[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you organize your music, /mu/? I've got a headache
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9
File: library.png (32 KB, 516x397) Image search: [Google]
library.png
32 KB, 516x397
How do you organize your music, /mu/?

I've got a headache trying to figure out how to see my recently added tracks with MusicBee. The only saving grace of iTunes was that simple feature, it helped me sort through what I'm currently listening to.

Other than that I have folders and sub-folders by genre on my hard disk.
>>
Artist
[date] Album
Track 01 - Title
Track 02 - Title
Track 03 - Title

Artwork - folder.jpg 1000*1000 or best available
>>
Organize by artist. It's the only way to live life.

When you add a track to you music file(s), you have to re-scan with Music Bee said file for it to pick it up. From there, it should go to your inbox and then you can move it to your normal library. You can, of course, change settings to get around all of this, but you have to crawl before you can walk.

Hope that helps.
>>
>>63440806

Music folder (i.e. My Music)
Artist Name - Album
.mp3 files

>>63440806

Doesn't MusicBee has a Recently Added smart playlist by default? I deleted all those stock playlists but I'm sure you could recreate it
>>
>>63440888
My library's already organized by artist which is cool. I haven't fucked around with the 'Inbox' - the way I do it now, I put tracks into my hard drive folders, then I just manually add them to my MusicBee library with the 'add file' mechanic.

>>63440934
It does have that smart playlist, but I can't get it to work! It just shows my whole library.
>>
>>63440964

Post a screenshot of the settings of that "recently added" playlist
>>
File: Untitled.png (989 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
989 KB, 1920x1080
>>63440806
1.Put album in music folder
2.Refresh my library in MusicBee and auto-tag the new album, or do it by myself if the auto's are shitty.
3.Every once in a while I use the auto sort feature of MediaMonkey with this folder structure: <Genre>\<Artist>\<Year> - <Album>
And this track structure: <Track#>.<Artist> - <Title>
Ends up looking like this.
>>
File: format.jpg (45 KB, 90x859) Image search: [Google]
format.jpg
45 KB, 90x859
just started doing this recently so the list is still rather short
>>
>>63440997
Ah I've figured out how to configure the playlist. Thanks so much!

>>63441015
That looks beautifully organized. I'm not used to playing around with so many settings. iTunes mollycoddled me.
>>
>>63441047

good to hear mate
>>
I don't have this problem, I use Spotify
>>
File: Unbenannt.png (2 KB, 215x147) Image search: [Google]
Unbenannt.png
2 KB, 215x147
>>63440806
<Artist>\<Year> - <Album>\<two digit track number>. <Title>.mp3
you probably should use a exclusive tool for batch renaming tracks, and tagging them correctly in the first place. I personally prefer using TagScanner (http://www.xdlab.ru/en/download.htm).

>>63440806
>I've got a headache trying to figure out how to see my recently added tracks with MusicBee.
Edit > Preferences > Library > "new file action" > "add to inbox"
this way everything will be put in a reserved playlist accessible from the sidebar. to be honest I haven't ever tried this, but it should work just fine

you also could create a new library, where you only put your new arrivals in. it's up to you
>>
File: IMG_20160320_115701119.jpg (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160320_115701119.jpg
2 MB, 1440x2560
like so
>>
File: IMG_20160320_115728225.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160320_115728225.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>63441182
also

spoiler: they're not organized
>>
File: Sans titre.png (1 MB, 1601x862) Image search: [Google]
Sans titre.png
1 MB, 1601x862
Doing a simple /artists/album/N° track using mp3tag myself.
Been using MusicBee for a month now and can't figure if there is a way to put the genre in the info like pic related.
>>
>>63440806
1. Learn to use the Auto-Organizing feature of MusicBee. It will make your life easier. Just drag and drop new albums from your downloads folder to inbox, Auto-Tag them and then Auto-Organize them (they're renamed and moved to the proper location of your library). Piece of cake. But first you must configure this feature. You will need to use tags.

