[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is rock music really dead?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: scott_walker-bish.jpg (149 KB, 648x648) Image search: [Google]
scott_walker-bish.jpg
149 KB, 648x648
>friendly reminder post-rock was the last important and relevent act in rock history
>>
>>63450732
Nowadays it's clear, yes, rock is officially a dead musical language.
>>
Yes, pretty much. Rock won't envolve into anything anymore. Its language has come to and end.
>>
post-rock was corny movie soundtrack music for impressionable teenagers though
>>
what is rock anyway?

guitar music?

what about death grips?
>>
>>63450732
>a genre of music
>dead
When will this meme end? There is no doubt in my mind that rock is nowhere near as relevant it was say 20 years ago but every genre seems to rise and fall in popularity over time. It might come back some day but probably not any time soon
>>
>>63450732
We need a new the strokes
>>
File: image.jpg (146 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
146 KB, 500x500
>>63451939
>>63452005
Kill yourself hip hop teenagers. Of course you and OP would say rock music is dead. When you don't search for new and inventive music and keep listening to the same repetitive music that is spammed on this board every day you're not going to find anything good.
>>
>>63452169
I will give this a listen, but i bet its your average stoner rock record. I don't like hip hop, my main genre is jazz, and even in modern jazz, they're still stucked in old concepts and ideas. Nothing really new has come to the game. Some interestings fusions with noise and weird vocals, but nothing really that impressive.
>>
>>63450732

I think this is pretty good and fairly original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82gCBKswZHs
>>
>>63452117
not trying to start a rude fight on uneven terms here,
Dog,
but "no" to what? To the claim that post-rock was the last stone in the now dead end pathway of rock music, or the claim that along with the author, freedom, art and social stability, rock has made it to the grand list of theoretical deaths?
What I want from you here is to say what new came to us through the riddles of the 3 chord rubric's cube of rock. I was thinking of bringing noise, free improvisation, collage techniques and other tongues of the avant, but most of them, like no wave, are no more - peculiar sights of the hippie and yuppie years now left as a dusty note that nothing new will ever come.
My only optimistic point is that all of the above are just simple gimmicks, nifty ways of being interesting, and that rock like language, doesn't need them in order to say thing, to be relevant, mostly because that like blues or romantic poems, rock music itself finds it's roots in something inherit and everlasting in the human object - it's need of nihilism and hedonism, the cool and the sexy or in the words of Madrugada
(no) lipstick, leather and chrome
or vice versa.
>>
>>63452825
No to the claim that rock music is "dead". Dead genre would imply that nothing interesting whatsoever is being released. I understand that the innovation in rock music has been scanty for a long while, but there definitely has been some good releases that can definitely be applied to the rock tag.

Therefore, I disagree that rock music is dead. It is just stuck. I believe that the development of electronic music will eventually give some minor fields for rock music advancements.
>>
>>63453089
thanks for the quick reply
>>
>>63453137
Np. The development of rock in the next years will be an interesting thing to observe, regardless of how it will (or maybe will not) evolve.
>>
>>63452089
This guy gets it.
>>
I know /mu/ thinks it's a cheesy genre, but math rock has been growing out of obscurity for the past ten years. While it has been creatively explored in almost all ways, it's kept trucking along pretty well. Just look at the line-up for ArcTanGent 2016 - all bands here fill a niche in rock music somehow while also being mostly math rock bands (or post rock)

I'd say rock music in general still has a pretty tremendous influence over music if only for one thing. It floats or sinks with authenticity, and thus can cover so many more subjects than electronic genres could ever wish to do. Compare the amount of political rock acts to political electronic acts, and you'll instantly see you that the genre already has a broader purpose than just being distorted guitar sounds. It's a creative language that can express a ton of things even if the sound is informed by classic band-style line-ups.

>>63453089
I'm eager to see how musicians will work in the future when they begin fusing the automation/perfection associated with electronic music with the expressiveness/authenticity associated with rock music. The last time I even thought of this was when New Wave was big in the 80's and thought it was the end-all-be-all genre. Things are going to get really interesting!!
>>
Rock is laying dormant, it's not THE most popular style any more (which might seem strange after a half-century of dominance), but it's going to come back eventually. Just in a different form than the one you're used to.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.