[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /Mu/ , What's some nice EDM ? Which are EDM's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: 1451947006132.gif (59 KB, 400x362) Image search: [Google]
1451947006132.gif
59 KB, 400x362
Hey /Mu/ ,

What's some nice EDM ?
Which are EDM's essential albums?
>>
Lobster Theramin
L.I.E.S.
>>
Creme Organization and The Bunker New York
>>
>>63560772
There's no such thing as good dance music. Any music made explicitly for the purpose of dancing, in any genre, isn't good music.
>>
File: 90s electronic albums.jpg (1 MB, 2316x2348) Image search: [Google]
90s electronic albums.jpg
1 MB, 2316x2348
You'll find some good stuff on this chart, but EDM has few "essential albums".

One, it's mostly about singles and mixes. EDM is primarily played in clubs, and clubs don't play albums.

Two, there's so much stuff out there that it's nearly impossible to keep track of everything. And three, a lot of it really is equally good and almost interchangeable — there's a ton of satisfying EDM releases out there, but few that really stand out, whether qualitatively or in terms of style.
>>
>>63561476
Your autism is showing
>>
>>63561476
(not true, by the way)
>>
>>63561476
wew, thats rock, metal, punk, pop, bleeps, hip hop, jazz, soul, funk, rhythm and blues out
>>
>>63560772
>people on /mu/ are now using the term edm to describe all dance music unironically
god damn it
>>
>>63563107
Electronic
Dance
Music
>>
>>63563117
yes, it literally means that, but the context of it has inextricably connected it to pop dance like skrillex and diplo
idm is idm, but it's not literally intelligent dance music
>>
>>63563137
Who has ever called Diplo IDM?
>>
>>63562922
this

how do you find good mixes though?
>>
Start by not calling it EDM OP
>>
>>63563163
that's not what I was saying, though I probably could've worded that better
I was using idm as an example of a genre name that doesn't literally fit the music
>>
>>63563230
A full stop would have helped yeah.

>>63563229
>>63563107
So what do you call the umbrella of club intended subgenres of techno, house, garage, breaks etc?
>>
>>63563278
EDM
>>
>>63563278
dance, because the most logical term is already taken by edm
>>
>>63563278
Dance music.
>>
>>63563430
>>63563480
So like Tango, Salsa, Waltz and the Macarena
>>
>>63563534
nah, that's why I specified that the most logical name was already taken. while it's stupid from a naming standpoint to refer to techno, house, breaks etc. just as dance it's the term most commonly used to refer specifically to them
>>
>>63560772
Okay, from someone who was in high school during the original dubstep explosion, here's what I consider the best records of the EDM explosion

>Caspa & Rusko: Fabriclive 27
(this compilation is in every mean the exact moment at which old school dubstep made the transition into "broste
>Noisia: Split The Atom
(get the special edition, the bonus tracks are great)
>Feed Me's Big Adventure
>Wolfgang Gartner - Weekend in America
>Excision - X Rated
>TNGHT - TNGHT
>Rustie - Green Language
>Kill The Noise - Kill Kill Kill
>16bit - In The Death Car EP
>KOAN Sound - Funk Blaster
>Culprate - Hall of Mirrors
>Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites
(yes, really. Even now that I don't listen to this kind of music anymore, the production is phenomenal, and he has a sense of groove that give his arrangements an energy and sense of direction his imitators often lack)
>Porter Robinson - Worlds

I've limited myself to one release per artist, but all of these have great and sometimes extensive catalogs
A common pitfall for people new to dance music is that albums are not the prevalent form in the genre. It's more based around singles, remixes (a dance remix is most often a new piece in its own right), EPs, and the DJ mixes they're meant for, so the best way to find good dance music is to listen to sets from artists you like. You can check out artist mixes on publications like FACT, Electronic Explorations, or DIS Magazine.
>>
>>63563560
Thats fine, in this thread as we are talking about EDM anyway, start a discussion without specifying artists then dance music is meaningless.
>>
>>63563563
brostep*

also, add Rinse.fm and Boiler Room to that list of places to fond DJ sets
>>
>>63563563
You sound incredibly American
>>
>>63563563

Right. Ignore this guy.

Just listen to all the releases on Innamind, Deep Medi, DMZ, Tempa, Hotflush Recordings.

Good starting place for tunes.

