[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RIP Weezer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7
File: Pinkerton_cover.jpg (14 KB, 307x300) Image search: [Google]
Pinkerton_cover.jpg
14 KB, 307x300
The new album has officially killed off my childhood love of Weezer so I'm listening to Pinkerton. >ITT stuff we miss about old Weezer
For me it's the obvious raging adolescence of Pinkerton.
>>
File: Sad Rivers.jpg (36 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
Sad Rivers.jpg
36 KB, 400x500
>>63754866
:^(
>>
File: image.jpg (106 KB, 600x336) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106 KB, 600x336
This album cover always reminds me of Mushishi, particularly episode 3. The "snow covered mountain town" vibe is very similar, although I imagine the music doesn't really sound that way.
>>
Is there a new album? Why do you think it's bad?
>>
I like blue album better. Am I the only one? Pinkerton good but I think it's a little overhyped on mu.
>>
Pinkerton > Blue > White > Green
>>
Blue>White>>>>>>>The cancer that is Pinkerton.

>muh girl troubles :(
>>
You don't get obvious raging adolescence from the white album?
>>
>>63755043 They're basically trying to be old Weezer but there's too many annoying pop influences and lyrics about how great summer is.
>>
>>63755220
Yeah but its all fiji water misunderstood teenage girl raging adolescences not rad 90s ones
>>
File: w3EPuuQ.jpg (75 KB, 1601x900) Image search: [Google]
w3EPuuQ.jpg
75 KB, 1601x900
>>63755145
it's mostly the guitar that people like though closet case

;)
>>
>>63755233
Can they not make a fun beach album? Besides, it's a good break from the trash they were releasing in the 00's.
>>
>>63755268
I'll admit it was way better then shitty Raditude but they have tried and failed too many times to bring back old Weezer and will just continuing ploughing out shitty/mediocre albums until one of em dies or something.
>>
Their lyrics still suck and sound like they were written by a horny 15 y.o though.
>>
im glad their back actually and im not a fan
>>
>>63755297
That's the point.
>>
Quite content to be taking the advice of others and not listening beyond Pinkerton. Funny how Weezer pretty much are the Sonic the Hedgehog of the music world. Face it, it's not gonna happen.
>>
>>63755296
I admit this isn't 90's Weezer, but the past 2 years they've released material better than the previous 10. Weezer isn't going back to their true 90s sound, Rivers is an old fart now.
>>
>>63755250
That is probably the most cancerous post I've seen in a long time.

And I've seen this one.
>>
>>63755098
Same here. Blue Album was best.
Pinkerton is way overrated.
>>
>>63754866
Wah my childhood has been ruined. Like this if you agree.
>>
I MISS THE OLD WEEZER
STRAIGHT OUT THE GO WEEZER
PLAYIN SOLOS WEEZER
BE THERE FOR BRO WEEZER
>>
>>63754866
>not liking their objectively best album since Pinkerton, and certainly since Green
>>
>>63755098
These albums are so perfect to me. And I feel like I can't give an objective rating because of the intense nostalgia they give me.

I wish Weezer would have changed their name when coming back with later releases, so that when I say I like Weezer, I don't have to add qualifications and disclaimers, ha.
>>
>>63754866
Pinkerton > Blue = White> Red = EWBAITE > Maladroit > Hurley = Death to False Metal > Green > Make Believe > Raditude
>>
>>63754866
White is actually good though.
>>
>>63756127
Fuck I forgot about like half those albums

Colored ones are the only ones that matter
>>
>>63756127
>blue=white

wrong opinion sorry
>>
>>63756307
I love white so far. This is just a on the spot opinion on enjoyment. We'll see if it has staying power. I fully expect it to fall.
>>
>>63754866
>childhood ruined
>be 13
>>
>Album is about masturbating to fan mail
Gotta love that raging adolescence.
>>
>>63756127
>Blue=White
That's a bold choice desu, but I like it
>>
I like Blue and Maladroit the best desu
>>
EWBAITE might have been all over the place, but I'd rather have an album that has both terrible and great songs than an album like White, made of consistently safe pop rock tunes. That said, TGFG is a good pop song and the hate it gets is completely undeserved.
>>
>>63756789

this.

