[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
VSTs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 730x490) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 730x490
Any ableton users on /mu/?
What are your favorite VSTs?
I'm relatively new to all this and would love a place to start.
>>
Got a list of good free effects and some synths

Unfortunately i don't use ableton.
>>
arturia v collection
>>
File: maxresdefault-1.jpg (120 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-1.jpg
120 KB, 1280x720
Came with my midi.

I would get omnisphere if I could find a good fucking torrent for it, for windows.

I also like sylenth1 but I can't get rid of the fucking demo watermark so it's unusable.

Arturia makes the best vsts imo.

Also if anyone knows of a good mellotron VST I would love you forever
>>
>>63676167
Most user friendly synth is serum. Its really good. But its really cpu heavy. Also not a big fan of the filters.

I also use a lot of waves for mastering.

Tbh u need some good synths, a sample library with some variation,a good compressor and reverb and ur good to go. Learn the shit u use before looking for something else.
>>
>>63677687
>I also use a lot of waves for mastering.

What do you mean by this?
>>
>>63677712
The waves plugins. I meant.

They make a lot of plugins that simulate analog gear. It is pretty good.
>>
>>63677516
what are they? not OP
>>
For a beginner, as far as VSTS go, I'd say stick to one for synths.

Serum is really nice and easy for beginners.

Massive is also good but it's a bit outdated.

Sylenth1 is good because it has a ton of presets available and it's also less CPU intensive. But it is also not as user-friendly as serum.
>>
valhalla vintage verb vor reverb
fabfilter pro q for eq
fabfilter saturn for distortion (favorite vst)
serum for thick basslines
kontakt for piano, strings etc.
ozone and waves stuff like kramer tape for mastering

that's the stuff I use the most I guess
>>
serum is a good starting point because of its extensibility; you can create and load your on wavetables and it gets updated regularly (new filters). And there are quite a lot tutorials on youtube
softtube and fabfilter plugins for mixing
>>
>>63678999
>fabfilter saturn for distortion
saturn's absolutely awful for distortion. it's only good for subtle warming and saturation. you should give fxpansion's maul a shot - good for fuzz, warmth and saturation + izotopes' trash if you want harsh distorted tones. u-he's satin is exceptional for tape saturation + colouration but you can drive it pretty hard for more agressive tones as well.
>>
Just get Komplete Ultimate, it's all that you need
>>
>>63676167
I think an "all you need is this" approach is dumb. For example, Timeless 2 and H-Delay don't sound alike, but they can each have a place in the process. To get that specific sound you're looking for, you're going to need a variety of different VSTs for sound design and mixing.
>>
>>63678999
This + nugen stereoizer and Pecheneg Tremolo

But its better to get one quality vst of whatever it does and learn it well than get five reverbs or spend a lot of your time collecting effects.

Its also good to use the built in effects when you can because they're stable and take less CPU
>>
TAL-UNO is a great free juno vst, fabfilter makes some amazing plugins as well but they're quite pricy
>>
>>63680922
if he's just starting out he's better off sticking to a small selection to get his fundamentals down and learn his way around the parameters. too many beginners get bogged down in collecting every vst under the sun and then never learning for e.g. what the decay knob on a reverb does.
>>
>>63680786
yeah, I use it mostly for light overdrive/saturation than real distortion, I worded it badly

>>63680950
>TAL-UNO
thanks will check that one out

also while were at it, whats the delay equivalent of valhalla vintage verb? I've been using abletons stock delay mostly but I'd like something with more controls, at least on return tracks
>>
>>63681050
any reason why you're using vintage verb over valhallaroom?

u-he do a couple of really nice delays, uhbik-d (i think) and mfm 2. the ones mentioned here >>63680922 are quite good as well. fabfilter's modulation workflow is great as always but like a lot of their plugins timeless 2 sounds very clean, almost sterile, to me.

valhalla also does ubermod which is decent but quite unwieldy
>>
>>63680786
Why do you say its awful?
>>
>>63681123
the overdrive algorithms just sound like shit to my ears, honestly - sort of remind me of those distortions on really old multieffects units but exponentially worse. you could chalk it down to preference but everyone i've worked with agrees with me about it. there's just better alternatives out there. maul, trash 1/2, ohmicide, kombinat dva, the soundtoys plugins, hell even the stomp boxes modelled in AIO guitar amp/effects emulations like guitar rig sound better imo.
>>
>>63681120
no reason really, I like the downsampling tho
thanks for the delay suggestions, I will check those out
>>
>>63677687
>a good compressor and reverb

Such as?
>>
File: 1454634345818.jpg (16 KB, 341x390) Image search: [Google]
1454634345818.jpg
16 KB, 341x390
>>63680950
TAL-UNO

Fuck yes, TAL U-NO LX is awesome. Pretty straight forward and you can get awesome sounds out of it. It might be a bit too simple for advanced users but it's perfect for beginners. My favourite VST so far.
>>
>>63681540
>TAL-UNO
Used to be my favourite VST ever. Was telling my friend all about it yesterday. Really simple thing.
>>
File: 1411264665100s.jpg (6 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1411264665100s.jpg
6 KB, 125x125
Get as many UAD plugins as possible.

