[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In Defense of Morrissey and Other Autistic Musicians
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10
File: mozz6.jpg (66 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
mozz6.jpg
66 KB, 615x409
This is a rather sentimental post for me.

In the latter stages of my youth, Morrissey grew to be a personal hero of mine, he and HP Lovecraft. Morrissey's blunt, yet delicate lyricism resonated with me all through my ill-adjusted teen years. Though I've grown rather coarse and cold since then, lines like "You can pin and mount me, like a butterfly" still permeate the my stone-skin. I still cry listening to "You've Got Everything Now," and "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out." Morrissey reminds me that I too am human, and that I need to be loved.

My time on /mu/ has exposed me to a variety of opinions pertaining to music. That, among all else, is what I most appreciate about this place: its ever-open ear for dissenting opinions, given they are well-substantiated. All that being said, though, there are things I cannot tolerate. For far too long this community has misattributed Morrissey's personal quirks to some conscious choice on his behalf. This is wrong in every sense of the word. Morrissey is autistic. He suffers an inescapable condition whose pangs the overwhelming majority of you are privileged to never know, yet you've the audacity to make fun of him.

Is he blunt, perhaps even crude, in conveying his convictions? Absolutely. Is he often aloof to how alienating his political stances are? More than often--constantly. Has he exercised passive-aggression towards several of his contemporaries over ultimately trivial matters? That is rather subjective, but one could make the argument. However, Morrissey is the ever-captive prisoner to his autism and he ought not be held accountable for acts such as these, when they are roused wholly by circumstances beyond his control.

I welcome debate. All that would like to challenge my position are free to do so.
>>
>>63647445
This is a great shitpost
>>
>>63647628
>>63647700
I don't understand you people.

Why can't you just take anything seriously.

I take the time to carefully convey my thoughts, and you think it's a joke. Do I have to make a joke for you to take me seriously?

I don't understand.
>>
>>63647445
>Morrissey reminds me that I too am human, and that I need to be loved.
I really like this line but the rest of this is autistic drivel.
>>
I liked the part where he called the Chinese subhumans
>>
le boy with le thorn in le siiiiide
>>
Not your best work, Unty. Feels labored and stiff, and I think you're at your best when you improvise shit on the spot.
>>
Dude, basically your position is that you're a scared little whiny bitch friendless virgin, and you like Morrissey because he's made a career of marketing to faggots like you. This is not news to any of us, so don't really expect much debate

kys
>>
I think Morrissey knew/knows what he is/was doing. He's not autistic.

Some people are just quirky or pensive or optimistic or sad or whatever the fuck, it doesn't mean they're autistic for knowing how to make their personality marketable.
>>
File: Morrissey2.jpg (187 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
Morrissey2.jpg
187 KB, 1252x1252
I don't think Morrissey is autistic. Isn't a general trait of aspies/autistic people that they don't have empathy or understand social situations? Morrissey has shown he has a great deal of understanding about human feelings and about being human. He is just a dick sometimes who is strongly supportive of his beliefs. He knows what he is doing.

Also, sorry people aren't taking you seriously, unty.
>>
>>63647445
>"You can pin and mount me, like a butterfly"
I don't remember this line. What song is it from? What is the context?
Is it about someone doing him in the bum?
>>
>>63648292
This... he has demonstrated more than adequate social intelligence and insight in his lyricism. Being awkward and misfitting does not make you autistic, as much as so many self-diagnosed internet edgelords would love to have that excuse to pin their failures on.

If anything Morrissey's issue is that he is in love with himself. He idolises writers like wild who had a dispassionate regard towards the opinions of others who criticised their art and does emulate him in more than just this way. He is an egotist, arrogant, and vain.

Don't get me wrong, I like Morrissey too, but he's far from beyond the blame of his actions. Unless you have trouble separating art and artist this shouldn't really be an issue.
>>
>>63648292
The greater majority of Morrissey's lyrics (I'm referring strictly to with The Smiths, here) are not indicative of empathy. They are tailored to his experiences, his own personal youthful trauma. That is not empathy. Further, introspection is also unrelated to empathy.

His several one-sided feuds with contemporaries suggest a latent malice towards them. His lyrics suggest a lack of social-awareness and social skills.

I could go on, but on the whole I believe that he's at least a sperg.

