[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>haha anon are you listening to the rugrats soundtrack? you're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 8
>haha anon are you listening to the rugrats soundtrack? you're so weird!
>>
Mark Mothersbaugh did the theme, and the first Rugrats Movie soundtrack is pretty sick.

It probably is better than Painting With.
>>
>>63452637
Kek
>>
>tfw you're enjoying this album so much that you couldn't give a fuck about people calling it their worst album

Feels good.
>>
>>63452707
I hated it at first, but now I really fucking love it, feels good, everyone I know who loves anco and doesn't like PW wishes that they did, and I do love it, so that feels good anon
>>
>>63452963
It's just a good time ya know?
>>
>>63452707
>tfw you really enjoy this album but still consider it their weakest
Feels good when a bands worst is still pretty great.
>>
>>63453828
but centipede hz is half largely mediocre anon
>>
>>63452707
Feels good
>>
>>63452707
>>63452963
I'm in the same boat, PW has grown on me hard, it literally gets better every time i listen to it
>>
>>63453863
I kinda forgot CHz existed, actually. I'd probably rank them about equal. I only truly like 3-4 songs from both albums anyway.
>>
>>63452637
The rugrats soundtrack is better than this shit.
>>
File: FONVQWZh.jpg (192 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
FONVQWZh.jpg
192 KB, 1024x1024
>>63453989
jej
also The Burglars > Bagels In Kiev > Lying In The Grass > Vertical > Summing The Wretch > Floridada > Hocus Pocus > Recycling > Natural Selection > On Delay > Golden Gal > Spilling Guts
>>
>>63453958
Same, I've listened to it over 800 times, around the 753rd listen it became amazing
>>
>>63454171
The Burglars sounds like a fucking intro theme to a tv show it's literally my least favorite track on the album
Recycling best
>>
File: 1454497353024.jpg (7 KB, 244x244) Image search: [Google]
1454497353024.jpg
7 KB, 244x244
>>63454344
>dislikes the album's equivalent of brothersport
>likes rugrats: the closer
>>
>>63454344
I'm >>63453989, The Burglars is the best song on the album.
>>
>>63454391
Recycling has a pretty harmony, but
>likes rugrats: the closer
Made me kek
>>
>>63455041
I think it's pretty good too but honestly they could've done more with it than that instrumental section
>>
File: romanticwarrior.jpg (38 KB, 400x393) Image search: [Google]
romanticwarrior.jpg
38 KB, 400x393
>haha anon are you listening to the mariokart soundtrack? you're so weird!
>>
>>63455075
It seems like it was cut, doesn't it? And I get that feeling with a few other tracks on PW

>>63455099
!
>>
i've been listening to the entire AnCo discog today in reverse chronological order
PW is so much easier to listen to than CHz it's unreal
>>
>>63455166
not even that, it has the same intentional brevity of all the other songs on the album but just doesn't feel like it was expanded on at all whatsoever. once you hear the first round of vocals you've heard all the song has to offer.
>>
>>63452663
this desu
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 319x319
When will people admit this is in their top 3? Scaruffi's a pleb
>>
>>63455411
it really isn't anon
>>
>>63455433
Moonjock and Applesauce are better than anything on MPP
>>
>>63455535
sorry, but other than my girls, bluish, and no more runnin, every song on mpp far outclasses anything on chz
those are two of the better songs though, particularly applesauce
>>
mpp and chz are both really fucking good honestly
>>
>>63455232
idk, if brevity was the end-all adding more to a track would break it's cohesion, wouldn't it?

>>63455411
>>63455664
CHz is heavy, though, listening to the entire album takes an effort.
>>
>>63455810
Yeah, but look at The Burglars, it goes through like five or six different parts through the song and it's still >3 minutes. I'm not saying every song should be dynamic like that, but it doesn't change at all and it's more than 4 minutes long. They should've at least gone with a Lying In The Grass style progression with it.
>>
>>63453585
Yeah it's a genuinely happy album
>>
Going to see Animal Collective in Manchester pretty soon. First time seeing them. What does everyone think of the setlists from the tour so far?
>>
>>63456655
Its going ro be fun.
>>
>>63456655
Its going ro be awful.
>>
File: 1450939280935.png (83 KB, 510x546) Image search: [Google]
1450939280935.png
83 KB, 510x546
>>63452707

