[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain how Rap is good. Use specific musical terminology in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20
File: kanye-west.jpg (67 KB, 1200x799) Image search: [Google]
kanye-west.jpg
67 KB, 1200x799
Explain how Rap is good.
Use specific musical terminology in your response.
I dare you.
>>
dank beats
>>
File: image.jpg (418 KB, 1889x1351) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
418 KB, 1889x1351
Trick question. Rap isn't good.
>>
because it sounds good and in the end, that's all there is to it
>>
this is what a 15 year old trying to sound highly educated would ask
>>
"Does it sound good? Does it feel good? Then It Must be good"
>>
>>63528296
This: >>63528283
is what a 15 year old would say.
>>
great thread
>>
>>63528296
>>63528283
>>
>>63528242
Well he's not good, but there's some good rap

Just gotta dig deeper faggot
>>
>>63528318
>>63528393
Read the OP post again and try again.
>>
Rap is good because it takes lyric orientated music (spoken word, poetry, etc.) and mixes it with electronic music which produces unique timbres.
>>
>>63528477
>unique timbres
Give an example of some unique timbres in Rap.
>>
because I like to listen to it?
>>
>>63528517
>Use specific musical terminology in your response.
>>
>>63528537
they're incapable of analyzing music, they're rap fans after all
>>
>>63528508
I think certain rappers voices have very unique timbres. the cracking and wavering of Danny brown, the urgent and aggressive beastie boys you get it. and when those voices are layered on top of well produced beats that illicit their Own unique sounds it can be nice
>>
>>63528578
>the cracking and wavering of Danny brown, the urgent and aggressive beastie boys you get it. and when those voices are layered on top of well produced beats that illicit their Own unique sounds it can be nice
Are you going to tell me that the voices of rap stars are unique enough from all the past folk, rock, experimental music that it makes them special? Because that seems rather ignorant.
Can you speak for rap in any area OTHER than timbre?
>>
>>63528242
Hip hop is a somewhat limiting genre instrumentally, in the sense that if you throw too much experimentation into it it's no longer considered hip hop. However, it's the only bastion of pathos in mainstream music. To (probably mostly white) people who listen to radio-friendly artists, guys like Kanye and Kendrick seem creative, intellectual, and revolutionary.

That's why people like it, anyway. I can't really explain why it's good because no genre of music is just universally good or anything like that.
>>
For me, because the reliance on lyrics over delivery (although delivery still plays a big part of the rapper's abilities), rapping can be able to convey a more clearer picture of the topics the MC wants to handle, unlike singing where metaphors are used more often due to the lack of words being able to be delivered while still matching a song's rhythm effectively, which can make the singer's message/statement harder to understand while enjoying the musical element of the song, especially if the singer isn't especially discernible.

Rapping can overcome this barrier in vocal driven music of being unable to enjoy the lyrics of a song (due to whatever reason for the listener) by tailoring the lyrical delivery to compliment/match the drum and/or rhythm of a song, as well as allowing more words to be used to communicate a point more clearer, at the expense of vocal harmonies.
>>
>>63528720
But aren't we talking about music? Lyrics are unimportant compared to the compositions.
>>
>>63528616
Sure. Rap is all about setting grooves similar to funk, disco and other dance genres. It's rooted in dance music certainly. But by shifting the focus from the instrumentals to the words, it's more of a literary and cerebral music as opposed to dancier stuff. Not saying that it's genius or anything.
>>
>>63528569
You're an annoying little shit. No one is using specific terminology to analyze rap because no one uses specific terminology to analyze any form of music besides classical, orchestral, and jazz.

You don't need musical training to produce good music or critique it. Rap music doesn't fit the mold of traditional music because it is a form of poetry before music. The lyrical content matters more than the organization of the sounds in the beat and the pitch and tone of the vocals.

If you knew anything about rap, you would know that a beat/instrumentals nothing more than the canvas with which a rapper paints his message. You faggot.
>>
>>63528569
>>63528537
please fuck off dumb jazz and classical fags
>>
File: 1458500355910.jpg (44 KB, 329x399) Image search: [Google]
1458500355910.jpg
44 KB, 329x399
>>63528774
>You don't need musical training to produce good music
>>
>>63528794
>dumb jazz and classical fags
what does that make Rap fags? vegetables?
>>
>>63528774
lmao

booty blasted rap fanboy on suicide watch
>>
Holy christ, we are 20 posts in and still not one hip hop fan has been able to answer OP's question.

Do hip hop fans know what pitch is? Can they recognize notes and chords? Do ANY of them actually play instruments?

This is totally embarrassing
>>
>>63528739
But rapping is a form of lyric delivery and is inherently a part of compositions which require vocals. To say lyrics are not needed in a song that is specifically designed for vocal performances with an emphasis on lyrical ability is a non sequitur.
>>
>>63528841
>To say lyrics are not needed
Where did I say that?
>>
>>63528835
Of course some of us play instruments. Do you?
>>
>>63528739
You are making it clear that you're talking about Rap, so you're talking about the lyricism and vocal deliveries.

Do you mean Hip-Hop, which is the music that most Rap is based over?
>>
>>63528891
Rap involves rhythms and thus the rhythmic interplay between the vocals and the music.
Unless you are willing to admit that that, in and of itself, is a bland form of music?
>>
>>63528739
You must be stupid. That's like weighing a water bottle itself rather than measuring fluid inside it
>>
>>63528774
>Rap music doesn't fit the mold of traditional music because it is a form of poetry before music
>poetry
>before music
Lol, so hip hop fans understand neither literary analysis or musical analysis? Is this what you're telling me? What exactly can they analyze? The "fireness" of the beat? Because they sure as shit know nothing about poetry if they're comparing Crane and Eliot to fucking Jay Z
>>
>>63528891
>Do you mean Hip-Hop, which is the music that most Rap is based over?
good lord, you kids are embarrassing
>>
Rapping is essentially vocally "drumming" over an existing beat in an attempt to create an interesting rhythm. The creativity of the flow, coupled with playfuless of wordplay, and ease of delivery determines the quality of the end product.