>>63648303
It's from Ring Around the Fountain.
>is it about someone doing him in the bum?
A common interpretation, but Morrissey has said that wasn't his intent.
>>
>>63648519
>A common interpretation, but Morrissey has said that wasn't his intent.
Do you believe him?
>>
>>63648303
It's from Reel Around the Fountain

"I dreamt about you last night, and I fell out of bed twice
You caan pin and mount mee
liike a butterfly~"
>>
>>63648480
>being awkward an misfitting doesn't make you autistic
Those are two symptoms of Aspergers, which resides on the spectrum.

>he's in love with himself
Aspergers is oft initially misdiagnosed as narcissism. There's a wealth of research invested into the matter.
http://samvak.tripod.com/journal72.html

I do not have difficulty separating artist from art. The intent of this thread was always to exonerate Morrissey, not his work.

>>63648617
At a time I'd conjured my own interpretation, but I've forgotten it.

>>63648644
I already told him that.
>>
This was a pleasant thread while it lasted.

I enjoyed having a legitimate discussion. Thank you, everyone that facilitated.
>>
>>63648685
Yeah, you told him the wrong name of the song.
>>
>>63647445
Don't play this fucking game with me, you cunt.

You know what you fucking did, and I do not tolerate that shit. I was having a discussion with someone. This discussion did not concern you.

Do not fucking supply answers to inquires that were at no time, in no sense, presented to you. It's nice that you have an opinion, but I do not fucking care, and you will not fucking use my private discussions as a platform for spouting said opinions. I will not fucking tolerate it.

Do not make me fucking repeat myself.
>>
>>63649421
I didn't ask you.

Speak when you're spoken to and not a moment earlier, piece of shit.
>>
Wew unty lad kill yourself you tumblrite sad sack of shit
>>
>>63648166
4channers are typically afraid of bold and outspoken people and call them "autistic" or "cringe" at them because they're incredibly insecure.
>>
>>63650232

WOW GREAT FUCKING CONTRIBUTION NEWFAG FUCKING STOP POSTING NOW YOU'RE WHATS KILLING THIS BOARD FUCK YOU

>>63650144
Chill nigga lmao
>>
>>63650385
I didn't ask you.

Speak when you're spoken to and not a moment earlier, piece of shit.
>>
>>63647445
didnt read any of this. fuck you
>>
File: 1458917110165.png (234 KB, 307x307) Image search: [Google]
1458917110165.png
234 KB, 307x307
>>63650433
>>
File: heat.png (32 KB, 222x288) Image search: [Google]
heat.png
32 KB, 222x288
>>63650433
this is my favorite
>>
Copying and pasting my posts without context is your idea of humor?

You're all so intellectually stunted that it's quite incredible. You've probably never even heard of Andy Kaufman and others of his ilk.
>>
>>63650684
Another one goes into the collection
>>
>>63650684
Don't play this fucking game with me, you cunt.

You know what you fucking did, and I do not tolerate that shit. I was having a discussion with someone. This discussion did not concern you.

Do not fucking supply answers to inquires that were at no time, in no sense, presented to you. It's nice that you have an opinion, but I do not fucking care, and you will not fucking use my private discussions as a platform for spouting said opinions. I will not fucking tolerate it.

Do not make me fucking repeat myself.
>>
>>63650684
>You've probably never even heard of Andy Kaufman and others of his ilk.

Whoah, indirect explanation of the Unty modus operandi right here. Niiiiiiice.
>>
>>63650684
>thread about morrissey
>also mentions andy kaufman

we get it you can name members of the smiths you fuck
>>
You see what I really don't fucking understand is how people like me are made to be the enemy, while people like YOU lurk this board and litter it with your anti-intellectual drivel on a much more regular basis.

I put thought into my posts. They are exercises of intellect and sincerity, never once compromising my integrity. I try facilitating intellectual discourse. I try so fucking hard and this, being made a fucking joke, is what I get in return.

This entire fucking board is backwards. From the posters, to the janitors, to the mods. Everyone here (there obviously exist exceptions, like myself, however few) has their fucking priorities backwards.
>>
>>63650918
shut the fuck up
>>
>>63650918
you were unecessarily hostile to some random poster and it snowballed from there.

Getting this thread back on topic: check my new rapp video and tell me what you think lads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sMNDHj_Ikc
>>
>>63650947
Why? Why should I shut up?

