[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Obsession
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: fortress.jpg (91 KB, 496x500) Image search: [Google]
fortress.jpg
91 KB, 496x500
Dear /mu/,

What was the last artist that your were really "obsessed" with? When was the last time you were so into a band or artist that you memorized almost everything about that group or person? Do you still get obsessed with musicians or do you consider that 'cringy' or 'immature'? It's been a while since I've gotten into any good bands so I'm wondering if there's anything worth getting into.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-wjMcB9gg
>>
>>63489942
God tier album.
>>
>>63489942
>Idolizing people
>>
>>63489942
>What was the last artist that you were really obsessed with
Kanye West. I started listening to him well over a year ago and it's safe to say that I'm still 200% obsessed. I've listened to MBDTF at least 300 times and and I listen to it at least one or twice every week.
>>
For me it was Opeth. Looking back on it I think it was pretty cringy. Still, Opeth will alwaye be one of my favourite bands.
>>
File: 8683c42f.jpg (105 KB, 658x500) Image search: [Google]
8683c42f.jpg
105 KB, 658x500
For me it was the white stripes back in '07, I got tickets to see them in my city right as icky thump was coming out and then a few months later the band was done. I still have fantasies of making love to meg white and just now I'm remembering about the sex tape that supposed to be her but was not. She should have married kanye west instead of that fat bitch.
>>
Cage the elephant became that for the last while until their new album came out which was rather underwhelming
>>
>>63490038
iktf

Opeth was the first band i really got into, right now i'm obsessing over Thy Catafalque.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8nezycvcnc
>>
>>63489983
go to /lgbt/ if you want a christian board
>>
Circa survive. still like them since 2006 and since then listened to every related project they put out and bought all their records.
>>
Pink Floyd/Taylor Swift

>Do you still get obsessed with musicians or do you consider that 'cringy' or 'immature'?
yeah it's extremely cringy.
>>
When I was a kid?
Oh my god, the Beatles. I'm looking at a bookshelf across my room right now and I count ten, maybe eleven or twelve books on those four guys, punctuated by books on Elvis Presley, CREEM archives, rock discographies, and guitar magazines. I remember my first time ever being turned on was in a book that contained the lyrics to all of the songs by them, with graphics everywhere. One of those fucking graphics was across the page from was a woman dressed as a police officer leaning over a parking meter and smoking, her nipple exposed.
Two years ago?
Trent goddamn Reznor. His music changed a lot of my life and he's a snarky, arrogant fuck sometimes, maybe most of the time, but his self-righteousness is what makes his art as powerful and as passionate as it is, and for that, I commend him.
>>
File: BTBAM.jpg (128 KB, 658x370) Image search: [Google]
BTBAM.jpg
128 KB, 658x370
>>63489942
pic is intensely related. most of my high school career revolved around btbam
>>
I guess I kind of do this regularly. I like knowing what was going on with bands/artists when they made albums I enjoyed. I like looking at their influences and where they came from as people in order to make bodies of work I enjoy so much
>>
Ive really been into AnCo of late. So much that I was willing to buy a $140 dollar ticket from a scalper to see them live.
>>
>>63491239
but when I was 14 I was deeply obsessed with afi. I went for almost a year, maybe longer pretty much listening strictly to them. i'd even get self-concious about it, but at the time i felt like there was so much variation in their discography that it covered everything i wanted to listen to.

that was probably the worst of it, but pretty much from age 12-17 i would go for weeks, or months listening to only one (maybe two if they came out or i discovered them around the same time) albums on repeat. i still do that from time to time, but it was at an almost constant basis back then.

the last album I got really into like that was probably mezzanine. I listened to it every day, or every few days for most of last summer. I could still listen to it at probably any given time, as long as it's night time
>>
>>63491292
Oh my god Mezzanine was the shit.
I remember I sent my pal that album last summer over Google Docs (He had shit internet, and it was convenient for downloading music) and he loved it, as far as I could tell. I've got to be in a very specific mood to listen to it, but it's this fantastic dark, trippy, creepy, jazzy, smooth, polished masterpiece and easily MA's best work. I remember I used to lay down on my bed with the lights off (and close my eyes anyway), and just feel it, and visualize every part of the music.
Sorry if that was a way overboard response, I just got excited about someone mentioning it.
>>
>>63491330
nah man i totally get it. i did a lot of walking around outside at night last summer because of it. i live in and older neighbourhood with some pretty run down parts so it was perfect.
part of me is sad that it took me so long to finally listen to it, but on the other hand i don't know if i would have "gotten" it if i'd heard it when i was 15.

this is maybe veering off a little too far, but it also influenced the way i make music hugely. almost more than any other single artist/album.
>>
File: smashing_p.jpg (75 KB, 458x307) Image search: [Google]
smashing_p.jpg
75 KB, 458x307
>>63489942
The Smashing Pumpkins are the only band I could be considered obsessed with. No matter how old I get I still like them.
>>
admittedly, Neutral Milk Hotel. jeff mangum is just a fascinating person, and the way that he kind of faded into obscurity just kinda added to this old-timey circus sort of aesthetic that the band had. I'm fairly confident that I've legitimately listened to every single neutral milk hotel song in existance
>>
>>63490253
I like it. I'll give it a better listen when I got the time. Sounds promising though
>>
>>63491552
Nice
>>
wavves till the new album came out and riff raff since no album is coming out
>>
X-Japan was probably the last band I did that with, and before that Megadeth
>>
File: 1446531557679.jpg (353 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
1446531557679.jpg
353 KB, 2000x1333
these guys. their music aswell as hhh as a person and his -let's say- other output across the internet
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.