[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are AJJ the only currently active Folk Punk band? Most have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 9
Are AJJ the only currently active Folk Punk band?

Most have their last releases in 2012 at the latest.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esA6bbd7xts

Published on June 2, 2014
>>
didn't the taxpayers put something out last year or something
>>
>>63466273
2013 was their last
>>
>>63466271
2014 isn't bad

Amigo The Devil is active it seems
>>
>>63466305
Christ
time flies
>>
>>63466339
That it does, man.
>>
>>63466257
Mischief Brew
Days'n'Daze
Blackbird Raum
Pat The Bunny still puts out music
Most of the big ones basically.

Defiance Ohio might even still be together idk
>>
>>63466359
Defiance toured in 2015 so yeah
>>
Jeffrey Lewis

Violent Femmes too
>>
wtf happened to Paul Baribeau?
>>
>>63466359
Yeah, pat put out a really shitty ep last year,
I was super dissapointed
>>
>>63466484
oh that sucks. I bought it and never got around to listening lol
>>
>>63466469
No fucking idea
>>
>>63466469
you can creep is his facebook profile lol. apparently he still does shows in the midwest
>>
these threads make me feel so old.

Knowing that the subculture you subscribed to as a teenager is dead. Strange feeling.
>>
>>63466575
I have a mutual friend lel
>>
>>63466619
Shit sucks, with the scene could get some life breathed into it.
>>
Days n Daze are doing an europe tour this summer.
Wonder if i can ask them to tag along and carry their shit in exchange. They seem like fun people to hang out with
>>
Why is food not bombs vegan only? I'm so tired of the veganism meme that has infected the left.
>I'm hungy
>Hey have some vegan food
>thanks i guess
>>
>>63468052
because meat is murder duh
>>
>>63468064
But if we apply human morals to animals then we need to stop all the lions and stuff. The whole thing just seems like silly anthropomorphising that wasn't thought through very much. When you need food badly it's much better to have a hearty meat stew or something like than something with just vegetables.
>>
>>63468086
>then we need to stop all the lions and stuff.
sounds good to me

>When you need food badly it's much better to have a hearty meat stew or something like than something with just vegetables.
as I recall it doesnt matter where protein comes from aside from what else you might be getting along with it and we only need about 50 grams of protein a day
>>
>>63468052
Tell me about if. The punk scene has basically become synonym to grindcore and salad munchers.

And they are fucking aggressive about it as well. A guy i don't know approached me once in front of the venue before a show and gave my crap for eating a sandwich. Was very close to give him a california smile dentist appointment. I mean who does that? Approaches random guys and gives then shit for eating?

Sorry for the blog, i pissed myself off. Fucking vegans man
>>
>>63468119
So you want people to completely destroy the natural world so everyone can be vegan? Why? Where do you get the idea that meat is bad from? It's more about taste and morale (important when feeding the poor) than the actual scientific nutrition.
>>
>>63468128
just the 80s all over again at least the way I heard it straight edge people would beat others up for drinking beer
>>
>>63468142
go ask a gazelle I'm sure they'd agree
>>
I wish there were no active folk punk bands
the genre is complete shit
>>
>>63468160
I can't because gazelles aren't people anon, nobody can. Please stop anthropomorphising.
>>
>>63468142
veganism isn't (for decently smart people at least) about animals not dying. It's about refusing to support a cruel and ruthless breeding/extermination system. Serving cruelty-free meat would be good, but I can imagine that it's more expensive than vegetables. Just my two cents.
>>
>>63468152
Yeah had some experiences with them as well. Not half as aggressive though, because they are sober and all that. Pretty annoying though
>>
>>63468172
it was a figure of speech. Among other things there's also body language which clearly communicates that a gazelle does not wish to be murdered by anyone even a lion.

also cost analysis
>>
>>63468181
This makes sense, but capitalist farming with plants does pretty much the same thing with pesticides, destruction of habitats and so on.
>>
>>63468200
>destruction of habitats
you can't murder dirt

birth control isn't the same as abortion or murder
>>
>>63468052
>>63468064

No, it's to be as inclusive as possible. 100% of people can eat vegan food whether they're vegetarian or kosher or whatever so that's what they go with.