Here's an example of it done poorly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niHSDx4Y_zs&t=57s

Here's an example it done well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaIDj6vBEoU&t=7s
>>
>>63528865
Uhhhh, misunderstood your post, it's 3 am where I am.
I guess OP (and you) mean hip-hop with a MC included when talking about rap?

>>63528774
>You don't need musical training to produce good music
Uhhhhhh, not really, but it helps a shit ton.

>a beat/instrumentals nothing more than the canvas with which a rapper paints his message.
An a good hip-hop artist will know to have a beat that compliments their message well, while still being good standalone music right?
>>
>>63528242
It isn't. Some hip-hop is good though when it isn't fake gangsta bollocks or bling shit
>>
>>63528953
Do you know what you're talking about? You just used rap and hiphop interchangeably. If we're talking about rap then we talk about lyrical content and delivery. If you we're talking about hip-hop then we talk about all that other shit.
>>
>>63528930
>>63528961
The music isn't Rap. Rapping is the vocal style/delivery, similar to Death Growls.

Rockists or older people, misuse the word Rap for all Hip Hop music.
>>
>>63529003
>Uhhhhhh, not really, but it helps a shit ton.
I totally agree, but I do think it's funny that RZAs beats have gotten worse as he has learned more about music theory
>>
>>63528977
There's virtually zero difference between the two songs you posted. Both rely on mediocre puns, aggressive posturing, simply and highly repetitive and uncreative rhythms, and lazy and predictable rhyme schemes. If you showed these lyrics to your freshman poetry class you would be laughed in your face. It is poetry, but it's poetry of such mediocre caliber that to call it poetry is to insult actual poets and artists who take time and effort to compose a thought or beautiful image rather than just force out an improvisation which feels confident and catchy.

Admit it, you listen to hip hop for the celebrity of the performer and his stage presence. The actual musical quality means nothing to you

Hip hop once again confirms itself as the most superficial and lazy genre of popular music in existence
>>
>>63528948
What are you talking about
>>
>>63528763
>cerebral

I like rap well enough but I wish people wouldn't qualify it with this word. Rap is just about as anti-intellectual as a medium can be. It's good to get you hyped up. That's about it. It's functional music, in the same way that Stars of the Lid are good to fall asleep to
>>
>>63529064
rap is a genre kinda like how singer/songwriter is a genre
>>
>>63529003
Music training is not necessary. A shitload of rappers have no formal training. Hell a shitload guitar players have no training.

Just because the basketball fucked all the girls you liked in high school doesn't mean you should take it out on their music
>>
>>63529028
No moron, I was quoting another person who used rap and hip hop interchangeably; I understand that the actual act of rapping is not the same thing as the genre of hip hop music. I also understand that rap music is a synonym for hip hop music, and that you are attacking a supposed ignorance of the genre on my part because you are incapable of addressing my argument directly

tl;dr the green arrow quote function is used to quote another person. If you're new to 4chan then try reading up on the site rules and consider not posting on /mu/ because your taste is probably dogshit
>>
Alliteration, rhyming, other shit like that
>>
>>63529151
That's a good point, it's just as cerebral as any other music. Some of it is really intelligent and thought evoking but then there are the bangers n shit. But the same could be said of any genre
>>
>>63529208
Nice MUSICAL TERMINOLOGY
>>63529198
>Hell a shitload guitar players have no training.
If you practice and learn your instrument, that's training you dipshit.
>>
>>63529208
>MUSICAL TERMINOLOGY
>MUSICAL TERMINOLOGY
>ALLITERATION, RHYMING OTHER SHIT LIKE THAT
>MUSICAL TERMINOLOGY
we are 48 posts in folks and still not one poster has been able to answer OP's question. Is it just a coincidence or does hip hop tend to attract morons who know virtually nothing about music?
>>
>>63529115
You don't "get" hip hop, I'm afraid. It'd be like trying to explain Seinfeld to someone who only likes The Matrix and Fight Club.
>>
>>63529198
>a shit load of guitar players have no training
>>>
the mere fact that they play guitar means that they in fact do, retard
>>
>>63529207
>have no argument
>resort to memes and greentext in your "rebuttal"
>get called out on your dumbfuckery
>y-you're a newfag

Lol okay, champ. Your argument is retarded because you still fail to understand that hip-hop and rap are instrincally linked but wholly seperate.
>>
>>63529208
kek'd
>>
>>63529267
The thing is, I understand hip hop on a much deeper level than hip hop fans, which is why I don't like it in the first place.
>>
>>63529267
>I don't have the vocabulary to explain what's good about something that 12 year old girls shake their asses to
>>
>>63529315
>instrincally
>>
>>63529184
Isn't most singer-songwriter really like folk-pop or just pop?

Either way, I wouldn't really consider them genres in a literal sense, more as descriptive words. Things like Endtroducing are definitely hip-hop but there's no rapping.

>>63529266
He asked a poorly worded question; Rap is about lyricism and delivery. Using musical terms to describe what is effectively poetry doesn't work.
>>
>>63529333
>>63529335
FoxAndTheGrapes.jpg
>>
>>63528242
Word play. Surprises with wit and witty jokes. Stop listening to shit rap
>>
>>63529365
>MUSICAL TERMINOLOGY
Learn how to read.
>>
>>63529198
I didn't imply formal musical tuition to be necessary, only that it is a helpful tool. And for rapping, you need no training, only a knowledge of rhyme schemes, vocal delivery and your own sense of flow, which all becomes things a rapper learns inherently with practice.

Learning to apply your knowledge you have to your lyrics is another story.

For guitar players, formal training isn't required, but wouldn't it be better to at least know basic chords, techniques and theory before attempting to create music that requires some knowledge of harmonies and notation?
So while training isn't necessary for music composition, it does help.

