[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so if listening to your music through iTunes isn't the same
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: 20150630itunes_12_2_icon.jpg (118 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
20150630itunes_12_2_icon.jpg
118 KB, 1000x1000
so if listening to your music through iTunes isn't the same as another music platform, whats the best way to get the most out of your music digitally?
>>
Foobar2000
>>
>>63700291
why is iTunes bad?
>>
>>63700224
I want to be able to access my music from anywhere, so I use Plex. Should give Subsonic/Madsonic a try too, heard good things about them.

If you have a server with some decent storage, or an always-on computer at home or something, it's really the only way to go.
>>
Purely on audio matters itunes is among the best players. The UI is shit though.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 613x677) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 613x677
>listening to music digitally
>not in debt
>>
>>63700328
Yeah someone explain this to me.

I've heard it's bloatware but i have a mac so I don't care all I do is make music, browse the internet and take pictures.
>>
>>63700402
same here! but if music sounds waayyy better then just plain old iTunes then i want to transfer over
>>
>>63700328
It's not. Only autistics say this. I've been using it for years with no issues and it's actually a pleasure to use.
>>
>>63700424
It literally doesn't sound WAYYYY better. It doesn't even sound better at all. They all fucking work the same.
>>
>>63700429
then why do people on here need FLAC or just use other platforms then iTunes if they are mac users.
>>
>>63700453
i guess it's for people who are window users prob since they don't have iTunes
>>
>>63700453
Itunes encodes its music through AAC and AAI, which are objectively worse in terms of sound quality compared to MP3 and FLAC.
>>
>>63700460
Nobody needs FLAC. The human ear can't even differentiate the two. Double blind tests have proven it over and over but elitist audiophile faggots who pretend they have some sort of superior hearing that others don't.
>>
>>63700473
Funny because I've read that AAC is objectively better than MP3.
>>
>>63700481
so true, thanks for your input. now when i see someone who cries for flac, ill just be laughing haha
>>
>>63700506
Okay. I went through my own flac phase for a few months. Exclusively listening to it on high quality headphones. There was no fucking difference.
>>
itunes is motherfucking awful on windows.
>>
>>63700529
It's pretty good these days 2bh my friend :)
>>
>>63700515
>>63700506
>>63700481
oooooh shit they just said it
they did it the absolute madmen
>>
>>63700515
hahah good to know! i am happy with my $30 headphones and iTunes desu i do buy cd's and lp's but thats just something i enjoy doing
>>
Spare me a second, /mu/;

What is a good music player for Android that sorts by Album Artist? All the normal recommendations (Shuttle, Phonograph) only sort by Artist and it's fucking irritating.
>>
>>63700564
>android
>>
>>63700573
>windows phone
>>
>>63700543
it doesn't do well with big libraries, really slow and a bunch of shit i dont care about slowing it down
>>
>>63700473
I heard that the average ear can't even pick up the diffrences
>>
File: MusicBee.png (132 KB, 980x551) Image search: [Google]
MusicBee.png
132 KB, 980x551
>>63700224
>best way to get the most out of your music
>iTunes
>ever

For Windows:
MusicBee
Foobar

For OS X:
Cog
Swinsian
>>
>>63701078
why did musicbee sound like shit when i tried it?
>>
I use foobar because I like that I can set it up exactly how I want, it's lightweight and has active folder watching.
>>
>>63701105
Did you play around in the Preferences? If you go to output and try WASAPI or Direct Sound. Might help.
>>
>>63701181
thanks for reply. if i get it again i'll try
>>
>>63700564
I think Rocket Player does that.
>>
>>63700564
Poweramp is the best
>>
No one on Linux using VLC for downloaded content? Google Play Music for streaming obv
>>
File: 15452122800.png (571 KB, 633x885) Image search: [Google]
15452122800.png
571 KB, 633x885
>>63701078
this so much. i always listen to people say itunes is ok on mac but that's a lie. it's shit too. to be fair it's probably the worst music management on windows, but it's still shit on all other platforms as well. swinsian is the best way to go. man i wish i had money to buy a decent pc, stuck with my dads old mac pro for now. foobar is by far my fav music player. musicbee is pretty good as well.
>>
>>63700481
The human ear can't differentiate the frequencies since 320 and FLAC both reach beyond the cap of frequencies. Bitrate however is why people are drawn to FLAC. Hence why it's used for archival purposes, because FLAC retains all the information.

