for indie rock.
>>
>>63765258
This.
They're one of these bands that it's kinda just a given that most /mu/tants are at least aware of them.
>>
File: cover.jpg (33 KB, 400x393) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
33 KB, 400x393
feelings on this album
easily top 3 flaming lips album for me
>>
>>63765341
Yeah the soft bulletin, embryonic, and yoshimi often have a place on /mu/core charts as well
>>
>>63765398
>2punk4me
There are a few good moments but their sound hadn't developed into a place I liked by then.
Hell's Angel's Cracker Factory is a nice curiosity in their discog which I hope I never have the displeasure of listening to again.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.