[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums /21683-vroom-vroom-ep/.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 640x960
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21683-vroom-vroom-ep/.
Damn this is shitty review. "Pointedly uncommercial and abrasive" is used as a criticism. Why does pitchfork have to shit on anything remotely experimental?
>>
sophie isn't black and neither is charli

hope i've helped
>>
it's fucking Charli xcx though. This ain't some avant garde project
>>
agreed but they were a couple good points

I liked the spring breakers litmus test and the last line of the review which as is very common with me: the reason someone hates it is the reason I love it.

zombi charli
>>
>>63511618
*there were

>>63511609
I dunno dude its pretty fucked up at times like discordant as shit
>>
>>63511609
I know, the production was slightly left field but the songs were still catchy. And they praised her earlier albums which were just radio trash
>>
Pitchfork is so out of touch now it's painful. This is like reading an editorial by a 40 year old in the Guardian or Salon.
>>
They analyzed the lyrics way to much. She's not trying to make any bold statement. its just straight bangers
>>
>>63511659
Agreed. I go to their website for music related news but they're reviews are generally awful
>>
>>63511586
>shit on anything remotely experimental
But they love Oneohtrix Point Never and early Death Grips
>>
>>63511766
yeah but that doesn't contradict MUH POPTIMISM

they have to pretend Rihanna singing a plagiarized song rewritten by Swedish people is true art while anything even remotely different is pretentious trash
>>
>>63511586
Her label didn't pay them enough.
>>
>>63511701
But their news is awful now. It's mostly Twitter beefs and other celeb shit. They had a "news" post about Narduwar meeting DJ Khaled. RIP p4k
>>
>>63511586
that's actually a valid criticism considering she's a commercial pop artist
>>
>>63511830
right thats why big star sucked, alex chilton should have stuck to the boxtops for his entire career
>>
>>63511594
even worse, sophie is appropriating femininity and transculture by pretending to be female for kicks
>>
>>63511766
OPN is basically just babby's 1st experimental musician. I'm not saying that as a slight because I love OPN but essentially in the early days they helped his career grow and now his labels pay them $$$$ to make him look like he's changing the game. P4k is great at finding artists that are worth a damn and then trying to dick ride on them until they're too big for their britches. Essentially daniel got a lot of hype and support with Peter and Fennesz so they took a look at his shit and now his label just pays for him to look good. Death grips is similar, they saw that an acclaimed drummer in the underground scene was a part of a new project and tried to dick ride until they could pay their way, which obviously they aren't going to so p4k doesn't care anymore.

>>63511807

this
>>
>>63512012
Also I'm not saying money didn't exchange hands in earlier stages, but you'd be dumb to think p4k isn't getting paid to make certain artists look good. PLUS if they can find an artist who will be around for a while, and create a symbiotic relationship (aka OPN and a bunch of other memers) they will try to do that. It makes them look hip because they're covering relatively unknown musicians still, but they still get to cash Warp's fat cheque.
>>
Who the fuck likes charli xcx lmao like drooling over that girl like waifu or something ROFL
>>
File: z4bDphES.jpg (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
z4bDphES.jpg
32 KB, 400x400
>>63512055
fuck off Laura you ugly bitch
>>
>>63511992
interesting, I didnt know that. This is my introduction to both of them.
>>
>>63512012
Pitchfork isn the only one hyping OPN tho, he is universally acclaimed
>>
>>63512055
actually I think she looks the least flattering in this "phase" at least from what I've seen
>>
>>63511586
its Charli XCX, shitty electropop for high-school girls, homosexuals and virgin waifufags. Who cares
>>
>>63511586
This isn't experimental in the slightest. cookie cutter pop in the vein of aqua with horrible singing and redundant lyrics.

>''WOAH IM SO EDGY WAHH I DON GIVE A FUCK MATE"

Yeah real avant-garde, I must say.
>>
>>63512141
did you only listen to paradise?
>>
>>63512094
You're aware there's a section of budget that goes into promotion right? desu internet music publications are ruining music because people can just pay to have their stuff noticed.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 443x332
>>63512171
Sure, that must be it
>>
p4k decided one day to just start hating everything that's associated with SOPHIE even though they used to love him.

Like I can understand some of the negative criticism given to PRODUCT due to the fact that half of it consisted of old material, but their review contradicts their previous reviews and makes it a cringey read. I guess they forgot that they've given his tracks BNM multiple times, invited him to play at their festival, and made a huge editorial/guide to PC Music praising it. Their progression of writing about him and PC Music in general has become fucking abysmal and sketchy. Love him or hate him, p4k has made a habit of abandoning artists at their prime because they probably assume white male millennials want to read about Drake instead
>>
>>63512088
SOPHIE has a very small discography, its definitely worth checking out
not so much in charli's case but this ep is good
>>
>>63512403
I feel like pc music has fallen into this valley where they're too problematic for p4k but too weird/pretentious for normies and counter-p4kers
>>
Good. This shitty EP needed to get shut down. It's literally garbage and I see you fags eating it up.

