[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>He thinks music is "good" because "it sounds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8
File: laughing stock.jpg (165 KB, 1205x1200) Image search: [Google]
laughing stock.jpg
165 KB, 1205x1200
>He thinks music is "good" because "it sounds good and it makes me feel good"

This is literally a non-reason for liking it. That's a reason for liking it, but liking something is not important. If you cannot prove that the you like are good and of merit using technical and theory examples, you might as well like Top 40, as you have the dedicated musical knowledge of someone in that territory. Saying that something is good "because you like it" is a huge banal copout and you should be ashamed of yourself for even trying to justify your beliefs with it.

It's just as useless as saying "I like this movie because it's fun" or "I like this book because the story is good." If you tried to discuss those disciplines like that, actual experts would ask you to explain why, and they would laugh at you if you didn't use cinematographic or literary terms in your answer. Only in music is "I like it because I do" an okay answer when it should not be.

Try not to spam the Coltrane quote. Creator opinions are irrelevant if they are not educated in the matter of discussion and appreciation.
>>
UGH
>>
File: 1456989524524.jpg (34 KB, 402x604) Image search: [Google]
1456989524524.jpg
34 KB, 402x604
>>
File: 1422668344428.gif (136 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1422668344428.gif
136 KB, 480x480
https://rbt.asia/mu/thread/S63446972
pathetic
>>
>>63485264
>you might as well like Top 40

And this is bad because...
>>
>>63485264
Why do you always use that image when making these threads?
>>
>>63485264
i think you're right
i also think that /mu/ is the last place where you should be expecting to find intelligent reasoning and explanations of why someone likes something, especially at this point when the median /mu/tant age is like 16 or 17 years and the backgrounds of those /mu/tants are reddit, facebook and the comment sections of fantano videos
>>
>>63485264
>actual experts
>music isnt fun

Holy shit i kekd
>>
>>63485264
boring
>>
Why don't we all just jack off to dead German guys and watch 50's movies too.
>>
>>63485387
Explain why you came here today March 21st, 2016 then?
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 640x1136
>not wishing you were deaf
>>
>>63485264
>>63485341
This is correct
>>
File: Standing-Cat.jpg (29 KB, 650x654) Image search: [Google]
Standing-Cat.jpg
29 KB, 650x654
>>63485264
Music is feeling pain for what you wrote

Do somenthing more productive when you feel like you want to waste some time
>>
>>63485264

Laughing Stock was an apt fusion of many of the influences and experimentalism of the past, with the newer stems of experimental rock music of its time. Mainly, LS is built around minimalism (a la Glass or Reich), with many of the songs not having any perceived "forward" motion, and relying very much on an initial rhythmic and melodic idea. Notably, the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th tracks exhibit this, with driving, unvarying drum rhythms propelling generally simple melodies. However, what makes this appealing is the series of subtle variations in both tonality and instrumentation: brass, although not entirely constant throughout the record, makes appearances, accenting mainly accidentals in order to introduce a sense of dissonance and make for slow transitions within the song structures. The vocals, more than a tool for communicating lyrics, are more in the style of scat singing, especially given the warbly and garbled nature of Hollis' voice. Every instrument, even though their parts may be generally sparse and simplistic, each play a significant role in the counterpoint and harmony of each track, and this is no surprise given the improvised nature of the record.

In other parts of the record, the minimalism extends to the dynamics as well. Myrrhman relies very much on the melody carried by Hollis, with the other instruments only playing a simple progression behind. Taphead is simply Hollis again, but this time working with swelling woodwinds that harmonize with his voice, and the finale of the album, Runeii, is primarily a free-improv guitar piece only barely embellished with organ and tinges of vocals. At points, the records embraces moments of decrescendo and crescendo in order to build tension and release, a practice which became a staple of the subsequent genre of post-rock. With both this, and the array of genre influences being done with traditional/rock instrumentation, Laughing Stock set the standard for all experimental rock music that came after.
>>
>>63485458
This. Just leave if you don't like this place.
>>
>>63485458
i ask myself the same thing whenever i come here
>>
Been noticing a lot of tension between various camps on /mu/ lately, between poptimists, rockists, "experimental" music fans, "casual" listeners, "dedicated" listeners and so on.
Lotta bickering. Lotta antagonism.

What is this leading up to?
>>
>>63485322
>>63485333
>>63485666
checked
>>
>>63485264
>it makes me feel good

this is a good reason
>>
>>63485685

But it doesn't explain why it's good or why you like it. It's a completely useless comment.
>>
>>63485666

Shitpost war the likes we've never seen

I think it'll go full swing when Bottomless Pit releases
>>
>>63485264
I keep reading through your post trying to identify a main point, mind squaring off your autistic rambling for me chief?
>>
Hello all.
Glad to see my meme war is still going strong
>>
File: oasis.jpg (197 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
oasis.jpg
197 KB, 1600x900
>>63486015
>>
>mcdonalds big macs
product of capitalism thats created for the masses and is enjoyed by almost all demographics
>pretentious raw burger with exotic ingredients
Only available in few restaurants for a greater price, the burger takes work and thought to enjoy, and only appeals to specific people.
You can like both op, its not that hard
>>
File: seinfeld_rect.jpg (20 KB, 660x440) Image search: [Google]
seinfeld_rect.jpg
20 KB, 660x440
>>63485711
lol do people really need to explain why they like something. If it appeals to someone and they can't put into words why they enjoy it why is that so bad. You don't have to be educated in theory to know that the music makes you feel good. gtfo you pretentious cunt
>>
>>63486015
Just stop you're making things so much worse
>>
File: dopethrone_by_magbhitu-d5p87j6.jpg (527 KB, 1549x2051) Image search: [Google]
dopethrone_by_magbhitu-d5p87j6.jpg
527 KB, 1549x2051
>>63485666
damn that's so metal
>>
>>63485264
t. Piero
>>
>>63486292

Scruffy's critique isn't much deeper than Fantano's.
>>
>>63485666
hopefully the board being deleted
>>
>>63485666
4chan is not a hugbox
>>
>>63485264
I guess you canĀ“t tune a guitar properly, not even make a decent beat using software
>>
>>63485264
well idk i just like to listen to what music makes me happy without worrying about justifying my enjoyment in my head and without imagining situations that'll never happen where im required to justify it to other people or "experts" like you said.

But hey you made me reply so congrats
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.