I've got a lot of friends in the London food not bombs and they're not aggressive about veganism at all, most of them aren't even vegan they just want to be inclusive.
>>
>>63468194
So completely wiping out all predators from planet earth costs the least in the long run?
>>
>>63468222
But you are clearing out habitats to put big farms on.
>>63468227
that makes sense
>>
>>63468228
>wiping out all predators
I was thinking more along the lines of giving them all tofu burgers
>>
>>63468240
anon my friend you can't be serious
>>
>>63468234
>But you are clearing out habitats to put big farms on.
so? again contraception is not the same as murder

so I mean yeah you'd have to shoo away all the critters before you killed the plants and I say kill because plants cannot be murdered
>>
>>63468255
If the animals don't have their main source of food and livelihood because it was turned into a farm. what do you think happens to them?
>>
>>63468248
hypothetically sure why not

also it is possible to still eat meat without murder by just waiting for the animal to die of natural causes like old age. however meat is murder is a concise phrase and also of course a very famous song particularly in a music forum
>>
>>63468268
you give them the tofu burgers that the farm just made
>>
>>63468270
because first of all they wouldn't eat it and second of all how are you going to make all the tofu burgers? enough to feed every carnivorous animal on earth? wouldn't the cost on the environment actually be worse then?
>>
File: 1434540389817.jpg (53 KB, 522x583) Image search: [Google]
1434540389817.jpg
53 KB, 522x583
>>63468270
>also it is possible to still eat meat without murder by just waiting for the animal to die of natural causes like old age
I swear to god, this is the dumbest thing i've heard all month
>>
>>63468128
I blame Bob Otis.
>>
>>63468274
this is what i mean by anthropomorphising animals
animals are literally not people, they won't line up to get tofu burgers
>>
>>63468279
>what is vertical farming
>>63468286
how so?
>>
>>63468296
>what is a trough
>>
>>63468297
Do i really have to explain to you why meat from animals who die of old age isn't fit for consumption?
Serious question, not even being a dick right now
>>
>>63468297
>we will live in a science fiction utopia where most of our economy is based around giving tofu burgers to carnivorous animals and nobody can give a reason why
this is what makhno died for
>>
>>63468305
how are they gonna line up to eat their trough burgers?
>>
>>63468310
yeah actually. Whats the big deal? I don't see the harm in eating my grandma. meats meat as long as she didnt die of some sort of meat disease

maybe you'd need to add some paprika sure but otherwise its fine
>>
>>63468330
>I don't see the harm in eating my grandma
vegans everybody
>>
>>63468328
>what is a bird feeder
>>
>>63468346
you can just feed birds grain anyway
>>
>>63468337
>what is the whole buffalo
>>
>>63468350
well sure but they still line up the same way other animals do at a trough

but sure whatever johnny appleseed can go out and feed them all by hand
>>
>>63468356
something that vegans don't eat?
>>
>>63468371
the animals would really just kick the shit out of eachother to get their tofu burgers first
>>
>>63468330
No, it really isn't fine. Meant from an animal that old is going to be very hard and very difficult to eat, no matter how much you cook it. It isn't going to taste good either.
Another thing is the blood. When you slaughter an animal, you let the blood drain so you can actually eat the meat. If you don't slaughter the animal correctly, you can basically throw away the meat.
Not to mention that waiting for an animal to fall over dead to eat it is stupid as fuck, and no species does it.
Its cool though, you don't have any experience in food preservation or slaughtering animals. Saying this as someone who does in both
>>
>>63468372
its a classical analogy

>>63468381
it wouldnt matter there's be enough but sure we could have a burger referee
>>
>>63468386
ok but that just sounds like it makes it more difficult not impossible
>>
>>63468386
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y0R-QccpcQ
>>
>>63468402
ANIMALS AREN'T PEOPLE
THEY WON'T LISTEN TO A REFEREE AND DON'T KNOW WHEN THERE"S ENOUGH
>>
>>63468412
I don't think you fully realize the difference between a young slaughtered animal and the one who dies of old age.
All meat you buy in stores (except maybe minced meat and the likes) comes from young animals, otherwise it is not fit for human consumption.

It would be very, very hard to the point where you can't even chew it and would taste horrible.

>>63468421
Oh right, fair point
>>
>>63468433
>what is physical force
>what is appetite
>>
>>63468450
So we're going to have police but for animals? Most animals won't understand consequences. We'll also have to domesticate every animal, which vegans are usually against.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj4rAKN0Axk

I've been listening to this album and I can't tell if folk punk has got worse or I've just got old and stopped enjoying new things.