Fucking annoying
>>
>>63512798
I think they're just being lazy. People were on their shit after the PRODUCT review. Either they'll pull a bunny bear and turn around and start giving them good reviews again since the fan base is pissed, or they'll fade them into obscurity. The whole Condé Nast acquisition added a whole extra layer of cancer to their reviews and personality, so it will most likely be the former.
>>
yo someone get sophie in the studio with elysia crampton

just like get them in the studio for the ultra political dance music.. stsyatements.. the systems,... the corporation marxism.,.

dildo represents... repeerestnation of the systems of capitalistic socio anarchy culture socIO economics... economys of yhss stytem

u can just get like sophie to do a very controversial sexual cover maybe a three pronged dildo with rocket boosters and some post-internet branding (is putting MONSTER energy on tshirts still the in thing?) and elysia can write the essay in the album insert about w/e... then on the record for the ULTIMATE statement just make it like a blank record. no music at all.

no music. no life. the agency of the statement of cultural systematics
>>
rofl so progressive so SEX POSITIVE

guys my album cover is a double pronged & ribbed anal FUCKING anal fuck anal pussyfuck uGHHhghghgh sex culture yess fuck yes ohhh

what a statement

what a statement sophie what a steaetment, the .. muh .

culture... sex,, yea dude the sex fuckk uhh.. the agency... the culture..... that wherewithin the strucutres of societal institutionalized systems..
>>
you cant be cool forever. pitchfork is pretty much MTV at this point. some new cool underground shit will start up soon and take its place.
>>
i think its a pretty cool little EP. the reviewer seems to have been expecting something completely different and thats why she gave it a bad score.
>>
>>63511586
Still better than Fantano
>>
>>63512968
hopefully we'll reach a point where people no longer need review sites to aggregate new music for them. there's nothing wrong with music reviews, but the fact that music is funneled through editorial sites inevitably leads to a hivemind mentality.
>>
>>63511586
You do know pitchfork sold out right?
>>
>>63511586
Kek, the one pop album they were supposed to like.
>>
>>63512943
same
>>
reminder they gave niggas on the moon a 6.7
>>
>>63512943
GREAT post. Really enjoyed this one.
>>
>>63511586
ITT: Times Pitchfork was right
>>
>>63511586
Why do you still read Pitchfork? It's been shit for the best part of a decade. Is it really that essential to your identity that you need to show everyone you disagree with every little thing they do?
>>
>>63511992
I know this is b8, but
>somebody out there actually thinks this
kinda sad considering he and PC Music as a whole (though he makes much better music) are actually working with a pretty cool concept
>>
>>63511586
>"Pointedly uncommercial and abrasive"
That's a compliment though.

PS, your phone needs charging.
>>
they're actually right for once, impressive.
>>
>>63512278
It's not really. Just check out Chris Ott and he'll explain the whole deal of Pitchfork "selling out" since that's pretty much all he does these days.
>>
I don't give a fuck about melon, p4k or pop music in general but I thought that this was really good.
>>
ep got boring real quick
deserved score. Sophie was going in at 30% capacity. glad p4k is panning anything sophie/pc music related
>>
4.5 is a little harsh, but it showed a more interesting side to Charli than her previous album. I'd probably say it was a decent 6 at best though.

I enjoyed the more "abrasive" aspects and hope to hear more of that from her. She's still part of my triumvirate of enjoyable pop with Marina and Carly.
>>
its almost as if the whole pc music meme got played out or something
>>
The amount of butthurt on this board when Pitchfork doesn't like something that you guys like is kind of embarrassing. If you actually didn't care what they thought you wouldn't be spazzing out right now.
>>
>>63511586
Fantano drones BTFO

Based Pitchfork
>>
To be fair, it wasn't very good.
>>
>>63517902
>>63518244
>its just a meme
>youre just butthurt

these are the spirited defenses pitchfork inspires in 2016
>>
>>63511586
pc music has gone stale. glad p4k dont indescriminantly dickride anything pc music/ sophie related
>>
>>63519544
Who's defending anything? Why do you care so much about what Pitchfork thinks of an album you clearly already like?
>>
>>63519544
their reasoning is objectively more sound compared to the people getting upset that the EP got rightfully panned - it's not good
>>
>>63511807
>>>63511807

I second this
>>
i liked it, then again I like fun and sex.
>>
>reading pitchfork reviews on edm
>reading pitchfork at all

yikes
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.