I think the best weezer albums are the ten-track efforts. The last three tracks on EWBAITE was superflous, but if you lop them off the tracklisting and judge the album's remaining 10 songs against against White's, it's an easy contest.

EWBAITE had 5 tracks in the 9/10 range for me. Half of the album was 5-star stuff, and the other half was wan, but not weak.

White has the 2 9/10 songs: "Summer Elaine and Drunk Dory" and L.A. Girlz, the best Weezer song in 15 years. On the other hand it has "Jacked Up," which is awful, and several songs that pander way too obviously (opener, closer, dywgh)- and that's ironic bc the last album was centered around pandering.

I have songs I love from all the weezer albums, even fucking make believe, and these last two albums are leagues above the bullshit. There are just more songs that I'd pray to hear live on one, more than the other
>>
>>63754866
But there's literally nothing wrong with their new album. It's the best they've put out in like a whole decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQGaHnCOXE0
>>
When you get older and stop listening to music for "feels" you'll realise that White > Pink.
>>
>>63754866
>The new album has officially killed off my childhood love of Weezer
Raditude has existed for 7 years now but it's The White album that finally did it?
>>
>>63755233
>pop influences and lyrics about how great summer is.
Sounds like the blue album. Are you sure you were ever a weezer fan? Are you sure you're not stupid?
>>
>>63755633
I lold
>>
>>63755145
>muh girl troubles as refutation of Pinkerton popularity
Did you even listen to White? At least when they made Pinkerton it was genuine. Fucking imbecile.
>>
>>63755145
>>muh girl troubles :(
That's literally every Weezer album.
>>
>listening to weezer
>not sweater song
>>
>>63757798
I'm going to counter your stance on Thank God For Girls. It has the catchy popness of 2010s Weezer and the rest of the album plus the unadulterated weirdness and wtf factor of '00s Weezer.

I, too, am looking for a girl to shove cannolis down my throat after work.
>>
imo

Blue - 10/10
Pinkerton - 9/10
Green - 6.5/10 (it wasn't /that/ bad)
Maladroit - 7/10
Make Believe - 4/10
Red - 6/10 (shitty first half but a surprisingly alright second half)
Raditude - 1.5/10
Hurley - 7/10
EWBAITE - 8/10
White - 7/10
>>
>>63755233
Weezer always made very straightforward pop music, anon.
>>
>>63754866
I totally feel your loss. I haven't listened to the new album yet, but I know what you mean all the same. I stopped believing in Weezer around the Red album. It was okayish, but not even close to the same as Blue/Pinkerton/Green. I didn't have that "adolescence" that you spoke of it. That was the spirit that made Weezer great, and the loss of it just made them meh.
Of all of the bands that I've seen become meh up until now, Weezer hurts the most. But at least I still get those mighty deep feels listening to "In My Garage" and "Suzanne".
Good times.
>>
File: berry good.png (446 KB, 645x575) Image search: [Google]
berry good.png
446 KB, 645x575
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/weezer-weezer-20160401

I liked Rob Sheffield's counter to Weezer fans nostalgic for Rivers' emo phase. Don't always agree with Rob on music, especially his utter indifference to Van Morrison's entire '80's output but he's still as entertaining a writer as anyone else out there and spot on about this album.
>>
>>63755463
oh shit
>>
Pinkerton > Blue > EWBAITE = White > Hurley(underrated) = Green > maladroit > red > make believe
>>
>>63760089
I struck a nerve there :^)
>>
>>63761491
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Raditude
>>
>>63756789
>>63758068
I've got the complete opposite opinion. I *loved* EWBAITE, and it's got a lot of great songs, but something about the whole way it's structured, the way the tracks are quite varied stylistically, the way they're performed... idk, something about it feels like they were trying really hard to be good again.