Did I say a single incorrect thing in that post, or is it so spot on that you want me silenced before I can gain traction?

>>63650968
I'm hostile towards those whose actions warrant hostility. Read that post again: I will never compromise my integrity, or the integrity of my posts.
>>
File: 1459210213541.png (398 KB, 1000x3715) Image search: [Google]
1459210213541.png
398 KB, 1000x3715
>>63650918
>I put thought into my posts. They are exercises of intellect and sincerity, never once compromising my integrity. I try facilitating intellectual discourse.
>>
>>63650996
yo it's pretty much just a fact at this point that MOST people on 4chan are gonna give you shit, doubly true for you as a well-known trip. the non-binary dude was just trying to explain their identity. i think if you had just kept that thread going and filtered out the people giving you shit none of this would've even escalated any.
>>
what's wrong with jokes
>>
>>63651079
You can't ignore those that intend to harm my perception, especially not here. The typical anon is mindless sheep, a mere subject to whichever opinion is shouted with most volume.

I resign myself to infamy if I let libel flow free from my enemies' lips. They must be met immediately, with the whole of my resolve and wit, not to be left alone until they accept defeat.

Beyond that, I think you misunderstand my intent in that thread. I wanted the non-binary person to explain. I repeatedly asked them to explain.
>>
unty is the best new trip

he's like the anti-Montie
>>
>>63651324
*I can't ignore those
>>
>>63651415
Do you have a RYM or Last fm?

What are your favorite albums/bands?
>>
>>63650684
this is what happens when actual autists are granted minor freedoms
>>
I think one of the main reasons I hate his music so much is the dissonance between the music itself and the lyrics. The lyrics are some of the mopiest shit imaginable yet the music itself is usually chipper jangle pop that you'd hear in some shitty I'm-so-twee Garden State-esque movie.

I think the dissonance explains why every girl I've ever met who was super into the Smiths was completely insane.
>>
>>63648011
Fuck you little bitch
>>
>>63651324
Why do you talk like this? Are you the one who posted the other day about how certain sounds make you think of "sloshing" blood or whatever? I seriously hope you don't talk like this in real life, you strike me as someone who has very little real friendships and thinks it's everyone else's fault
>>
>>63650918
This is not true. You are well loved here. Do not base your opinions on the ramblings of a vocal minority
>>
This thread is no longer about music and cannot be redeemed.

I am leaving.

>>63651454
I've been exploring a lot of glitch lately, with some noise, lowercase and musique concrete scattered about. Also, screamo.

www.last.fm/user/eccks-y-yyoou
>>
>>63651764
have you ever considered joining /daily/? I'm sure you'd think it's a blast
>>
>>63651764
see ya shitbird
>>
>>63648519
>ring around the fountain
Yep confirmed shit post
>>
>>63651764
AND IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

NATURALLY FLED
>>
>>63648685
>cherrypicking quotes out of context

nIc3 OnE

the point of the post was clearly that morrissey was not a social retard, he understands social interaction and has demonstrated a high level of social intelligence, he just doesn't care
>>
I'm dead after reading unty's (satirical?) posts. Greatest things I've read all week. Really hope it's all a performance. If he's genuine that boy needs help
>>
File: 1458808726985.jpg (152 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1458808726985.jpg
152 KB, 500x375
>>63648165
You don't like the Smiths, anon?
>>
>>63647445
>All that would like to challenge my position are free to do so.
Why wouldn't be?
>>
File: image.jpg (168 KB, 1536x856) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
168 KB, 1536x856
unty is fucking with yall

look at this suave motherfucker
black people can't be autistic
>>
File: 1457767369081.gif (187 KB, 275x195) Image search: [Google]
1457767369081.gif
187 KB, 275x195
>>63650918
Sincerity is so trite, don't you agree?
>>
File: 1458422884853.jpg (20 KB, 436x446) Image search: [Google]
1458422884853.jpg
20 KB, 436x446
>>63651324
Can't handle the bantz, brah?
>>
Since when do people excuse aspies for being autistic?

People should be held accountable for their actions.
>>
>>63650813
top kek
>>
>>63652227
>black people can't be autistic

What about Mad Thad?
>>
File: 44.gif (251 KB, 250x163) Image search: [Google]
44.gif
251 KB, 250x163
posting in le epic thread
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.