[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Finally got around to listening to pic related. I was blown away.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
Finally got around to listening to pic related.
I was blown away.
How can one album be so incredible (Frownland, Hair Pie: Bake 1 and 2, Dachau Blues), and then so awful (any of Beefhearts spoken word bullshit)?

What do you all think /mu/? Good album, shit album, or a meme?
>>
it's an interesting piece of art
>>
Seriously more noise than music. It's shit and was put together in a unique but shitty manner.
>>
Mostly unlistenable for me except for a few good songs (Frownland, Moonlight on Vermont) but I still respect it for the influence and impact it has on modern music.
>>
>>63480540
its not real music
not even the trout mask was real
its just a replica
>>
>>63480656
It's also a carp mask.
>>
>>63480656
damn...
>>
>>63480540
greatest rock album of all time
>>
>>63480711
*times
>>
>>63480711
oh are we talking about Velvet Underground and Nico now?
>>
It's a little too 60s for me these days but yeah, good fucking album. Also a bit memey unfortunately.
>>
>>63480886
Also the more I listen to it, the less sincere the Captain's persona feels to me. Like when he's doing the spoken word bits it really feels like he's labouring to keep up the act.
>>
>>63480540
Its not even trip hop.
>>
ELLAA GUURUUU
>>
File: shit.png (127 KB, 999x799) Image search: [Google]
shit.png
127 KB, 999x799
>>
>>63480574
>>63480636
>>63480656
>>63483027

College kids please leave.
>>
I'm so tired of garbage music nowadays like Animal Collective, Death Grips and Neutral Milk Hotel. I was born in the wrong generation to experience true music like Captain Beefheart.
>>
What are you talking about? Dachau Blues is easily the worst song on the album bar none
>>
what was your first impression of this album?

when i first heard it i knew nothing about it, i was trying to torrent safe as milk but TMR came up and i thought fuck it i'll try this one out
frownland came on and i literally burst out laughing
>>
>>63483151
Thought it was strange but really liked Frownland and Dali's Car. Now I love it.
>>
it's really pretty accessible
played hair pie bake 1 for my normie friend while we were really high and he really dug it
>>
>>63483086
alright anon, lead yourself out!
>>
Hey, buddy, fuck you. I love the spoken word pieces. It's like schizophrenic poetry

Also if you don't think Pachuco Cadaver is the best song, then you don't know SHIT about music
>>
>>63480540
Good meme album.
>>
>>63480733
That is honestly the most overrated album in existence. It's more overrated than sgt peppers.
>>
>>63480656
holy fuck.
>>
>She wears her past like a present
damn...
>>
>>63484383
You guys meme, but a lot of the lyrics on the album are fucking deep
>>
>>63480540
The spoken word is the best part
>>
>>63484489
name some
>>
>>63484678
"oh man thats so heavy" quipped at the end of old fart at play

proves the entire rest of the album is, as was said, "heavy"

:^)
>>
Frownland is the worst god damn piece of music I have ever heard. No matter how many times I try to listen to this album, it is always so horribly jarring that it ruins the whole thing

>hurr, just listen to individual instruments and theyll all string together, you fucking pleb

Thatd be great, if Beefhearts vocals didnt drown out EVERYTHING
>>
>>63480540
I think the spoken word stuff is pretty good, mostly because so much of it is just pure silliness. All in all, I like it a lot, but I don't know how I'd rate it.
>>
>>63484678
>"Me and my girl named Bimbo"
>"Limbo"
>"Spam"

He's talking about the objectification of women, how they are seen as "owned" by their men and how society paints them as "unintelligent." He is saying that society will stay in a limbo until this social problems are addressed and rectified. That last line is also a witty little remark about the oversaturation of processed foods in america, leading to an influx of obesity problems. Quite an astute observation considering when this album came out, Beefheart really was a visionary
>>
File: 1455308711687.jpg (109 KB, 829x861) Image search: [Google]
1455308711687.jpg
109 KB, 829x861
>>63483250
>>
>>63480656
damn...
>>
>>63480540
>>63483151
Great album, fuckin funny amazing to listen to.

At first listen, I was just wacked out and just heard bunch of random shit coming to me for no reasons. Wasn't really interested.

Then I listened a couple of more times. Then I realized everybody was playing all different patterns at the same time and there was repetition and how Beefheart put his voice made all the songs quite unique in its own way.

Not only it is an accomplishment to have done such insane music, it is an accomplishment to make an album of 1h 20 mins without ever sounding redundant or boring! This album is compelling from start to end. No fillers or rehashed ideas. Maybe a couple of jokes returning here and there, but always in a different way. That's purely amazing to me.

I don't think it was that much influential, probably will always be seen as the biggest oddball in rock history(influential means for me that lots of people tried to copy your style, like VU), but it is a clearly a piece of art at this point.
>>
Best tracks: Pachuco Cadaver, Pena, When Big Joan Sets Up, The Blimp
>>
>>63486563
best tracks are hair pie bakes 1 and 2
>>
With how much you faggots shit post about this album it honestly seems like it was released, then groundhog days it, and releases again.
>>
>>63486563
My Fav Tracks :
Ella Guru,
Dali's Car,
Moonlight on Vermont,
When Big Joan Sets Up (Nothing can beat that fuckin sound by Beefheart in the beginning)
Sweet Sweet Bulbs
The Blimp

And the rest is also amazing.
>>
>>63483090
Nice bait.
>>
When I first heard this album I thought it was horrible, literally one of the worst albums I'd heard. But I can't help but keep listening to it, and with each listen I like it more and more. Its bizarre
>>
Anyone think this bass in Beefheart song sounds similar to an EDM bass? (0:14)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XcdG_sXZjA
>>
Is the filtering system on 4chan x broken or something

I've filtered by Image MD5 on every TMR thread and it's doing nothing
>>
Its great but this is better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsNtRTxU0wU
>>
>>63486563
Wasnt big on Pena personally. Not my least fav, not my fav.
>>63486777
these are pretty much accurate for me, just add in Hair Pie
>>63480656
topkek
>>
>>63480656
damn....
>>
Steal Softly Through Snow is the best senpai
>>
File: replicunt.jpg (46 KB, 272x272) Image search: [Google]
replicunt.jpg
46 KB, 272x272
>>63480540
Superior Replica
>>
>implying this album is inaccessible
it's catchy as fuck, and i'm a fucking pleb
proof: i love Bad Religion's Suffer
>>
How come you don't like at least "the dust blows blows forward and the dust blows back "?
It's so catchy.
>>
It's a meme, made by an absolute lunatic who tortured his band.

The spoken stuff is actually the only bearable part of the album.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.