[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many of you believe music can be described by words? Is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (117 KB, 725x609) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117 KB, 725x609
How many of you believe music can be described by words? Is it reasonable to expect a fan of a music type to properly explain why? Or is music art that is completely subjective and can be enjoyed for a variety of reasons some of which are completely inexplainable by words?

http://strawpoll.me/7262034
>>
File: image.jpg (92 KB, 580x773) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92 KB, 580x773
bump
>>
File: image.jpg (108 KB, 1024x710) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108 KB, 1024x710
Bumping this again. Does /mu/ really not care about this, but still make "poseurcore" threads? Nice. Sometimes I forget how hard this place tries no to discuss anything.
>>
I find this a very interesting question. I've asked myself that before. I think that music can not necessarily be explained in words, because music is so extremely versatile there are certainly musical elements that we just have no words for purely because there are so many. Also the qualia of a human derive from person to person so a person could because of no particular reason enjoy music that another doesn't.
>>
i guess ill reply
So when I first found /mu/ and started getting into music,I was in high school and pretentious, so I tried really hard to distinguish myself from everyone else who thought "music was their life" cause my whole thing was that I liked listening to music i may or may not like just to say why or why not I'm into it, cause i thought criticism was a way to keep you smart and also a way to convince myself that I was.

I still think one of the most important parts of being into music is being able to discuss it cause i think thinking about one's own thoughts or feelings allows their taste to grow and develop much quicker and i feel like i've lately fallen into this sort of rut where i download a ton of music and i can say what parts i think are cool and shit and why, but it's like i haven't been listening to music because it's my favorite shit or anything like that for a long time, more because a sort of want to understand it, and sometimes i think that's a little unhealthy..

yo i typed this out and forgot what the op was so im gonna post it
>>
>>63761468
I always kind of told myself that understanding why or why not you're into/not into certain music has a lot to do with just understanding yourself more than anything else.
>>
>>63761471
I identify with almost everything you wrote, man.

You talk about being able to discuss music as something important, and something that helps you grow musically. While I agree I find that that's mostly on a like/dislike level. You find which genres, and types of sounds you enjoy. This never delves into why you like it though, which is a whole other question completely. Also, describing why you like something by explaining that you like it's parts truly says nothing about the music - it only explains you.
>>
>>63761468
Yeah, someone once told me Lennon said something like "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Words cant describe art, and that's why we need it.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 500x500
i love this. i feel poser af for it though, bcus i have no idea what's actually goin on. to me it's just tinkering on shit that sounds kool
>>
i see a study that music zone interacts in brain not in same place the language zone even when singing with words

it take a jump of detective to make the words for thinking on the music
>>
>>63763630
dear anon: what?
>>
hhhhhnggg my dick
who is theis semems dememdns
>>
Music I don't enjoy as much is easier to explain than music I enjoy a lot.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.