(how could a basketball fuck the girls i liked in high school tho)
>>
>>63529315
Please note that in the post you are responding to, there is not a single instance of greentext in the entire post. Please note that my post featured a greater command of the English language and logical reasoning skills than yours did. Please note that this post still has not addressed my argument from two posts ago and its poster probably never will because he knows I'm right. Finally, please note that he speaks as borderline illiterate through the greentext meme because he is a borderline illiterate who can only think in memes.

Hip hop is making you stupider and this post is proof.
>>
>>63529267
>>63529267
Bollocks. Most people don't "get" hip-hop because they are told that trapbling bullshit is hip-hop. Then they hear hip-hop and hear fake gangsta and puff daddy bullshit.
Finding good hip-hop is a pain in the ass
>>
File: lewis.png (457 KB, 608x603) Image search: [Google]
lewis.png
457 KB, 608x603
>>63529198
>Hell a shitload guitar players have no training
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 250x251
What does /mu/ see the overarching impact of 'Braggadocia' being? It really seems to me like the idea of a genre of music set up specifically to dick wave has never happened before in history, at least not on this scale. Will people in the future talk to each other differently because of the way hip hop artists talk in their songs? I wonder if all the I'm-the-best-isms will spill over into the popular lexicon and in the end we'll be a grunting, poo-flinging, planet-sized chimp exhibit
>>
>>63529381
The fifth sonata shifts from a I-V to a IV-V progression complementing the fedora movement supported by the meme choir crescendo which harmonizes with pepe the conductor
>>
>>63529257
>>63529300
Than rappers and MCs are trained too you fucking hypocrites. What, do you imbeciles think rappers got all their skills from smoking blunts all day? Freestyle skill comes from practice, battles, and other rap avenues.

The real problem is racism, but since this is 4chan I'm gonna get called an SJW dindu apologizer.

The bottom line is that you're using the wrong stick to measure rap and you know it, but you faggots are too far up your own asses to realize it.
>>
>>63529436
It's fucking atrocious and why, as I said here >>63529431 that good rap and hip-hop is so difficult to find.

Most of these cunts seem like insecure little faggots who have to make entire albums about how great they are just to justify their own existance to themselves.
>>
>>63529436
>It really seems to me like the idea of a genre of music set up specifically to dick wave has never happened before in history
1. Trobadour Songs in Medieval times were basically "Here's all the shit this ruler guy does, isn't he great" and the onslaught of virtuoso "composers" in the Romantic era were pretty much just dick wavers.
>>
>>63529474
>The real problem is racism
Expand on this point, because I'd love to hear you say that the only reason people think Rap is boring, MUSICALLY (READ: MUSICALLY) is that they're black MC's.
>>
>>63529470
well meme'd m8
>>
>>63529474
has to be bait
>>
I mean, "rap" isn't good. Some rap is good, some is bad.

The only two styles of rapping I find appealing are straight up JCole r&b fusion, where the bars are actually melodic and half-sung, and then on the complete other side of the spectrum when the delivery is very off-kilter, akin to vocal jazz.

Everything in between is honestly lame as shit. If I have to listen to another song played by my friends saying how "hard" it is and how he "goes in" I might end it. Who gives a shit how intense it is if it doesn't even sound good.
>>
>>63529474
>The real problem is racism
lmao I'm surprised it took this long for somebody to pull the race card. We are now at 75 posts still not one poster has answered OP's question
>>
>>63529480
I'm pretty sure Bach was way into assplay like Kanye as well.
>>
>>63529531
Well put. Honesty I got into hip hop through the genres it influenced (instrumental hip hop mostly) so for me 99% of what makes a good rap album is its production. Who gives a shit how many bands you have if all your songs sound the same. Looking at you future. Good fucking God, mix it up wouldn't you? If I have to hear another needly high hat I might get violent
>>
>>63529627
That was Mozart
>>
>>63529474
this retard is obviously from ktt or some shit. why do y'all even come here?
>>
>>63529616
>not one poster has answered OP's question
read >>63529357

it's either a trick question because it can't be done, or OP is mad stupid and doesn't realize that rap isn't hip-hop. In which case, who cares, he's a dense pleb.
>>
>>63529423
I'm the same fucking guy you originally replied to you retard. Come up with a criticism so I can logically rape your bitch ass.

The only semi-valid point you made in your post was that rap isn't poetry. Which is actually an arguable point, but saying that alone does not contradict what I said about lyrical content being the most important aspect of rap.

You gotta address my point before I address yours. And purple prose doesn't make you like smarter. It makes you look like a wannabe academic
>>
Hip hop is all about rhythm, much like EDM. It's essentially just rhythmic spoken word over percussive loops. It's 'good' if you find that enjoyable, it's bad if you don't. I don't like it that much because of the lame lyrics and boastful culture, but when you find rappers that rap actual poetry, like Vast Aire does on the song 'Pigeon', then that makes for some really enjoyable hip-hop.
>>
>>63529627
bach was a very religious man and wasn't famous during his lifetime so was a pretty humble and restrained guy

his music speaks for itself really when it's gone from obscurity lying in someone's library to selling out concert halls world wide for decades now purely on the merit of the music
>>
>>63529790
>hip hop is all about rhythm

Still don't get how people don't understand this. I'm >>63529531, when anyone wants to be rec'd some hip hop, I always go for that which has the inexplicable quality of making you NEED to move. Stand up, shake, do SOMETHING. That's usually where you find the great hip hop.
>>
>>63529512
Rap should be judged using the same criteria most other forms of music because it just doesn't those criteria cannot measure the cultural influence of black people on the genre.

You're trying to use quantitative means to asses something which is qualitative.
>>
>>63529869
should not be judged.

does not fit the criteria
I didnt spell check
>>
>>63529869
>not knowing what 'quantitative' means
>>
>>63528242

>> use specific music terminology

this is the problem . classical music douches like to get high and mighty about their bach and mozart, and talk about harmony and ochestration

people just want to feel an emotion when they listen to music, not have a lesson in music theory

rap is simple enough yet versatile enough to convey lots of different emotions

also the fact that its spoken tickles the human appreciation for wit
>>
>>63529981
I do know what it means and it's same priniciple as objective and subjective.

