[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does the context of an album effect your listening experience.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: 1445647539445.jpg (132 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1445647539445.jpg
132 KB, 1000x1000
Does the context of an album effect your listening experience. For example
>John Balance killing himself(supposedly) change the context Black Antler,The Ape of Naples, or Ambulance Died in His Arms.
Or
> Wayne Coyne went through a divorce with his wife of many years before the Lips made The Terror
>>
Depends on the album, but yes, absolutely.
>>
>>63473704

>Killing himself

Dude was an alcoholic with a shitty railing. Not suicidal.
>>
>>63473805
That's why I said supposedly because no one knows what happened but he was clearly falling apart.
>>
Unfortunately yes.

Music critics should "attempt" to eliminate these biases as much as possible.
>>
Blackstar is still not that good
>>
>Does the context of an album effect your listening experience?

Absolutely, as it should.
>>
I hate the "le death of the author" meme.
>>
File: french-revolution.jpg (294 KB, 600x477) Image search: [Google]
french-revolution.jpg
294 KB, 600x477
>>63473863
Why isn't music art and doesn't the context of art matter. Art is supposed to create an emotional response in you and it's context will effect your listening experience. Would this painting have the same power if were made by someone today living in rural Wyoming.
>>
>>63473936

It should. Otherwise, its not very good art, is it?
>>
>>63473863
What an idiot.

Music and the criticism thereof are intrinsically subjective and biased experiences. What an absolute idiot.

I hope you feel bad for being this stupid.
>>
>>63473967
I disagree art cannot be objective by its very nature,
>>
>>63473936
>Would this painting have the same power if were made by someone today living in rural Wyoming.
Yes. It would also still be about the French Revolution. If the French Revolution never happened, THEN it would lose power and significance.
>>
>>63473704
It has never mattered to me. I don't even try to consciously supress the context, I just don't care. I only listen to the music.

>>63473936
I agree with you, but this is a portrayal of a big moment in history, whereas context in music is usually reduced to the author, and I could care less about the author. There are also concept albums based on varied topics, sure, but it's no more a personal expression of whatever it is about, rather than a grand representation or monument related to it. I get that this is probably in bad taste, but that's just how it is for me.
>>
>>63474018
>context in music is usually reduced to the author

are you high, or just stupid?
>>
>>63474070
How about both? Anyway, I'd appreciate any concrete examples, given that you don't care if they go over my head.
>>
>>63473994
>>63474018
I get what you are saying but once you hear the story of the artist is some way it is in your mind when go over the music. It becomes a part of the experience it makes you think about why they phrase the lyrics that way. Or choose to start off a song with screaching noise. Alot of the enjoyment of art is trying to make sense of it all to yourself and I don't find anything wrong with letting the story of the artist bias you. It is true that great art will always be able to stand on its own merits but there is nothing wrong with letting other things bias your interpretation.
>>
>>63473704
If the context surrounding the album is integral to the concepts and themes that the album itself presents forth, then it most likely will.

While how well those themes are presented is most important (and entirely subjective you mongoloids), completely ignoring the context is ignoring an intrinsic piece of the art.
>>
>>63474101
>>https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpdw0ouogQo
The context has nothing to do with the fact that it is jimmy hendrix playing and everything to do with Vietnam
>>
>>63473967
Who says it should? Art, be it any form, is an extension of the artist. You don't have to know the context, but more often than not, it really helps you understand the art on a deeper level or at the very least why it's like that.

Do you think that painting is good because it's famous or because it really spoke to you?
>>
File: Roland-Barthes-1.jpg (78 KB, 618x549) Image search: [Google]
Roland-Barthes-1.jpg
78 KB, 618x549
>mfw this thread
>>
>>63474314
Better than 90% of the other threads
>>
i really don't think john killed himself
he was the type of nigga that would have left a note
>>
>Does death come alone or with eager reinforcements
This line wouldn't be as hard hitting as it is if it wasn't for John dying
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.