2. Recently added tracks? Create an auto-playlist with the parameter Date Added - Is After - put a date here.
>>
Music > Artist names > Album names > however the mp3 filenames are from what.cd
>>
>>63441774
Right click on that layout -> Configure layout -> select Genre at sub-grouping header.
>>
>>63443721

this desu

also I use naked foobar 2k, musicbee is shit and unnecessarily bloated
>>
>>63443915
>unnecessarily bloated
It has everything you need for a proper management and playing of your library. iTunes is bloated, not MusicBee.

Foobar is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>63440806
i just use foobar and sort by folder structure, and just do artist/year - album [format]
>>
>>63443957

whatever you say plebby mcpleb
>>
>>63443994
>not realizing that he's the plebby mcpleb for using lesser software [foobar] and not the superior alternative [musicbee]
>>
>>63440806
1. Go to Preferences
2. Go to the Library section
3. Click Organization
4. On "naming template", paste this:
\<Sort Album Artist>\<Album Artist> - <Year> - <Album>\<Disc-Track#> $If(<Album Artist>="Various Artists","- "<Artist>" ",)- <Title>

You're welcome

Also, use the Sort Album Artist tag (second tab in the Edit File Tags window) in case your artist has multiple names, like Richard David James, and then use Album Artist for specific releases e.g. Aphex Twin, AFX, Power-Pill, Polygon Window, etc
>>
>>63444028

>using a bloated f2k fork is the superior choice

sure plebby, what else? you use windows 10 too?
>>
>>63443867
Well that exactly what I did and what's on the photo, not putting the genre next to the artist's name and date...
>>
mp3tag.exe is bae
>>
>>63444054
Hey pleb, I'm using W7. MusicBee is so obviously superior to that skeleton of F2K that isn't even funny. Bloated? Using 6 MB while minimized and max 50 MB maximized is bloated? What kind of crummy computer you're using if you need every little free KB?
>>
>>63444112
what does musicbee offer over fb2k? you say "skeleton" like it's a bad thing, but i just want something simple that can play tracks and has easily accessible playlist management. i keep everything in my library organized as i add new shit and don't need a program that does it for me
>>
>>63444086
Sorry, I misread that. If you want to move that you will probably have to modify the skin. I don't think there's a direct option to modify that,
>>
>>63444173
Auto-Organizing, Auto-Tagging, converting, better skins, better Now Playing feature, ripping, mini-player/compact player, scrobbling, better library management, etc. It's simply better.
>>
I use iTunes (10.7) to organize my music. Anything imported gets copied into a folder organized by Artist -> Year. It's really simple and what I've always done. Never had a single problem with it in 10 years.

I then scan the iTunes folder with MusicBee and listen through that application.

I rarely go through my Music folder paths. Never saw a need to unless I was transferring music to my phone.
>>
>>63444112

Admit it, you think the iTunes way of 'organizing' your library is the right way, so a f2k fork with a little less bloat than iTunes is the perfect choice for you. And that's OK, but you're definitely a software pleb.

>windows 7

top jaja, I'm outta here
>>
>>63444251
You could use Auto-Organizing and cut the middleman (iTunes) completely.
>>
File: 2016-03-20_10-49-28.png (291 KB, 1276x964) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-20_10-49-28.png
291 KB, 1276x964
>>63444243
>auto-organizing, better library management
I do that manually as I add new music because i'm not retarded
>auto-tagging
a bunch of available plugins for fb2k for that, or standalone programs
>converting, ripping
i believe fb2k can do this as well
>better skins
don't really care
>scrobbling
always been supported by fb2k (i don't think there's anything that can't scrobble these days really), i even use this lastfm integration skin

anyway have fun with your meme program
>>
>>63444243
>converting
>scrobbling
>ripping
f2k does have all that

>better skins
ever been to deviantart?