Starter pack:

>API 560 EQ
>1176 or LA2A compressor
>Studer
>EMT 250 reverb

Those will get you reeeeeally far
>>
>>63681630
Does anyone have torrents for UAD plugins? I can't find any anywhere, and I'm a poorfag so $300 per plugin is not an option
>>
>>63681847
I was just looking up the EMT 250 one. You need the hardware though, I'm pretty sure!
>>
Synth1, not Sylenth1 but Synth1 is difficult to use but fantastic and has a wide range, and is actually free. Get some preset packs and go crazy
>>
>>63681856
>>63681847

Naw negro they should run without any special hardware - I think? Either way, if you're looking for quality plugins, UAD is the way to go. The price can be a bit high, but they have amazing deals sometimes where you can get a $300 plugin for $50.
>>
While we're at it, what are some quality libraries for Kontakt? I need piano and orchestral instruments for film/TV scoring and commercial shit.
>>
>>63677585
Yeah, I have the same problem anon. Can't find a torrent for this VST.

The Sylenth1 torrent from kickass is good bro, the license works. It's working here. No demo watermarks.
>>
So what's the best DAW for /mu/-core stuff? Please no hate, honestly just wondering.
>>
>>63682680
I use the Model 7 Grand for Piano, it's dope

>>63682743
there is no "best daw", also /mu/core is pretty broad

>>63682723
did you try audioz.eu?
>>
>>63682680
Symphobia/ Symphobia 2 and adagio by 8dio. The combination that I want when I get enough cash to upgrade from my barely acceptable halion symphonic orchestra.
>>
>>63682743
the best DAW is the one you have a comfortable work flow with
>>
>>63682743

Like, ambience and shit. I mostly record my own instruments so I just want something that I could add background effects with.
>>
>>63682803
Just try them all and stick with whichever feels right for you. I'm >>63682680 and use Ableton. Go figure.
>>
>>63682769
>Model 7 Grand

Thanks. Sounds pretty nice, certainly a huge step-up from Pianissimo.

>>63682778
>Symphobia

I actually Orchestral Essentials, I think it contains elements from Symphobia. It's basic but it is fine for school shit and amateur stuff. I will look into it and adagio.
>>
VSTs are the only thing I use daws for

My favorite one's TAL-U-NO-LX its like a juno 60/106
>>
>>63683040
Yeah, I'll try out ableton now. I've tried FL studio and Cubase so far but I didn't like them at all. Fingers crossed ableton's different.
>>
>>63683230
I gladly migrated from years of using cubase to ableton. also tried FL in between and it really sucked for me. just watch an overall tutorial series first, so u get an idea of the overall functions
>>
>>63683331
Found an installer in my torrents that I got like a year before. Just tried it out and I gotta say it's awesome. It's exactly what I wanted. Really orderly and pretty simple to use, at least on the surface. Gonna try and learn how to use it well.
>>
>>63681594
>Used to be my favourite VST ever

Well, what is your favourite now?
>>
OP here.I feel asleep. Side note I'm a beginner in ableton but have experience with synthesizers. Thanks for the suggestions.
>>
VSTs are for lavish chumps that can't even ableton. ableton devices are more than enough. sound great, use zero cpu, fully supported in all future ableton releases or if your hard drive crashes.

two cents i guess but y'all use too many VSTs
>>
It depends on what you're really going for. But, in general, I think the entire Arturia Collection is the piece of gold for VSTs, together with one personal favorite of mine that is the Nexus VST.
>>
File: Sunrizer_Synth_3D.jpg (118 KB, 1400x1050) Image search: [Google]
Sunrizer_Synth_3D.jpg
118 KB, 1400x1050
>>63676167
>>63676167
check out bleepstreet's sunrizer.

free demo and you can run as many instances as you want. the morph feature on it is unrivaled anywhere. it basically lets you set two variations on a patch (or two completely different ones) and slowly change the parameters to switch between the two.

plus it has a gorgeous interface. someone said it reminds them of jp-8000 with the supersaw wavetable built in.
>>
>>63685896
I found FL easier, yeah I know it's baby's first daw but I'd rather use that than anything else
>>
>>63685896
>ableton devices are more than enough
nah
esp. not if you're not big enough to consider letting someone else master your track
also you need at least one good synth imo
>>
>>63686065
That mockup even looks like the JP-8080, the desktop JP-8000
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.