[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>shitty modern "culture" platforms like Fader, Complex,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: satanadultmale.jpg (70 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
satanadultmale.jpg
70 KB, 1920x1080
>shitty modern "culture" platforms like Fader, Complex, Pigeons and Planes, Hypebeast, etc randomly start telling me that grime is the greatest thing ever
>describe it as a modern day rebellious punk rock type thing
>apparently it's the "sound of Britain"
>apparently the lyrics give listeners a gritty, real depiction of living in the London ghettoes
>decide to give it a listen

>YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'VE GOT AIDS
>YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'VE GOT HIV
>YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'VE GOT GONNORHEA
>CAUSE YOU SUCKED OUT YOUR MUM'S PUNANI
>YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'VE GOT CANCER
>YOU BLACK SOMALIAN YOU'RE NOT READY
>YOU BANGLADESHIAN YOU'RE NOT READY
>YOU ETHIOPIAN EXCUSE OF AN EXCUSE

What the fuck is this shit? Are grime artists actively paying these platforms to advertise their shitty genre as some kind of underrated gem?
>>
>>63566264
devilman is easily the most meme artist in the whole genre (and there are quite a few) and hes from birmingham. youve just had a very surface level introduction to the genre. as with any genre theres good and bad artists/songs.

grow up
>>
File: stormzynas.jpg (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
stormzynas.jpg
1 B, 486x500
>>63566318
Okay mate you're right I will listen to the classic legend Dizzee Rascal who has collaborated with UGK.

Oh it's just a load of songs about beating people up.

Okay don't worry I will give another grime legend, a delightful rapper with the extremely creative name: Ghetto, a chance.

Oh goodie more songs about beating people up.

How about another grime legend, D Double E?

Oh great he's rapping about beating people up AND he sounds beyond autistic!

Okay, surely new grime superstar who has literally caught the attention of Ice Cube and fucking NAS in the past few days, Stormzy, will give me a reason to listen to the genre.

Oh great he's just rapping about beating people up.

Okay, I will give this Jme man a chance apparently he's a nerd and is different from the other ones.

Oh he's just making songs about beating people up, except this time he's using extremely uncreative Street Fighter and Call of Duty and Pokemon references. Great.
>>
>>63566539
still pretty entry level and memey artists (with a few exceptions) point is mate what are you expecting? its music to get hype to originally made by very young kids in their bedrooms in underprivileged parts of london. is it high art? no...is it trying to be? no. the point is your completely taking it out of context. the lyrics arent supposed to be deep and introspective on the whole. theyre meant to be things that get people turnt up in clubs and reflect the agression in their lives, its supposed to be fun and catchy and something you can remember and shout a long to. maybe its not to your taste i can fully accept that, but your listening to it like a fucking autist. do you know why they dont play schubert in nightclubs despite it being great music? it doesnt fit the context.

also listen to devlin, tales from the crypt. objectively a fantastic and complex lyricist.

try and be more reasonable in future.
>>
>>63566539
OP IS AN EGG
>>
I fully believe that this entire genre isn't the biggest industry plant of all time.

Seriously, you have the biggest popstar on the planet randomly going gay for Skepta and then signing for his fucking label. Then you have Kanye fucking West bringing Skepta and a load of other nobodies onto his stage for the BRIT Awards. Then you have fucking Chris Brown of all people promoting Section Boyz, who are absolutely terrible. Then Stormzy hangs out with Ice Cube and Kevin Hart. And now NAS? The man who made Illmatic is literally hanging out with a guy who hasn't released a fucking album yet. A guy who has like 2 or 3 meme songs. And then JME is fucking appearing on POKEMON's YouTube channel. One of the biggest entertainment franchises on the planet and they're choosing some random rapper from England who nobody outside of England gives a flying fuck about to advertise their 20th anniversary.