Same

You reach a point in your life where you realize you don't have to defend your preferences to anyone.
>>
>>63456655
I saw them in LA, it was awesome. Way better than run the jewels
>>
>>63456819
I think this is what the culmination of /mu/'s ridicule of opinion results in
>>
>>63454171
>Golden Gal
>Second to last
W E W
E
W
>>
>>63454171
objectively wrong
>>
>>63456911
there's so many great songs that I enjoy more that a well executed pop song can't make it much higher
that being said maybe it should be higher than on delay, and maybe both of those should be higher than natural selection
>>63457373
prove it anon
if burglars isn't in your top three yours is objectively worse
>>
>>63456655
>alvin row
>loch raven
>daily routine
pretty good stuff
i dont like the fact that they're plugging the setlist with 90% stuff from the new album. it makes sense, given that they didn't tour the songs first

hope they change the setlist up on the next leg
>>
Anyone got a link to Gnip Gnop?
>>
>>63454171
Summing the Wretch that high up and On Delay/Golden Gal that far down......y
>>
>>63456841
I missed them in LA because they were playing on an important night

They coming back for the tour?
>>
>>63457546
http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/ayvpHVkk/file.html

terrible quality
>>
>>63457963
>http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/ayvpHVkk/file.html
>dat file size

why has this era been terrible for leaks
>>
>>63455535
New Town Burnout is the best track on CHz and you know it.
>>
>>63457743
summing the wretch is highly underrated
>>63458184
it's in the bottom half of that album, sounds way too much like overproduced pop-indie tbqh
>>
>>63455411
not top 3, but 8/10 at least
>>
>>63454171
OBJECTIVE:

the buglars > golden gal > on delay > floridada > veritcal > bagels in kiev > lying in the grass > recycling > hocus pocus > summing the wretch > natural selection > spilling guts
>>
>>63458428
>natural selection that low
>recycling that high
>>
>>63458428
the main difference between us is that you (over)rate the poppier songs highly and have them largely in reverse order but you still have The Burglars at the top so it's alright
also underrating summing the wretch but that's to be expected
I'm actually going to revise mine because I was kind of indecisive earlier tbqh

The Burglars > Lying In The Grass > Vertical > Bagels In Kiev > Summing The Wretch > Floridada > Hocus Pocus > On Delay > Golden Gal = Recycling > Natural Selection > Spilling Guts
>>
Is the Burglars the best AnCo-related (including all solo work) song of the decade so far?
>>
>>63458990
now that I think of it, yes
the only stuff that came out this decade was CHz, two mediocre Avey albums, Tomboy (which is very good but doesn't have any song quite comparable to The Burglars) and PBvsGR, so I'd be inclined to say it's definitely their best song of the decade so far
>>
>>63458990
((((Slow Motion))))), Burglars is def up there tho.
>>
On delay > vertical > Floridada > golden gal > hocus Pocus > the burglars > bagels in Kiev > lying in the grass > recycling > spilling guts > summing the wretch > natural selection

8.3/10 great fucking album
>>
>>63458184
God damn right it is
>>
test
>>
>>63459579
Thank god, 4chan wouldn't let me post without an image for a long time but I finally have it fixed
>>
>>63459579
JESUS, is that your penis? The fuck!
>>
>>63459509
hot opinions bro very clean
>>
>>63459636
small, isn't it :^)
>>
>>63452707
You shouldn't ever give a fuck what people say about your taste in music anyway. That's the plebest thing of all to do.

But yes, this album is phenomenal. People will start coming around. A lot of people at CA have been saying they hated it at first but it's starting to click for them. I don't know why it took so long, shit was immediate for me.
>>
>>63454344
bro theres a reason recycling is the last track on the album.

lol.

confirmed for shit taste.
>>
>>63455411
It isn't. There are too many weak moments.

When will people admit Painting With is one of their top 3?

Literally non-stop joy for me listening all the way up to Spilling Guts.
>>
>>63458184
I can agree with this. Hands down.

It and Moonjock were my favorites.
>>
>>63452637

This album is shit. You ARE shit. Hit the bricks, pal, and beat it 'cause you are going OUT
>>
>>63461654
I used to not like it, but the intro is great and there's some great vocals on the track. I'm still coming around to the outro, I felt like there could have been more, but its what they wanted the track to be. The album is an 8.5 for me, I don't like Summing the Wretch and that's about it. (Bagels in Kiev is top tier, that bridge is so humbling)
>>
>>63462032
Doo do dooo
NANANANA
Doo do dooo
NANANANA
DEE de DEE
NANANANA
DEE de DEE
NANANANA

yeah bagels in kiev is the shit. I enjoy everything all the way up to Spilling Guys. Even Summing The Wretch I enjoy, but my enjoyment slightly drops off around there. So it's a solid 8 or 9 song stretch for sure for me. It's probably one of my top 3 anco albums.
>>
>>63458990
Its pretty good but i think Alsatian Darn, Benifica, New town burnout, monkey riches, amanita, Boys Latin and doin it right are all just as great or better.
>>
>>63459616
I got the same problem in one of these threads
>>
>>63458990
Nope. That title belongs to Mr. Noah.
>>
>>63458990
Did you just not hear Geo's fifteen minute trip-hop epic from last year?

