[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that punk fans despise prog, yet the opposite isn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: punkprog.jpg (363 KB, 1500x750) Image search: [Google]
punkprog.jpg
363 KB, 1500x750
Why is it that punk fans despise prog, yet the opposite isn't true?

I never see people go on punk albums on RYM and trash talk them, but you'll see prog hate as soon as you look at reviews for any album that isn't Close to the Edge or DSotM.

The same is true for hip-hop fans generally hating prog, do these people just not understand how complex and influential the genre is in transforming rock music as a whole into complex art?
>>
>>63450664
>transforming rock music as a whole into complex art

You're a walking parody
>>
>>63450664
Prog gets too much shit but there's a ton of soulless wankery within the genre.
>>
>>63450664
>yet the opposite isn't true?
I can't speak for every other prog rock fan but in general, I find punk music really boring.
>>
>>63450815
>>63450746
>>63450708
None of these are real critiques.
>>
I like what prog I've heard but...

who gives a shit if something is "art" or not
>>
>>63450664
That's because prog fans would be much too elitist to admit they listened to a punk album.

That said, they are both, in the versions that the general public knows them, shit genres. Both are genres where you have to dig past the basics to appreciate their value.
>>
>none of these punks probably even listen to Gentle Giant or Magma
>no I don't have a cigarette
>please stop spitting on me

It's really easy to hate on punks
>>
>>63450664
I like both, as a kid I was into Maiden, then my mates older brother got me into DK, so punk 1st for me. There's shit in both genres, but punk is such a broad term and since Green Day "punk" died for me. My pov, punk was more an attitude, diy etc, so by my crappy standards Death Grips are more punk than Green Day or whatever radio friendly crap is supposed to be punk these days :/

Prog started going to shit with D&D themes and the Phil Collins/Genesis era.
>>
>>63450880
Can't speak for the other two posters but I didn't think an explanation as to why I don't like punk was relevant to the thread.
>>
There's nothing personally offensive about punk. If you don't like the music, no big deal it's just a bunch of fuck ups trying to have fun.

Even the worst prog displays a certainly level of talent and ability, so you know it should be good. But when they waste it doing pop music a la Asia or late 80's Rush then yeah, they deserve to be spat on.
>>
I've seen it cut both ways.
I've known prog fans who hate punk and don't think of it as music, and I've known punk fans who think prog is too self centered and overindulgent.
>>
>>63450664
I'm a huge proghead and I don't care for most punk outside of post-punk

Prog seems to get a lot of hate from indie fans though
>>
>>63450664
prog fans all hate hip hop but not all hip hop fans hate prog
also i know a lot of punk fans who listen to prog
>>63450708
you're what's wrong with punkk
>>63450746
after 1980, this is pretty much true
>>63450815
you're what's wrong with prog
>>63451155
i like 80s collins and genesis but it's not prog
and yeah, the dnd themes and all of the dumb prog metal and neo prog names like "the x aspect" and "the oblivion particle" killed the genre

personally i see a lot of modern jazz fusion as more of a continuation of prog (like hiatus kaiyote) than i see modern prog as a continuation of prog. it's literally wankery thrash metal
>>
I absolutely love punk and prog. Rush and Yes are some of my favorite bands, while The Damned and Charged G.B.H. are some of my other favorites. I enjoy complicated music while also fast and intense music.
>>
I like punk and prog. But than again I like all genres of rock. Prog/punk/math being my favs
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.