[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If they did a "mature" sounding album with a more somber
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 7
File: animal-collective_281.jpg (26 KB, 490x327) Image search: [Google]
animal-collective_281.jpg
26 KB, 490x327
If they did a "mature" sounding album with a more somber mood, how would it sound? Would it be good?
>>
You mean now? Or ever? Listen to Loch Raven
>>
yeah, a full album like the back half of feels (save turn into something) or the slower tracks on water curses (street flash, cobwebs, seal eyeing) would be nice.

i think avey has it in him at least, some of the tracks on down there are heart-wrenching.
>>
Their earlier stuff sounds more mature than the recent
>>
>>63669028
very true. Reverend Green comes to mind when I think of a sad AnCo song. It would be cool to hear what a "bad trip" sounds like to them, or just more mature songs like Panda's "Tropic of Cancer"
>>
It would probably be pretty good, but a bad move for the band's career, since we all know what their fanbase thinks of maturity
>>
>>63669001
Banshee Beat and Loch Raven for sure are bittersweet, but Bees and Daffy Duck sound more like the comedown of an acid trip, all dreamy and calm
>>
>>63669028
Centipede Hz was dealing with some pretty heavy themes, a lot of the uncertainty and stress that comes with leaving your youth behind and becoming parents.

>>63669278
The more I listen to Tropic of Cancer, the more out of place it seems on Grim Reaper. The bulk of that album is Panda having fun, and then swerves into a much more contemplative tone regarding stuff he'd dealt with by 2007.
>>
>>63669397
explain?
>>
>>63668479
they might god forbid use an acoustic guitar again
>>
>>63669525
still a good song but yeah, it would have fit better on Person Pitch
>>
>>63669525
>tropic of cancer
good call anon. Super out of place in the Anco canon in terms of mood. I might say the same for Bros, at least with the lyric and sample content
>>
File: stgstv.jpg (45 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
stgstv.jpg
45 KB, 500x500
>>63668479
It would sound like this.
>>
>>63669555
>he doesn't like Sung Tongs
>>
>>63669600
Came here to post this
>>
>>63669555
>Not liking Campfire Songs, Prospect Hummer, or Sung Tongs
Kill urself my man
>>
>>63669604
it would be mature of them to return to their acoustic sound. that "god forbid" was sarcasm.
>>
>>63668666
>>63669555
>>63669666
sure is trips in here
>>
File: feels-502f189ce67f1.jpg (292 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
feels-502f189ce67f1.jpg
292 KB, 1000x1000
This album is like the happy Laughing Stock.
>>
>>63669510
I dunno man, I always get pretty emotional at the "There you go, changing kin again...." bit in Daffy Duck. That's a total gut punch for me.
>>
>>63669625
The damn thing is seriously a masterpiece. If AnCo is remembered in the history of music at all, it will be for this album. It's a shame nothing else they've made has ever come close to the level of STGSTV, though HCTI is probably the closest.
>>
>>63669666
That's not what he meant, he was being sarcastic
>>
>>63669600
>>63669625
>>63669787
God I hate this place so fucking much
>>
>STGSTV is their masterpiece

uh

SJ > HCTI (and Fall Be Kind) > Feels > MPP > STGSTV > ST > PW >>> CHZ = CS > DM
>>
>>63669815
>>63669842
>it hurts my ears Dx
Who let the plebs out tonight?
>>
>>63669842
I have no idea why people think Strawberry Jam is their best album. It's the definition of an 8/10.
>>
>>63669600
The thing is, it's really only mature coming from such a juvenile perspective.

It's sort of like an album that's wise beyond its years.
>>
>>63669740
I don't think so, where do you see that? Laughing Stock is fairly happy anyways
>>
>>63669855
>projecting

DM is neat but it's nowhere near as cohesive (and coherent) as their rest
>>
I think Avey and Panda were in a darker state of mind at one point, but they seemed to transfer that into their solo work at the time - the themes and overall sound of both Down There and Tomboy are more dour and "mature" in nature. Like another anon mentioned, a bit of Avey's darker emotional headspace bled into CHz as well.
>>
>>63669855
Didn't say anything like that. I like early anco. Not only is spirit not anco, but it's not even THAT good, it's like a 7
>>
>>63669578
Panda often (and sometimes deservedly) gets a lot of criticism for his lyrics, but I think quite a lot of his songs have a great depth in spite of their simplicity. He's really only choosing the words for their sound, which makes the times when they perfectly match give it a lot more meaning.
>>
>>63669740
Feels isn't necessarily happy, and Laughing Stock isn't necessarily sad.
>>
Am I the only one who thinks that Painting With is mature? Maybe not the soundscape, but certainly the lyrics and general songwriting. It sounds grown up, like I feel like I can hear how they have kids. Mostly in Panda
>>
>>63669920
Imo most anco is 7/10, so it stands equal with the rest
>>
>>63670026
Honestly, the only anco or side project albums that I actively like but put below spirit are slasher flicks and painting with. I find anco to be consistently really good.
>>
>>63669920
>Not only is spirit not anco

Resurrecting a dead meme just to be incorrect?
>>
>>63670002
I've noticed since Tomboy and the accompanying interviews with Panda that he's becoming increasingly more existential. It was a bit evident with some of the themes on GR, but it's really obvious on PW.