That is by far the best thing they've done in the past five years.
>>
>>63462331
Thanks for reminding me of that anon. I'd put both of those songs above anything on PW. New Psycho Actives probably is their best modern release.
>>
>>63462331
You mean Spring Songs for Stretching? I like Psycho-Actives Volume 1 more.
>>
>>63462454
They're both volume 1 together anon
>>
>>63462147
I agree, if not top 4. It's very different from the rest of their discog, I don't get the hate honestly. Such a great album to jam in the car on a sunny day.

So tuuuurned oooon, byyyyy the delaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaooooooooooooooooooghhhhhhhh
>>
>>63457460
I mean, it was gonna either be 90% PW or 90% new material. That's just what they do. They never bring back a whole lot of older stuff.
>>
>>63462454
>I like Psycho-Actives Volume 1 more.

You mean Tape Player Chants for Winter.

And while I think it's one of the best things Avey's done recently, it wasn't really surprising. Geo's track is the one I was waiting for since his track on the Keep EP.

They said it's probably not going to happen, but I really hope for Psycho Actives Vol. 2
>Panda Summer
>Deakin Autumn
>>
File: 1458514912795.jpg (256 KB, 1280x852) Image search: [Google]
1458514912795.jpg
256 KB, 1280x852
>>63459158
>>63458990

Laughing Hieroglyphic is the greatest song Avey's ever written. If we're including solo stuff, that's far and away the best thing from post ODDSAC. The end of the burglars is GOAT though, it's too bad the buildup is kind of one note despite being like 5 different sections.
>>
>>63463139
>Laughing Hieroglyphic is the greatest song Avey's ever written

That would be Alvin Row, but Down There is definitely one of the best things he's ever made.
>>
>>63455209
still at it, on Campfire Songs now
gotta say, early AnCo is so much more enjoyable than AnCo from MPP and after. so much more alive
>>
>>63456655
I saw them in Boston last month and the setlist was my only complaint t b h. They played mostly songs from Painting With, which is understandable. I liked the album alright, but I had only heard it for the first time less than a week before. Meanwhile they didn't play ANY of the songs that I've loved for years and have an almost spiritual connection to. I was still happy just to get to see them, but it did honestly feel like a bit of a gyp.
>>
>>63459616
>>63462270
>>63459616
A message brought to You by The National Painting With Coalition to Sanctify Negative Painting With Critics for Wanting to Post Negative Reviews (NPWCSNPWCWPNR)
>>
>>63463209
just wait for hollinndagain, they get even more lively anon
>>
>>63463632
i've listened to all of their stuff before haha
i'm just listening to it all in one, uninterrupted sitting
gives you a bit of perspective when critiquing their whole discog
im at pride and fight right now, after this its danse manatee then spirit then im donezo
cant believe i've spent the last 10 hours doing this
>>
Painting with made me cry. Time passes way too fast
>>
>>63454391
on delay is obviously the brothersport equivalent. should have been at the end of the album.
>>
>>63452637
Is it just me or this album really aggressive sounding? To me it was about the same level of moderate grindcore.
>>
>>63452637
ok so whats the deal with all the stickers included? wtf am I supposed to do with this shit and what do they mean? I didn't even look at all of them but offhand I think at least 10% were in chinese.
>>
>>63463924
..stickers?
>>
>>63463971
yeah instead of a lyric booklet there's a sheet of stickers with just words printed on them. I dont have it with me but as I recall there were about 20 words and maybe even some very short phrases I dont remember.
>>
>>63463924
>>63464009
it's the words "painting with" in the world's most used languages
i'm surprised you couldnt recognize at least one of them
>>
>>63463924
>>63464009
I think it's 'Painting With' in various languages
it's cute
>>
>>63457892
They don't have any announced return dates in LA, but they also don't have anything in their schedule between June and September so I'm hoping they play at FYF or Outside Lands.
>>
>>63464040
ah interesting thanks. well I just kinda glanced at it but I'm pretty stupid anyways. That does ring a bell that one of them said painting with but I didnt make the connection at all. I assume I'm supposed to put them on the cover but that doesnt really seem like it'd be interesting at all.
>>
>>63464009
it was pretty dumb. They kinda flubbed the release of the album, especially after all the cool stuff they did for the CHZ release.

