[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why hip hop/rap is such a controversial genre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: kendrick_animation_04_002.png (794 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
kendrick_animation_04_002.png
794 KB, 1080x1080
People seems to either love it or hate it to death. What do you think, anon? It has any artistic value? Is it any good?
>friendly reminder I'm just a guy who hasn't listened to any rap album ever and wonders why /mu/ "hate" so much
>>
Same reason rock was
>>
yeah it has artistic value
yeah it's good
not all of it though
>>
You haven't listened to a rap album ever?
I think it's good. Dope beats and poetic. Listen to The Chronic for your first rap album.
>>
define artistic value
>>
>>63529485
You know, quality-wise music criticism.
Sonically, musically, lyrically, etc. Exactly how you judge other genres.
>>
>>63529400
People dislike it either because of
A) social stereotypes that they blindly believe (such as "all rap music is about drugs and guns!!!" (not that there's anything bad about enjoying rap/hip-hop that has those topics in mind))
B) racial prejudices (I know it seems cliche to say it, but some people do dismiss hip-hop/rap because they believe to be "nigger music"
C) it just doesn't appeal to them

The reason why it's controversial is due to most hip-hop/rap with mainstream exposure tends to glorify cultures that are seen as damaging to society or discuss controversial, recent topics in a way that can be seen as very direct and either biased or insensitive.

All music has artistic value as all music relies on the art of music to be composed and created. The subjective value of a piece is usually seen as cheapened when produced with in a commercial, industry-focused setting, however, these pieces usually rely on heavy reliance on mainstream consumer trends and have to adhere to cliches to have financial success for their company, so in a sense, they're not really artistic pieces so much as a form of an industrial product, made for mass consumption.
>>
>>63529727
OP here.. thanks for the reply, man.
You clarified the topic very well.. Nice words btw
>>
>>63529842
Glad I could help.

btw are you that guy i gave recs to a week ago
>>
File: cornrose kenny.jpg (91 KB, 500x613) Image search: [Google]
cornrose kenny.jpg
91 KB, 500x613
>THIS DICK AINT FREE 10x

Truly the greatest rhythmic poet of our time
>>
>>63529400
Because hip hop/rap is

1. Repetitive
2. Musically basic (chords, rhythms, etc.)
3. Lyrically basic
4. Completely lacking in innovation

Watch: none of the hip hop kids can refute me.
>>
>>63529904
No I'm not.
>>
>>63529727
As far as race is concerned, the worst kept secret of the hip-hop industry is that it's propped up almost entirely by white kids. Suburban teenagers are the vast majority of the consumer base for hip-hop.
>>
>>63529966
>Manlet
>>
they dont understand the lingo
>>
>>63530103
matta fact its nine inches
>>
>>63529997
You can't argue with stupid. So yea I guess we cant.
>>
>>63529997
You can say the same thing about most genres desu.
>>
>>63529966
i actually dont even like tpab or kendrick lamar, but I dont understand the issue /mu/ has with this line. it makes sense in the context of the song, its about how pussy is expensive and dick is free in our society, especially black society, guys have to make a lot of money to be appealing to women but women dont. I thought that was obvious but I guess /mu/ is filled with 14 year olds who snigger at the word 'dick'
>>
>>63530192
How old are you?
>>63530200
Not experimental (ACTUALLY EXPERIMENTAL) music, jazz and classical.
>>
>>63529400
it's just like any other popular genre you turd. rock was controversial, pop is controversial, go away. i like some rap btw
>>
because it's a GARBAGE genre.
>>
>>63529400
Because only the shittiest fucking rap is acclaimed. I mean fucking TPAB has a 96 on Metacritic and has been hailed as the coming of black Jesus more or less, considering today's racial tension, but it's a 7/10 at best. I hate to say this, but rap critics are often totally ignorant of the rap music of the past and barely know the best-sellers.
>>
>>63530192
not an argument
>>
>>63529400
>It has any artistic value?
Absolutely. And I think many hip hop albums are great. But there's a bunch I strongly dislike too, and it's a genre that's so in-your-face that it's almost impossible to ignore and easily becomes unpleasant to obnoxious.

Plus, there's often braggadocio involved (which is often frowned upon in society), it's often repetitive and sometimes lacking in melody (which are often valued in music), and it can be blatantly promoting violence, sexism etc.

And then there's the issue of sampling, using someone else's music, which is common to hip hop and house music and can easily be perceived as stealing.

>>63529727
Some good points, though it's not all stereotypes and prejudice. You don't have to dig deep into gangsta rap, or even mainstream rap, to find some downright nasty stuff.

>>63529997
Have you listened to Endtroducing, cLOUDDEAD, Circle, Stankonia, To Pimp a Butterfly? They really aren't what you're saying.
>>
>>63530339
tpab is far from shitty
>>
File: penn.jpg (78 KB, 832x584) Image search: [Google]
penn.jpg
78 KB, 832x584
>>63530376
>To Pimp a Butterfly
Opinion discarded
>>
>>63530376
>Have you listened to Endtroducing, cLOUDDEAD, Circle, Stankonia, To Pimp a Butterfly?
Yes I have, holy shit you're funny. Is this your first year on /mu/ or something?
>>
>>63530245
It's an immature song
>>
>>63530376
>it's a genre that's so in-your-face that it's almost impossible to ignore and easily becomes unpleasant to obnoxious.

good point, mah nigga
>>
>>63530245
>its about how pussy is expensive and dick is free in our society, especially black society, guys have to make a lot of money to be appealing to women but women dont
Oh dear, here we go again.
>>
>>63529400
It's meh. Country music. Now that's fucking horrible.
>>
People don't understand rap music that isn't like kendrick lamar and shit. "Its gotta have artistic quality! A message!", theres a place for catchy ass bangers, just like theres a place for anything else.
>>
pop music, hip hop are in the same level, thats it
>>
>>63530467
no no no, it's SUPPOSED to be like that :^)
>>
>>63530604
are you implying beach boys are in the same level with rap
>>
>>63529966
Repeating a line a few times is pleb shit but literal white noise for ten minutes is obviously patrician

>/mu/ logic
>>
>>63530654
kek
>>
>>63530654
stop falling for shit b8 newfag
>>
>>63530646
pop music like justin bieber and any EDM

early hip hop is more political, but it stil electronic music who glamourize thuggerism, gangsterism, braggaddocio and woman-
objectivation.

But is there early political-protest hip hop too.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.