>better now playing feature
definitely not true, f2k is more customizable in this one thing

the rest may be true but f2k is just an alternative, not an inferior choice
>>
>>63444268
>Admit it, you think the iTunes way of 'organizing' your library is the right way
Nope. I have control over how the files and folders are organized on MB. The way library is displayed on my MB reflects the folder structure.

iTunes has its own messy system of naming files and folders.
>>
I try to put things in Artist folders with Album subfolders. On my NAS, it's all that way, but that's only part of my library so far. Some stuff I got 4 years ago has weird folder structures. Imports in F2K just fine, tho. I sort there by album artist.
>>
>>63444298
>I do that manually as I add new music because i'm not retarded
But you aren't efficient. With Auto-Tagging you get the correct tags from databases such as Musicbrainz + HQ cover art with very few clicks. I could add any downloaded album to my library in a matter of seconds, of course with proper tags, cover and file names.
>>
>>63444282
I have thought of that. I will be building a new PC this year and, when I transfer over my music, I will probably take that route.

However, CoverFlow is very nostalgic for me and I would hate to get rid of that feature. It's such a great visualization tool, especially when showing my music to friends, but it is a major memory hog if used for a long time.
>>
>>63444386
I'm not the person you're replying to, but I like to make sure the tags are exactly right and I'll check several sites for them. Also using a program like mp3tag is actually really quick and easy to do.
>>
>>63444386
i guess, almost everything on wcd is already properly tagged, sometimes i have to go get the cover art but that's really not a big deal. i just retitle the folder as i'm downloading the torrent to year - album title [format] and then copy it into my library under the artist folder, shit you'd have to do anyway if you keep separate folders for your seeds and library
>>
>>63444418
MB has the same priciple as MP3Tag. You get more results when searching for an album automatically and you can pick the right choice. All changes are previewed first.
>>
>>63444460
With Auto-Organizing of MB you don't need to browse target folders anymore. Just drag and drop the downloaded albums and assuming they're properly tagged, they're moved to the right folders from your library. At the same time the folders and files are renamed according to your rules AND the internal database is updated. Full win.
>>
>>63444599
but it takes literally no effort for me to drag it to the right folder. i get why some people would like this but i prefer to do it manually is all
>>
>>63444599
>>63444629
mostly because there are some exceptions where i'll want the album to go under a certain folder, like compilation albums or "x feat. y - album" to go under x's artist folder
>>
>>63441015
No pop punk?
>>
>>63444629
But you still need to find the target artist folder first. And how do you update your player's database to see the changes immediately? Maybe you don't care but some like to have all folder and file names standadized (e.g. Artist - Year - Album/Track - Artist - Title). Not all downloaded files follow your desired pattern.

All this wasted time it adds up. It's much easier to automate things. Let the program do the organizing for you.
>>
>>63444762
>you still need to find the target artist folder
oh god i have to type the first 2-3 letters and press enter. worth the effort to be able to manually combine the folders for artists with several stage names and shit like that

>some like to have all folder and file names standardized
my folder names are all standardized, everything is artist/year - album [format], which is ideal if you browse your library via folder structure instead of by album artist or whatever

i couldn't give less of a shit about how the mp3 files are named, that's just pure autism and has no functional benefit.

>how do you update your player's database immediately
i'm not even sure what you mean by this, fb2k, like i imagine any media player does, scans the locations you tell it to for any changed/added files and then puts them in the list.
>>
sort by date added bro
>>
File: ScreenShot_20160320222159.png (423 KB, 1280x768) Image search: [Google]
ScreenShot_20160320222159.png
423 KB, 1280x768
like pic related since i'm to lazy to organize by genres or years when the album released
>>
>>63444836
>oh god i have to type the first 2-3 letters and press enter. worth the effort to be able to manually combine the folders for artists with several stage names and shit like that
But you still need to open a window, go to your library and then type the first 2-3 letters. When you could do all these low level operations through your player automatically.

>i couldn't give less of a shit about how the mp3 files are named, that's just pure autism and has no functional benefit.
Liking your library tidy =/= autism.

>i'm not even sure what you mean by this, fb2k, like i imagine any media player does, scans the locations you tell it to for any changed/added files and then puts them in the list.
Instead this scanning, wouldn't be better to update the database with exactly the files you added immediately?
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.