[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>they might be giants - they'll need a crane
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
>they might be giants - they'll need a crane
>>
>>63439676
Lately a lot of the stuff I've been listening to reminds me of a very close friend who I parted ways with recently. I think it's cause we both bonded so much over our love of music. It's sad, but it turned out he was literally crazy and didn't know how to handle his feelings and he ended up trying to hurt me but hurting himself instead. :^(
>>
Al Green - Let's Stay Together
>>
>>63439676
>they might be giants
>they're not
>>
>>63439676
Major Lazer - Get Free (ft. w/e female singer)
>>
>>63440017
>Of Montreal
>not from Montreal
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPAVDHo1Elc
listened to this song and album all the time in freshman year of high school when i had no friends. i had just moved, knew no one, and learned that i was shit at making new friends. sat in the corner after swim listening to this......................
>>
>>63440017
They said they MIGHT be giants. Not that they were.

>>63440034
The band name was influenced by a woman who was from Montreal.
>>
File: cardassian.png (115 KB, 432x273) Image search: [Google]
cardassian.png
115 KB, 432x273
>tfw chronic depression
>write a lot of music because it's easier than suicide
>can't listen to half of my material without wanting to kill myself
>tfw people mention some of my shit and it's the songs that fuck me up the most
life is bullshit
>>
>>63440556
Depressed fag here. How do you write lyrics? I have so much I want to get out but I don't know what to do or how to write it and I don't want to come across as a shitty edgy band like all time low
>>
>>63440583
you can't write good lyrics anon, I guarantee it
>>
>>63440593
I never implied otherwise you dumb cunt.
>>
>>63440370
>they might be giants
>they are
>>
>>63440583
just write shit and dont worry about "edginess" and if it's shit then it just gives you more to be depressed about which just fuels your creative vision. so win-win.
>>
>>63439676
King Gizzard - 30 Past 7 sounds like being way too uncomfortably high
>>
>>63440623
Yeah but what I'm worried about is it following a structure. I have no idea what qualifies as proper song writing. Even if it's shit.
>>
>>63440604
nor did I imply that you did imply it friend

it's ok, not many can

just don't worry about it
>>
>>63440647
fuck off you arrogant cunt
>>
>>63440583
>>63440636
ignore this fuck >>63440593 (though idk, everyone is diffetent)

my lyrics are minimal because I actually hate singing over my shit. Most vocal things i use are loops for chord building and background melody.

If I actually decide to use actual words I make the simplest most effective statement to state what i'm trying to state and fit it in where it works and try not to force shit where it doesn't belong

if your songs are musically structured similar to an artist you are influenced by then study how their lyrics fit, and then see if it works for your stuff, eventually it will make more and more sense
>>
>>63440669
Thanks for the kind words.
>>
>>63440662
it's not arrogant, I'm not claiming I can write good lyrics, I'm not claiming I can write better than you either

god you're confused aren't you
>>
>>63440701
You're just another boring uninteresting shit poster with nothing of value to say. You started off the discussion by saying "you can't write good lyrics". Way to shoot someone down before they've even given it a shot you fucking piece of shit. Just as bad as those cunts that say "you'll never make it".
>>
>>63440721
feel free to prove me wrong at any point friend

people who can write poetry, prose, lyrics, and actually do it well, are few and far between

I'm not in that group, and I doubt you are either, so you can either commit to a form of personal expression which you understand is very amateur and flawed (and there is nothing wrong with this) or you should avoid writing lyrics altogether

cheer up
>>
>>63439676
LOVE SEES LOVE'S HAPPINESS
>>
>>63440755
people who can write well in general are rare, but at least in smaller forms there are more possibilities for success, especially when it comes to songwriting.
it really comes down to what stylistically and creatively one is trying to do
Write something with substance that gets a point across
Write a song that tells a story
Write a pop / standard song that is catchy
Write a modern song in the form of a song cycle
Write an abstract/poetic representation of an object/ person/ experience
etc

Some people can only do one, some people can do none, but you likely would never know until you attempted it.

Then you also have to understand the concept of whether or not you are creating with the intent of getting noticed or famous (don't do that it's fucking stupid and nigh improbable) or if you are creating because you want to create. The latter is much much much more open to averageness and those who don't strive for perfection in their art (i'm against this personally, but that's because of personal reasons).

Just look at someone like Daniel Johnston. Some people consider his songwriting utter shit because of the janky chords and fucked up rhythm and lyricism, but others love him for the same reasons

to each their own
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.