[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is vaporwave?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
I mean beyond the music itself (because it's not an actual artistic effort, is it?)?

What does it represent and why is it popular? Is it just an internet joke? Is it culture?

I think it's kind of interesting actually. The music videos and aesthetic is so odd and without substance, coherence or meaning that we could never really explain it to anyone who isn't part of internet culture.
>>
internet people with no talent want to be part of something so they make their own music movement which is just ripping off old music and other media that everybody forgot
>>
>>63444449
It's a joke, it has genuine artistic effort (sometimes), and does have a meaning; something along the lines of using the discarded remnants of disposable corporate culture to draw attention to some vaguely marxist ideas

protovaporwave>vaporwave anyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1flq8LKkzk
>>
>>63444449
A E S T H E T I C
>>
It's another term for YTPMV (youtube poop music video). The fact that faggots will try to attach """deep""" meanings to it is endlessly hilarious (but then again, it's also just part of the joke).
>>
>>63444449
It's basically plunderphonics but made in a simpler way
I don't get what's so hard to get, some people think slowed down 80's songs with some extra bells and whistles on top sounds nice
>>
>>63445176
this
modern equivalent of BoC
>>
>>63445129
You added absolutely nothing to this thread with this.
>thanks faggot
>>
>>63444615
that has got to be one of the raddest vids evaar
>>
>>63444615
looks and sounds like team doyobi
>>
It's just really comfy, this will trigger somebody but yeah. I grew up in miami and got to witness all the vhs/cassette craze. Skyscrapers and old malls were very attractive. (mall of america was on some next level shit)
Pastel colors too.
>>
File: 1434562460408.gif (87 KB, 280x297) Image search: [Google]
1434562460408.gif
87 KB, 280x297
>>63444449
A postmodern phenomenon, vaporwave is the result of those living in a digital age rejecting social norms in longing for better times. Generally it is thought by these producers that at the heart of modern corruption lies capitalism's success over the world economy, and so they turn to a specific time period, the 80's, when the USSR began to die, as a period from which they source much of their content.

This serves the purpose of not just evoking nostalgic feelings of the past combined with modern, almost dystopian production, but it also serves an underlying, more subtle, purpose; piracy. The stealing of music for samples in this genre is so widespread and there are so many micro-labels and underground producers of vaporwave that prosecution by RIAA and major labels would be near impossible, so so many of these so-called "artists" get away with not just musical plagiarism, but as it occurs on places like bandcamp, small batch-sales of cassette and vinyl releases. This is truly the most tragic and hypocritical consequence of vaporwave, that its very conception, which was to criticize consumerist culture, has come full circle and evolved into yet another market, one full of millenials who were never even alive in the 80's (or 90's, lets be honest), scrambling to spend their money on the latest, most obscure casettes of unoriginal, talentlessly produced, garbage.

It seems that just like in 1991, capitalism has won again by turning vaporwave into a market
>>
File: 1414552912134.jpg (57 KB, 489x400) Image search: [Google]
1414552912134.jpg
57 KB, 489x400
>>63446051
>>
>>63445154
Honestly, all the music I listened to before I heard Vaporwave didn't have "deep" meanings, but once I listened to this, I gladly put this shit on repeat religiously and the only meaning that it has to me and in general is literally remembering the 80's. The culture, the beginning of the modern world we have today, etc.
>>
Our Lord and Savior Anthony Fantano birthed vaporwave out of his hipster vag and now he is trying to kill it as he thinks it is nothing more than a meme.
>>
>>63444449
its really just an aesthetic full of trippy nostalgia and deja vu. not much more
>>
>>63444449
>no aesthetic
Your trolling is a little too obvious
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.