Would I have loved this exact same album in 2009? I just can't tell.
>>
>>63468455
most people don't either but it still helps

true but the world would be their playground
>>
>>63468485
If it's bad to kill animals because killing animals is the same as killing people, can you remember the term for domesticating people?
>>
>>63468501
civility?

domestication =/= imprisonment
>>
File: roguetaxidermy.jpg (381 KB, 959x960) Image search: [Google]
roguetaxidermy.jpg
381 KB, 959x960
>>63468463
Try Days n Daze. Same people, much better music. This album in particular is just great
>>
>>63468513
It is imprisonment if you're using physical force, like you said we should.
>>
https://asenseofporpoise.bandcamp.com/album/a-sense-of-porpoise-2012

this is a band I knew when I was in the periphery of out of control nihilistic local punk /drug scene.

it makes me sad because now i'm a more boring normal person with a job, but at the same time half of the people in the band and plenty of died of heroin overdoses. I'm kind of sad and kind of glad about my safer boringer life, I don't know.
>>
>>63468518
not thats only to keep them from hurting each other when its tofu time whih is not my hypothetical and I doubt it would happen because thats exactly what a trough is designed to prevent
>>
>>63468518
Not him, but how are you supposed to domesticate animals withouth the use of physical force?

Do you think that people begged the horses to let them ride?
>>
>>63468549
I don't know anon that was a pretty common argument for slavery, "it's for their own good".
>>63468551
I'm not against domestication because I don't believe in anthropomorphising animals.
>>
>>63468551
I assumed the assertion was that just feeding them tofu burgers qualified as domestication
>>63468568
technically it would be for others good like I said to keep them from hurting each other not themselves which also applies to the reason for giving them tofu in the first place.
>>
>>63468568
English is not my native language so i had to google anthropomorphising. Didn't you just say that domestication while using physical force is imprisonment?
>>
File: wtf.jpg (13 KB, 150x200) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
13 KB, 150x200
>>63466257
>In 2016, the band officially changed their name from "Andrew Jackson Jihad" to AJJ (a moniker that many of their fanbase had been using to refer to them for several years). In a statement on the bands website, Bonnette wrote "1.) We are not Muslims, and as such, it is disrespectful and irresponsible for us to use the word jihad in our band’s name. 2.) We no longer wish to be a living reminder of president Andrew Jackson. Interesting historical figure as he was, he was an odious person and our fascination with him has grown stale."[23]
Why Sean why? I thought you were cool.
>>
>>63468585
this isn't going anywhere and it's a music board so I won't reply any more but why is it bad to eat meat?
>>63468589
I said it was if you take his conception of morality
>>
>>63468667
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xacRTqk5QFM
>>
>>63468620
Jesus. I used to pound beers with these guys when I was in college. I don't remember everything that was said, but we managed to be irreverent shit talkers while still standing for things that seemed to mater at the time. Nobody questioned that we were far left as fuck.

I don't even get this PC bullshit anymore. At least back in the day, we got out and made stuff like food not bombs happen. Don't even know if modern Tumblrites would think that matters.
>>
File: 1433721537899.jpg (40 KB, 298x292) Image search: [Google]
1433721537899.jpg
40 KB, 298x292
>>63470837
>At least back in the day, we got out and made stuff like food not bombs happen
So you were just as useless as you are now, you degenerate salad muncher
>>
>>63470904

Yeah he got together with his friends, had a fun time and gave out free food to the hungry, what a dick.

It's way better to stay inside and make cynical posts on 4chan, with the help of your handy folder full of reaction images.
>>
>tfw no folk-punk bf to do acoustic covers of Anco with
>>
https://joebartel.bandcamp.com

2015 folk punk
>>
>>63466619
>subscribing to punk faggotry
Punks achieved nothing except making all protest movements a joke from then on

Useful idiots
>>
>>63471652
>gave out free food to dropouts, alcoholics and drug addicts, what a dick
Fixed that for you

Addicts get that way because of enablers
>>
>>63468620
This is fucking dumb. I always thought of the name as a stab at Andrew Jackson's attitude toward Native Americans.
>>
>>63471652
Thanks, anon. That was really what it was all about. The beautiful thing about folk punk was really how spontaneous it was. A guerilla show was literally a few bandmates happening to be in the same place, somebody having an acoustic for them to use, and their friends telling them to play.

I saw dudes play in parking garages, walking though parks, at a 5 yr. old's birthday party, even on the top of a boxcar once. When you're a dumb kid, nothing can compare to that thrill of thinking the establishment actually cares what you're doing and reveling in doing silly shit hoping someone gives you a reason to run from the cops.

At the same time, I met some of the most caring and decent people in that scene who really cared about their community and making a difference in people's lives. In the end, I wasn't pushing some leftie rhetoric, I was making the world a bit better with my friends.