First, they shouldn't have announced the album so far off. The only reason to announce it so far ahead of time would be to build hype, which they did not do.

They released a cool app which only worked for legitimately the worst song they've ever put out, LITG. The app is all but useless now.

The Golden Gal video was lazy as fuck

so was the t shirt design

so was some of the songwriting

so was the fact that the deluxe vinyl came with an animated slipmat but no one thought to make the deluxe vinyl clear like wtf

so was the fact that they released official lyrics to journalists but didn't include it with the LP for people that actually care

and instead they put a sheet of stickers that said painting with in different languages

something they said was supposed to capture this worldly feel

of which is only captured in Floridada

idk there was so much potential in every aspect of the released that they just didn't put the effort into making great like everything else they've done.
>>
>>63464080
i remember avey saying something about going to vancouver in september, which means that
a. they're visiting the west coast again
or
b. they're doing a canadian tour (which i would prefer because i live in montreal hehe)

however, the next leg of the tour ends in portugal which might mean that they're taking a break until september (panda is right at home)
>>
>>63464104
i put the portuguese one on my locker :3
>>
>>63464146
>implying Lying In The Grass isn't a great song and one of the better ones on the album. (The only better Panda song is Hocus Pocus)
>implying lyric sheets matter when anyone with the album will just be able to google the lyrics
>implying they ever mentioned a 'worldy feel'
>>
>>63464268
>implying Lying In The Grass isn't a great song and one of the better ones on the album.
extremely Residents sounding so far to start off with which reinforces my assertion that this album is very aggressive sounding. I mean come on the residents were aggressive as fuck.
>>
>>63463842
I can actually kinda see that, but The Burglars still beats the fuck out of it tbqh and still fits better as the album's Brothersport just from the vocal work
>>63463756
Well, there's far worse ways you could've spent your time anon
Next time include all the solo albums so you end on Panda Bear's s/t
>>63464146
>Lying in the Grass
>bad
ya gotta be memeing me buddo
>>63464324
>>63463896
I'm interested to hear why you think this, I don't really hear that at all
>>
>>63464268
Lying in the grass is a boring song. The melody is drab and the weird groaning sampling just sounds like my belly rumbling or a fart. It's just not pleasing to listen to.

Lyric sheets are sweet. SJ came with one and it had more album art, so did CHZ. It's just stupid and lazy that they release the lyrics officially only by emailing the text to journalists. I much rather would have had a lyric sheet with more painting with art (there's plenty more check bdeegee's instagram) than a sticker sheet of literally just words, not even colored or designed in any way--literally plain text. Like they couldn't even do anything with that? use a cool font? make them colorful?

When they announced the record they mentioned that having a sticker with PW spelt in other languages was supposed to capture a feeling of worldliness and travelling, which is only referenced in floridada.
>>
>>63464146
dude they've been doing this so long now they only have enough shits left to give to the actual music, you think they had a big say in the fucking app? or the t shirt design? or the color of the vinyl?
>>
>those Panda Bear vocals at the end of The Burglars
>>
>>63464324
the residents are good though. I'm curious as to what you're referring to as the Resident's aggressive stuff?
>>63464372
how long have you listened to AC?
>>
>>63464419
>Lying in the grass is a boring song. The melody is drab and the weird groaning sampling just sounds like my belly rumbling or a fart. It's just not pleasing to listen to.

Well that's just like, your opinion, man.
>>
>>63464372
>I'm interested to hear why you think this, I don't really hear that at all
the main phrase of the song is extremely similar to some residents song I dont remember which but its an early one possibly on third reich n roll. I mean hows that for an aggressive name. Then also the main horn phrase is extremely similar to the residents but again offhand I dont remember which song but its early.

otherwise I'll have to just keep going through this album again right now to try and give other examples of what comes off to me as aggression which isnt a bad thing and certainly interesting given this style.
>>
>>63464424
yes this was a very corporate release.

