[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you listen to music? Quite a hard question and maybe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: burns.png (222 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
burns.png
222 KB, 640x480
How do you listen to music?

Quite a hard question and maybe no one can be bothered giving a full answer but something I'm v interested in.

For example, do you visualise worlds/scenarios to go with the music, do you focus on the feeling or the instruments and so on?

I tend never to do much but sit there quite blankly and see if the music does something to me. Interested in your ways
>>
depends

if it's something very lyrical heavy like a ballad then I try to picture they're putting together. Somtimes it's a little more abstract. If there's no real or coherent narrative them maybe I try to focus on the emotions or feeling they're trying to portray.

sometimes if it's an instrumental I imagine a soundscape or maybe some kind scenario or scene

or maybe I think of the band playing in the studio
>>
>>63559877
depends on the song, if its rap or something i like to focus on the lyrics. if its something else i focus on the melody
>>
I spend 90% of my time programming and I have to put all of my attention into that, so I tend to focus on the melody because I use music as something to keep me alert/focused.
When I'm doing that I listen to Drake, Ghost, Daft Punk, Electric Wizard and some others.

When I'm not doing that I focus on lyricism/complexity and I tend to listen to Kendrick, Gza, MF Doom, King Crimson and Radiohead.
>>
I listen to music solely for the beat/rhythm. I only like vocals if they enhance the rhythm of a song. I don't picture anything when I'm listening. House music is what I listen to. Also I mostly like uplifting music or music that makes you feel like moving
>>
>>63559877
All of my favorite albums have a fairly detailed "world" inside of them. I don't consciously try to construct them but certain music bends the images and ideas I associate with them a certain way, usually forming a consistent sort of logic and scenery.
>>
>>63560479
I'm like that most of the time too even for songs more lyrically driven
>>
File: Diddely.jpg (30 KB, 420x350) Image search: [Google]
Diddely.jpg
30 KB, 420x350
>>63559877

I'm a movie-enthisiast first and a music afficionado second, so when I listen to music I tend to picture a scene to it. Sometimes I try to frame me, right at the moment of me listeing to the song. Sometimes I lay the song over scenes from movies I saw to see how the mood would be affected.
If a music really hits my feels I will oftentimes just sit in my dark room, focus on the feels and try to picture me in the moment a hero in a movie would have his test of resolve/will or if it's a light triumphant tune, his moment of glory or some other movietrope that would gel well with the tune.
>>
I imagine myself playing it in front of a crowd
>>
Whenever I listen to (or write) songs, I tend to seperate the music and the lyrics in my head.

I visualize a scene that the music would fit and think about what kind of story the music tells, the setting, the characters, the actions. The overall ambiance and emotion of the song as portrayed by the music is the setting, the individual notes in a song are characters, and the interaction between the notes (chords, key changes, time changes) are the actions that take place between the characters.

For the lyrics, I generally interpret them in a way that relates to the story the music is telling. If they don't convey the same thing to me, I enjoy them separately. The lyrics sometimes act as a main character in the story, or they could just be something that compliments the ambiance with the way they are performed.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.