[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to get into Aphex Twin. Where should i start and which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: aphex twin.png (12 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
aphex twin.png
12 KB, 450x450
I want to get into Aphex Twin.
Where should i start and which records should i listen to?
It seems people agree that he has a few fantastic ones, but also a few shitty ones.

I only listened to Selected Ambient Works 2
>>
I don't know but Tree is my favorite
>>
>>63556334
I'll help you out.

What are you into? *
>>
>>63556334
Selected Ambient Works 1

Best AT album of all time.
>>
>>63556334
btw there are hundreds of aphex releases so it's hard to say where to start generally
>>
I highly recommend starting with Smojphace EP, specifically ktpa1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPlhcpSZ8YI

I remember my dad used to play this on his Camaro's 8-track as a treat for us kids when he'd drop us off at school in the morning. We'd snap our fingers and bob our heads up and down and sing and laugh -- the perfect music to lay the foundation for a happy day at school. I'd memorized every note, every beat, every nuance and detail. Finally like 30 years later they release the digitally remastered version and WHAT THE FUCK!! The dynamic range is compressed, clipping everywhere, flat soundstage, no tonal separation -- they'd raped the soundtrack to my childhood, another victim in the loudness war, and all to service the SHEEPLE who can't scrape up the dough for a decent pair of beats. I wrote all the surviving members of Aphex Twin and begged them to remaster it properly for the beats / audiofile community but they didn't care; they'd become a part of the machine that only dre seems able to fend off.
>>
>>63556396
You mean what kind of electronic music producers?

Andy Stott
Oneohtrix Point Never
Tim Hecker
Burial
Baths
Forest Swords
DJ Rashad
FlyLo
Fuck Buttons
James Blake
The Field

If you're asking about genres, i'm no good with that
>>
I mean, you should start listening to some soft albums, like Syro or SAW 85 - 92. If you want to challenge your ears, then listen to Drukqs. But I'd consider "ΔMi−1 = −αΣn=1NDi[n][Σj∈C[i]Fji[n − 1] +Fexti[n−1]]" the most challenging track to listen and yet is my overall favorite (It is found in the Windowlicker EP).
>>
Richard David James is a hero of electronic music, such a talented man, and I'm glad you're getting into his creation, if you want to have his stuff released to soundcloud (deleted shortly after publishing it) then just ask me :) [email protected], I also have his son's tracks haha.
>>
>>63556471
lmao Smojphace seems like kind of a weird place to start.. Not many people are gonna like modular synth noise at first. I assume your joking. The two jungle tracks are pretty damn good. The closest he ever got to straight up ragga.

>>63556472
Richard D james album is really nostalgic, great songwriting with some pretty sick percussion stuff and a really fun aesthetic. If you like this listen to hangable auto bulb.

If you're looking for some more intense drum stuff drukqs is a more serious album. Im not HUGE fan of the prepared piano stuff that is dispersed throughout the record.

If you want some really groovy more accesible stuff. All of the acid stuff is realy good. Check out Analord 3,7,9 and Rushup Edge. Syro is great as well.

The ambient stuff is pretty self explanatory if you really like that stuff check out "words/music"
>>
>>63556565
Yo.

Do you have the Metz Pa Hat break? it was on his soundcloud for a short amount of time
>>
File: aphextwinchart.png (4 MB, 4000x2500) Image search: [Google]
aphextwinchart.png
4 MB, 4000x2500
>>
Melodies from Mars is my favorite. Calm and relaxing music, very noice
>>
Start from his first album and move forward. They're all great, these are my ratings:

>Selected Ambient Works 85-92
4/5
>Selected Ambient Works Vol 2
4.5/5
>I Care Because You Do
3.5/5
>Richard D James Album
4.5/5
>Come To Daddy EP
3.5/5
>Windowlicker EP
4.5/5
Drukqs
>5/5

Then there's a bunch of stuff released under AFX and some under The Tuss. I haven't gotten to that yet. He also released Syro recently under the Aphex Twin name
>>
>>63558481
Stars don't translate well into number ratings
>>
Torrent his discography and listen to everything in order.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.