Also listen to some J:Kenzo mixes.
>>
ITT: Britbongs feeling superior for listening to hip hop loops without rapping

pathetic
>>
File: Barry_Shitpeas.png (786 KB, 1280x694) Image search: [Google]
Barry_Shitpeas.png
786 KB, 1280x694
>>63563690
>hip hop loops
>>
>>63563749
Techno and breaks wouldn't exist if not for Bambaataa and electro music.

Only house escapes the hip hop origins.
>>
>>63563685
>>63563647
But that's the point. Of course I don't think these are the best electronic albums of all time, I was talking EDM in the strictest sense. I assumed OP wanted to know if there was anything good in the most recent boom of more accessible, "americanized" dance music.

Recommending stuff like Tempa to someone asking about EDM is like recommending Joy Divison to someone asking for Pop Punk.
>>
>>63563767
true but something like garage and Jungle is so far removed from techno or early electronic music what is the use in even comparing them
>>
>>63563767
By that logic rock music is distortion over blues chords.
Being reductionist is for pedants and doesn't achieve anything.
>>
>>63563810
thats why something like Innamind is perfect, not too chinstrokey and not bro inspired
>>
>>63563840
Jungle is as close to hip hop as you can get.

>fast breaks and sample, Jamaican style MC'ing

Literally the only difference is where the Jamaicans emigrated too.
>>
>>63563846
Yes, rock is just blues and jump up jazz, bit of country and western, its done the same thing for 70 years and all thats been added is an occasional keyboard and how fast/slow they strum their geetahs.
>>
>>63563906
what is some interesting music then, enlightened one?
>>
Skip the rest and just get into techno

Surgeon, Plastikman, Regis, Andy Stott, Deepchord, Drexcyia, Blawan, Objekt, Kowton, British Murder Boys, Lakker, Basic Channel, Voices From the Lake, Gas, The Field, Monolake, Ricardo Villalobo, Shackleton, Vladislav Delay, Underground Resistance, Perc
>>
>>63563949
I didn't say its not interesting.
>>
>>63563890
only the poppy jungle m8

https://soundcloud.com/sully-e64/sam-binga-ft-warrior-queen-wasted-days-sully-remix
>>
>>63563976
Yeah do this OP if you want to be bored fucking stupid.
>>
>>63563563
Yes, this is what was popular but the majority of what you listed is hot garbage.
>>
File: imgres.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
Wouldn't say it's an essential but I like this a lot
Also the M Machine's two "Metropolis" EPs are pretty good
Noisia is pretty awesome, try their album Split The Atom
and idk if Amon Tobin really counts as EDM but I love Amon Tobin. Pretty much all of his stuff

I listened to shit tons of EDM before becoming a /mu/-browsing patrician
>>
>>63564043
>before becoming a /mu/-browsing patrician

lmao at you thinking browsing this shithole of p4k BNM, radio pop/rock/rap and sucking Fantano cock makes you ''patrician''
>>
>>63563976
Why are so many Techno people such elitists. I get that there is a lot of shitty "EDM" as americucks say but there is so much other interesting electronic music. I like techno too but some of the fanboys are insufferable.
>>
>>63563563
Pretty good list
KOAN Sound has better stuff though IMO, I would say Forgotten Myths & Sanctuary are better
>>
>>63564043
Stop saying EDM
>>
>>63564108
Better than ''electronic music'' or ''electronica''
>>
>>63564151
it really isnt
>>
>>63563188
RA, podcasts, artists' SCs, FACT, rym, discogs
>>
>>63564172
It really is.

Electronic music covers so fucking much its hilarious to use, Electronica is a dumb Madonna buzzword. You're only pissed because your shitty /bleep/ crap gets associated with shitty EDC crap.
>>
>>63562922
>bleep albums
>it has idm
>>
>>63564238
90s "IDM" was rooted heavily in ambient techno and jungle
>>
>>63564308
yes but they're bloops m8
very different
>>
>>63564330
theyre very different now. But in the 90s, and this chart is a 90s chart, IDM sprung from ambient techno and jungle. SAW1 is almost a techno record desu
>>
>>63565064
yeah, but is has stuff like rdj album, tri repetae, and bricolage on it
those aren't bleeps at all
>>
>>63565116
Tri Repetae certainly is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KsRIM4Jx4Q
>>
>>63565173
eutow maybe, the majority definitely not tbqh
>>
>>63565196
Yeah that's fair but I mean it has dozens of albums, having a few from a related genre is nbd
>>
>>63565343
yeah I know, I'm just being an autist
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.