You want music that can be analyzed using established more objective musical jargon, but rap requires one to be more subjective to criticise.

You're doing the equivalent of telling someone that their feelings make no logical sense. And if you ever touched a woman you should understand that's just not how things work.
>>
>>63530110
Nah, quantitative refers to quantities of something, i.e. numbers. musical terminology or not, both are qualitative. I know what you're saying, I'm just nit picking. I'm a different anon btw
>>
>>63530110
>You want music that can be analyzed using established more objective musical jargon, but rap requires one to be more subjective to criticise.
I'm sorry but are you retarded
What's your background in music?
>>
>>63530216
I listen to music for fun. You should try it. Credentialism isnt gonna help you here.
>>
>>63530279
>I listen to music for fun.
So you're saying you have no support for the bullshit you're spewing?
>>
Rap is a musically simple genre, it's enjoyed on visceral level. If its appeal isn't obvious to you then what is a string of pointless musical terminology going to prove? It's like asking someone to tell you why they think cheese tastes nice. Idk faggot, it just does.
>>
>>63530326
I've provided the same amount of evidence as you. A degree in uselessness isnt evidence.

>>63530387
this guy gets it
>>
>>63528835
I've noticed my friend that only likes raps refuses to listen to anything with instruments in it
>>
File: 1457234211460.jpg (83 KB, 330x367) Image search: [Google]
1457234211460.jpg
83 KB, 330x367
>>63530426
>A degree in uselessness isnt evidence.
I've made no claims, I just asked posters to explain how Rap is good in musical terminology.
>>
>>63530326
Music isn't enjoyed on a purely cognitive level, is it? People need to let go of the retarded notion that if a genre or someone's taste can't be articulated, then it's invalid. This is how emotionless husks think.
>>
>>63530434
Maybe he doesn't like those other things. Why would he listen to things he doesn't like? Do you listen to things you don't like, anon? I sure hope not or else you're just a poser.
>>
>>63530477
maybe he's a pleb
>>
>>63528242
the truth is:
>>
>>63530477
no, he's a pleb that only listens to mindless shitty music that takes no musical talent
>>
>>63530387
Exactly. Rap is a primitive form of entertainment for underdeveloped apes
>>
>>63530460
>People need to let go of the retarded notion that if a genre or someone's taste can't be articulated, then it's invalid.
"I think global warming is a hoax."
"Why do you think that?"
"Hey my opinion is just as valid as yours, even if I don't explain it!"
>>
>>63530458
You don't have make any claims for me tell where you were going with that question. I have this thing called intuition.

It helps me navigate the social world and pick up on the subtles cues and emotions present in rap music which so clearly elude you.
>>
>>63530573
>You don't have make any claims for me tell where you were going with that question
I wasn't "going" anywhere, maybe you should check those cues. I was curious what rap fans had to say.
>>
>>63530555
>implying that's a prerequisite for good music

How many times do we have to go over this point? You're like one of those retards who says, ''Modern art takes no talent! I could have done that!" Yeah, well, you didn't. So shut the fuck up.
>>
>>63528242
Oh boy, here we go again. Another pretentious pseudo intellectual fuckwit trying to sound cultured on fucking 4chan.
>>
YALL ARE TRAPPED IN INVISIBLE PRISONS OF THE MIND AND EGO

RAP DOES NOT NEED TO PROVE ITSELF TO YOU, KANYE DOES NOT NEED TO PROVE HIMSELF TO YOU

PEOPLE THOUGH PICASSO WAS A HACK AND NOW HE'S A LEGEND, ITS ALL IMAGING AND MENTAL TRICKERY

JUST LIKE WITH MY FASHION AND MY MUSIC
>>
>>63530571
Did you really just compare climate change to music taste? Jesus wept, you're more brain dead than I thought
>>
>>63530571
That is not the logical equivalent of what he said.

How is "I like rap music because it sounds good to me and connects with on an emotional level" equivalent to "global is not real?"

I'll wait.
>>
>>63530608
I didn't do it because i'm not a retarded pleb who likes to create things that take no talent. I'd rather work really hard and create something good instead of something like for example a rap song which takes no musical talent and any monkey could do it
>>
>>63530539

i am not explainin why its 'good', if you understand why teens and a bunch of people likes trend songs like EDM-Pitbull and Electrop-Rap like Flo Rida and Black Eyed Peas, you'll undestand why people actually likes rap, and some of these rappers only exist on internet forums and white indie socialist music blogs full of underages and vague people.

It's pop music.
>>
>>63530635
PEOPLE EXPECT MORE FROM RAP MUSIC AND IT IS RACIST TO ME HONESTLY

CANT JUST MAKE MUSIC, NO NO NO YOU GOTTA ACT HOW WE WANT YOU TO ACT

CAUSE WE DON'T LIKE HOW YOU ACT
CAUSE WE DON'T LIKE YOU
>>
>>63530599
Well now you're just lying. You asked for my credentials for what reason then? A background in music wouldn't have changed anything I said.
>>
>>63530460
You need to let go of this retarded notion that if someone is smarter, better educated, and more articulate than you then they are emotionless husks. Those people are the ones who get the most emotion and "fun" out of music, far more than you can even imagine.
>>
>>63530677
yeah and you could spend years writing your magnum opus and it would still be shitter and of less artistic value than most hip hop
>>
>>63530747
No one has more fun than rappers. I can promise you.
>>
>>63530787
they're pretty fucking boring though
>>
>>63530747
Way to completely sidestep the point I made. If someone's better educated and more articulate than me it gives them the right to assert that music is a purely intellectual exercise? However articulately you make that assertion, you're a retarded. Maybe you're not the smarter one after all.
>>
>120 posts
>30 posters
>all are faggots, including me
>>
>>63530787
There is more to life than doing drugs and fucking like rabbits. Anyone can enjoy that but rappers aren't even capable of experiencing the higher pleasures.
>>
that's kind a reflection of the glamour that only the MC getting the credit for the whole music process that put him on the spotlight. Kendrick Lamar for exemple, did not make the whole to pimp a butterfly.... he needs to thanks Thundercat... etc, Kanye West did make his whole hits and good few albums he need to thanks the artists the made the songs that he ripped/sampled. and the actual creators producers of his songs.

