[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>music taste is subjective
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 1455855966259.png (230 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1455855966259.png
230 KB, 640x360
>music taste is subjective
>>
How is it not?
>>
>>63526041
You're a retard, that's for sure
>>
take out music and it sounds even more retarded
>taste is subjective
someone post this to /ck/
>>
>>63526041
That's a contradictory statement, fuckwit.
>>
>>63526041
not yours though, it's objectively shit.
>>
File: madkek.jpg (5 KB, 164x158) Image search: [Google]
madkek.jpg
5 KB, 164x158
>>
There are things about music that you can identify and categorize objectively. But in general, to place a value on any one of those things that you can perceive is based on a subjective criteria.

for instance, you can recognize if a singer is singing right on pitch or not. Or if they are employing vibrato in a rhythm coherent to the tempo of the tune. But then to take those observations and using that say if the singer is "good" or not is subjective.

To say music taste is objective, must first point out what is the objective standards of "good" that a tune has to match.
>>
If music were objective we'd be able to train musical geniuses.
>>
>>63526425
I'd say a singer is a bad example to use. A competent singer is a good vocalist. "Interesting" or "pleasing" is a better term to use than "good" in this case. We can recognize a vocalist is good, it just doesn't necessarily mean we like them or find them interesting.
>>
>>63526425
Right. You can tell if someone is good at using their instrument, but whether you like a song or not is entirely subjective.
>>
>>63526041
are you autistic? this is a bait?
>>
>>63526041
Do you know what the word "taste" means?
>>
It is, but every time that is brought up, I just bring up then let's just not even talk about it at all.

I usually say that we all want to talk about music and our tastes, so let's collectively pretend that there is an objectivity to taste, because that's the only way we can productively talk about any music's merits.

Usually it leads to good talks irl
>>
>music
>>
op quit trying to convince yourself it's ok to be a rymdrone
>>
>>63526041
someone i know argued this when he was surprised that i hated kanye west
>be him spending the whole day bringing up kanye west after tlop drops (into the toilet)
>i say "kanye fucking sucks to be honest familia"
>"what? kanye west is objectively a great artist and is one of the greatest voices of the current generation" he replied
>i reply "art is very subjective though, you can like whoever you want, but i can't stand him and i think he's a hack"
>he asserts "you don't honestly think ALL art is subjective?"
>"it must be if you believe he's a good musician" i replied humorously
i think he might be still mad
he's also a neo-/mu/tant and r/hhh crossposter and it's my fault for introducing him to this fuckhole
>>
>>63526351
>calls OP a retard
>has a peppa pig MLG cancer meme
ok.
>>
>>63526041
There is both subjectivity and objectivity in any form of art. Music is no different.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.