[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I love this album. I liked it in the 80s and still like it, especially
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: Tonight_(album).jpg (38 KB, 295x300) Image search: [Google]
Tonight_(album).jpg
38 KB, 295x300
I love this album. I liked it in the 80s and still like it, especially after I bought the rerelease with the 80s soundtrack singles.

Loving the Alien is one of Bowie's best tracks and while he put it down and preferred the acoustic version he did live, I love the Album version. It's a really vivid song for me.

Anyway Bowie general.
>>
>>63490851
still havent fully processed his death
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 480x480
>>63490851
Can't really agree with you on that, but something that is underrated in my eyes are the two tin machine albums, especially the second one. They have a gritty and hard grunge sound to them, and bowie you can tell is having all sorts of fun with it.
>>
WATCHING THEM COME AND GO
>>
>>63490911

We'll agree to disagree, on Tin Machine and Tonight. I feel Bowie should have ignored the critics and listened to the fans. Fans loved 80s Bowie.

Let's Dance, Tonight and Never Let Me Down are his three biggest-sellers by a long shot, and Serious Moonlight and Glass Spider tours were his biggest as well. Then he listened to critics, fans abandoned him and he never got it back.
>>
>>63491072
those fans were all new fans that bowie gained from the surprise success of Let's Dance, and the fame got to his head while losing the edge that made his earlier albums loved by his dedicated fans. Let's Dance is a great album, but any other 80s output he made was very stale compared to his early work. Just my opinion. I do love some songs on never let me down though
>>
File: david-bowie-a-435.jpg (64 KB, 435x580) Image search: [Google]
david-bowie-a-435.jpg
64 KB, 435x580
>>63490886
same :(
>>
>>63491115

That's slightly disingenuous. Bowie had a lot of new fans from Ashes to Ashes which was a huge success outside of the USA. Bowie wanted those 80s fans and literally went after them and got them. He loved those big tours and the 80s were truly his career high, success wise. He was hungry for that from when he dumped the hippie and did the Ziggy thing; he loved those screaming teens and their Ziggy/Aladdin makeup. He did the Young Americans thing to break the USA. He was hungry for it.

Bowie stepping away from that is just the critics being channelled and for me, him walking away from the fans that he worked so hard for. Let's Dance was no surprise it was carefully curated.

I think it's far more cynical that he abandoned them (us (me ;w;)) and started that horrific combo with the exhumed Iggy band and some schmuck after the triumph of Glass Spider which woo'd fans and rustled critics.

I just listened to Scary through to Never and that stuff is tight.

In hindsight, maybe he invented grunge and the self-loathing of Nirvana with that abandonment.
>>
>>63491249
Keyword success-wise; I'm not disagreeing with you there, but he was definitely not at his musical peak during that time. Also that "exhumed Iggy band" was very innovative for it's time, and was seriously overlooked by critics.
>>
>>63491388

Tin Machine was OK but really, he was getting on a bit. He knew he fucked up and tried to get back the 80s thing with Black Tie, bringing back Rogers to produce it.

That record was OK, then he went back even further and did the Eno thing with Outside, which is a fantastic album. So he abandoned his fans only to try and grasp them back. It was a mistake to abandon them in the first place, and I consider Tin Machine as his midlife crisis.
>>
>>63491422
How is Tin Machine his midlife crisis when he clearly was having it during his Tonight & NLMD days? Tin machine was him finding his groove again, in interviews you hear him talking about the project as more of a realization and fun time for him, because he usually slams most of his 80's output. so he would go on to produce his great albums of the 90's. And yeah, outside is incredible; I consider It to be one of his finest albums he's ever made.
>>
About the only thing you can say about Tin Machine is that Bowie cleverly predicted the death of the 80s and the rise of low-key combo rock in the 90s. He just didn't have the youth attitude to pull it off.
>>
In the end people have to agree to disagree about the 80's. Massive commercial success but in retrospect, the man himself did not like what he had produced. He did not "fuck up" by doing Tin Machine, he just got back to being innovative and being Bowie. Slated at the time, I think it has grown on a lot of people over the years, - they just couldn't see it at the time.Lots of under-rated stuff, - Earthling, Lodger, Man Who Sold the World. But again it's all just opinion. Miss him like a part of my life has died though.
>>
Have you listened to the 80s stuff lately? It's solid.
>>
Yeah, I think it's rubbish, but just my opinion. Enjoy it.
>>
>>63491620

>I don't like something therefore it's shit

Toddler-tier opinion.
>>
No. Read what I wrote again. I said I think it's rubbish and it's only my opinion. Ok toddler?
>>
I was actually going to say that calling it rubbish was a massive exaggeration, and that this was only in comparison to his other work. However, you chucked your teddy out of the pram so I didn't
>>
>>63491072
fans didnt abandon him, his 90s music was good and he did pack in the audiences look at his tour with NIN
>>
>>63491249
80s was his career high financially
>>
Absolutely, but I think Bowie was about more than money.
>>
It's underrated, I like it too.
>>
I like the redo of Neighbourhood Threat, it sounds like the 80s to me. Also I like how he took Tonight and turned it into a chill reggae with Tina Turner, I mean wtf man? That song is about Iggy's junkie slut dying from an OD. :D

Loving the Alien is a killer song and Blue Jean is a lot of fun.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.