I was especially impressed with his lyrics on Natural Selection. Reading them is what finally made me like that song.
>>
>>63670089
7/10 is still great though
>>
>>63670113

Yes! I fucking love those lyrics, he's on some sage shit for sure all over that record.
>>
>>63670002
>>63670113
Panda's maturity really started after his dad died, and solidified after he got married and had kids.

GR still has a pretty solid mix of him getting serious and fucking around.
>>
File: anco.png (13 KB, 1332x170) Image search: [Google]
anco.png
13 KB, 1332x170
>>63670107
since when is that a meme, it's just the truth
>>
>>63670268
>it's just the truth

It's objectively false. The band itself has said that any album with two or more of them on it is an Animal Collective album.

Just because it's mostly Avey doesn't mean you get to ignore Panda's amazing drumming.
>>
>>63670321
they were all avey
s ideas. and he'd been writing it for years, with no intention of it being a group thing, and indeed it wasn't. panda's role was essentially that of any studio musician; nothing about the album was a collaborative effort, save when it came time to record drums. the only reason it falls under animal collective now is for convenience. deak also helped panda on young prayer, you don't see anyone arguing for it to be called an animal collective album.
>>
>>63669926
I mean on his recent projects it seems kinda lazay but like on person pitch, when he was making it, they hadnt even come out with strawberry jam so they werent the huge band they are now, it seems like it was just a small music project to keep him busy in lisbon, which is funny considering its probably the most complex his lyrics and vocals have goten
>>
>>63668479
does anybody think this will ever actually happen someday?
>>
>>63670443
>nothing about the album was a collaborative effort,
>save when it came time to record drum

The percussion is a critical part of Spirit. You might as well say Danse isn't an Animal Collective album because all Panda did was play drums and Geologist just sampled noises.

You can keep referring to it as a solo album, even though it no one, not even Avey from the start, considered it such.

Read the poem in the liner notes of the album. It is intended as a collaborative effort.
>>
>>63670478
They're going to keep making music for a long time
>>
>>63670527
yeah for sure
>>
>>63670196
Right, that's definitely true, but I felt like a lot of his maturity and insights were related to himself and the people around him and who he cares about - all very personal. Tomboy was about exploring the dichotomy of what it means to be so devoted to your loved ones - a family man - while at the same time having a vocation that constantly keeps you away from them. He's asking: Who am I? What is my purpose? How do I define myself?

On Grim Reaper and Painting With however, he's not going outside of himself. He's becoming more metaphysical. Instead of asking "what's my purpose? what does it all mean as it relates to myself?" he's now asking "what does it all mean in the bigger picture? where does humanity stand? is everything deterministic?" Even Tropic of Cancer - a song which at first seems extremely personal - posits the nature of disease: there is nothing inherently evil about it, it's only an organism trying to survive like every other creature in the universe.

Sorry for the rant, lol. I just find his evolution in regards to lyrics to be fascinating.
>>
>>63669955
I know, I didn't really know how to say what I was trying to say. I was just kind of banking on people getting me, which I guess they didn't.
>>
>>63670527
>>63670539
comfiest posts ever
>>
>>63670524
>no one, not even Avey from the start, considered it such.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_They're_Gone,_Spirit_They've_Vanished#Release
literally right there
>The album was intended to be released under Avey Tare's name alone

Also most of the whole minute of 1:09:00 in this podcast has avey pretty much saying what I say about it https://soundcloud.com/thewanderingwolf/episode-66-dave-portner-avey-tare-animal-collective

We can agree to disagree, but I'm not just making shit up doggy dog
>>
>>63670524
Imo when avey had written most the stuff and come up with the ideas for how songs would sound, but when him and panda came to record he probably shaped the record more to pandas drumming as well the other way around
>>
sorry not relevant but how do i get used to the song spirit theyve vanished? i love every song on STGSTV besides it and i keep trying but it legit hurts my ears.
>>
>>63671060
develop tinnitus
>>
>>63671060
Listen to it softer then, it's not meant to be listened to loud anyways I don't think
>>
>>63669740
is literally superior in everyway to LS
>>
>>63669600
it's a 7/10
>>
>>63671060
Lie in a field at night at the end of the summer while looking at the stars and thinking about all the beautiful childhood experiences you'll never get back.
>>
>>63669842
wow, that's fucking awful
ST > Hollinndagain > MPP > SJ = HCtI > DM > CS > PW > Feels > STGSTV > CHz
>>
>>63671349
Its crazy how everytime someone ranks anco its always completely different from someone elses
>>
>>63668479