FLAC has a purpose. 320 is fine and all but it doesn't surpass FLAC.

>98% of my collection is V0 mp3
>2% is FLAC of just a few albums and masters my own albums
>>
>>63700564
>tfw still no Foobar on Android
all i went is an ultra minimal music player
>>
aimp player
supports all formats, soundcloud & youtube, lots of plugins and skins and doesnt look shitty
http://www.aimp.ru/
>>
Music may sound different on iTunes because it has a built in "sound enhancer", and it might be enabled in your case.
To disable it, go to preferences -> playback.
>>
>>63700761
That's why I don't keep albums I don't listen to you fucking hoarder
>>
>>63700224
If your library is organized hierarchically then even something like VLC is fine (which is what I use). But foobar is hands down the best because you can easily tweak it to function exactly how you want. MusicBee is a close second because it's not as customizable but the interface fits the majority of people's needs.

iTunes isn't that bad, especially if you like having movie and TV collections organized as well. The only thing I really dislike about it is that you need a separate program to scrobble to last.fm whereas VLC, foobar and MusicBee do that natively. It used to run quite slow on Windows but I didn't have any problems the last time I used it. But iTunes is the default for most 'normies' so /mu/ is automatically opposed to it based on that.
>>
>>63700529
Not if you don't have a homosexual computer.
>>
>>63700328
>>63700402
I've been listening to music ''''''''''seriously'''''''''' for like 15 years and I've pretty much tried every player available, staying on each between 6months-2years and was never fully satisfied.

After having switched between them for like 5/6 years I finally went back to my first player : itunes. And I must stay it really is the best of all. Even more if you have an iphone/ipod.

Only contrarians are against itunes, just for the sake of it and because it's apple.

The only down side I find to it is when you use it on windows it consumes a lot of memory and updates are kind of annoying (and maybe apple shilling its shit is annoying too.)
But these are NOTHING compared to the advantages.

It really is the best, although I understand people wanting to try other players since I did it.

I give an honorable 2nd place to Winamp on windows.

Others are just shite desu.
>>
>>63705669
You didn't list any advantages of itunes (except its convenience if you have an iPod)

Have you tried musicbee?
>>
>>63705669
Have you tried Foobar2000? It's by far the best and it really light-weight program

Much better than itunes and winamp; but not saying those two are terrible either.
>>
>>63700559
well headphones do make a huge difference, that's undeniable. If you try some $150 or so headphones like the audio technica meme50's you will almost certainly hear a very significant improvement. If you have some spare cash and listen to a lot of music theyre 100% worth it
>>
Spotify
>>
>>63700224
Itunes is acceptable on a mac if you change the settings so it doen't make a copy of all your music. Probably best if you set your default player to something else.
On windows it's fucking attrocious.
>>
>>63700328
It just got too laggy for me. The album covers and the colors that it used from those from the cover was really cool, but it would have a 20 second delay when I did anything.
>>
>>63700224
does anyone know of a program that also acts as a dj introducing my next song and tells jokes or gives facts about the next upcoming song
>>
>>63700473
Who uses itunes to buy music? Unless I'm dumb and somehow the MP3s you load in get remade in AAC.
>>
>>63700564
Following on from this, what the fuck is up with Google play just deciding that a load of my music isn't tagged with an artist or album? It's taken every song bar one from an album and put them as unknown artist, unknown album despite the fact that the android tag checkers confirm it has the correct tags for all categories.

Also, all the interfaces look ugly as sin, someone should just clone the iphone layout.
>>
>>63708669
Get a better computer, use your wages or your neetbux. You have no excuse, stop wasting money on junk food, booze, or drugs.
>>
>>63708960
If all he uses it as is an internet box he could probably just get a barebones player instead.
>>
>>63709008
Get Foobar then, learn to modify it (you have the time), and quit fucking whining. They've also just fixed the lyrics component in Foobar too.
>>
>>63709036
Dude what, I'm not him, I'm just saying that there's not a reason to upgrade a computer so he can run itunes.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.