White Album feels like effortless pop excellence. It doesn't feel like they're trying so hard to be good, they just *are*, like they were back on Pinkerton and Blue Album. Great power pop and nothing else. Apart from TGFG, Jacked Up and Drunk, I think all the other songs are brilliant (Endless Bummer tries a bit too hard to recreate Butterfly at first but the instrumentation in the later half makes up for it to me). I'd say:

Pinkerton > Blue > White > EWBAITE > Hurley > Maladroit > Green > Red > Make Believe > Raditude
>>
>>63755233
The funny thing being, a bunch of these sounds are designed to sound fun summer pop on the surface, but their lyrics are actually pretty dark and real. King of The World is about rivers wishing he could take away his wives anxiety and troubled childhood demons.
>>
>>63761491
Pink>blue>white>EWBAITE>dog shit
>>
How is the white album the one that pushed you over? You managed to get through their worst material and this is the one that makes you call it quits?
>>
EWBAITE>>>>>>>>White

EWBAITE is Weezer "grown up". It resolves arcs of personality growth for Rivers set up Blue/Pinkerton (Say It Ain't So-> Foolish Father, any lovesick song -> Cleopatra/ Da Vinci (which I gamble is about his wife)). That's what made it so good, was that it stopped the heinous trend of middle aged men pretending to still be teenagers/young adults (Raditude/Hurley) and was just a good rock album by middle aged men who accepted where they were.

And now we're back to same old shit of pretending to be teenagers, up to copying 21 pilots for TGFG. ugh
>>
>>63755145
>>muh girl troubles

fuck off /cgl/
>>
File: NANI.jpg (27 KB, 705x696) Image search: [Google]
NANI.jpg
27 KB, 705x696
Why do people dislike California Kids? It's god damn great.
>>
>>63763129

Interesting note: that song was originally written in Japanese as part of that Scott&River weeaboo project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtSOyZf5aU4

To translate it over he got together with the dude from Semisonic (who also worked on someone like you and stuff with t-swifty), who should have made it really soar.

But it just sounds...I don't know. reheated? lukewarm? "Don't you Worry/Don't you Worry?"

The whoo-oo harmony parts in the chorus are cute.
>>
weezer was never good
>>
>>63763356
God damn I feel awkward litsening to that. Good tune though.
>>
>>63763414
M E M E
E M
M E
E M E M
>>
I'm kinda disappointed with White on first listen, although the fact that it's even still possible to be disappointed with a Weezer album is incredible if you think about it.

EWBAITE just had such great highs (namely The British Are Coming, Cleopatra and Foolish Father). Those 3 would legit be in a top 20 Weezer song list. Prior to EWBAITE, every top 20 Weezer list would just be Blue and Pinkerton. Anyway, EWBAITE did also have some dumb shit like Back to the Shack, this one feels more consistent but no 'holy shit this is awesome' moments for me so far. It's definitely at least their 4th best album, that's for sure
>>
>According to Metacritic, The White Album has received an aggregated score of 72/100 based on 21 reviews, indicating "generally favorable reviews".[21] Evan Lucy at Alternative Press declares the album as Weezer's best material in 15 years, stating "So feel free to call it a resurgence, a comeback, a resurrection or whatever else you will. All that really matters is that the White Album's songs are great, and not just great for the 2016 version of Weezer."[22] Philip Cosores from Consequence of Sound criticized the singles "Thank God for Girls" and "King of the World", commenting "The great thing about their last two albums is that these moments are rarities and, considering the band's standing in the rock world, might be a necessary evil. If it takes a couple bullshit alt singles to anchor a collection of vintage Weezer melodies, then it's a worthy sacrifice."[23]

>Staff reviewer SowingSeason at Sputnikmusic described the album as "long awaited and worthy successor to Pinkerton", stating "The White Album manages to deliver on the promise showed by The Blue Album and Pinkerton without spending the entire time treading on familiar ground."[29]

So you're wrong. Unless, you think you're better than these people who actually do know the band Weezer? Thisalbum is a "resurgence".
>>
>>63754992
Mushishi.. Funny you mention Mushishi. I was going to check out Mushishi a while backI just downloaded both this album and Mushisi. I should watch Mushishi. Mushishi sounds good.
>>
>>63763356
Scott and Rivers debut is so criminally underrated family
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.