they already did, it's called centipede hz
>>
>>63672165
oh, thank you for this answer, i've pointed this out before but i completely forgot about it now
>>
also chz is objectively their 2nd best album after spirit
>>
>>63672222
Second worst. I'm actually amazed they made an album worse than this to be honest. It's like we hit a wall with Painting With. That album is the sound of them giving up. At least on Centipede Hz they sounded somewhat engaged in what they were doing even if they weren't capable of actually good songwriting for some reason. Even the best song, New Town Burnout, is weakly arranged and just goes around in circles with no progression. Anyone who honestly thinks this is among their best albums has no understanding of quality songwriting. And I haven't even gotten into how ugly and repulsive the sonic attack is throughout this entire record. When you say this is one of their best albums, it doesn't make you look cool, it just makes you look like an idiot.
>>
>>63672602
New Town Burnout was actually originally a Tomboy track, too.
>>
>>63668479
Bleed off Fall Be Kind is pretty somber.
>>
feels is their mature album
>>
>>63672602
nice meme, buddy
>>
>>63672705
I was about to say this
>>
>>63672712
This. In before everyone says it's not because most people seem to have something against Feels for some reason despite it being what I truly believe to be Animal Collective's best record.
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 624x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 624x420
>>63670578
>>63670196
>Beasts (beasts) don't (don't) have (have) a (a) sec (sec) to (to) think (think) but (but) we (we) dont (dont) app(app)rec(rec)i(i)ate(ate) our (our) things (things)

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>63672769
same here
>>
File: Avey_Tare_-_Down_There.jpg (39 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Avey_Tare_-_Down_There.jpg
39 KB, 500x500
Like this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v9sDD0USLZI
>>
>>63672602

wait is this copypasta?
>>
>>63669787
This. Always this
>>
>>63672769
yeah, i've noticed the recent backlash as well. it's just cyclical- there's always these sorts of trends. i remember a few months ago everyone was hating on sung tongs but now it seems to be well regarded again. also, there was a period last year where strawberry jam was just getting absolutely SHITTED on all the time.

very divisive discography.
>>
>>63672905
No Two AnCo rankings are ever identical
Feels, Sung Tongs and Here Comes the Indian have all been at the top for me at various times. At one point I had Painting With above Feels, now Feels is #1.
>>
>>63669028
Lol what. Spirit is just insecure white boy stuff lyrically. MPP is their most mature lyrically.
>>
MPP and CHz are "mature". So is Tomboy. So is Down There. So is Feels. So is Prospect Hummer. So is Fall Be Kind. I mean fuck. What do you want them to make a god damn Neil Young album?
>>
>>63672222
No, CHz is their first best.
>>
>>63672769
I like feels but it honestly makes me too emotional so i dont listen to it often
>>63672602
I like chz because it reminds me a lot of talking heads
>>
>>63673047
>it reminds me a lot of talking heads
???
>>
>>63672818
i mean it's pretty obvious imo
>>
The absolute final official rankings to end all rankings:
1. CHz
2. MPP
3. Feels
4. SJ
5. HCTI
6. Sung Tongs
7. STGSTV
8. Painting With
9. Danse Manatee
10. Campfire Songs
>>
>>63673204
I can get on board with this. CHz is defs their best
>>
>>63673081
There is definitely an afrobeat influce on monkey riches similar to something you'd hear on remain in light.
also all the weird random sound effects.
>>
an entire album of loch raven / banshee beat would be GOAT
>>
>>63673034
weweth laddie
>>
>>63668479
I think fun and optimism, are from a certain perspective, more mature than cynicism and melancholy.
>>
>>63671247
wew
>>
STGSTV > MPP > Feels > SJ = CHz > PW = ST > HCTI > DM > CS > Hollinndagain

i like them all tho
>>
STGSTV = MPP > ST > SJ = Feels > HCTI > PW CS> Hollinndagain = CHZ > DM

STGSTV and MPP are pretty much solo projects.

Person Pitch > Down There > Panda Bear discog

in terms of solo work.
>>
>>63673204
>DM above CS

No way hosay
>>
>people who have never listened to HCTI but dont want to put it low on their rankings to fit in with the others
what's their bag
>>
>>63676166
what are you even talking abt hcti is good
>>
quiet, mark hollis acoustic inspired baroque pop album

the only way
>>
>>63672851
This album is underrated as fuck.
>>
>>63676599
i know it is
but when people are ranking hcti next to mpp you know something is up
>>
>>63676708
how do you figure?
>>
>>63671101
It absolutely is. The whole point of the whispering at the start is to get you to turn the volume up
>>
>>63669555
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqQ7tU26Q6E
>>
File: folder.jpg (48 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
48 KB, 500x500
a lot of "mature" music or any band "maturing" usually sucks but their most somber album (pic related) is one of my favorites
>>
>>63672691
source? I wouldn't think that from listening to it.
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.