This industry is fishy as fuck.
>>
>Channel U
Not even once.
>>
>>63566880
man this post tastes salty. noone gives a fuck about your opinion mate, people like these artists, why would there be anything disingenuous about grime artists hanging out with MC's from the US considering it started going through a kind of revival from a couple of years a go? especially considering our actual hip-hop MC's suck. stop espousing a stupid conspiricy based entirely on your personal opinion
>>
Grime is like any genre. There is good and bad.

You could pick a handful of bad artists in literally any genre and say it's trash.

You could pick a handful of great artists and say it's good.

This thread is retarded.
>>
>>63567106
thank you. finally someone else with an ounce of common sense.
>>
>>63567009
Yes senpai because Nas regularly shows up to specifically watch obscure foreign rappers perform.

Seriously, no one knows about Stormzy in America why the fuck is Nas there.
>>
>>63567287
these people arent obscure anymore, maybe in the early to mid 00's but grimes fucking pop music now. why would rappers in the US not be looking out at what rap is coming out of UK? our charts have a lot of crossover with artists from both countries charting in each other. just coz your average american might no know stormzy, nas is an MC who probably takes an interest in what other MC's are doing. also shut up has 27 million views, how is that obscure in any way?

your literally reaching so hard for stuff to back up your bizarre conspiracy theory.
>>
>>63567106
I think I'll copy this and mercilessly post it in the constant

>Wah me no like

Threads that we tend to have here.
>>
>>63567445
Yes senpai and I'm sure Stormzy's viral meme song really inspired Nas to take the time out of his day to attend his concert.
>>
>>63567709
>i personally dont like something, therefore nas definitely wont either.

great logic
>>
>>63566264
it's a meme like most pop culture. i can't see it resonating emotionally with anyone or touching anyone personally. it's mindless fodder people consume just so they can feel cool and accepted. it's not the sound of britain, it's the the sound of working class black people making money off of white people.

*tips fedora*
(i'm serious though)
>>
>>63567825
again why take something so out of context and judge it against such a drastically different criteria and set of values. your just too pretentious to enjoy it which is ok but why project so much?
>>
>>63566711
>it's meaningless music that's used as a soundtrack to meaningless activities
fair enough, we all have our ways to unwind, but does it really need to be talked about everywhere? there's not enough substance to it for any kind of real discussion to take place
>>
>>63566880

Grime's "big moment" has been coming for a couple years now. If you had been paying attention you would've noticed how it became a massive influence for British electronic musicians and then a point of nostalgia. As per usual it takes the US a couple years to catch up with the UK.
>>
>>63567877
again the word meaningless is being needlessly provocative. it serves a purpose, i have had loads of fun out listening to it, it gets you too turnt up if you go to a grime night. its so nostalgic for me as someone who listened back in its original hey-day. again its not to your taste and doesnt fit your perception of what you think music should be but other people disagree. ive had many enjoyable chats about grime, they werent 'deep' but i dont regret having them. like i say i realise its not high-art i listen to lots of different music and if i was looking for a deep meaningful listening experience id go to other genres for sure but noones under the illusion its that kind of music in anyway. its fun. lighten up anon.

>>63567887
also this...i personally dont agree that the USA are always behind the UK in electronic music. but if you listen to modern electronic music theres a hell of a lot taking its influence from grime rn.
>>
What I don't understand is that the grime rappers out right now don't actually use good grime production.

Most of them just rap over trap beats with a couple bleepy sounds in them so they can call them grime.

Grime instrumentals are so cool I don't know why no one uses them.
>>
This just in Tupac has come back from the dead and said that Chipmunk is the greatest rapper of all time and that All Eyez On Me was heavily grime influenced and that grime is the future of music.
>>
>>63568127
because it's being marketed towards americans, who don't have the attention span for different styles. that's why all popular hip hop right now, and even some pop, uses the same tired trap production
>>
>>63568150
If it's being marketed towards Americans it's not exactly working.

Yeah the rappers who actually pay attention to what's popping around the world might know about Skepta and Stormzy but the general population doesn't.

Walk into a club and turn on Shutdown and watch how many people know the tune.

Honestly the best way of crossing the pond would just be to do your thing and let others catch on.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.