[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Noisia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (103 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
103 KB, 1280x720
So, I was thinking…you guys remember Noisia? I know they have EDM elements, but they also predate EDM (since, after all, Skrillex's infamous "bass wobble" came from trying to copy Noisia).

Obviously they are bass music, they definitely do have some blatantly EDM songs, but are they an EDM band, or do they successfully avert that (like Justice or Daft Punk)?

One of their albums for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ngvn-trL2Y&index=1

I'm kind of asking because I re-listened to a few tracks off this album recently, and I was kind of surprised that so many of the tracks were hip-hop, as opposed to straight up EDM music.
>>
>>63512712
Oh yeah, woops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ngvn-trL2Y&index=1&list=PLyzkYCzyK0dGSGihw_2ssHqvCovq6CRea&ab_channel=IAMLEGIONMUSIC

Though this album is apparently a collaboration they did with Foreign Beggars? Forgot about that.
>>
>>63512712
>Skrillex's infamous "bass wobble" came from trying to copy Noisia
what the fuck
>>
>>63512772
"I was just copying Noisia's sound at first, their synthesis. I would hear their sounds and go "fuck, how the fuck do they do that?" I would try to make their sounds, and then it turned into its own sound itself, within [Native Instruments] FM8, which is what I was using for my best growly sounds. It turned into its own thing because I was trying to do something else, but that's all part of the fun, accidental, experimental thing with music, where you A-B something to death and suddenly it becomes your own thing."

https://www.izotope.com/en/community/artists/recording-artists/skrillex/

Yep. It's true.
>>
I think Noisia is one of those groups that people listen to before they jump down the rabbit hole of electronic music, kinda like a diet Amon Tobin. Split the Atom still fucking slays though, you ever listen to Phace and Misanthrop? Very similar stuff and they collab a lot
http://youtube.com/watch?v=U1kDlgdcoVQ
>>
>>63513020
Most people listen to subgenres of electronic music like chart pop and hip hop before drum and bass.
>>
>>63513035
Well sure, but when I think of someone clicking through youtube links of EDM Noisia comes to mind along with groups like Pendulum and Justice and shit. I ain't knocking them, I still like all of them but they're more like a catalyst for people to start digging deeper into bleeps
>>
This post hurt to read...
Seeing anything as edm or not and basing your opinion off of that is fucking stupid.
Who 'The Tide' here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx1ubiXvRgU
>>
>>63513020
>kinda like a diet Amon Tobin
I guess that makes sense.

I was thinking of it more in terms of like Hudson Mohawke, though, since he's in this weird space between EDM and IDM. From personal experience, normies and EDM babbies who can't get into Squarepusher or Aphex Twin blow loads over HudMo. But then again, HudMo's on Warp, so that's a big difference than, say, guys like Noisia who are more associated with that OWSLA demographic.
>>
>>63512712
They mostly make drum n bass, idk what you mean by "blatantly edm"? They do make a lot of different stuff, and you're maybe associating it with "edm" because of the really heavy bass sounds a la skrillex that they're known for
I am Legion is a bit different to a lot of their stuff, it was made with Foreign Beggars who are a group of mc's, are you saying hip hop because there's mcs on it? I've always thought of it as dubstep not listened for a while though

There's a whole world of electronic music that's not "edm", edm just makes me think of v bad american djs like steve aoki etc

side note, I saw noisia play last year and it was insane, one of the best nights out I've ever been too, the entire room just went mental.
>>
>>63514225
forgot to add this
http://www.fabriclondon.com/store/fabriclive-40.html

v good mix and might let you understand the genre a bit better
>>
>>63514225
I mean, I am aware of that, but
1. They are forerunners of the current EDM trend that exists today that started around 2010.
2. They are influenced and involved with said genre and scene.

Sure, they predate it, but at the same time, you can't deny those two points.
>>
>>63514336
haha ok, I'm not too knowledgeable on the current 'scene' you're talking about but agreed, they have some more commercial stuff that probably falls into the same bracket as skrillex pendulum etc and stuff people click through on youtube.

Can you explain what you mean by the current edm trend? Genuinely interested, I think there's very different ideas about electronic music in europe and america lol
>>
>>63512712
the term you're looking for is 'neurofunk' mate
>>
>>63514464
post-neurofunk mate
>>
>>63514437
Are you from Europe or the US?
>>
>>63514478
UK
>>
>>63514476
if that were a term people used then yeah, that would apply to their later stuff
the current minimal trend on labels like samurai fit that term better though desu
>>
>>63514489
in popular media the only electronic genre that's ever hit it big previous to edm hip hop (which most people here don't see as 'electronic' since they don't acknowledge any other electronic genres.) we've never had any widespread popularity of the type of genres you'd see at a club like techno, house, or I guess in your case jungle/drum and bass, only pop that's ripped off some synth lines and hooks from some electronic stuff (mainly trance)
then pop-electronic stuff like skrillex got popular in the mid 2000s and people knew what dubstep was and created the term edm to describe the new wave of pop-dance that's played at festivals and would never be seen in a serious 'underground' dj set.
basically, americans don't know anything about electronic genres other than hip hop, pop, and skrillex/diplo/steve aoki etc
>>
>>63514581
*to edm was hip hop
guess that's what I get for typing on mobile
>>
>>63514581
That's not completely true, though. There were guys like Daft Punk before, and some of the larger dance groups like the Prodigy or the Chemical Brothers were somewhat popular in the US before EDM got big as well, though for sure there wasn't quite the amount of buzz for that kind of thing until around 2010.

Also, since drum and bass has been kind of taken over by the EDM crowd, making dnb (especially in the US/EDM mindset) falls almost squarely in the EDM world now (at least, Noisia-like EDM, but not old Squarepusher, if you know what I mean).
>>
>>63514726
there's actually some pretty good dnb coming out of the us right now, can't remember the names but on one of the recent Hospital podcasts they featured a few producers, hopefully they're finally getting over the EDM mindset
>>
File: tribbles.jpg (48 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
tribbles.jpg
48 KB, 640x480
>>63514777
nice tribbles
>>
File: 1431978746005.jpg (19 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1431978746005.jpg
19 KB, 375x375
>>63513020
>diet Amon Tobin
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.