This hurts hip hop credibility. The Roots are a respectable band cause theyre the makers.
>>
>>63528977
RIP in peace phife dawg
>>
Mile Davis could be considered a "genius", not Kendrick lamar, Aphex Twin not Kanye west.
>>
Well ask yourself what makes any music good. Why is Court of the Crimson King a better album than 1989? Is it? By what measure is one better than the other?

I don't mean to imply that no music better than others, there are definitely albums that are good and bad.
>>
>>63530880
Are you saying Aphex twin couldn't be considered a music genius? What are you saying
>>
THE COLOR GREEN IS BETTER

NO I LIKE RED

> : (

>THIS THREAD

Besides, if any of you knew anything about art, you would know that the artists intent is completely irrelevant to the end piece. Art lives and dies by the reaction it gets from the patrons, there is literally no other metric for judging actual quality. This is pretty basic art theory stuff, do they not cover this at the Academies you all went to?
>>
>>63530944
Aphex is, not Kanye.
>>
>>63530880
Why not Kendrick? His lyrics are very powerful and emotional, and his his beats and instruments are arranged well. I don't think anyone else is making music like him right now, and definitely no one else is making that type of music popular except Kendrick.
>>
>>63530971
Oh the way you worded it kinda confused me
>>
>>63530971
Nah, Kanye totally is. Aphex is overrated AF. Especially SAW
>>
>>63530846
Dumb people are legitimately the happiest because they live with abandon. The 'higher pleasures' thing is complete bullshit and I'd like to see a source, if there is one, about smart people experiencing more concentrated happiness. I think it's the opposite. To quote Nirvana

>I think I'm dumb
>or maybe just happy
>>
>>63530983
He's saying he doesn't make the beats, even if he's a great lyricist, the music is just as important if not more
>>
>>63530983
hes not making the ebats and the instrumentation, hes just the raps.

that's the thing, hes just a good rapper, good a his lane.
>>
>>63530983
lol why do I have listen about americans talking about powerful lyrics. you're so fucking tasteless. no one cares you fucked up a bunch of black people with slavery, deeming them to be great poets is a ridiculous pity prize
>>
>>63528283
This. If you enjoy music then it's good end of discussion. Doesn't have to be specific terminology to back it up, music is entirely subjective.
>>
>>63530839
Educated people recognize that the distinction between the intellectual/emotional is silly. If something is lacking in intellectual value then it doesn't have much emotional value either. The purely sensational pleasure that you might get out of a rap song is also present in art music, only there it's merely a small part of something much richer whereas in the rap song the sensational pleasure is all there is. Art music does everything that rap does and way more.
>>
>>63531016
SAW is overrated, Aphex is underrated (on /mu/)
>>
>>63531031

>ebats
*beats
>>
>>63531016
lmao
>>
>>63528704
Yeezus is not radio-friendly at all
>>
>>63528242
SHIT SLAPS SENPAI
>>
>>63531016
>Nah, Kanye totally is
My sides
>>
>>63531067
>>63531102
It's true, though. Even BoC and Autechre are less overrated than RDJ.
>>
>>63531016

no, hes not, hes ultra super mega overrated.
Aphex a billion times better musician a beat maker than Kanye West (alone) *not with the like 29387829 producers and mixers helping him make those Stronger's
>>
>>63531053
thats one of the stupidest things I have ever read. You can learn an amazing amount by the human condition by not being a fucking faggot and trying to judge everything. Does the obsession with comforts and escapism in rap music, and its popularity, not tell you anything deep about the human nature and condition? You are simply not going deep enough, or do not understand Art.
>>
>>63531022
You are a dumb person so any attempt to explain the higher pleasures in life to you would be a waste of my time. Enjoy your life of abandon, I mean it because that's all you have.
>>
File: 1448062818145.png (37 KB, 220x230) Image search: [Google]
1448062818145.png
37 KB, 220x230
>>63531139
>le watered down ambient IDM music
>good

Cum 2 daidy, amirite?
>>
Not saying aphex makes absolutely incredible music, but he a better musician than people like Kanye. Hes skilled. Kanye needs to fit in with the trends of hip hop to keep with his fame, fans even if hes falling off.
>>
>>63531053
>>63531053
No one is comparing rap to art music, though, dickhead. art music's relative merits don't invalidate rap.
>if something lacks intellectual value it also lacks emotional value
completely untrue. Human beings regularly experience deep moments of transcendental emotion over pathetically meaningless things. Music is no exception there.
>>
>>63531129
Anything you say is automatically invalid after that post. Sorry sir, can't take you serious
>>
>>63531139
>>63531206
why are you arguing with obvious trolls?
>>
>>63531209
>Human beings regularly experience deep moments of transcendental emotion over pathetically meaningless things
No they don't. It just appears to them that way when in reality the emotions they experience are quite banal.
>>
>>63531201
Just saying that Aphex is a better musician than Kanye.

Kevin Parker is too. Just imagine if Kanye just had a career with albums 96% produced only by him...

