[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This album came out 14 years ago today. How does everyone feel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
This album came out 14 years ago today. How does everyone feel about it?

It's still one of my favourites desu. I still remember every lyric.
>>
very whiny and aged like milk after the first couple listens. I'm glad Brand New became much more popular than they did
>>
>>63600698
just as i saw your post
number five with a bullet was playing
i love that album and everything up until their self-titled record
still think WYWTB is their best
>>
Still have the CD in my car. Remember every damn lyric. One of my favorite albums of all time.
>>
>>63601047
Nah pham, the raw teenage energy hasn't been surpassed.

>>63601070
Same. I loved New Again even. Their last two album were shite though :(

>>63601090
Hell yeah brother
>>
discount emo and an edgier version of fall out boy.
>>
This turns ten years old this year.
>>
>>63601211
But Anon, TBS were an influence on FOB...

>>63601255
Still one of my favourites, despite their cancerous fanbase and their tendency to dresss up as clowns during concerts.
>>
>>63601284
It's an amazing album. I kind of feel like their fan base wouldn't have been so cancerous if they didn't dress up like they did. But I guess they dressed that way because it was to fit the theme of the album. Same went for Three Cheers.
>>
I don't understand why people dislike Happiness Is . I understand it's not their best work but it's still a decent 7/10
>>
>>63601334
>using number rating systems
>>
>>63601284
figured that much, and imo fob did their shtick much better

>>63601312 never could get into these guys, they always felt exactly like TBS but even less interesting.
>>
>>63601367
That's a shame. They're one of the few bands that I feel I can go back to and listen to not just for nostalgia sake but because I genuinely think they made a few fantastic albums.
>>
>>63601312
Yeah their heart was in the right place, it just attracted the worst parts of teenager culture. Shame though; TBP would be regarded as one of the best alt rock albums of the 2000s if it weren't for their reputation.

>>63601334
It was just... unremarkably inoffensive. Not terrible like their s/t, just boring as hell in an era where emo revival is picking up where TBS left off and making much better albums. I mean, bands like Balance and Composure, Have Mercy, The Hotelier, and Citizen are all obviously heavily influenced by TBS but they're creating top tier emo while Happiness Is was just... meh.
>>
>>63601425
A lot of people who care about music are willing to look past that. I'm often surprised at the amount of praise Three Cheers and TBP gets on here. I personally feel it is one of the best alt rock albums of the 2000s.
>>
>>63601367
The only FOB album that came close to TBS's shtick was TTTYG. After that they went in a decidedly poppier direction. And I wouldn't fault anyone for picking TTTYG over TAYF. I personally love both albums but I'd give TAYF the edge personally.

>>63601394
Exactly. TBP in particular has quality songwriting, however you feel about the vocals.
>>
>>63601500
I love Gerard's voice. I think personally my favourite album is Three Cheers though. It changes. Although they are too diferent to compare.
>>
>>63601483
Yeah, a lot of people who grew up with music like this think similarly, but I'm talking about the wider critical audience.

>>63601532
Yeah, one thing you can't fault MCR for is being cookie cutter. Each one of their albums is wildly different from each other.
>>
Louder Now was the first album I ever bought.

>>63601070
I agree with this anon. WYWTB is better. One-Eighty is probably my favorite TBS song.
>>
>>63601555
Yep. The closest you'll probably get to similarity is their debut and three cheers. But even then.. I personally loved danger days, it seems to get a lot of flack here though.
>>
>>63601561
Personally these are my rankings:

TAYF > Louder Now > WWYTB = New Again >>>>>>>>>>>> Happiness Is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> s/t
>>
Should I listen to "Tell All Your Friends"? I've never listened to TBS before. I went and saw The Used back in 2014 and TBS were touring with them but I was a pleb and left after The Used played.
>>
>>63601575
Yeah Danger Days was great, it's my second favourite after TBP. Have you listened to Gerard's solo album?

>>63601618
Yes. If you liked The Used, you will probably like it (and Where You Want To Be, for that matter), although it's more on the punk side than the alternative side.
>>
>>63601575
Danger Days was great man. I feel like it got a lot of undeserved hate because 1. The band achieved a reputation for their fanbase, and 2. It didn't come across well with the fanbase they acquired with TBP.
>>
>>63601665
>>63601668
Yeah it was definitely a lot more poppier sounding than their previous albums but it still held it's own and it definitely still had their roots of punk/alt rock in there.

I'll download Taking Back Sunday now.
>>
>>63600698
One of my fav albums growing up, still is. I haven't really listened to it in a while.
>>
>>63601743
You know what to do.
>>
>>63601668
Yeah it got shit from both sides of the aisle. Kind of like FOB's Folie a Deux, an album I absolutely love. It's my favourite of theirs.

>>63601712
With TBS, it's best to go in chronological order. But if you're pressed for time, skip the last two and make up your own mind about New Again which is probably their most divisive.

>>63601743
Same, but I found out that today was its birthday and I've been playing TBS since.
>>
saw taking back sunday play their debut album live i think 4 years ago then? it was an anniversary show. pretty sweet.
>>
>>63601795
>their most divisive
Yeah I was just reading about it on Wikipedia. Lazzara said it was a "big step backwards". I wonder why he didn't like it.
>>
everyone in here who hasn't, listen to the band thursday
>>
i really like taking back sunday's first couple albums. 00's pop-emo is so much better than any of this trendy midwest emo revival shit that's trendy right now.
>>
>>63601867
thursday? you can have dat
sunday? imma take dat
>>
>>63601832
Yeah they even released a live album from that tour called TAYF 10.

>>63601837
Yeah it sucks that they don't like it. They refuse to play anything from it during shows, despite Everything Must Go being a top 10 TBS song and Capital ME being a top 20 TBS song.

I think most of it is just bad memories because it was released right after Fred Mascherino left. He's what Capital ME is about. Super bitter song lmao.

>>63601867
I never could get into Thursday desu senpai
>>
damn i forgot about this album

i saw them touring on this one with brand new and rufio summer 2002 in a room with like 50 kids

miss those days man
>>
>>63601912

thursday's album war all of the time is beautiful. so is full collapse and the evolution of their sound until their breakup is glorious.

finch is also a good band.
>>
>>63601972
haven't they just gotten back together or am I thinking of some other band
>>
>>63602028

finch is back together. thursday's lead singer geoff rickley is with the members of lostprophets under the new name no devotion.
>>
>>63602071
Is No Devotion any good?
>>
>>63602115

i like the album they put out.

geoff rickley also has another band called United Nations but idk if they are still together. they put out an album or two and some eps which are good.
>>
>>63602233
I'll check em out, thanks
>>
>>63602028
Thursday is reuniting for a festival this summer
>>
>>63601136
new again is surprisingly awesome. the closing track is among the best tbs
>>
>>63603042
Yeah 100% agreed. Really sucks they've Your Favourite Weaponed it :(
>>
>>63603080
how come? just because they don't like the album? i'm too old for those old pop punk shows, but i still make a point to see tbs when they come around. im 27 and i feel like me and my friends are the oldest ones at the shows
>>
>>63600698

I had a rip of this album on my computer, but whenever I listened to it there was this buzzing artifact noise that bugged the shit out of me...so then I torrented it, but got the same thing. Anyone else notice this? Was the thing just kinda shittily recorded? (It's a shame, because this is also one of my favorite nostalgia albums and I think a bunch of the tracks still hold up.)
>>
I fucking love My Blue Heaven and Divine Intervention off Louder Now
>>
>>63600698
only 14 years? omg made me feel young I thought this was 25 years
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.