They could have stepped in and said,

wait why don't we put all of the singles on the app?

wait how long did it take to design this shirt? this won't sell because it's such a bad design

Wait what's the point of an animated slipmat that is supposed to sync up to Recycling if you can't see it?
>>
>>63464452
dude third reich n roll come on, and thats just off the top of my head. lizard lady? shit dude that band will bite your fucking head off man.
>>
>>63464424
>>63464146
>>63464505
>t shirt
wait what t shirt
im a merch goon, fill me in on this shirt. nothing's showing up on their site
>>
>>63464518
Most of their stuff is conceptually aggressive as opposed to actually sounding aggressive which describes Third Reich. They aren't a really aggressive band. The only other aggressive tracks I can think of are Coming of the Crow and Satisfaction. Maybe some stuff from Mark of the Mole too.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSQMjMK05oE

This is why I loved AnCo. PW is a fucking mess.
>>
File: actourshirt.jpg (329 KB, 1360x1814) Image search: [Google]
actourshirt.jpg
329 KB, 1360x1814
>>63464573

they recently started selling a different one that says AC real big on a cool blue/red texture but this was the PW official shirt, no joke
>>
>>63464583
you dont think lizard lady's aggressive? that collection aint called hell fer nuthin son.
>>
>>63464653
yeah lizard lady is aggressive in a sense I can see it. I need to listen to Hell again. I always like Heaven more
>>
>>63464637
yowza
the thing about anco is that, aesthetically speaking, they are so hit & miss
>strawberry jam / feels artwork
fantastic, really good art
>CHz / PW artwork
nasty, not very nice to look at
>Panda Bear solo tour shirts
very sick
>CHz era tour shirts
vomitrocious

they lack consistency with their artwork and merch which kind of bugs me
>>
about at 1:00 Burglars starts to get pretty aggressive. I mean not overtly aggressive but come on, basically about from 1:00 to 2:00
>>
>>63464706
I totally agree, although I really think CHZ's cover fits the sound and I like the Avey cover of PW a lot. Did you ever see the original cover of CHZ though? hoo boy.
>>
>>63464759
yeah, CHz era in general was weird as fuck
some of their highest highs, and some of their lowest lows
>>
>>63464617
the upbeat parts of that ep sound like what pw should have been
>>
>>63464833
was just listening to Water Curses today and thought the same thing
the title track sounds like something that could have been on PW
>>
There's not a single bad song on Painting With.

I think it's pretty great.
>>
>>63464833
yeah i've seen a lot of PW apologists argue against anyone who says the album is generic aesthetically say "no but who else is gonna do cartoon electronic art pop" and it's like well AC did back in like 2008 and black dice have been doin it for a few years now too
>>
What's everybody's problems with Natural Selection and Summing the Wretch? Two of my favorite songs on the album and they seem to be the most hated.
>>
>>63464875
You must have gotten a copy without Lying in the Grass or Bagels in Kiev.
>>
>>63464146
I agree with most of this, really. AnCo have never been hype machines but the release of PW felt oddly detached. Could have been because the promo cycle for PBVSGR was just so well thought out and executed (same with CHz).
>>
>>63464923
>2 of my favorite songs on the album
uhh heh *clears throat* uh yeah just forgot there was somewhere i had to be
>>
>>63452707
Love hocus, vertical, burglars, golden gal, recycling rest is mediocre

Great live show saw them in denver
>>
>>63464894
summing the wretch is a clusterfuck of incomprehensible dueling vocals with a terrible sense of melody or harmony, with noah yelling words. nor is there a good progression in the song, it just sorta happens and is in your face with how obnoxious it is, it has a bridge that really doesnt do anything or feel like youre just doing a 2nd verse same as the first situation, with a different but better vocal performance at the end thats just one line repeated
>>
Some friends and I got drunk and drugged and watched the rugrats movie on mute with music in the background. Best music video I've ever seen.
>>
>>63464890
Black dice is shit bruh
>>
I am disappointed in Geologist.

These are the laziest and most obvious samples they've ever done.

Remember when you reversed and pitch shifted real audio recordings of Bigfoot, Brian?
>>
>>63464890
Black Dice doesn't make anything close to "cartoon electronic art pop".

>>63465391
Ha ha no they're p. good.
>>
>>63465402
The Wipeout sample in Floridada is brilliant
>>
>>63465337
>obnoxious
which I'm interpreting as aggression which I think is mostly coming from the vocals which admittedly are very different from what I'm used to and consequently jarring.
>>
>>63465426
have you heard Repo or Mr. Impossible? Throw noise in with those adjectives and that's exactly what it is.
>>
>Lying in the Grass

https://youtu.be/iBIva2f-AKo
>>
>>63464637
Really? At their new shows? Any pics?

I got the one you posted at their Chicago show, even though I was pretty disappointed with the design. The one you're describing sounds a lot better.
>>
>>63465337
lol can you enjoy anything?
Thread replies: 141
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.