Could be "808&Heartbreak" average level.
>>
>>63531179
I don't live a life of joy and abandon, you fucking faggot, I'm browsing a Chinese sewing forum at 3am. I'm just telling you you're thinking wishfully that dumb people live less enriched lives than you because it makes you feel better about yourself. Stupid people are literally happier because they don't calculate risk as much, and therefore suffer less anxiety. Unless you can prove to me that smart people experience more intense happiness (which you can't, and which they almost certainly don't) then stop acting like the things you say are self-evident
>>
>>63531252
when i sent this i did expect her/his post
>>
>>63531154
That's one of the stupidest things I have ever read. There is nothing deep about the human condition. Humans are weak pathetic animals who blindly go through life doing stupid shit like listening to rap and then they die.
>>
rap is bad
>>
>>63531309
Fuck off montie, at least articulate something
>>
>>63531257
That's what I'm saying. Emotions are banal if absent an intellectual impetus, so we're in agreement that the distinction does stand. Now fuck off.
>>
there is hardly any objectivity in music
>>
>>63531305
And most of them think they are better than everyone else :)
>>
>>63531309
what up Mont

>implying you're ever wrong
>>
>>63531283
You are quite dumb if you think happiness is something that can be measured and put on a scale. It's not a competition. It's a simple fact that intelligent people are capable of experiencing far more things than stupid people can. Sure stupid people often lead happy lives but their happiness is like that of a cow.
>>
>>63531356
cows got it figured out man, eat a bunch of food and then die, sound bretty gud
>>
>>63531283
they feel nothing in the presence of greatness. they're emotional and intellectual amoebas. they cry when their sports team loses. they laugh when they hear a bad joke. there's nothing refined, interesting or beautiful about them
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stendhal_syndrome
>>
File: Kanyewest_collegedropout.jpg (58 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Kanyewest_collegedropout.jpg
58 KB, 300x300
>>63531270
100% written and produced by Kanye West. One of the best albums of all time imo
>>
File: 1458697522879.jpg (19 KB, 500x451) Image search: [Google]
1458697522879.jpg
19 KB, 500x451
>>63531305
>there is nothing deep about the human condition

If you honestly believe that you're either God, a robot, or stupid. so which one is it?
>>
all this neckbeard fedora ITT.....
>>
>>63531408
holy shit lel

KTT is calling you
>>
>>63531376
If you want to spend your days fighting off flies while shitting in a field then nobody is stopping you. The only reason dumb people can be happy today is because those more intelligent than them have contributed to scientific and cultural progress.
>>
>>63531356
Thing is, I seriously wish I was dumb. The dumb people I know get laid, have tons of friends and are totally content with their lives. Myself and my smart friends all have anxiety, bouts of depression and annoyingly high-stress jobs. Any joys of intellectual pursuits that you're referring to aren't worth shit. You keep telling yourself that though.
>>
File: F8VuQ.gif (468 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
F8VuQ.gif
468 KB, 500x282
>>63531408
>One of the best albums of all time imo

>you share a board with people who have this opinion
>>
>>63531493
Don't compare yourself to me you pathetic beta male. You are not my intellectual equal.
>>
>>63531471
historically, dumb people have been the ones contributing to cultural progress
>>
>>63531493
Being dumb is easy. Just stop thinking about shit and do it. You don't have to be dumb to have more fun, you just have to act dumb.

The smartest thing I ever did in my life was learn how to play dumb.
>>
>>63531456
>>63531499
He's right tho. And Kanye manages to make a phenomenal album without the use of shock-memes.

>implying le scawy face on le bikini woman body artist is good
>>
>ctlr + f racism
>10 matches
Jesus fuck /mu/mblr, OP asked a fair question.
>>
>>63531576
No he didnt
>>
>>63531599
Why?
>>
>>63531527
Thing is, truly smart people are humble and self-aware. You quite obviously overestimate your own intelligence and have a superiority complex, probably a defence mechanism from how badly you were bullied in school because retreating into your 'I'm smarter than them' safe space helped you cope. You're a fucking loser who spends his days on 4chan, get a grip and face reality.
>>
>>63531569
lel xD dank af memes
>>
>>63531627
>Thing is, truly smart people are humble and self-aware.
Not really, smart people have low tolerance not only for ignorance but for other smart people who think differently.
>>
>>63531617
The emphasis on musical terminology rigs the game against anyone who plays, because rap is a visceral pleasure and not an intellectual one. These aspies refuse to accept that because of their supreme level of self-declared intelligence, though.
>>
>>63531627
Self-aware, yes but humility has nothing to do with intelligence. Being needlessly humble and self-effacing is actually really unhealthy.
>>
>>63531678
If you were to replace "smart people" with "your average internet user" , how sad
>>
>>63531678
The Dunning-Kruger effect suggests that smart people are humble about the limits of their own intelligence. "I am the smartest guy here!" usually reflects arrogance rather than genuine intellect.
>>
>>63531703
that actually answers the question OP asked. Good job
>>
>>63531729
Have you ever sat in a room full of scientists? They all bend over backwards to humbly make their point and put forth their own areas of ignorance at all times. Anyone who self-proclaims or even implies the superiority of their intellect is usually just an autist.
>>
>>63531703
This is fucking pathetic, not only because you're saying the works of people like RZA, Pete Rock, NAS, Q-tip, Jdilla, 2pac have no intellectual merit, but you're setting your ignorance as the standard for everyone.

Visceral pleasure my ass, eat shit.

>>63531744
>implying smart people aren't arrogant
>>
>>63531780
This is not a room full of scientists m8. You think people ought to be humble on anonymous imageboards of all things?
>>
>>63531744
this is pretty much right, theres that old Socrates story about this
>>
>>63531798
>>63531798
Not no intellectual merit, but certainly very little. There's nothing more cringe than people over-intellectualising rap, but I'd love to hear you try to explain what's intellectually stimulating to you about Nas. I'm overdue a good laugh.
>>
>>63531327
Rap rhymes with CRAP for a reason-it is a band built around the latest social issue and the latest meme in music-there is no single album rap fans can point to as being the most influential.
>>
>>63531874

>There's nothing more cringe than people over-intellectualising rap
specially when the subject matter is Young Thug lingo and Future syrup moams.
>>
>>63531678
No not really. The smartest people are the quiet ones.