Have some local folk punk I filmed a long time ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc2PcXMfLGg
>>
>>63471885
Love watching selfish people poorly attempt to moral justify yourself.

>>63470837
>>63471652
>>63471957
Awesome stuff honestly
>>
>>63472024
Morally*
>>
>>63472024
What a fantastic grammatically incorrect statement you made even before forgetting 'ly'

Once again punk tards show themselves up for the brainless little shits they are

You harm every anti-establishment cause that could actually work, you people need to crawl under a rock and die. Leftist idiocy is not going to beat the establishment ever, you are just stupid kids and stupid kids who never mentally matured
>>
>>63471885
>says the guy who has likely never talked to a homeless person, let alone offered a helping hand

Some people I met we're junkie assholes, but most were just down on their luck or social rejects like we imagined ourselves to be. Even the crustier dudes come around when they saw we were coming out multiple days a week and weren't just some self-adulating pricks looking to pad a college application.

I might have been wrong in believing anarcho-communism would save the world, but I honestly think that I nonetheless ended up doing good for my community. It was my first exposure to direct civic action.
>>
>>63472144
>>63472081
I literally worked for a non profit shoe agency that put a pair of shoes on homeless in America, as well as 3rd world countries. Also worked on street teams for a awhile for food distribution. You have no idea what you're talking about the majority of people who are homeless are mentally ill before becoming addicts If in fact they are. You have no concept of street life except you're force fed pol views. Pretty embarrassing tbqh
>>
>>63471928
As someone who was friends with the band, I can almost assure you it was. They were smart guys who knew exactly what they were doing.

I'd imagine they started getting more shit from promoters and younger kids going to shows who weren't familiar with the band. Pretty soon, they can't play a show without somebody telling them to check their privilege or stop appropriating PoC culture and making light of PoC's suffering.

The easiest solution was probably to change their name and save face by making a halfhearted statement explaining why. Times certainly have changed, I guess.
>>
>>63472222
>anyone that isn't an idealist leftist hippy is /pol/
Classic moronic leftists, you people are a joke to EVERYONE, that includes the vast majority of regular people

Anyone else understands cause and effect, you just see MUH EMOTIONS
>>
File: 0040-002.jpg (29 KB, 339x225) Image search: [Google]
0040-002.jpg
29 KB, 339x225
>>63472292
>left
>hippy
>>
File: 1437805958238.jpg (51 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1437805958238.jpg
51 KB, 240x240
>>63472369
>being a commie is somehow better
Where do all you cucks come from?
>>
>>63472222
I don't agree about people not being mentally ill. To the contrary, the awful state of mental health services in my county at the time saw most of these people chronically underserved, only getting off the street when they got pulled in for possession if they were white and intent to distribute if they were brown.

Homelessness and mental illness are fucking awful, but unless you think you have a better solution than trying to help the ones that have a chance and seeing that the ones that don't are at least able to live with some dignity, I'm not sure what you're arguing about.

The three years I spent seeing the firsthand realities of "street life" led to me getting my masters in clinical social work because I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was the right thing to do. You don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>63472403
Are you tallking to yourself, asswipe? I said actual left have nothing to do with radical individualism of any kind.
>>
itt: vegans waking up and talking about folkpnx
>>
>>63472454
ITT:oogles
>>
>>63472427
This. The first lesson you learn in direct action is that the guy who needs a warm blanket so he doesn't freeze on the pavement doesn't give a shit if the person giving it to him is an anarcho feminist or an anarcho syndicalist. After a while, you get the message and stop caring as much too.
>>
>>63472427
>I said actual left have nothing to do with radical individualism of any kind.
No, you posted a smiling communist reaction image with words "left" and "hippy" and maymay arrows
>>
File: 1450419339083.gif (1 MB, 580x433) Image search: [Google]
1450419339083.gif
1 MB, 580x433
>this entire thread
>>
File: a4165857663_16.jpg (74 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
a4165857663_16.jpg
74 KB, 700x700
>>63472081
>you are just stupid kids and stupid kids who never mentally matured

Wanting to help other people is a sign of emotional immaturity, says the guy sat indoors shitposting on 4chan.

I know it's not gonna change the world but >>63471957 sounds like he has a heart and got something out of life, >>63472081 sounds cynical and unhappy. You reap what you sow I guess.

Also pic is most underrated folk punk album
>>
>>63468222
Are you serious? Do you not understand how soil and runoff can impact an entire ecosystem?
>>
Does the Ghost Mice guy still do stuff? He had some good stuff every now and again.
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.