[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What genre/era of electronic music had the most interesting sound
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: aut.jpg (6 KB, 372x135) Image search: [Google]
aut.jpg
6 KB, 372x135
>>
definitely right now. As far as sound design goes right now is unmatched.
>>
jungle
>>
>>63601734
what are jungle albums with good sound design? aren't most of them just standard breaks and dubby echos oh wait, that does sound like the best I see
>>
Obviously right now. I don't know what you mean by "electronic music" since all recorded music is produced with electronics, but the trap shit and abstract shit happening right now is amazing. The 90s had the most block rockin beats though.
>>
>>63601820
>jungle
>albums
wew lad
>>
>>63601930
More like
>electronic music
>albums

He may want a compilation tho
>>
>>63601953
yeah that would be cool
>>
>>63601921
Who are some artists of today that you think go beyond what the acclaimed IDM artists did?
>>
>>63602057
those accliamed IDM guys were about music not sound design, nowawdays there's a shit and everyone cares about making their shit sound like movies. Even a Garden Of Delete goes further when it comes to sound design than most of that stuff
>>
>>63602133
lol

p sure GOD, like R+7, is largely sample/ preset-based
>>
>>63602057
I don't know about sound design, but I've never heard vocals like OPN's replica or an album that sounded so alien. And Arca and Holly Herdon are doing stuff that the acclaimed idm artists couldn't do at their peak, even if most of that stuff sounds like the windowlicker EP taken even further.
>>
>>63602332
I think arca is pretty cool. Holly hendron does so many small detailed sounds that ended up boring me.
>>
>>63602400
>Holly hendron does so many small detailed sounds that ended up boring me.
I agree, her music doesn't seem to have the same sense of wonder as someone like OPN's, where it's emotionally engaging even if he's probably a less skilled producer or composer. Her music sounds emotionally vacant even if it's still technically amazing.
>>
>>63602332
>I don't know about sound design, but I've never heard vocals like OPN's replica or an album that sounded so alien.
You've never heard pitch-shifting before?
>And Arca and Holly Herdon are doing stuff that the acclaimed idm artists couldn't do at their peak, even if most of that stuff sounds like the windowlicker EP taken even further.
Debatable...

Either way, this thread is pretty dumb. Music technology has changed a lot over the last 20 years, and what constitutes "good" sound design is largely subjective
>>
Technically we have the most power to design sound, but in the 60's to early 80's we probably applied more of it. Back then everything was leaps and bounds, but now it's smaller details and less obvious.
>>
>>63601686
industrial techno
>>
>>63602740
I'm thinking more along the lines of like "wow those guys in from the ____ movement in 19__ or 20__ sure made some crazy sounds!" not necesarilly the most massaged, subtle or modern sounding etc...
>>
the 90's
>>
>>63601726
this is objectively right.
>>
>>63602740
>You've never heard pitch-shifting before?
That's not what I meant, he found the most microscopic parts of non-musical audio and made a rhythm out of it just by looping it. He made it hypnotic and alien just by looping small, out of context, yet familiar noises repeatedly. I've never heard that before and I don't think it's been done so boldly in such a popular album before.

>Debatable...
Thanks for being vaguely condescending man, you're really making a solid argument there and adding a lot to the conversation.
>>
>>63603830
What conversation is there to have when your barometer for "interesting" is largely contextual and more dependent on your own preferences than anything in the first place?

I'm a big fan of all the artists you mentioned, but they're by no means doing anything that could be considered terribly revolutionary in a long-term view.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.