You seem to believe that intellectuals are also egotists as well.
>>
>>63531834
Nah, I'm saying humility is in indicator for intelligence, in response to the anon who keeps insisting how much smarter he is than me as if that automatically invalidates whatever I say. People who hold that mode of thinking are usually much dumber than they realise.
>>
like .... "thats cool, thats indie, so potentially readers-followers attraction, click-bait" "i wanna be" etc. / like this is the marginalised side etc, sometimes i just think this just the record labels paying to these writers, and this is it....

but i'll not choose Vampire Weekend over some raps acts......
>>
>>63531798
Smart people are quietly arrogant, unless they suffer from Asperger's syndrome and feel the need to declare it
>>
File: 2rmpl35.jpg (60 KB, 680x433) Image search: [Google]
2rmpl35.jpg
60 KB, 680x433
What i'm getting out of this whole thread is that snobbish people are trying to compare rappers to people that play literal instruments and making the suggestion that since most people who listen to rap care alot more about the lyrics than the beat, there is something inherently inferior about rap. Which doesn't make any logical sense.

Also, people that say good rap is hard to find and that all rap is just money, women, drugs: That's literally what modern music boils down to. And finding what appeals to you is not going to be as easy as listening to whatever the fuck /mu/ says. Why people even talk about rap on here when they don't know anything about it baffles me.
>>
>>63531944
I'm that anon and I'm laughing at how stupid you are. Humility has fuck all to do with intelligence, if you had actually been around intelligent people in informal settings you'd know that.

Scientist doing their jobs is a completely different story. There is this thing called context you see.
>>
bet you're one of those nerdy white guys that listen to obscure classical songs and think every genre and artist besides the ones that you listen to are bad and somehow lack knowledge of music theory

you will never produce something to the level of the greatest hip-hop artists
>>
>>63532017
you know more about it than all of us huh
>>
>>63532047

>you will never produce something to the level of the greatest hip-hop artists

^ the hardest job of all time, look
>>
>>63531874

There is an intellectual merit first of all production wise, mixing, sampling requires at good understanding of music theory. You don't have a bunch of apes pressing buttons and making sounds, there is some thought put in the sound making, that alone proves my point.

And then is the rapping, there are some rappers who deliver thrash, but there is others who attempt to make a reflection of the socioeconomic context they were living, now of course this people didn't spend their youth reading schopenhauer they come from the work class so naturally their thoughts will be delivered in a with a poor vocabulary, and this could apply to other genres as well, compare the Beatles to Emerson, Lake and Palmer.
>>
File: 1457053972277.jpg (215 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
1457053972277.jpg
215 KB, 1920x1440
>>63532057
Enough to appreciate that it's meaningful art. Enough to know that it's no different than other forms of music in the general sense.
>>
https://youtu.be/2RpkXyhbMLA?t=203

J Dilla's recreation of a Bach song
>>
>>63532108
You talk hot, but i hope your taste in rap isn't as shit as your taste in women
>>
>>63532043
>Humility has fuck all to do with intelligence

Are you intelligent enough to see how frequently I've referenced the Dunning-Kruger effect, literal scientific evidence that humility and intelligence have a positive correlation? It's awesome how beautifully you're proving the inverse.
>>
>>63532103
>making hip hop beats requires knowledge of musical theory

A billion keks
>>
>>63529115
>It is poetry, but it's poetry of such mediocre caliber

every /lit/ retard says this yet some rappers have a larger vocabulary than some of the greatest poets.

rap is far greater than the poetry you speak of because it's far more complex and technical
>>
>>63528242
It's not.
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-06+at+09.12.40).jpg (32 KB, 243x231) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-06+at+09.12.40).jpg
32 KB, 243x231
>mfw this thread
>>
>>63532043
Humility has a lot to do with intelligence. I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your IQ iover 100 so you can be one of the smarties.

An anon with such a high IQ should be knowledgable to the multiple forms of intelligence which go beyond IQ. Clearly whatever you have in IQ, you are missing in SI and EQ. Social Intelligence and Emotional Intelligence measure your ability in social probelm solving and emotional problem.

Humility is a skill that people with Social Intelligence have because they know that bragging about how much smarter and better you are than everybody makes you look like a complete dipshit regardless of your actual IQ.
>>
File: 1454943502136.jpg (86 KB, 1080x1271) Image search: [Google]
1454943502136.jpg
86 KB, 1080x1271
>>63532138
I've got a wide appetite
>>
>>63532149
I'm intelligent enough to recognize an idiot when I see one. Misunderstanding the Dunning-Krugger effect is one of the most common signs of an idiot on the internet.
>>
>>63532103
>sampling requires at good understanding of music theory
jesus christ really?
>>
I THINK THE RHYTHMIC INTRICACIES OF (SOME) RAP MUSIC VOCALS ARE UNIQUE TO THE GENRE AND ARE RESULTANTLY QUITE INNOVATIVE

Apologies for the caps, but I wanted to get at least one other person's attention. Other than rhythm, I can't think of any specific musical terminology to defend the entire genre of rap music. It's a very diverse genre! The musical content of one song to the next can be drastically different; the only true thing connecting one rap song to the next is the vocals delivered with specific rhythmic intention.
>>
>>63532211
Who is that?
>>
>>63532250
*the spoken vocals delivered with specific rhythmic intention
>>
>>63532208
Or maybe I'm just so fucking socially and emotionally intelligent that I recognize that nothing I say here matters and I can be a dick all I want because it's a shitposting thread on a chinese cartoon website.
>>
>>63528242
>Explain how Rap is good.
>Use specific musical terminology in your response.

Oh so if you can't use musical terminology to define a genre it means it isn't good? Kill yourself. I'm surprising you got this many replies
>>
File: 1454550264453.jpg (815 KB, 1988x3000) Image search: [Google]
1454550264453.jpg
815 KB, 1988x3000
>>63532256
Instagram chick
>>
>>63532213
I misrepresented it then but part of the findings are that highly skilled persons recognise the limitations of their skill, and that extends to intellect and expertise. Also, as the other anon said, it takes a measure of social intelligence to understand how pathetic it is to declare how smart you are. Something you obviously lack.
>>
>>63531223
you're so stupid, you obviously know nothing about music if you hate on kanye
>>
>>63532215
he's right. You don't have to study something to understand how to use it.
>>
>>63532325
If this isn't b8 i'd advise killing yourself
>>
>>63532288
then you're probably a shitty person.
>>
>>63532362
this isn't b8, your opinion is more likely to be considered b8 than mine. if you honestly think kanye isn't talented then you are just deaf
>>
>>63532215
Lmao, it's not true in the slightest. I once thought Tyler the Creator was an interesting producer because he was using 9th chords At strange intervals. Turns out he was just using an auto-chord setting on garage band.
>>
>>63531569
I love hip-hop and aphex twin so much. Idiots like you who resort to shit like "le xd maymay" need to fucking die. I hope you get hit by a car or get cancer.
>>
>>63532176
Explain how this isn't true? Hip-hop producers usually play multiple instruments and have a vast knowledge of music in general
>>
>>63532370
>get owned
>"then you're probably a shitty person"
>being this autistic
>>
>>63532402
You have to be over 18 to post here you damn retard
>>
>>63532288
Which goes back to where this all started, you claiming your superiority over me and implying that you're an alpha etc. No one who shitposts on /mu/ is succeeding at life
>>
>>63532402
>>63532325
look at this silly little kanye fanboy.

y'all crack me up
>>
>>63531703
>because rap is a visceral pleasure and not an intellectual one.
I too like to pull out my opinions from my ass and state them as a credible observation or fact
>>
Rap is just mumbling stupid babble onto a simple beat, nothing that's even decent enough to pass as "music". This shitty low-life of an industry doesn't even take the intellect or the talent to go in, with shitty excuses of musicians called "rappers" who are too fucking stupid to read even a simple fucking book. People who listen to rap are dumb sheeps who want to listen to anything the media gives them like the fucking idiots they are.

This goes along with today's music in general. Nothing good ever comes out of today's music, and can't even compare to the music of the 60's to the 90's. All of today's music is just utter garbage and stupid negroid babble, while the low-IQ'ed idiots listen to this fake excuse of a genre. Go fuck yourselves if you like this type of unintelligent rubbish.
>>
>>63532442
Taking loops from records, chopping them up and splicing them over a drum machine requires no knowledge of music theory whatsoever, and is literally what they do. I'm not saying it takes no talent. If they play instruments as well, great but it doesn't mean anything. I've been playing guitar on and off for ten years and I have very little knowledge of theory.
>>
>>63532576
What would you call knowledge of music theory then?
>>
>>63532524
I'm just saying these guys are trying to frame it solely in intellectual terms which misses the point. Hip hop is literally just braggadocio, boastful lyrics and simple beats. It's hardly the most intellectual form of art, is it?
>>
>>63532528
>Rap is just mumbling stupid babble onto a simple beat
Like the millions of rock artists and scream or moan over some chords

>nothing that's even decent enough to pass as "music".
Uneducated opinion

>This shitty low-life of an industry doesn't even take the intellect or the talent to go in, with shitty excuses of musicians called "rappers" who are too fucking stupid to read even a simple fucking book
Yea industries are shit. But since when do you need an IQ test to create music? Neck yourself kid. Not to mention your book accusation was fresh from out of your ass.

>People who listen to rap are dumb sheeps who want to listen to anything the media gives them like the fucking idiots they are.
Sounds more like your friends and peers don't appreciate your rockism and you're resorting to bashing a genre of music you don't resonate with because your autism is off the charts

>This goes along with today's music in general. Nothing good ever comes out of today's music, and can't even compare to the music of the 60's to the 90's. All of today's music is just utter garbage
>m-m-m-muh wrong generation!

>while the low-IQ'ed idiots listen to this fake excuse of a genre. Go fuck yourselves if you like this type of unintelligent rubbish.
>music is supposed to have an intelligence threshold
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Seriously go play hopscotch in traffic you mongoloid
>>
>>63532124
Do you really think that this will pass for good music you brainwashed little shit? This person that you listen to just makes pure shit compared to the artistic legends that of the Beatles. This little shit doesn't even deserve the respect he has.

>>63532292
Keep dismissing the truth that you will always be a brainwashed sheep to your shitty excuse of music.
>>
>>63532629
>Hip hop is literally just braggadocio, boastful lyrics and simple beats
>All of HipHop is those 2 Kanye songs I've heard

I mean hey I'd love to judge genres by its top 3 artists or something but I'm not dumb enough to actually do that
>>
>>63532630
damn.. someone got buttmad
>>
>>63532614
Knowledge of the theory.. I don't know how else to put it. If someone said they knew theory id assume they know scales, modes, chords, the circle of fifths etc
>>
>>63532630
Kill yourself you uneducated butthurt piece of fucking shit keep listening to your stupid babble-noise
>>
the autism on this thread is too real...
>>
File: 1418851265760.jpg (212 KB, 1268x1695) Image search: [Google]
1418851265760.jpg
212 KB, 1268x1695
>>63532677
>>63532528
>>63532629
>>63532576
According to guys like these all popular forms of music should be stopped immediately and replaced with STRICTLY INTELLIGENT MUSIC

No more Rap, Pop, Rock, EDM and all that.

Only Classical, Field Recordings of Ice melting, Stephen Hawking's vocal chords over a bassline, audiobooks of shakespeare and Total Biscuit podcasts are allowed on the radio.
>>
>>63532662
In African cultures men break out into public displays of spoken-word boasting to try to out-do each other. This formed the basis for rapping in hip-hop and developed into the modern form we know today. The vast majority of rap still conforms to those basic elements. Remember, 'conscious' rap =/= rap.
>>
>>63532685
The best in hip-hop have knowledge of theory and apply it. I'm not talking about your average trap producer but the best like Dilla and Madlib.
>>
>>63532747
Keep acting like the ignorant brainwashed idiot that you are, you stupid unintellectual imbecile.
>>
>>63532750
I like hip-hop, but I'm not going to try to claim it's an intellectual art like the rest of these try-hards
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.